Malazan Empire: LUCIFER - TV series based on the Neil Gaiman character in Sandman - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LUCIFER - TV series based on the Neil Gaiman character in Sandman

#21 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:40 AM

The parts of Lucifer you like are the parts of Lucifer brought over from the comics (talking to Maizikeen, being angry).

The desire stuff is out of left field/possibly a mashup from another character unrelated to Lucifer in the comics. Am entirely unsure why the show runners put that in since they seem to be going away from it more and more.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#22 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

His being able to draw out their deepest desires isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it's just that they keep using it too often as a plot device. It's like it's his first, second and third option. My biggest fear in this regard is that because the showrunners will want new viewers to be able to join in almost at any point (hence the police procedural structure), that they will keep using this prominently in every episode to show some of Lucifer's powers.

Fingers crossed they will gradually move towards a more expansive narrative arc, rather than largely standalone episodes with a tiny bit of progress.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#23 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 24 February 2016 - 04:04 AM, said:

His being able to draw out their deepest desires isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it's just that they keep using it too often as a plot device. It's like it's his first, second and third option. My biggest fear in this regard is that because the showrunners will want new viewers to be able to join in almost at any point (hence the police procedural structure), that they will keep using this prominently in every episode to show some of Lucifer's powers.

Fingers crossed they will gradually move towards a more expansive narrative arc, rather than largely standalone episodes with a tiny bit of progress.

Exactly! He's an immortal angel, who has been in charge of punishing sinners since mankind has existed and he's on vacation because he is bored. Either show me his acute understanding of mankind's baser nature when dealing with issues, or show me he's taking the shortcut because he is bored and wants to move on to something else. Don't just do it because you needed Wesley or Geordi to reroute power from from the engines to fix the deflector array so you could move on with the story.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#24 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

I've watched the first 3 episodes and quite frankly - this is a carbon copy of Castle. I don't know if maybe Castle "stole" the premise of charismatic rich guy / cute detective buddy cop show from the comics (I don't know 'em), but the series Lucifer does look like they completely copied the episode structure from Castle, even the dialogues and characters... only that apart from Luci himself, Castle's cast is so overwhelmingly superior it's not even funny anymore.

So in the end, I'm watching Castle now, this time with ze gf. At our new apartament. Hah. Life is awesome.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#25 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

View PostGothos, on 24 February 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

I've watched the first 3 episodes and quite frankly - this is a carbon copy of Castle. I don't know if maybe Castle "stole" the premise of charismatic rich guy / cute detective buddy cop show from the comics (I don't know 'em), but the series Lucifer does look like they completely copied the episode structure from Castle, even the dialogues and characters... only that apart from Luci himself, Castle's cast is so overwhelmingly superior it's not even funny anymore.

So in the end, I'm watching Castle now, this time with ze gf. At our new apartament. Hah. Life is awesome.

The Castle comparison occurred to me too. Doesn't really bother me, but I do wish we'd get a few insights into Lucy's history, why he fell, how bad Hell really is etc. The writers could even put a comical spin on it, as in references to Milton, Dante, the Bible etc. You might say they wouldn't because 'Murica is so bible-thumpitty, but I respond with the fact that this show is on in the first place, and has surprisingly little resistance aside from some mothers group or something like that.

Maybe that's a sign of the Apocalypse? The Beast is so ... ordinary ... that he is on prime-time and gets middling ratings?

OK technically the Beast is the Anti-Christ but you get my meaning. :p

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#26 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:55 PM

A bit more progression on the story in last nights episode (ep. 6). A few decent reveals, and a big step forward in terms of the long story that will play out. I'm glad that they've decided to give that info out now, as it allows them make Lucifer more proactive.

I really want to see what they do with the next 2 episodes now. Will things accelerate, or will they keep drip-feeding the reveals. If they pick up the pace, then the show could be great, but the danger is in trying to keep things ticking over 'just enough' which will quickly become tedious, and likely lead to cancellation by the end of this season.

Fingers crossed for some risk taking storywise.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

- Anonymous

#27 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:55 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

I'm still enjoying the show though really bummed out past few weeks after amph unspoilered Chloe info sigh. I'm hoping it's changed for show since I ve now had it told what makes her special...

I'm not an expert on religion but I was kinda shocked seeing
Spoiler
idk minor gripe but I just thought it looked off.

I haven't read back over the previous posts to see what Amph said, but I think I can guess what Chloe's origins are going to be.

As for what you spoilered, I don't think that is always the case. I have seen them use all sorts of colour combo's when it comes to representing angels, both good and fallen.
Spoiler

- Anonymous

#28 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:36 AM

Chloe is not a book character. I'm guessing, but the foreshadowing is clear as day.

#29 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2016 - 04:29 AM, said:

Ah that's amazingly good to hear! Curious how you think that then since they haven't said anything about it that I've noticed.

Only mentions/pictures of Chloe's mother. Only Chloe is able to damage Lucifer. Only other angels can damage angels.

So.... put all three together, what do you get?

My bet is Michael is the poppy. Because this show is not about subtlety so far.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 02 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

#30 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

Never read Lucifer the comic - is the take that he's still god's beloved son assigned an unforgiving duty accurate to it?

Only my take on Lucifer is always rise up against God, cast out, etc.
meh. Link was dead :(

#31 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 02 March 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Never read Lucifer the comic - is the take that he's still god's beloved son assigned an unforgiving duty accurate to it?

Only my take on Lucifer is always rise up against God, cast out, etc.

Nah, the impetus for the Lucifer comics come from Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics. In it, Lucifer quits being the King of Hell. He doesn't want to do it anymore. So he closes it all up, gives the key to another angel, and then leaves. In the Mike Carey comics, Lucifer opens up a nightclub in LA with a demon named Maizikeen for company and adventures proceed from there.

In the beginnings, the comics don't mention God much. Lucifer cut ties mostly with the rebellion and then totally cut all ties with God once he quit Hell. He's done doing what others want and singing songs on the piano in the nightclub in LA is what he wants to do after all that time. So he does that and of course, it doesn't last because other powerful entities keep messing with Lucifer, which he does not accept and goes out into the world to stop that from occurring. He doesn't really give a crap about mortals.

So it's a very different Lucifer than the show's version.

#32 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

I got my wife hooked on the show, so we're watching it together now. So, I'm a little behind. I have a question, has Lucifer asked anyone, "Tell me about your deepest desires baby, yeah!"

I think I watched Austin Powers too many times in my youth.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#33 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

Currently mini-bingeing on eps 6, 7 and 8.

There's more of the stuff I wanted, it's getting more interesting. :)

Another great line: "Ooh, speak of the me." :)

EDIT: a few revelations at the end of ep 8. Interesting times ahead hopefully.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#34 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

Yeah, the actual police-procedural-show stuff started boring me right away (talk to initial suspect, get new name, track down new person, get third name...) but it's all the other stuff that's so interesting. Lots of revelations the past couple eps, and this week's was very moving.

(I do have to suspend my disbelief a bit when it comes to the devil dealing with his "newfound" emotions--y'know, as someone who's been around for thousands if not millions of years, much of that time presumably spent dealing directly with humanity. But I can do that easily enough.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#35 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

Agreed. But I think their target audience has too much crossover with the "like it wrapped up in 1 episode" group.

I don't mind where they're taking it. A bit more of the philosophy etc. Just as long as it doesn't get too angsty.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

#36 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

"The Devil does indeed, wear Prada."

:p

Oooooh! Interesting ... revelations ... :doh:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 13 April 2016 - 12:03 PM

#37 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:54 AM

Latest episode was very good. They've managed to either eliminate or drastically reduce most of the issues I had with the show, and enough of the various storylines are progressing along nicely.

It saddens me that there is only one more episode left this season, just as things pick up. But good news is that it has been renewed for a second season already.

- Anonymous

#38 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 20 April 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

Latest episode was very good. They've managed to either eliminate or drastically reduce most of the issues I had with the show, and enough of the various storylines are progressing along nicely.

It saddens me that there is only one more episode left this season, just as things pick up. But good news is that it has been renewed for a second season already.

+1

:)

#39 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

Season finale was surprisingly good. Not really jaw dropping, oh my god i can't believe that happened kind of stuff, but a good solid conclusion to what had gone before. It zigged and zagged enough times to keep it interesting, had some cool action bits, and did the intended job of setting up a decent reason for a 2nd season.

I'm just disappointed that the season was so short, and that there will be such a long wait til next season. This was one of the shows i looked forward to the most these days.

I'll avoid posting any spoilers until people can have reasonably been expected to catch up ;)

- Anonymous

#40 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

I really enjoyed it. This show excels when it is expanding on the bigger picture arc.

Who is... mother?!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users