• You cannot reply to this topic

What is it about Pat Rothfuss?

#161 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 January 2022 - 05:09 PM, said:

... giving breasts personalities.

Are you implying they don't have any? That's so anti-boobist.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#162 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 February 2022 - 01:08 AM

Finished. Man I'm not sure why do many seem to think this is the greatest example of modern fantasy. It was... Good! There was a lot to enjoy about these two books. I didn't hate it by any stretch, but that's it. Sooooo much freaking fluff that was URL it frustrating and unnecessary... Like there could have been so much cut without it ever effecting the plot. Denna is one of my least favourite characters in fiction and I hated every scene she was in, but other then that it was a well crafted world with a fascinating history and mix of cultures. I want to know what happens to Kvothe and will get the final one if it ever comes out.

Still, don't really get the hype.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#163 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

Perhaps it's because they're popular and you are in fact a contrarian?

Naw but it's one of those books where if I'd read it at 15 or pre-Malazan I'd probably have enjoyed it a lot more. Never had a reason to read the concluding volume (Pat lost the key for the door didn't he).

For me the best bit was 100%
Spoiler
, everything else was just kinda ehhhhh.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#164 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 March 2022 - 09:07 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 02 March 2022 - 08:51 AM, said:

That must be it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#165 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 03 March 2022 - 09:46 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 March 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

That must be it!

... shouldn't you be disagreeing? :ermm:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#166 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 March 2022 - 08:38 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 03 March 2022 - 09:46 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 March 2022 - 09:07 AM, said:

That must be it!

... shouldn't you be disagreeing? :ermm:

:kruppepat:

And then warn Gint.

#167 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:21 PM

Another thing the behind the scenes stuff (the religious) background stuff is pretty neat theory wise.

I think there is more information out there then the actual books are long

It’s neat!
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#168 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 26 August 2022 - 02:21 PM

I've come to the painful conclusion that even if Rothfuss were to finish the trilogy, I'm not going to read it.
After ditching book 2 midway through I've not had the inclination to pick it up again.

Jah

#169 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 January 2023 - 09:58 AM

https://www.looper.c...antasy-writers/

Interesting article even though it doesn't really say much beyond what we already know.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#170 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 January 2023 - 02:39 PM

I wondered what had happened with the TV series. Shame to lose Miranda, but understandable for him to jump ship if it isn't going anywhere.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#171 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 January 2023 - 03:16 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 07 January 2023 - 02:39 PM, said:

I wondered what had happened with the TV series. Shame to lose Miranda, but understandable for him to jump ship if it isn't going anywhere.

Speculation from a few sources that the saturation of fantasy tv series, and likelihood bk 3 would never see print and that would be the running negative narrative around any tv series drawing nasty GoT comparisons.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#172 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:52 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 January 2023 - 03:16 PM, said:

Speculation from a few sources that the saturation of fantasy tv series, and likelihood bk 3 would never see print and that would be the running negative narrative around any tv series drawing nasty GoT comparisons.

That sounds reasonably likely. I've never seen anything leave the popular concsciousness as fast as Game of Thrones, so as successful as it was in its prime I can see why they'd want to avoid comparisons.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#173 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:37 AM

Kingkiller could have actually been pretty good, it just needs 100% less Kvothe to get there. Take Kvothe out and it could be a decent TV show too!

#174 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

Counterpoint
Dragon cow

#175 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:49 PM

Also Denna is the absolute worst.

And dragoncow.

And sex goddess/sex ninjas.

Just lots of cringe.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#176 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:07 PM

It’s funny, I’ve seen people describe the series, ESPECIALLY after book 2 as the ultimate teenage boy wish fulfillment fantasy…and honestly, it’s hard to argue.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#177 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:57 PM

The second book wasn't total teenage wish fulfillment. It's better than that - even if it has some really hinky parts.

However, Rothfuss has weaseled his way out of providing that new chapter for the charity money he raised promising that new chapter. That's really trash behavior and a gigantic red flag that whatever he's doing to deal with this writing process and basically his whole career isn't working. The series makes money still, which is shocking and maybe gives him a lifeline to unfuck all this.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#178 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2023 - 12:04 PM

The TV series was greenlit, but Showtime then spent an absolute ton of money on the Halo TV show and had a vast, gaping hole in their budget open up. Cancelling the Kingkiller show - even though it was more expensive after being greenlit - addressed that problem. Later on, selling the Halo show (internally) to Paramount+ resolved the problem fully. However, by that point the film project, which the TV show was supposed to tie in with, had collapsed and Lin-Manuel had moved on.

So the whole thing is currently dead in the water. I suspect Hollywood will circle back around to it once he gets the third book out. The mega-hunger for content that we've seen in the last 5-7 years is drying up quickly as Hollywood switches to money-saving mode, which makes it much less likely Rothfuss will get an adaptation soon.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#179 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:48 AM

View Postamphibian, on 10 January 2023 - 04:57 PM, said:

The second book wasn't total teenage wish fulfillment. It's better than that - even if it has some really hinky parts.

I think this is a fair summary. There are definitely parts that are ridiculous teenage wish fulfillment, but it's not the sum of the whole. Ademre has stayed very clearly in my head because of how much I enjoyed it, and I read WMF when it came out in 2011. When it's good, it's still very good.

However, Rothfuss has weaseled his way out of providing that new chapter for the charity money he raised promising that new chapter. That's really trash behavior and a gigantic red flag that whatever he's doing to deal with this writing process and basically his whole career isn't working.

This is where he lost my sympathy. Nobody can say for certain but it seems a fair interpretation that he promised something that either wholly didn't exist or only partially existed, which is poor to say the least.

View PostWerthead, on 25 March 2023 - 12:04 PM, said:

The TV series was greenlit, but Showtime then spent an absolute ton of money on the Halo TV show and had a vast, gaping hole in their budget open up. Cancelling the Kingkiller show - even though it was more expensive after being greenlit - addressed that problem. Later on, selling the Halo show (internally) to Paramount+ resolved the problem fully. However, by that point the film project, which the TV show was supposed to tie in with, had collapsed and Lin-Manuel had moved on.

So the whole thing is currently dead in the water. I suspect Hollywood will circle back around to it once he gets the third book out. The mega-hunger for content that we've seen in the last 5-7 years is drying up quickly as Hollywood switches to money-saving mode, which makes it much less likely Rothfuss will get an adaptation soon.

Thanks for the explanation - I guess it's firmly in "never say never" territory, but seems unlikely to happen.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#180 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 March 2023 - 01:36 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 March 2023 - 09:48 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 10 January 2023 - 04:57 PM, said:

However, Rothfuss has weaseled his way out of providing that new chapter for the charity money he raised promising that new chapter. That's really trash behavior and a gigantic red flag that whatever he's doing to deal with this writing process and basically his whole career isn't working.

This is where he lost my sympathy. Nobody can say for certain but it seems a fair interpretation that he promised something that either wholly didn't exist or only partially existed, which is poor to say the least.

Would bet money he made the promise figuring it would 'force' him to actually write the chapter, then didn't/couldn't.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users