• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is it about Pat Rothfuss?

#181 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:25 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 March 2023 - 01:36 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 March 2023 - 09:48 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 10 January 2023 - 04:57 PM, said:

However, Rothfuss has weaseled his way out of providing that new chapter for the charity money he raised promising that new chapter. That's really trash behavior and a gigantic red flag that whatever he's doing to deal with this writing process and basically his whole career isn't working.

This is where he lost my sympathy. Nobody can say for certain but it seems a fair interpretation that he promised something that either wholly didn't exist or only partially existed, which is poor to say the least.

Would bet money he made the promise figuring it would 'force' him to actually write the chapter, then didn't/couldn't.

I go further back in my dislike...I will never get over him claiming in interviews that he'd written all three volumes when the first one was just coming out, and that all that would be left was dotting the 'I's" to release them one a year...that was 100% the reason I invested in this new authors debut book in hardcover...and then I even gave him the benefit of the doubt when it took so long for book 2 to come out and I bought THAT in hardcover too as a sign of good faith...that's around when I got wise to the lie...and ever since then it's been a slowly descending shitshow. The funny thing is that EVEN if I didn't like book 2, I would still have read book 3 if it had come out within a few years after 2...but he lost my faith and good will a long ass time ago. Fuck him. At this point he's a streamer who wrote two books a long time ago. A 'former' author if you will?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#182 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 March 2023 - 02:25 PM, said:

....I will never get over him claiming in interviews that he'd written all three volumes when the first one was just coming out, and that all that would be left was dotting the 'I's" to release them one a year......

I did not know about that.
BIG mistake.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#183 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 March 2023 - 05:09 PM, said:

....I will never get over him claiming in interviews that he'd written all three volumes when the first one was just coming out, and that all that would be left was dotting the 'I's" to release them one a year......

BIG mistake.

Wasn't it a forward in his first book? That was the only reason I bought the series too, that he stated it was pretty much finished.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#184 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:32 PM

BIG mistake.

Yeah, the quotes are still widely avail online too.

As to what Amph was talking about, it's even worse....he got like 700k for charity to read the prologue of Book 3 for fans on his twitch stream....but as the live event was happening and the exorbitant 100k monetary goal he set got hit, he back-peddled and moved the goal posts on what he meant and that he didn't say WHEN he would read the prologue If that goal was hit...no one recorded the twitch stream but you can read reddit threads that were happening as it was going on live and the incredulousness was palpable as he basically backed out of doing what he said he'd do....and if I had to assume the reason? He hasn't even written that prologue and assumed the big monetary charity goal would not be hit as it was a lot of money...and had no idea what to do when it hit that goal. And one of his handlers kept coming on and saying that the prologue reading was defo happening...it's been year since that night, and he's not said shit about it. He hasn't apologized. Given money back to people who were scammed into believing he'd deliver.

I think he lost MOST of his remaining defenders when he did that. It's reprehensible.

View Postchamp, on 28 March 2023 - 05:28 PM, said:

BIG mistake.

Wasn't it a forward in his first book? That was the only reason I bought the series too, that he stated it was pretty much finished.

I'd have to look in my copy, but yeah you might be right. It was the biggest deciding factor in me picking it up...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 28 March 2023 - 05:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#185 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:48 PM

I speculate he's got some stuff written including what's likely a second draft of the third book, but for whatever reasons cannot and will not actually let any of the work see light of day.

I think his agent or agents have decided that letting this go on like this make them more money than pushing a "make or break" decision point about professional mental health services and getting this done or packing this one in and letting him work if he wants with zero expectations. I think he's made enough to be set in a frugal way for life.

To be clear, I don't think he owes an audience anything really beyond what he's promised for charity donations. But letting someone suffer for a decade plus like this is really not ethical in my view. That make or break point is much healthier for everyone.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 28 March 2023 - 09:49 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#186 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 March 2023 - 02:20 AM

I don't think any author owes anyone anything they haven't paid for, and buying a book does not equal a binding contract w the author for a sequel.

That said, to flat out lie about the readiness and timing of more books is just poor conduct. Say what one will about GRRM, he's been up front about the unclear timing of more books and corrected when he saw his estimate was wrong. Fans can take that however they like, but they can't (credibly) claim they were lied too. Rothfuss fans, the opposite of that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#187 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 March 2023 - 03:20 AM

I should have known better than to expect this could have been good news.

Man is a lost cause

#188 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 29 March 2023 - 10:04 AM

I disagree slightly, authors don't owe us shit in the main.
But his whole selling point (even to the publishing house AFAIK) is that one was done, and two and three just needed editing and polishing.

So he needs to admit this is bullshit and hold his hands up or is deserving of the ire

#189 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 29 March 2023 - 10:23 AM

View PostMacros, on 29 March 2023 - 10:04 AM, said:

I disagree slightly, authors don't owe us shit in the main.
But his whole selling point (even to the publishing house AFAIK) is that one was done, and two and three just needed editing and polishing.

So he needs to admit this is bullshit and hold his hands up or is deserving of the ire

You don't owe anyone anything UNTIL you make promises.

Fan expectations without promises having been made are one thing. But expectations made in response to promises made are vastly different.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#190 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

Taken from Pat's website...

Interview Link

- What can readers expect from the two sequels and the trilogy that will follow this one?

Well.... I've already written them. So you won't have to wait forever for them to come out. They'll be released on a regular schedule. One per year.

You can also expect the second book to be written with the same degree of care and detail as this first one. You know the sophomore slump? When a writer's second novel is weaker because they're suddenly forced to write under deadline? I don't have to worry about that because my next two novels are already good to go.

Tehol said:

#191 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 29 March 2023 - 12:12 PM

Yeeeeaaaaahhhh…

I remember being so excited when I read that.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#192 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 March 2023 - 12:29 PM

Maybe he did a GRRM and rewrote the shit out of it 500 times and was still unhappy with it?

Apparently. :rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#193 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:02 PM

View Postamphibian, on 28 March 2023 - 09:48 PM, said:

To be clear, I don't think he owes an audience anything really beyond what he's promised for charity donations. But letting someone suffer for a decade plus like this is really not ethical in my view. That make or break point is much healthier for everyone.

View PostAbyss, on 29 March 2023 - 02:20 AM, said:

I don't think any author owes anyone anything they haven't paid for, and buying a book does not equal a binding contract w the author for a sequel.

That said, to flat out lie about the readiness and timing of more books is just poor conduct. Say what one will about GRRM, he's been up front about the unclear timing of more books and corrected when he saw his estimate was wrong. Fans can take that however they like, but they can't (credibly) claim they were lied too. Rothfuss fans, the opposite of that.

Indeed for GRRM. I'm mad the books aren't out yet, but I don't hate the guy and don't think he lied, and he's been very up front about his procrastination and problems....same is true of Melanie Rawn's 3rd EXILES book, it's a very sore spot in her real life she has mental problems returning to, so I get that too...hell even Scott Lynch, whose work has brought me diminishing returns has been up front about his anxiety and whatnot (and as someone who also suffers from BAD anxiety I get it), at least we as readers KNOW.

Rothfuss on the other hand has proven that he not only doesn't care, he's been a reprehensible DICK about it too, and given radio silence to even his publisher/editor...

View PostTsundoku, on 29 March 2023 - 12:29 PM, said:

Maybe he did a GRRM and rewrote the shit out of it 500 times and was still unhappy with it?

Apparently. :rolleyes:

From what I understood years ago, the problem was that changes made to book 2 he thought made book 3 somehow unreleasable (or even saveable....some say he destroyed the whole manuscript for 3), and that the whole series, which was meant to be built around a story told in three days (3 books) could not be and would require a 4th book/day....to that I'd say FFS Kvothe is ALREADY an unreliable narrator, so just make him go "Oh, you thought I'd be done, oh no there will be another day of story!"....like fuck. This aint' hard.

#194 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:09 PM

Was speculation (at very early doors) of 3 trilogies just random fan nonsense or did that come from him too?

#195 User is offline   champ 

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:53 PM

View PostMacros, on 29 March 2023 - 08:09 PM, said:

Was speculation (at very early doors) of 3 trilogies just random fan nonsense or did that come from him too?

In the interview quote above the question is about the two sequels and the next trilogy.

In the same interview there is also:

- Again, according to your website the second and third books are complete. Which of the three was most difficult, or did you approach the trilogy more as one story?

I wrote the whole thing as a single story. The hard part has been reshaping it slightly so that each novel is... well... novel shaped.

Each book needs a good beginning and a good ending. People get pissed off when you don't close things off properly at the end. There's a big difference in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the second one. The end of the first movie was complete, everything was pretty much resolved. Sure there were a few threads left dangling: Jack was at large and there was a devil monkey on the loose, but that's okay. People like knowing that the characters they love might come back for a sequel later.
But the ending of the second Pirates movie was mostly irritating. Cliffhangers are an acquired taste, and not many people find them satisfying these days.

That's what I'm trying to do. Stay true to my overall story, while still making sure the reader walks away satisfied after each book. It's tricky.

So the news about the trilogy already complete was on PR's own site.

Tehol said:

#196 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2023 - 05:51 PM

Honestly, I didn’t think his books were all that great. Not super bummed he’s not churning like Sanderson.

#197 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 30 April 2023 - 06:44 PM

Is that BK or a bot?

#198 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:46 PM

Damn. A bot can make a comment about PR and do a genre related correlation with Sanderson? I fear for mankind…

#199 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2023 - 08:57 PM

View PostRealGatekeeper1, on 30 April 2023 - 08:46 PM, said:

Damn. A bot can make a comment about PR and do a genre related correlation with Sanderson? I fear for mankind…

His books have received critical acclaim and have been translated into many languages. They are known for their lyrical prose, intricate worldbuilding, and complex characters23. Some of his influences include J.R.R. Tolkien, Ursula K. Le Guin, Neil Gaiman, and Terry Pratchett4.

As for what I think of his books, I cannot give you a subjective opinion, as I am a chat mode of Microsoft Bing search. However, in this context, a human might say that they enjoy his books for their immersive storytelling, rich mythology, and emotional resonance. Or they might say that they are frustrated by his books for their slow pace, unresolved mysteries, and long wait for the final installment. Or they might have a mixed or different opinion altogether.

What do you think of his books?

Rothfuss vs Sanderson (same AI):

Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson are both popular and acclaimed fantasy authors, but they have different styles and strengths. Comparing them is not easy, as different readers may have different preferences and opinions. However, based on some of the search results, here are some possible points of comparison:

Writing style: Rothfuss is known for his lyrical prose, intricate worldbuilding, and complex characters12. He uses a lot of metaphors, symbolism, and foreshadowing in his writing. Sanderson is known for his fast-paced plots, logical magic systems, and epic scope3 . He uses a lot of action, humor, and twists in his writing.

Publication speed: Rothfuss has published two books in his Kingkiller Chronicle series since 2007, and the third book, The Doors of Stone, has no release date yet12. He has faced a lot of pressure and criticism from impatient fans and even his editor1. Sanderson has published dozens of books in various series since 2005, and he regularly updates his fans on his progress and plans3 . He has also finished Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series after Jordan's death.

Fan reception: Rothfuss's books have received critical acclaim and have been translated into many languages2. They are praised for their immersive storytelling, rich mythology, and emotional resonance23. However, some fans are frustrated by his slow pace, unresolved mysteries, and long wait for the final installment12. Sanderson's books have also received critical acclaim and have been translated into many languages. They are praised for their inventive magic systems, diverse characters, and satisfying endings3 . However, some fans find his prose too simple, his characters too stereotypical, and his plots too predictable3 .

Ultimately, both authors have their merits and flaws, and it may depend on your personal taste and expectations which one you prefer. You may also enjoy both of them for different reasons. Have you read any of their books? If so, what did you think of them?

[Edit: this forum's autoformatting is like anti-AI... keeps deleting the spaces between paragraphs unless I double-space.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 30 April 2023 - 08:58 PM

#200 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2023 - 10:04 PM

Well dang, that is…informative. I haven’t the least experienced with AI, other than the scary news stories.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users