Malazan Empire: Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dancer's Lament - Abyss Just Finshed It Formerly the reading thread... SPOILERS for all things Malazan.

#121 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

The explanation Wu gives of Ho strongly suggests that Ho is in three fully autonomous bodies at this point and likely the Lar Lar creature is one of them. Remember Ho's full name (Hothallar).

So at some point, Ho gets his third to shape up and/or splits into even more.

This trapping of Ryllandaras suggests that the D'ivers form is what Wu deals with later.

This book is head and shoulders the best thing ICE has written and stands alongside the better works of SE. Genuinely strong writing throughout, much better flow, no clunky omniscient narrator sections, great beginnings and introductions of characters. ICE upgraded his writing and editing process/helpers and/or he had more time/resources to turn this into a better book. The humor works, the fights are terrific, the conflicts are believable, and he gets us to empathize with just about every meaningful character/group.

Blood and Bone was 3/4s great due to some bad segments in the beginning and end. This is a full start to finish great book.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#122 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

View PostZoolanderis Derake, on 24 March 2016 - 10:13 PM, said:

How would anyone even know about it unless K'rul wanted them to?

By exploring.

How does any mage find out about any warren? If there is a way to get there, there is a way to find that way.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#123 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

So, one thing that everyone is speculating about that I don't understand is the Ryllandaras Soletaken vs. D'ivers thing. Right at the end of the book, I don't remember exactly who, but I assume it's Ho, says that they have caught "THIS" Ryllandaras, but that there are still others out there.

I read this as meaning that the one they have currently caught is the Soletaken version, the D'Ivers is still out there, but the Soletaken will escape at some point and go mad / power up and become the crazed Ryllandaras of RotCG.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#124 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

I think the fact that it was in a floating building, just like a mini skykeep is meant to pretty much confirm it is a Nah'ruk.

No clue what it was doing there though. In the main series do we see the Nah'ruk sky keeps gathering in shadow, or the imperial warren at one point?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#125 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:12 PM

Just to put it out there, the ryl in rotcg was not just a beast. Immediately after he was freed he spouted that scary prophecy as a taunt to those releasing him.

#126 User is offline   Bonecaster 

• High Fist

Posted 15 June 2016 - 01:20 AM

Loved the book. Everything about it was very well done, and a ton of fun. Probably his best, although RotCG might be my favorite. Gotta reread that now to find out.
'All Eres were bonecasters, Trull Sengar. For they were the first to carry the spark of awareness, the first so gifted by the spirits.'

#127 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:07 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 07 June 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

I think the fact that it was in a floating building, just like a mini skykeep is meant to pretty much confirm it is a Nah'ruk.

No clue what it was doing there though. In the main series do we see the Nah'ruk sky keeps gathering in shadow, or the imperial warren at one point?

Spoiler

How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#128 User is offline   Melnibonean Wanderer 

• Recruit

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

View Postkkyyyssss, on 28 February 2016 - 03:01 AM, said:

Finished it today. Have to agree, this is his best by far. Really liked that he went back to a writing style more like in "Night of Knives" instead of continuing to try to copy Erikson's. This is much better than his last 3 books and the story flow is also very good. No long philosophical debates or switching characters every 2 pages. Great start to a new series that looks like it will be AWESOME!

This is one of the best recommendations I could get for DL....NoK is my favorite of ICE's Empire novels.

#129 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

I have just finished this book, started it on Tuesday but after reading some posts by people here I decided to take the plunge. I did not like two of his most recent works but I got to say, Esslemont definitely pulled it out of the bag in this one. What a fantastic book! No complains about anything, I read it so fast and couldn't put it down. Opting to read it over shows I like and games I have been playing. Terrific.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#130 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

We know who Rheena is yes?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#131 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostTattersail_, on 05 January 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

I believe that we figured out that she ends up as a governor.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#132 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostVengeance, on 05 January 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostTattersail_, on 05 January 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

I believe that we figured out that she ends up as a governor.

Fist of Li Heng until the events of RotCG. Or atleast they have the same name.

#133 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:24 AM

Late to the party, but I finished this. Loved it, but then again, I always enjoyed ICE's work and RotCG is one of my favorite malaz books, so all the shout-outs to it were nice.

I must confess, I had the Iko-Shimmer association click as soon as I read "whip-sword". Not completely, but right away I though " this is here deliberately".

As for the book- yeah, it's awesome as a prequel. Wu is recognizably ST in the making. C
Dorin... I can definitely see how he'd eventually make himself "Patron of the Assassins" (with all the extra baggage and responsibility that comes with that designation). Given the title, I kept expecting something really bad to happen. What happened to Ullara was pretty gruesome, but, yeah, I dunno. I definitely felt "Dancer's evolution" . But "Dancer's Lament" ? Not sure.

That's a really minor point though. Overall, like I said, pretty much loved it. I also love how ICE couldn't help but throw in a sassy saboteur in at least one scene.

In terms of future direction, I'm curious to see how Dassem will re-enter the picture in Malaz, since he was supposedly one of the first in the Family.

Name-dropping A'karonys was nice, too. We know that at some point the Emperor will win him over from his loyalty to the Kanese.

In terms of Ryllandras... well, he is "Soletaken and D'ivers both." So I'll guess we're yet to see where his story goes.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#134 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

View PostMentalist, on 23 November 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

Late to the party, but I finished this. Loved it, but then again, I always enjoyed ICE's work and RotCG is one of my favorite malaz books, so all the shout-outs to it were nice.

I must confess, I had the Iko-Shimmer association click as soon as I read "whip-sword". Not completely, but right away I though " this is here deliberately".

I strongly suspected.

As for the book- yeah, it's awesome as a prequel. Wu is recognizably ST in the making. C
Dorin... I can definitely see how he'd eventually make himself "Patron of the Assassins" (with all the extra baggage and responsibility that comes with that designation). Given the title, I kept expecting something really bad to happen. What happened to Ullara was pretty gruesome, but, yeah, I dunno. I definitely felt "Dancer's evolution" . But "Dancer's Lament" ? Not sure.

As a book about how Dancer's path to become one thing leads him in a few directions before loss and disappointment cut off those paths and he ends up partners with Wu, it works.

In terms of Ryllandras... well, he is "Soletaken and D'ivers both." So I'll guess we're yet to see where his story goes.

And that seems to be the case as of DL, so there may not be any more to it until his brief appearance in DG and then RCG.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users