• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Book Just Came Out Purge of Ashes, Book One of the Imbalance

#121 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:03 AM

The early Malazan books did have glossaries, but it's easy to forget cuz the later ones drop them. They're how I became fluent in Seven Cities' dialects.

Honestly I think the time and distances are fairly intuitive, but that calendar stuff sounds tougher. There are ways to put them in the story naturally though. E.g. Give someone a flashback that occurs on their sibling's birthday which was on "the 36th and final day of (month whatever)". I do agree w/ you on avoiding straight infodumps, but there are tricks to getting a character to muse on these kinds of things.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#122 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

I've been reading the sample on Kindle, and I just make the time intervals equate whatever seems reasonable.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#123 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 22 June 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I've been reading the sample on Kindle, and I just make the time intervals equate whatever seems reasonable.

I finished the sample, and instantly bought it for Kindle.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#124 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:48 AM

View PostHiddenOne, on 23 June 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostHiddenOne, on 22 June 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

I finished the sample, and instantly bought it for Kindle.

Hear that, folks? INSTANTLY.
Hell yeah :D

The Kindle sample cuts the story off in a funny spot - mid point of view, but nothing to be done about that, I suppose.
It covers what it needs to cover so I shouldn't be fussy. Thanks for the read! You're instantly my bestest buddy.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#125 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Actually, I felt that the sample cut off in such a way as to create suspense and interest, during the action. I meant to ask if you were involved in that process, because it seemed intentional.

#126 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:13 AM

View PostHiddenOne, on 27 June 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

Actually, I felt that the sample cut off in such a way as to create suspense and interest, during the action. I meant to ask if you were involved in that process, because it seemed intentional.

Nah, Amazon just picked a grab of pages. But now that you mention it, I can imagine breaking MID perspective being a good draw. Kind of like this post where I...

#127 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostCoonass, on 28 June 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

grab the lube, lock the door, sit back and press the play button.

Yeah I'm glad you left off there

WHO ARE THE DUNYAIN
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#128 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:44 PM

I see what you did there.

And it was gross.

Also, funny.

Mostly gross.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#129 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostAbyss, on 28 June 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

I see what you did there.

And it was gross.

Also, funny.

Mostly gross.

Next time I copulate I should totally shout 'SWEET SEJENUS!' at the moment of glory.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#130 User is offline   polle 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 21 June 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

For anyone browsing this thread, the Kindle version of PURGE OF ASHES now costs $3 American (or $4 Canadian if you're from my neck of the woods) That's basically half the price it was, and about the price of Glosettes at the movies. I hope acesn8s got it at the deal price!

Thanks for the heads up, just downloaded it. Look forward to reading it!

#131 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:29 AM

I often wonder what the comparison of...

MALAZAN EMPIRE FORUM STRANGERS

VS.

JOEL'S PERSONAL FRIENDS AND FAMILY

...is for reading and reviewing Purge of Ashes. I think you guys have them dead to rights. Friends and family bought the softcovers up pretty readily, but most are anathema to fantasy.

Anyway, hope y'all readers be enjoying it.

#132 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:43 AM

"Blood is thicker than water, but books are thicker than blood." -- Me, speaking with great wisdom.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#133 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

I'm about halfway through
Spoiler

I'm really enjoying it so far, even though, if I take a step back, not much has happened plotwise. The little character vignettes we get throughout are quite engaging.

#134 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 01 July 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

I'm about halfway through
Spoiler

I'm really enjoying it so far, even though, if I take a step back, not much has happened plotwise. The little character vignettes we get throughout are quite engaging.

See, this is a lot of what I'm going for. I want to create a mixture of awesomeness and humanity. Lots of fantasy nowadays seems to be about macroeconomics, nations at war, diplomats, treatise, massive campaigns, etc. I want an exciting book that weaves its narrative well and focuses on the beating hearts of the people at its core. That 'realism' Macros mentioned. One or two characters who are maybe set up to be 'super cool' but the greater part real people who have strengths and weaknesses and souls beyond being super-dangerous or super-genius. Not to spoil much, but this is an element I love from our Sceptre of Katolys :Rodeo: who often has to fight conflicting emotions. I feel like this is the bit I take more from my love of Abercrombie than my love of Erikson - that fallibility of everyone, and the redemption of only some.

Very glad you like it! Have been having some serious discussions about the book's future with a handful of author contacts today, and this was a great comment to read immediately after.

#135 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

How long before the events in the book did things like the Spanwar and the Chakka'ghar being created happen - decaspans or centoraspans? I'm only at page 400, so almost done but not quite.

I agree with the other forumites that there's a lot to like, and a lot that I do like. I want to keep reading until the end, and I'm sure I'll be frustrated until book 2 comes out. With that said:

I think an important reason the citizens of Katolys and other civilian members of the caterpillar feel so detached is that we don't get to know them like we do other character groups. There were no POV sections from any of them, and we didn't get any vignetting to fill in details - past or present - for any individuals.

Even further, I'd say they were pretty much ignored, except for abstract "these are my people and it sucks to see them suffering" thoughts. And when they did stuff that forced the narrators to pay attention to them, they were almost wholly portrayed unsympathetically.

I think one thing that Erikson does extremely well is introduce a character and then make you care for them in a page or two - only to then wrench them away in a manner that leaves the reader with a lump in their throat (I may be misremembering the exact details, but one that comes to mind is the old guy and his sick/blind dog that live outside Darujhistan in TTH). And you did that okay with the POV characters, but we need it for more than just those.

Similarly, we are left without a lot of set and setting type details for the caterpillar. It doesn't feel like a living, breathing entity because we don't see its guts.

EDIT: I also downloaded and have been making good use of your 33%-sized map file from your site. I didn't even realize there were a ton of city names all over the printed version until I viewed it online :p

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 07 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

#136 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:21 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 07 July 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

How long before the events in the book did things like the Spanwar and the Chakka'ghar being created happen - decaspans or centoraspans? I'm only at page 400, so almost done but not quite.

I agree with the other forumites that there's a lot to like, and a lot that I do like. I want to keep reading until the end, and I'm sure I'll be frustrated until book 2 comes out. With that said:

I think an important reason the citizens of Katolys and other civilian members of the caterpillar feel so detached is that we don't get to know them like we do other character groups. There were no POV sections from any of them, and we didn't get any vignetting to fill in details - past or present - for any individuals.

Even further, I'd say they were pretty much ignored, except for abstract "these are my people and it sucks to see them suffering" thoughts. And when they did stuff that forced the narrators to pay attention to them, they were almost wholly portrayed unsympathetically.

I think one thing that Erikson does extremely well is introduce a character and then make you care for them in a page or two - only to then wrench them away in a manner that leaves the reader with a lump in their throat (I may be misremembering the exact details, but one that comes to mind is the old guy and his sick/blind dog that live outside Darujhistan in TTH). And you did that okay with the POV characters, but we need it for more than just those.

Similarly, we are left without a lot of set and setting type details for the caterpillar. It doesn't feel like a living, breathing entity because we don't see its guts.

EDIT: I also downloaded and have been making good use of your 33%-sized map file from your site. I didn't even realize there were a ton of city names all over the printed version until I viewed it online :p

The Spanwar was not too long ago. About 40 spans. Some aspects of timelines to do with the Spanwar can get dicey, though, and you gotta wait for Grip of Dust or book 3.

The Cursad and the Chakka'Ghar happen many, many, many, many centoraspans ago. Before recorded history. It is known only through legend and myth passed down, or directly if you're Ronun Thel. I imagine in some of the greater libraries (Brace Cartia, say) would be some human efforts to scribe what happened and what things were like by way of Chakka'Ghar interview. So people know the C'G story, but don't really believe in Phentom Lite or Rava or the rest. Seems abstract. The gods themselves they believe in - for good reason.

Page 400? Getting to the climax :p
And yes, my map is an amazing beast and I reference it constantly. Grip of Dust explodes all over the world from Sventium, so it will come in handy.

As per the caterpillar, hm. I'm sure there's a way to make stronger connections (always, right?) and I definitely agree about not seeing much of its guts, but it's tough - it's a big book. I don't think I can afford, for example, a POV among the crowd. I try to draw the characters into their plight with scenes like
Spoiler
Spoiler
, or the POV that starts on page 410 (if you're there yet). It might be wise to look at when those scenes occur and where there are gaps to find a way to connect with the refugees in a few more suitable spots. In the end, all that is needed is a POV to perceive/engage with more occurrences within the caterpillar to get, as you say, more of the guts. Perhaps more of this ilk once they enter
Spoiler

"And you did that okay with the POV characters, but we need it for more than just those."

I'd say 'need' is too strong a word here. There are plenty of authors who don't do this and still succeed at story telling. It could improve the story, perhaps, but it is far from essential. A stronger connection between the heroes and the commons? I hear that. But I think I do a solid job of this through characters like
Spoiler
. Especially compared to some other books that never afford tiny people a (brief) perspective at all. At an Erikson level? No such plane in the mortal realm of writing.

Perhaps the fact that I afford SOME tinier moments makes the absence of refugee suffering more noticeable...

Good job! Keep going! You guys are alllllll right.

#137 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:22 AM

View PostSexy Gumbo, on 07 July 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

Shit I forgot to look at BAM yesterday to see if it was on shelf.

BAM?

#138 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

Ooh, maps!

Those help. I was going crazy trying to spot Arc Dago in the in-book map.

Only on Pt II so far. Going slow, b/c right now I practically don't read @ home, as I've been watchin Euro replays all week getting caught uup on games I missed over the weekend.

Liking it, but what others said: editing. Had a few awkwardly constructed sentences that made me re-read a few times, mentally trying to figure out what kind of punctuation needs to go there between words.

Also, this may be RAFO, or me being stupid, but
Spoiler

Make sure to drop me a PM if you eve r do a book-signing in one of the West-end Chapters stores!
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#139 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

My Main site has maps and further book details. Worth checking out if you're reading Purge at the moment.

Minette's in the Dramatis Personae: she's the third entry under the CULLAS FAMILY heading. I left her out of the Kloss family listing despite her shared lineage as the families are quite separate.

Also: here's a link to my map for those without:
That's from my Google Drive. Hope it works. I really should find a way to get a zoomable version up online, but the file size is enormous.

If I ever do book signings, everyone shall know! Or better yet, just join me ON FACEBOOK or ON TWITTER.

ONE OTHER QUESTION for anyone reading Purge on the Kindle at the moment - can you check your KDP copy and see whether it has auto-updated for me? Here is the best way: locate the PROLOGUE's first paragraph and tell me if the opening bit about the young scribe is in italics as part of the chapter intro, or in regular text as the first part of the prologue itself. Much appreciated!

#140 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:41 PM

Only Prologue is in italics for me (Actual Kindle and Kindle app on my phone).
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users