Malazan Empire: A discussion about movie teasers, movie trailers and why I hate mankind - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A discussion about movie teasers, movie trailers and why I hate mankind

#21 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

The thing I hate these days is the Hype Train. I don't mind getting on board but I think the trip should be short. When they show me a trailer in Dec 2015 for a movie that will be coming out in Dec 2016 my first thought is holy cow what an amazing movie, I am so excited. 3 months later and my excitement dwindles. Chances are it will never peak to the same extent again. It was wasted. Game E3 trailers are perhaps the biggest culprit of this sort of thing for me. I can't maintain excitement and expectation for anything for a year or longer. I just can't.

Also we either than face delays etc and have nothing to keep our appetites wet over the year long period and our excitment dwindles further or we end up with a years worth of additional teasers, trailers, Q&As etc that reveal too much.

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

I don't know what the Terminator: Genesis spoiler is, exactly because I heard before hand that there was a serious spoiler and so I didn't even watch their own advertisement. Then again I watched earlier trailers for the film and thought it looked dreadful.

Strangely I remember the forgettable Terminator 4 with Christian Bale had a HUGE twist in the trailers as well.

Spoiler

I just cannot understand what goes through the head of people that okay these trailers.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostApt, on 23 December 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

I don't know what the Terminator: Genesis spoiler is, exactly because I heard before hand that there was a serious spoiler and so I didn't even watch their own advertisement. Then again I watched earlier trailers for the film and thought it looked dreadful.

Strangely I remember the forgettable Terminator 4 with Christian Bale had a HUGE twist in the trailers as well.

Spoiler

I just cannot understand what goes through the head of people that okay these trailers.

With regards to Terminator 4...that was actually supposed to be the MINOR reveal. The BIG reveal was going to be that Connor was dead, and the human/Termie hybrid character was going to be shown doing the John Connor transmissions instead. But that got scrapped and rewritten last minute to the original ending sadly.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Soulcrusher 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:26 AM

I'd like to chip in that the trailer teaser RIGHT BEFORE(literally a day or two before) the spoilery trailer was released was SO badass, Superman coming down, police bowing and him revealing a tied up Batman, the whole thing was maybe 45 seconds but it was amazing and got me so hyped for the movie. I remember everyone on reddit being like 'oh THIS is how you do a trailer'. Then a day or two later they ruined it.

#25 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

The simpsons
Spider pig
People singing it in the cinema

Fuck you marketing people.

Im with Apt completely (I feel.dirty)
I try go into cinema post trailers because of this. Fuck marketing people, seriously, learn how to make a TEASER not a fucking synopsis

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 December 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Im with Apt completely (I feel.dirty).

As you SHOULD.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:31 AM

An absolutely fantastic trailer was shown before TFA, for Zootopia:

You get the initial premise. You get some simple but effective character info. And you get a really great joke that exemplifies the movie's tone, rather than a mind-shredding montage of all the jokes in the movie. It made me want to see it, and seemed to work on everyone else in the theater, without dragging us face-first 90% of the way through the story.

Really hope Obama gives whoever developed this trailer a medal.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:46 AM

This is the main reason I don't watch trailers besides the first and second teasers. They are enough to inform me about the theme. After that I ignore all promo info including star/director interviews - it helps that I don't watch tv, wait for the movie to release, read a couple of reviews, get a friend, and then go see it. I followed this for TFA and I went into that hall with the movie pristine and unspoilt.

BTW Worry is right, Zootopia has a fantastic trailer which informed me just enough to get me interested. I might watch this film now.

#29 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:59 AM

Gotta love the expression on the fox as the rabbit was losing her shit. :p

You're right - good trailer. Makes you interested without blowing premature exposition all over your face.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

I saw a different trailer about the same movie. Very minimalistic. Just said it had anthropomorphic animals in it and had one funny routine. That had me hooked and this one guaranteed I'll be seeing this next year

This post has been edited by Andorion: 27 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostAndorion, on 27 December 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

BTW Worry is right

If anyone is seeking ideas for a good forehead tattoo this is a good one.

#32 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

View Postworry, on 27 December 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 27 December 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

BTW Worry is right

If anyone is seeking ideas for a good forehead tattoo this is a good one.

It has to be reverse-written though, so the wearer can be constantly reminded.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#33 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Going back to the OP, you have to remember that the movie studios are aiming these trailers at people who don't know THAT much about the characters. They take it foregranted that the comic/graphic novel fan boys are going to go and see the movie regardless so the trailers are designed to suck in everyone else.

The sum total of my Batman and Superman knowledge is from all of the movies ever released with those characters. I only really watched the last Superman because I'd like to do bad things to Henry Cavill. I did not notice the plot points Apt mentions in that trailer when I saw it before Star Wars. My exact thought process when I saw it was "Oh I forgot that film was coming out. Oh yes now I remember the hoo ha about Ben Affleck being Batman. Oooh Henry Cavill is still Superman. Big explosion. Why the fuck can't they put Wonder Woman in some trousers". That trailer is aimed at people like me, not people like Apt.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

But only my needs matter, surely you can understand that, Mezla?

Okay, I see your point but the thing is, there are way to go about this. You can present the stories characters and frame the movies universe without using a compilation of the films most important scenes.

What I was upset about was not that they were revealing the characters themselves, but rather the events the characters find themselves within.

You can tell me that Batman will fight Superman with out showing me the pivotal moments and the best dialogue. You can hint at Doomsdays existence with out showing the very moment he attacks the heroes. You can show us Wonder Woman is in the film with out showing her saving Batman, etc.

Of course, they want to show the best bits to draw people in, but to me it just ruins any interest I have in watching the film.

Personally at this point I'd prefer if they'd just film extra content for trailer purposes alone. Think about something like Prometheus or The Martian. Those films had long short film like clips released in connection with the film that did as much to interest me in the film as a trailer of actual in story content would have.

#35 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

All valid points and would make the pop culture of the modern world more interesting and nuanced. But - money. Studios don't give a fuck about the artistic process. Box office takings are everything so they have to appeal to the masses and we all know the masses are morons (I include myself in this grouping where trailers are concerned as I don't have any brain cells interested in trying to take more than shock and awe from any movie trailer).

Vote with your money. Don't see the film and encourage others not to. I'm on the brink of this with superhero movies and managed it with Terminator Genisys. I know it is pointless because masses are morons.

#36 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

I know dick all about the comic universe either mez but that trailer showed far too much, and I'd be massively surprised if most, if not all, of the killer scenes have been glimpsed or outright ruined by trailer exposure.
Why not just show the scene were supes drops in on a chained up batman.
and leave it.

Hell that would get me to go see the movie.

now?
I wont be going to the cinema for it

#37 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

I don't remember any details of that trailer other than the ones I mentioned above. I saw an X Men Apocalypse trailer as well, I know more about that universe but still the only thing I remember was that Jubilee and Nightcrawler were in it and Xavier was bald at the end. I count myself as someone with a pretty good attention span so most other people will take home even less.

I'm not defending the content of trailers by any means. Maybe you should just try to be a bit more dumb when they are on and think about something else :-) I mostly decide to see films based on the ratings they get from Empire so I think I don't tune in to trailers other than to remind me what is soon to be released and roughly when.

#38 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:21 AM

Just watched the trailer for Sicario. Looks good, but way too many spoilers.

http://www.moviefone...-no-1/518904732

Yes I know it has been out for a while and has just now come to DVD. :D

#39 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

From a recent interview with Zack Snyder about this very topic (BvS and how much was in the recent trailer).

I have the benefit of seeing the movie. It’s cool that they think it’s too much and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there’s plenty that they don’t know. There’s a lot of movie that’s not in the trailer.

Of course I hate it when any spoilers come out! You design the movie as a story that evolves as you watch it, so moment-to-moment [you’re thinking], ‘Oh my god, what’s going to happen next? Are they gonna live? Are they gonna die?’ So you want that experience for the audience, as much as you can. If you’re, as an audience member, exploring these articles, looking for answers to questions that you have, maybe you’re okay with knowing before you go. It’s like an individual taste. But like I said, I want people to see the movie without knowing.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 January 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

There's a lot of movie that's not in the trailer.

Fair enough, but why's he gotta lie to us?

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users