• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#221 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:25 AM

Considering the UK is like less than 1.5 times the rate of knife crime compared to the US, and the US is on the order of 30 times the rate of fatal shootings than the UK, I doubt it would be noticeable even if the rate of stabbings increased. XD

(Unless the population of the US is just fundamentally 30x more inclined to murder... But yeah.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#222 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostSilencer, on 23 February 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

Considering the UK is like less than 1.5 times the rate of knife crime compared to the US, and the US is on the order of 30 times the rate of fatal shootings than the UK, I doubt it would be noticeable even if the rate of stabbings increased. XD

(Unless the population of the US is just fundamentally 30x more inclined to murder... But yeah.)

An intriguing possibility

#223 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 23 February 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

Fewer deaths. This is indisputable.

*Everything people somehow suggest that it is somehow possible for American’s to be stripped of the 2nd Amendment. It is not and never will be possible, so I can fathom why it discussed. It's a waste of every person's energy, but we pander to this delusion for whatever reason. People will die for this freedom *

How? Have you solved any of society's ill's in doing this? Are people somehow less crazy all of sudden. Have you figured out the root cause of murder? All the removal of this would do is disempower the weak. Women at night would have to band together in group's over time, run in fear, or always have a man with them at every point. You aren't addressing any...ANY of the real issue that America faces. We have multiple different cultures...multiple different religions all within very close proximity with each other. You aren't fixing the ghetto's? If you review the top 10 cities with murder what are the real issues with society here...?

Would homicide lower and go higher, it would probably nudge higher overall and violent crime would certainly rise. Guns would be run by Mafia, Cartels, and foreign governments into our country and would empower these elements. It would happen at rate far greater than you believe. Government tried this before and it was called prohibition...what occured here?

Just food for thought, how many people wouldn't give up there guns? How many millions would be imprisoned over time and how many millions of felons did you create? These new felons would probably result in a crime wave as they couldn't get jobs in this new modern society. How many would die?

You never have fixed any of the problems which result in homicide in our country. This conversation just detracts from this and spend's needless energy in an area where it could be doing good toward the actual underlying problems of society. The anti-freedom crowd, blame the gun for the homicides rates and not the problem itself, the person that sits behind the object used.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 24 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#224 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Mass gun shooting's statistics:

http://crimeresearch...h-in-frequency/
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#225 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

So, Nico, which problems are those? Why are they unique to America? (And who said we didn't want to solve them?)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#226 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

By and large, the "weak" choose to move their homes over buying guns. Those who buy the biggest portion of the guns sold in this country are overwhelmingly those with much disposable income and security already - the multiple gun owners.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#227 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

I'd like to point this out as I feel it's pertinent to the discussion.

Yesterday in a town not far from my city, a Grade 9 student brandished 2 knives and stabbed 4 students, and 2 staff before being tackled by a teacher.

All those people are still alive.

If this were the USA instead of Canada, this would/could have been a school shooting and those 6 people would likely be dead. But instead, we live in Canada where we have strict gun control, and as a result it's NOT easy for a 14-year old teen to get her hands on a gun and open fire on her classmates...she ended up with kitchen knives instead, and as a result of that fact...we have wounded people instead of dead people. We also have a disturbed (allegedly bullied) girl who will be getting the obvious mental help she requires so that she can't/won't do this again. And everyone walks away. Traumatized for sure...but walks away alive.

So the idea that gun proponents put forth that "crazy people are always going to find away if they want to cause havoc"...falls on deaf ears when the carnage this girl enacted resulted not in deaths, but wounds that will heal.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#228 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 24 February 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Mass gun shooting's statistics:

http://crimeresearch...h-in-frequency/

Also, I find it odd that the cprc would specifically state that they are excluding cases where either another crime is being committed or disputes over sovereignty - and yet include Paris 2015 and pretty much anything from Serbia, Albania, etc. >.>
And given their 'sources' are news articles, hmm... I am sensing an agenda.

Shinrei said:

#229 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostSilencer, on 24 February 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

(And who said we didn't want to solve them?)

Your right, I obviously think everyone here wants to solve them for sure, just comes to various different solutions. I do see several cities that have stayed the same spot for decades..?? now this make's me always wonder what the overall goal of said leadership that has been there for decades. Though this may be more of a problem of the poor staying poor, which is a really different argument.

#230 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 February 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

So the idea that gun proponents put forth that "crazy people are always going to find away if they want to cause havoc"...falls on deaf ears when the carnage this girl enacted resulted not in deaths, but wounds that will heal.

The thing is, to one extent they're correct; crazy or determined malicious people will always find a way to do harm. The big but that they either miss or (more likely) choose to ignore is that with a gun in hand they can do it from a distance and with greater speed. It's what guns are made for after all.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#231 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

if only she had had a gun to protect herse.......oh wait

#232 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

View PostMacros, on 10 March 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

Yeah, I was going to post that story too, but didn't think I'd be able to contain my snark. In any case. In this case I'm not much interested in talking gun control as much as criminal negligence on her part.

On a somewhat, in this case, related matter, what are the laws regarding seats for small children in cars in the US? Are kids not supposed to be strapped in before driving?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#233 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

It varies state by state but I believe even in Florida a 4 year old would require a child-specific restraint rather than a mere seat belt. In her own words, the gun was on the floor of the backseat area, so his being able to reach it at all is crazy already. It being on the floor of the car, of course, also crazy. So this is several different bad ideas coming together.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#234 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:39 AM

Here you go: http://www.cnn.com/2...t-shot-florida/

#235 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

So the weapon was on the floor of the back seat, cocked and loaded, safety off? Unless the kid had the knowledge to flick the safety off (admittedly with most pistols that isn't difficult), I'd call that an accident waiting to happen. Apparently the kid (a FOUR YEAR OLD?!?!?!) had some familiarity with weapons.

I dare say it normally sat loaded and cocked under her seat within easy reach ... if a carjacker was going to let her rummage around under hear seat for a minute to find the bloody thing.

Can't say either way on the safety.

Conclusion: a depressingly high percentage of (most?) USAnians are batshit fucking crazy. :thumbsup:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#236 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

I'm not making fun of the guy asking the question when I say he asks the most generic, boilerplate gun lobby question (well, questions plural) about guns, and Pres. Obama pretty clearly lays out the difference between the talking points and the reality of gun control. So in that sense I'm glad the question was so all-encompassing and prototypical.

#237 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:52 PM

Haven't heard many details but another mass shooting someheere in the states? Shooter possibly of afghan extraction. Odd of trump trying to use this in his anti muslim rhetoric?

#238 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostMacros, on 12 June 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

Haven't heard many details but another mass shooting someheere in the states? Shooter possibly of afghan extraction. Odd of trump trying to use this in his anti muslim rhetoric?

Orlando, Florida, 50 dead so far with 53 wounded.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#239 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

The reports are that he was a radicalized Muslim who according to his Father was angry after seeing two men kissing in Miami a few weeks ago. It's very early so who knows the real story right now.

#240 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

Yeah doing a bit of reading on it on bbc. In with and assault rifle and a hand gun.

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users