Malazan Empire: Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It Formerly the reading thread... SPOILERS for all things Malazan.

#41 User is offline   benelori 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

Yep...I'm most certain it is Edgewalker...Kurald Emurlahn has been shattered for a looong time by now, and my guess is that they are still calling it KE, because it hasn't fully formed yet as a "human" warren

#42 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

Wasn't Kurald Emurlahn shattered during the civil war. With the death of.... I can't even remember the name of the Edur prince. Scandabari-something?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#43 User is offline   Khestrassa 

• Recruit

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 March 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Wasn't Kurald Emurlahn shattered during the civil war. With the death of.... I can't even remember the name of the Edur prince. Scandabari-something?

Scabandari Bloodeye was his name, and Kilmandaros and Mael killed him after he betrayed Silchas Ruin's Tiste Andii, but this event was after the shattering of Emurlahn. And it was eons before this story took place.

#44 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

Right, the warren shattered because Scandabari killed the other Edur nobles or something? Shit, I used to be so good at this stuff.

#45 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 March 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

That entire sequence reminded me of Gotm and the assassin war in Darujhistan

That is clearly Edgewalker and I think KE has been shattered for a long time. Remember that flashback sequence when Rake and Kili went into a warren to do some dragonslaying?I think that was it

Yeah, there is another mention in the book that helps clarify this, but I am struggling to remember whether it was before or after Abyss' reading point, so I can't say more yet.

But yes, very clearly going to be Edgewalker, and the warren is shattered
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#46 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 04 March 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

Right, the warren shattered because Scandabari killed the other Edur nobles or something? Shit, I used to be so good at this stuff.

View PostNevyn, on 04 March 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

That is clearly Edgewalker and I think KE has been shattered for a long time. Remember that flashback sequence when Rake and Kili went into a warren to do some dragonslaying?I think that was it

Yeah, there is another mention in the book that helps clarify this, but I am struggling to remember whether it was before or after Abyss' reading point, so I can't say more yet.

I think the warren shattered due to the civil war and the invasion of the Dragons. Its mentioned somewhere else that Rake tried to save Emurlahn. I think the fighting dragons part ties directly into that.

#47 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

65%ish...
Dorin hunting Nightblades.... Perfect.
Dorin getting a job offer from the Nightblades in the process... More perfect.

Also interesting..."Already during her investigations she'd had to shy away from the attention of the one left behind within Kurald Emurlahn, its champion. She would most certainly not wish to be caught by him ."...Edgewalker? Is KE shattered yet? So much question....

I totally got the same Darujhistan rooftop assassin fight vibe.

View Postbenelori, on 04 March 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Yep...I'm most certain it is Edgewalker...Kurald Emurlahn has been shattered for a looong time by now, and my guess is that they are still calling it KE, because it hasn't fully formed yet as a "human" warren

Logical.

View PostKhestrassa, on 04 March 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Scabandari Bloodeye was his name, and Kilmandaros and Mael killed him after he betrayed Silchas Ruin's Tiste Andii, but this event was after the shattering of Emurlahn. And it was eons before this story took place.

Right, the warren shattered because Scandabari killed the other Edur nobles or something? ...

Yep, that.

View PostAndorion, on 04 March 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

I think the warren shattered due to the civil war and the invasion of the Dragons. Its mentioned somewhere else that Rake tried to save Emurlahn. I think the fighting dragons part ties directly into that.

iirc Rake and Kila were just trying to keep others from seizing chunks of the breaking warren for themselves. Likely that's when Rake chained up the three Elient in what became Meanas. It was already too late to save the KE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#48 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2016 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 04 March 2016 - 03:51 AM, said:

65%ish...
Dorin hunting Nightblades.... Perfect.
Dorin getting a job offer from the Nightblades in the process... More perfect.

Also interesting..."Already during her investigations she'd had to shy away from the attention of the one left behind within Kurald Emurlahn, its champion. She would most certainly not wish to be caught by him ."...Edgewalker? Is KE shattered yet? So much question....

I totally got the same Darujhistan rooftop assassin fight vibe.

View Postbenelori, on 04 March 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Logical.

View PostKhestrassa, on 04 March 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

Right, the warren shattered because Scandabari killed the other Edur nobles or something? ...

Yep, that.

View PostAndorion, on 04 March 2016 - 03:46 PM, said:

iirc Rake and Kila were just trying to keep others from seizing chunks of the breaking warren for themselves. Likely that's when Rake chained up the three Elient in what became Meanas. It was already too late to save the KE.

Yeah it was probably a futile enterprise, iirc Kili betrays Rake or rather tries, but Rake wins through. And I think its after this when he returns he has Silanah by his side. I always like to think that Kili had a crush on Rake and when she saw him taking up with Silanah she threw a hissy fit. It would also explain her hatred of dragons.

#49 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

She was also the, er, patron of the FA if I remember correctly. And they were almost wiped out by the Eleint. So her anger may spring from there.

#50 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

That knife fight on the roof... That was glorious.
And of course, OF COURSE Wu has a small army of child mages.A SMALL ARMY OF CHILD MAGES.

#51 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:18 PM

Something I thought of today: We see that Kell from the beginning has a penchant for taking in children and offering them protection in return for service. This puts the DG scene where Apt gets Shadowthrone to rescue the crucified kids into a new perspective. I mean Shadowthrone acted reluctant, but we know that those kids got magically healed and then drafted into a shadow army, so there maybe a continuation in behaviour pattern here....

#52 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:35 AM

View PostAndorion, on 05 March 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

Something I thought of today: We see that Kell from the beginning has a penchant for taking in children and offering them protection in return for service. This puts the DG scene where Apt gets Shadowthrone to rescue the crucified kids into a new perspective. I mean Shadowthrone acted reluctant, but we know that those kids got magically healed and then drafted into a shadow army, so there maybe a continuation in behaviour pattern here....

And sacrificed when he needed them to be. Oh yeah, there's a trend there.
Shal just unloaded KT on the Kanese. Ouch.

#53 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostAbyss, on 06 March 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 05 March 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

And sacrificed when he needed them to be. Oh yeah, there's a trend there.
Shal just unloaded KT on the Kanese. Ouch.

Oh yeah! The big boom of the book. Lends some perspective to Silk's unleashing KT in RotCG. We thought that was impressive back then

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:50 AM

Aaaaaaand DONE. And it was great. I'll do a proper Just Finished It shortly, but we are spoilers open and good to go in the thread, and I for one am looking fwd to the chatter.

#55 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:19 AM

I finished it last night too, by far ICE's best work.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#56 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

Now that you've read the book, is this the central spoiler thread?

If so, seeing ICE's portrayal of a young Kellanvend, I have to wonder if Iskaral Pust is a human aspect of Shadowthrone. The behaviour of the two is so very similar, and there was always mystery tied to Pust regarding his power and knowledge.

#57 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Now I guess I can more safely qualify.

I think it was in the section where the Thelomen mage is telling the story to Ho and Silk (not 100% on that). He mentions those involved in closing off Emurlahn after the war and the shattering (Kilmandaros, etc), and mentions that Rake set a guardian on the borders of the sealed off warren.

Didn't mention it explicitly before as I did not remember for sure if that mention was before or after the point Abyss was at in reading. But that combined with what we know from the main series pretty much confirms it is Edgewalker.

Impressive/interesting that while they have attracted hounds, K and D have managed to avoid his attention thus far. In fact, it seems like they mostly avoid his notice until they ascend, unless I am remembering NoK incorrectly. Everyone is so scared of Edgewalker, I just hope he gets to do one awesome thing somewhere in any of these books (might be in the Kharkanas series rather than this one).
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#58 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

View PostNevyn, on 08 March 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Now I guess I can more safely qualify.

I think it was in the section where the Thelomen mage is telling the story to Ho and Silk (not 100% on that). He mentions those involved in closing off Emurlahn after the war and the shattering (Kilmandaros, etc), and mentions that Rake set a guardian on the borders of the sealed off warren.

Didn't mention it explicitly before as I did not remember for sure if that mention was before or after the point Abyss was at in reading. But that combined with what we know from the main series pretty much confirms it is Edgewalker.

Impressive/interesting that while they have attracted hounds, K and D have managed to avoid his attention thus far. In fact, it seems like they mostly avoid his notice until they ascend, unless I am remembering NoK incorrectly. Everyone is so scared of Edgewalker, I just hope he gets to do one awesome thing somewhere in any of these books (might be in the Kharkanas series rather than this one).

The line - they set a guardian who cannot be defeated was such a tease.

Why cannot he be defeated?! Probably something to do with the fact he's a walking bag of bones but WHY?!?!?

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#59 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

View Postchamp, on 08 March 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

The line - they set a guardian who cannot be defeated was such a tease.

Why cannot he be defeated?! Probably something to do with the fact he's a walking bag of bones but WHY?!?!?

You can't defeat someone who never fights you.

#60 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

I haven't delved too deeply into Dancer's Lament yet, but is it just me, or is this the most ... Book of the Fallen-like Esslemont novel so far?
This release also has me jonesing for a reread of everything but there was this huge currently-reading pile ...
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users