• You cannot reply to this topic

My Book Just Came Out Purge of Ashes, Book One of the Imbalance

#101 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

View Postworry, on 06 June 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

Opportunity knocked and gambling with your baby is just an insane choice to have to make.

It was sort of the same here. I had a month left to release when everything went sour. Joel was pretty much on top of his release date. It was a really tough decision to walk away from it.

Also, Fresh... Would that editor partake of Murmaider, by any chance?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#102 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

I think Joel had said about a reprint when Grip got a deal and was published?
If that was the case I would get an edit done before republishing, possibly get it tied into whatever deal you get for the next two books?

#103 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

I think Joel had said about a reprint when Grip got a deal and was published?
If that was the case I would get an edit done before republishing, possibly get it tied into whatever deal you get for the next two books?

YES! To everyone. Except the murmaider. Unless that was referring to Tim Marquitz from Ragnarok. He comes recommended for his editing and his prices are generous. I would hire him today (he has a deal on!) if I hadn't been only vaguely employed over the past two years. I'm a full time teacher again come September, but it might be longer before I can gather the money.

THUS what Macros said is likely how it will go. I will keep pushing Grip of Dust forward, as doing all this 'publishing biz' has slowed it down some, but when the time comes to pimp THAT book, I will pay to edit Purge up to snuff as well. Then release both at once, preferably through a new publisher. WITH MAPS! AND NEW COVERS! AND GLORY! Oh, the glory.

And worry, as for your certain dour bandaged fellow, most def. Just be ready for Grip to expand geographically pretty quick :p
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#104 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 June 2016 - 05:15 AM, said:

100% the right move to get the good editor(s) for the next book. This book is still very good, even with its weak spots. I'm taking my time going through it because it is so damn worthy of my attention and I'd like to point out the spots in a way that helps you be a better writer without tearing down your enthusiasm or joy.

This set of characters and story is going someplace interesting. You can do this, Fresh.

worry said:

That map thing -- wow that's tragic. You've had a bunch of frustrations for sure, but I hear you about getting the book out. Opportunity knocked and gambling with your baby is just an insane choice to have to make. I know this is kinda pie in the sky thinking, but if you ever get the shot to put out a revised edition (and again, I'm talking for word choice and flow, not major story edits) I'd say don't shy away from it out of purist reasons. That said, I know you're already writing the next one and have to be forward-thinking cuz of the publisher issues, so most of my reaction is just a big fat congrats.

Thanks, both of you. It has been soul crushing, but no amount of 'publishing' soul crushing is going to fuck with the creative aspect of the work. Grip will come to be. As shall Book 3. It's all a matter of tiiiiiiiiime and money. And sexy lobster girls, but that's another story entirely.

#105 User is offline   Itwćs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:50 PM

Upside of being not-advanced non-native is I overlook all the errors and see strange sentence structures as a form of lyrical wordplay, I guess.

I'm at chapter 10 (don't worry, I'm usually that slow because ^) I really like the book. Malazan influence is certainly visible, characters are realistic and likeable and I'm really interested in seeing more of the world

Spoiler

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#106 User is offline   Itwćs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia

Posted 06 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 06 June 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

NEW COVERS!

I really like the current one, I'd like to see whole series in the spirit of this one but I realise it could be difficult now anyway

This post has been edited by Itwćs Nom: 06 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#107 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostItwćs Nom, on 06 June 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Upside of being not-advanced non-native is I overlook all the errors and see strange sentence structures as a form of lyrical wordplay, I guess.

I'm at chapter 10 (don't worry, I'm usually that slow because ^) I really like the book. Malazan influence is certainly visible, characters are realistic and likeable and I'm really interested in seeing more of the world

Spoiler

Scalion did nothing, Scalion is innocent of this crime!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#108 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:11 AM

View PostItwćs Nom, on 06 June 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostTatterdemalion, on 06 June 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

NEW COVERS!

I really like the current one, I'd like to see whole series in the spirit of this one but I realise it could be difficult now anyway

Yeah, I had three planned out - each structured similarly but with a different colour scheme, a different 'element' (ashes, dust, rain) and different characters... but an artist screwed us over and then there was no time left. The one you see was put together in rather short order. I love the background and the birds, and on the whole am happy with it (spine and back look nice), but it could use a human element. Vast majority of successful covers have SOME sort of person.

The original mock up for Purge had Raruk, Orenzo, Eunice and Avery bursting from a storm of swirling ashes.

#109 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:12 AM

P.S. GUYS.

Just got the report.

My dad likes it so far.

THIS is what success tastes like.

#110 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:49 PM

so, this arrived today. Shiny.

Will get on that once I'm done "Aeronaut's Windlass"

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  Purge.jpg (1.16MB)
    Number of downloads: 1

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#111 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:01 AM

That photo is bigger than the actual book!
Seriously, though. I hope you enjoy it and shower me in praise.

Genuine hope, that.

#112 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:36 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 13 May 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 12 May 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Quick question Joel.

Could you clarify the time/day/week/year cycling for me?

I get that a span = a year.

But I like to have a good idea in my head how long something is if you get me.
How long is an endea? How many endea to a span etc?

Give up all my secrets, eh? Gonna use 'em to scour for continuity errors, eh? Fa on you! Use the context!

Okay, fine.

...but only because you guys are giving me love. These are the general conversions from my almanac.

TIME
sixtieth ~ 1 second
tic ~ 1 minute
tora (centoratic) ~ 1 hour
endae ~ 1 day (usually simply referred to as a 'day')
midendae ~ midday
endae aft ~ afternoon
half-decadae ~ 5 days
decadae ~ 10 days
enspan ~ 1 month
half-span ~ 6 months
span ~ 1 year
centoraspan ~ 100 years
on the morrow ~ tomorrow
last endae ~ yesterday

But for distance and weight measurements, you gotta pay extra! :)

Praise Xyn! I just pulled this off my TRP and started it yesterday. It's good so far, though a little hard to get into, so it's been slow going. It took me until around page 40 to get my head wrapped around the setting and characters, and it's been a better read since then. However, the time measurements are a bit of a problem — instead of immersing me more in the world, they're drawing me out. Mainly because I have no idea how long any of these are! After reading your post, it makes me question even more why you decided to go with in-world names instead of real ones, but I realize that people enjoy bits like that (and I do too, but not always). I'm not really sure why they're not sitting well with me, to be honest.

Regardless, thanks for posting this little guide. I will probably be referencing it throughout the first half of the book — at least :)

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 19 June 2016 - 01:38 AM

#113 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 June 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

View PostTatterdemalion, on 13 May 2016 - 02:37 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 12 May 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Quick question Joel.

Could you clarify the time/day/week/year cycling for me?

I get that a span = a year.

But I like to have a good idea in my head how long something is if you get me.
How long is an endea? How many endea to a span etc?

Give up all my secrets, eh? Gonna use 'em to scour for continuity errors, eh? Fa on you! Use the context!

Okay, fine.

...but only because you guys are giving me love. These are the general conversions from my almanac.

TIME
sixtieth ~ 1 second
tic ~ 1 minute
tora (centoratic) ~ 1 hour
endae ~ 1 day (usually simply referred to as a 'day')
midendae ~ midday
endae aft ~ afternoon
half-decadae ~ 5 days
decadae ~ 10 days
enspan ~ 1 month
half-span ~ 6 months
span ~ 1 year
centoraspan ~ 100 years
on the morrow ~ tomorrow
last endae ~ yesterday

But for distance and weight measurements, you gotta pay extra! :)

Praise Xyn! I just pulled this off my TRP and started it yesterday. It's good so far, though a little hard to get into, so it's been slow going. It took me until around page 40 to get my head wrapped around the setting and characters, and it's been a better read since then. However, the time measurements are a bit of a problem — instead of immersing me more in the world, they're drawing me out. Mainly because I have no idea how long any of these are! After reading your post, it makes me question even more why you decided to go with in-world names instead of real ones, but I realize that people enjoy bits like that (and I do too, but not always). I'm not really sure why they're not sitting well with me, to be honest.

Regardless, thanks for posting this little guide. I will probably be referencing it throughout the first half of the book — at least :)

"Praise" Xyn?
You monster!

Perhaps an immediate contextual clue for each main one (tic, tora, span, endae, decadae) is key.

For fun I searched up the first sentences to contain each of the aforementioned timeframes to consider how well they give a sense of length:

TIC: "She tried to work out a plausible solution as to what could have happened, but after a tic of possibilities nothing came to her."
So we know it's fairly short, but nothing overt. Also, the term might be so fresh it just confuses.
TORA: "The man had praised the creation of the window to him for a tora before Bale agreed to see it."
This gives you pretty little as a tora could be an hour or a whole afternoon.
SPAN: "Her younger self would have gaped like a lymph hooked by the gills, but as she was a whole of eleven spans now, she showed some decorum by gaping like a lymph at the encompassing architecture."
Yay! This one is a certainty - and thus, from it, 'enspan' (smaller portion of a span) and 'centoraspan' (century of spans) should not be hard to figure.
ENDAE: "They had finished a cargo run to Loce by the usual route up the Rivers Two and were one endae away from embarking back to Menomar when the stranger had appeared suddenly beside their table at the Sister's Pike."
Endae seems pretty interchangeable for 'day' here, as it should be.
DECADAE: "She and Aruban’s company had been the only thing keeping him from drowning in choa the last few decadaes, and even they might prove inadequate if the company's stasis continued much longer."
This could be a range of times, but while it is one of the weirder terms I hope the 'deca' for 10 and 'dae' for day imply about 10 days.

Thanks for reading Whisperzzzz! I hope you find it settles into a fine pace. That's one of the things I don't worry about!

#114 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:34 AM

One problem I had was with endae and enspan. Why is an enspan 1/12 of a span, but an endae is a full day? Shouldn't it be 1/12 of a day?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 19 June 2016 - 04:35 AM

#115 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:45 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 June 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

One problem I had was with endae and enspan. Why is an enspan 1/12 of a span, but an endae is a full day? Shouldn't it be 1/12 of a day?

Good question, but bear with me:

An 'endae' would be 1/10 of a decadae.
An 'enspan' would be 1/10 of a span.

One tenth? Don't you mean one twelfth?

Above I posted 'my notes' showing the breakdown of time in Imbalance. These are generalized for quick reference as sometimes I have to write intermittently. As such, they are somewhat simplified. Perhaps I should spend some time there making them more specific. Anyhow, in my notes I have 'span' as year and 'enspan' as month.

But months are a different length in Imbalance. Roughly 36 days. As such 10 'months' or 10 'enspan' will give you 360 days, or a 'span.'

Thus, an 'enspan' would be 1/10 of a span and an 'endae' 1/10 of a decadae - 10 days.

The seasons last 90 days, roughly. Thus there are 2.5 enspan per season. Enspan are not named like our months, but there are four (familiar) seasons:
Kwara - summery
Nagna - autumnal
Xyna - cold and awful
Anona - bright and growing

Depending where you are in the world, each season comes with its own set of visible constellations as well - but the character that delves into this is coming in Grip of Dust.

Suffice?

#116 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:54 PM

Bought the Kindle version today. Will start reading today or tomorrow.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#117 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:14 AM

For anyone browsing this thread, the Kindle version of PURGE OF ASHES now costs $3 American (or $4 Canadian if you're from my neck of the woods) That's basically half the price it was, and about the price of Glosettes at the movies. I hope acesn8s got it at the deal price!

#118 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 20 June 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 19 June 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

Good question, but bear with me:

An 'endae' would be 1/10 of a decadae.
An 'enspan' would be 1/10 of a span.

One tenth? Don't you mean one twelfth?

Above I posted 'my notes' showing the breakdown of time in Imbalance. These are generalized for quick reference as sometimes I have to write intermittently. As such, they are somewhat simplified. Perhaps I should spend some time there making them more specific. Anyhow, in my notes I have 'span' as year and 'enspan' as month.

But months are a different length in Imbalance. Roughly 36 days. As such 10 'months' or 10 'enspan' will give you 360 days, or a 'span.'

Thus, an 'enspan' would be 1/10 of a span and an 'endae' 1/10 of a decadae - 10 days.

The seasons last 90 days, roughly. Thus there are 2.5 enspan per season. Enspan are not named like our months, but there are four (familiar) seasons:
Kwara - summery
Nagna - autumnal
Xyna - cold and awful
Anona - bright and growing

Depending where you are in the world, each season comes with its own set of visible constellations as well - but the character that delves into this is coming in Grip of Dust.

Suffice?

That makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

I wonder if a quick n dirty glossary of this would be nice to include in the books?
While most things can be inferred during reading, this seems a bit complex.

#119 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 21 June 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

For anyone browsing this thread, the Kindle version of PURGE OF ASHES now costs $3 American (or $4 Canadian if you're from my neck of the woods) That's basically half the price it was, and about the price of Glosettes at the movies. I hope acesn8s got it at the deal price!

I believe I did get it on sale.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#120 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 21 June 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

That makes a lot more sense! Thanks!

I wonder if a quick n dirty glossary of this would be nice to include in the books?
While most things can be inferred during reading, this seems a bit complex.

I considered it at length.
Took the Malazan road.

I imagine there is a way to make it ALL streamline and accessible without exposition.
I DO wish the mega map wasn't so small and ineffective, because having that would help with a whole whack of geography-related terms.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users