• You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#741 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:28 AM

View PostSilencer, on 02 March 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

Using Harry Potter as an analogy for guns in schools is about as valid as using Lord of the Flies to debate human morality. In others: it's not, because it's fictional and that's not how the world works at all.

This is so much more polite than what I was tempted to say...

#742 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:14 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 02 March 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 02 March 2018 - 04:05 AM, said:

Using Harry Potter as an analogy for guns in schools is about as valid as using Lord of the Flies to debate human morality. In others: it's not, because it's fictional and that's not how the world works at all.

This is so much more polite than what I was tempted to say...

HP was an open carry school. LOL. I guess it’s even true. Remember when the defense against the Dark arts teacher tortured the students....

Also sorry I meant my left trumps right

#743 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:16 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 02 March 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 01 March 2018 - 07:17 PM, said:

The article is such a load of bullshit, it claims that arming teachers is the same as fire detection and suppression systems. Handing a teacher a Glock is the same as installing a sprinkler system.

But....but....surely it is obvious that introducing more guns into any environment will reduce gun violence? Just as introducing more flames into a building will reduce a fire. Just imagine the carnage if you wouldnt have any guns around. It would be a bloodbath.

Let's compare this to say Harry Potter for greater reference points, so maybe it might click on a different level:

Hogwarts was a open/concealed carry school!! Think about it..... they still had the power to kill, but let them have there wands. They all knew the words. They didn't because they had *values* instilled by their society. Values!! (Think about how modern society glorifies killing as entertainment)

So who doesn't obey these laws? Voldemort's allies (evil folks)...why would they as they are trying to snatch rule over others....

You wouldn't just have a bunch of defenseless kids at hogwarts.. Hogwarts actually teaches kids to defend themselves to the potentially big bad world. All the teachers have the ability to defend their kids as they are entrusted with other people's freaking kids. That should be one of the teachers primary goals ... keep kids freaking safe (from Voldemort).

Note: This is a fictional world that has more sense than the modern world! This world is far more dangerous too. Of course teachers should be prepared for evil. Teachers should be willing to defend the people we entrust them too... are people totally mad? Why are we sending kids to places you couldn't entrust them. A teacher should make it there priority to keep kids safe! The actual excuse is what it's too hard? Well guess what the worlds been like this for a long damn time and grow up and adult. Go look at the last century ..

Geez the teachers who don't want to use lethal , can use less than lethal...

Kids should also be prepared to defend themselves and know how to react too...

Note 1.5: ......You have to be prepared for these situations even if rare to mitigate the circumstances. These people go out and become adults and this would foster a community of people that look after each other! This is a good thing .. everyone has each other's back. This would foster more intelligent and situationally aware people that might have a backbone sometime later in life.

Note2: if any of the above was somehow a Harry Potter spoiler ...I really ..really challenge your priorities in life.

Firstly, "knowing the words" does not make a killing curse, intent and willpower matters.

Secondly, the Harry Potter world does not make sense at all - the school is in fact quite dangerous from the Whomping Willow, to the Centaurs in the forest.

Thirdly, the school does not count on the magical skills of the teachers or students to defend it, it has extremely formidable magical passive defences.

Fourthly, any of the hazards that struck the school in the first three books - would have seen any other school closed, maybe permanently.

Fifthly, the principal reason the students have to learn to fight at all is that the lawful authorities dropped the ball, badly and repeatedly.

Sixthly, the Battle of Hogwarts in book 7 showed how horrendously bloody turning a school into a battlefield could be - and that was with extremely skilled teachers, all the magical defences and guardians etc.

Thus the HP cannot, in any way be compared to the real world. HP does not constitute some ideal society, nor should it.

The basic fact, that limiting the availability of deadly weapons in developed societies has greatly decreased if not outright stopped mass shootings cannot be denied. It is a statistical reality. If American society or politicians cannot grasp this, then the fault lies with them.

But the sad thing is that most politicians probably do grasp this, its just that they are in the pockets of the NRA. That video of Rubio being unable to say that he won't take NRA donations is emblematic of the problem.

The gun-supporting public on the other hand - they are symbolic of some of the worst traits of American society - a type of toxic distrust and hostility, a delusional tendency to ignore the real problems and focus on partisan issues - I mean, if shooters are all suffering from mental problems, should not this mean that Congress ought to immediately legislate for a comprehensive health care scheme that made it possible for everyone to get the care they need?

The solution to people being randomly killed is not to turn society into a bunch of armed camps, it is to make society more loving, compassionate and inclusive.

#744 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

When you need Harry Potter to defend your point, your point is indefensible.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#745 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 02 March 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

Id rather follow the starship Trooper model

Would you like to know more?

#746 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:38 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 02 March 2018 - 08:27 AM, said:

I actually think it's a very valid arguement.

Harry Potter lives in a fantastical laalaa land, much like pro gun campaigners

#747 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 02 March 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

Let's compare this to say Harry Potter for greater reference points, so maybe it might click on a different level:

Good point. Hogwarts was a place where due to the students and teachers having access to powers way beyond their means, it led to open fighting between teachers and students with lethal consequences and practically spiraled into a civil war on an international scale. I think it is a perfect analogy. I may use this with friends and colleagues as well, although most of them already seem to think that guns in schools is utter lunacy.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#748 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

SE shared this on his FB page. Thought it fit well with your discussion on the upcoming generation.

https://www.nytimes....destroy-us.html
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#749 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM

Another gem for you all.

Attached File  27867158_1455842541205541_7850000719800321264_n.png (389.02K)
Number of downloads: 1
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#750 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:03 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

Is that Jose the homeless pedaphile?
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#751 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 09 March 2018 - 01:48 AM, said:

Question! How do you kick out a supposedly omnipotent god?

I mean, if I was all-powerful and someone tried to kick me out? Let's just say that that person would be begging for the seven plagues instead.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#752 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

Clearly a Mexican trying to get into the states before the wall goes up

#753 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

Yup, pretty sure Hay-soos is a Mexican name.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#754 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:47 AM

There’s intelligent ways to things.

There’s not so intelligent ways to do things.

Force is not intelligent.

You can never ever steal property from other people under the guise of law.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 March 2018 - 03:48 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#755 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:58 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 10 March 2018 - 03:47 AM, said:

There's intelligent ways to things.

There's not so intelligent ways to do things.

Isn't one of the major problems in the US that the police often confiscates a huge amount of assets of a person they arrest and then they don't return those even if the person is innocent? I am pretty sure this a made a lot of headlines last year.

#756 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:11 AM

View PostAndorion, on 10 March 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

Isn't one of the major problems in the US that the police often confiscates a huge amount of assets of a person they arrest and then they don't return those even if the person is innocent? I am pretty sure this a made a lot of headlines last year.

No this has really no point in what we are talking about at all. This is separate ..thieves exists everywhere? That’s a thief.

I should say that’s not a goverment agenda. It’s clearly a goverment to rob self defence from a populace to make them more compliment. Looks at our Europeans breathen.

Totally f”d!!!!!! (Russia)
(Don’t trust Europeans, they are being lead astray....)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 March 2018 - 04:15 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#757 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:16 AM

This doesn’t mean Europeans are bad humans they just don’t know how to stand up for themselves anymore*

( I’ll preface when America is toast .. Europe will have to stick up for itself.. they don’t know how anymore.. th EU is toast!!!!!)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 March 2018 - 04:28 AM

#758 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:32 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 10 March 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

No this has really no point in what we are talking about at all. This is separate ..thieves exists everywhere? That's a thief.

I should say that's not a goverment agenda. It's clearly a goverment to rob self defence from a populace to make them more compliment. Looks at our Europeans breathen.

Totally f"d!!!!!! (Russia)
(Don't trust Europeans, they are being lead astray....)

View PostNicodimas, on 10 March 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

This doesn't mean Europeans are bad humans they just don't know how to stand up for themselves anymore*

( I'll preface when America is toast .. Europe will have to stick up for itself.. they don't know how anymore.. th EU is toast!!!!!)

Since the police are by definition part of the government, then that's government sanctioned theft. I mean the entire issue could be stopped by the government, but their silence speaks volumes.

How exactly are Europeans being led astray? Most countries in Western Europe have a better standard of living due to things like Universal Healthcare and better social security. Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc have some of the most cared for populations in the world.

As for the Russian threat, the reason it is a problem is because the US managed to elect a Russian puppet and so far the Republican politicians have been too cowardly, greedy and selfish to do anything about it.

#759 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:43 AM

View PostAndorion, on 10 March 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

View PostNicodimas, on 10 March 2018 - 04:11 AM, said:

No this has really no point in what we are talking about at all. This is separate ..thieves exists everywhere? That's a thief.

I should say that's not a goverment agenda. It's clearly a goverment to rob self defence from a populace to make them more compliment. Looks at our Europeans breathen.

Totally f"d!!!!!! (Russia)
(Don't trust Europeans, they are being lead astray....)

View PostNicodimas, on 10 March 2018 - 04:16 AM, said:

This doesn't mean Europeans are bad humans they just don't know how to stand up for themselves anymore*

( I'll preface when America is toast .. Europe will have to stick up for itself.. they don't know how anymore.. th EU is toast!!!!!)

Since the police are by definition part of the government, then that's government sanctioned theft. I mean the entire issue could be stopped by the government, but their silence speaks volumes.

How exactly are Europeans being led astray? Most countries in Western Europe have a better standard of living due to things like Universal Healthcare and better social security. Norway, Sweden, Denmark etc have some of the most cared for populations in the world.

As for the Russian threat, the reason it is a problem is because the US managed to elect a Russian puppet and so far the Republican politicians have been too cowardly, greedy and selfish to do anything about it.

Read this .. it will change your world
https://www.amazon.c...e+battalion+101

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 10 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

#760 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

@ Ando: A singular place of well-being is not important .. as a world we are judged by ..our worst places. A world as a whole is not judged by its best... but by the areas lagging......

The scary thought is that suddenly the world should jump forward to its most advanced areas. However, this actually leaves most of the community ....

Behind.

That’s evil. Plain as day.

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

24 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users