Malazan Empire: Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It Formerly the reading thread... SPOILERS for all things Malazan.

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:49 AM

New ICE book wheeeeeewwww...
You know the drill. Spoilers to wherever I'm at, no other spoilers in this thread til I'm done please. Start your own thread if you're so inclined.
Go...
ETA TO ADD: you can skip the reading comments and jump to my Just Finished It post here:
http://forum.malazan...ost__p__1224469
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:31 AM

Dramatis Personae...
Wait... Wu.... Who.... Hee.
Hey some of these mages are familiar. As in CGrd familiar. Also, Ho.... Oh ICE you are clearly having fun w this.
Into the book... Is that Ammanas and Dancer already?
I think we know that monkey... And possibly that Jaghut... That whole encounter was fun.

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

The DP is so far the best part. I haven't gotten any further than that yet though.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

I think it's time I caught back up with ICE...I'm two books behind not including this one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 February 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

I think it's time I caught back up with ICE...I'm two books behind not including this one.

Same here, haven't read Blood or Assail yet, not sure if I want to though I know I'll totally crumble and buy this.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:51 PM

I thought BLOOD and ASSAIL were totally worth the dollars and eyetime. I know some forumites disagree but they're cold and dead inside and you should kill them all w fire or just ignore them.

Onwards....
Fun opening, very Malazan.... I love that the book started w K/D stealing a Jaghut's pet monkey. Sort of.

#7 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:00 PM

Just finished this. Got to say it's ICE's best book. Nice weaving in of established characters and a great introduction to the first encounters of the three. Really looking forward to the rest of this series.

#8 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:34 PM

Yeah, I crumbled and bought it, how could I not, a book about the early days.

Totally loved the opening prelude and chapter 1, feel like I am going to enjoy this book. Everything I expect from a book about those two so far hah.

Prelude spoiler...

The lines paraphrasing:
Spoiler

Convinced me I will enjoy this read.

That's what annoys me about ICE, he can right damn well but when the books got bigger he added boring shit into them that fall flat for me.

I think he's going to turn out better at the focused story telling rather than massive connecting plots.

Hope this continues!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:20 AM

Heh... Leave it to Dassem to make an entrance, even half dead, young, and pre-ascension (maybe)(any of them)....re Ryllandaras.... "we fought all night"....hee.

Silk! This is way too much fun...
And Ho... Both part of the protectress' cabal too. ...and Smokey and Mara too. Interesting, tho in Smokey's case m surprised, he wasnt that much of a powerhouse in RCG. Mara makes sense.

Wondering at th conflict between the Protectress and Hood... And with Dassem nearby...

...Damn I missed this world.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

Ordered it from Book Depository.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 February 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

Heh... Leave it to Dassem to make an entrance, even half dead young and pre- Ascension.

Silk! This is way too much fun... And Ho... Both part of the protectress' cabal too. ...
....and Smokey and Mara too. Interesting, tho in Smokey's case m surprised, he wasnt that much of a powerhouse in RCG. Mara makes sense. Wondering at th conflict between the protectress and Hood... And with Dassem nearby... Damn I missed this world.

Couldn't you be a bit more explicit for those of us who haven't got the book as yet and are waiting for crumbs falling of the tables... some big crumbs would be nice!!! :p

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

what about the other two?

#13 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostEgwene, on 26 February 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

Heh... Leave it to Dassem to make an entrance, even half dead young and pre- Ascension.

Silk! This is way too much fun... And Ho... Both part of the protectress' cabal too. ...
....and Smokey and Mara too. Interesting, tho in Smokey's case m surprised, he wasnt that much of a powerhouse in RCG. Mara makes sense. Wondering at th conflict between the protectress and Hood... And with Dassem nearby... Damn I missed this world.

Couldn't you be a bit more explicit for those of us who haven't got the book as yet and are waiting for crumbs falling of the tables... some big crumbs would be nice!!! :p

You're really demanding more spoilers?
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 February 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 26 February 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

what about the other two?

I'll still read 'em.

#15 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostNevyn, on 26 February 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

I am and I am racing to that new thread I just spotted!!!!!

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostEgwene, on 26 February 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Verbal is Kaiser Soze, Vader is Luke's father, Dil has a penis, Malcolm was dead the whole time.

#17 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 February 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

View PostEgwene, on 26 February 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Verbal is Kaiser Soze, Vader is Luke's father, Dil has a penis, Malcolm was dead the whole time.

:p I knew it!!!!! :)

#18 User is offline   kkyyyssss 

• Corporal

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:01 AM

Finished it today. Have to agree, this is his best by far. Really liked that he went back to a writing style more like in "Night of Knives" instead of continuing to try to copy Erikson's. This is much better than his last 3 books and the story flow is also very good. No long philosophical debates or switching characters every 2 pages. Great start to a new series that looks like it will be AWESOME!

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

Heh... Liss, Gris... The Crimson Guard... ICE really can't resist his favorites. Even Yath.

Enjoying Dorin/Dancer's storyline... There's a simplicity to it that works nicely among the more complex 'political' plotlines. Even the origin of the Dancer alias... Almost cute.

Silk's trip to the catacombs... So very malazan that sooner or later someone's always locking up powerful troublemakers underground.

Am enjoying the Heng high mages... The familiar ones are different and the new ones are interesting.

Koroll and his service to Shal is an obvious Bellurdan type but less... Blunt.
Smokey had an interestingly moment with Iko.
Silk... I wonder how much this will change anything from his parts in RCG. Will have to see on the reread.

Interesting ... Ho created the prison Ryllandaras was in in RCG.

End Ch3.... And the Elder Gods are in play... SisCold... That wil be interesting, we haven't really seen her active before. The Errant... Still a dick. K`Rul. And hints of either Drac, Rake or both. Oh damn this is good.

Ch 4.... More Dassem badassery.
Silk and co kicking ass.
Dorin too... The Faruj ref was interesting.
Akaronys ref!

Am very very curious about Ullara now.

#20 User is offline   Kartoolian Spider Squisher 

• Recruit

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

POST CONTENT DELETED.
IF YOU WANT TO POST LATER SPOILERS START YOUR OWN OR FIND AN APPROPRIATE THREAD.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 01 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

There is a line before me that demarcates where you stop being treated as citizens and start being treated as soldiers. It is a line only I can see and I swear until all of you--once you cross it you have declared War. Against your city, against your government, and against Me. And make no mistake: I Love to fight Wars.

Ares, God of War

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users