• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#1441 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 02 August 2023 - 08:49 PM

American is dropping to a historic low of 2 million guns a month sales.

This means at the current couple of years we surpassed the overall guns Europe has. It took 3 years!

On the flip side this adjusts to roughy 12.5 more years until we have 1 billion guns under civilian ownership, so gonna take long time getting there

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 02 August 2023 - 08:49 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1442 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 02 August 2023 - 09:03 PM

worry, on 11 July 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

That's good, but I think it's more like...
2A Warrior: We need guns to prevent federal government overreach.
Normal Guy: Okay, uh, good luck with that. I'm sure you'll win against the US military.

2A Warrior: Heh I've heard that one before, but it's really the deep state -- a phrase I heard roughly 60 months ago -- that I have a lifelong beef with. By the way, my aversion to the federal government -- in particular the FBI -- has nothing at all to do with my affiliation with extremely conservative patriarchal forms of Christianity, or my constant cheerleading for the sleaziest grifter on earth's plan to rip immigrant children from their parents and funnel them into a labyrinthine fundie-run foster care system, or the fact that I can't shut up about children's genitals and reflexively accuse all my enemies of being child predators, and I inject this fixation into every 'culture war' conversation I ever have but also it's bleeding into every interaction I have just in general, and by the way please don't bring up that the very obvious conservative MO is projection. You shouldn't consider any of that, separately or together, in analyzing my pathological need to build an arsenal to protect myself, I mean everybody's Constitutional rights, from big government.

Normal Guy: *Halfway down the street already and still accelerating*

@ worry: 2A fanboy: more like I need my guns to protect myself they want to kill me , my family , my way of being. Have you heard they want to steal my personal property I paid for, keeps me safe. See how downtowns are just falling apart ? Seen how society just keeps getting worse. Have you seen any good improvements..

Random other owner: oh yeah I’ve armed up , planted a garden and skills. Have you seen they have destroyed 20% of energy generation permanently with multiple years of growth incoming? , have you seen how low interested rates destroyed housing again, did you see how the government helps level so many fees to make housing double in price and if you don’t build expensive houses for more tax income not gonna permit that. Have you seen the multi year interest rates that drown us.. what good have they done

Random gunboy: yeah I too am ready for the rolling blackouts that could potentially come with these current policies did you see they took out all the backup power generation , just bulldozed it. And of course an agricultural collapse could just occur due to the way food is overharvestd from corporate interests, that were paid for by government subsidies to bankrupt local farmers these last couple of decades. Ya they just pay to let food rot ..

Gun fanboy: I’m ready to protect mine for when they come for food. See Argentina collapse ? They said there’s quite a bit of people buried in the ground since they couldn’t defend themselves.… people have guns to be prepared for when the government keeps messing up and kicking the can of irresponsible decisions .. well one too many kicks boooooom society.

Concerned warrior gun fanboy: Most of society is sleepwalking.. but the long collapse is in motion.The biggest conspiracy tinfoil hat : is it’s all going to be alright alright alright /smokes weed /alcohol etc etc

( I think this is a good venue to really talk about gun culture .. most gun owners want to protect there family.. from the what may seem impossible right around the corner.. that happens very often in history)

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 02 August 2023 - 09:11 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1443 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 August 2023 - 10:20 PM

Nicodimas, on 02 August 2023 - 09:03 PM, said:

worry, on 11 July 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

That's good, but I think it's more like...
2A Warrior: We need guns to prevent federal government overreach.
Normal Guy: Okay, uh, good luck with that. I'm sure you'll win against the US military.

2A Warrior: Heh I've heard that one before, but it's really the deep state -- a phrase I heard roughly 60 months ago -- that I have a lifelong beef with. By the way, my aversion to the federal government -- in particular the FBI -- has nothing at all to do with my affiliation with extremely conservative patriarchal forms of Christianity, or my constant cheerleading for the sleaziest grifter on earth's plan to rip immigrant children from their parents and funnel them into a labyrinthine fundie-run foster care system, or the fact that I can't shut up about children's genitals and reflexively accuse all my enemies of being child predators, and I inject this fixation into every 'culture war' conversation I ever have but also it's bleeding into every interaction I have just in general, and by the way please don't bring up that the very obvious conservative MO is projection. You shouldn't consider any of that, separately or together, in analyzing my pathological need to build an arsenal to protect myself, I mean everybody's Constitutional rights, from big government.

Normal Guy: *Halfway down the street already and still accelerating*

@ worry: 2A fanboy: more like I need my guns to protect myself they want to kill me , my family , my way of being. Have you heard they want to steal my personal property I paid for, keeps me safe. See how downtowns are just falling apart ? Seen how society just keeps getting worse. Have you seen any good improvements..

Random other owner: oh yeah I've armed up , planted a garden and skills. Have you seen they have destroyed 20% of energy generation permanently with multiple years of growth incoming? , have you seen how low interested rates destroyed housing again, did you see how the government helps level so many fees to make housing double in price and if you don't build expensive houses for more tax income not gonna permit that. Have you seen the multi year interest rates that drown us.. what good have they done

Random gunboy: yeah I too am ready for the rolling blackouts that could potentially come with these current policies did you see they took out all the backup power generation , just bulldozed it. And of course an agricultural collapse could just occur due to the way food is overharvestd from corporate interests, that were paid for by government subsidies to bankrupt local farmers these last couple of decades. Ya they just pay to let food rot ..

Gun fanboy: I'm ready to protect mine for when they come for food. See Argentina collapse ? They said there's quite a bit of people buried in the ground since they couldn't defend themselves.… people have guns to be prepared for when the government keeps messing up and kicking the can of irresponsible decisions .. well one too many kicks boooooom society.

Concerned warrior gun fanboy: Most of society is sleepwalking.. but the long collapse is in motion.The biggest conspiracy tinfoil hat : is it's all going to be alright alright alright /smokes weed /alcohol etc etc

( I think this is a good venue to really talk about gun culture .. most gun owners want to protect there family.. from the what may seem impossible right around the corner.. that happens very often in history)

Shooting a deadly heat wave or a flood always helps... entropy along.

And if you're starving you can use your gun to eat your neighbors! And burn their shit in lieu of oil....

#LetTheGreatHuntBegin

Nicodimas IDK if you're enough of a True Libertarian to read Reason but they had an article today that gave me some small hope:

Some ideas are so terrible that combining them into a cocktail of awfulness makes rotten sense. So it is with gun control and qualified immunity: Why not mix impunity for violating basic rights with denial of a specific right so as to maximize the harm? At least, that's the inspiration that struck two law professors who propose qualified immunity for enforcing even overtly unconstitutional gun control measures. While the duo sees the idea as much as a means of weakening officials' protections from liability as for promoting restrictions on private arms, it's a dangerous innovation that could entrench authoritarianism [just in time for AI + science to take over?---and save many lives anyway].

Law Profs Tout Qualified Immunity for Unconstitutional Gun Restrictions (reason.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 02 August 2023 - 10:20 PM

#1444 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 October 2023 - 07:36 AM

Another mass shooting in Maine. This time the shooter has been identified as a firearms instructor who was trained by the US military. So would this be one of those supposed "good guys with a gun"?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1445 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 October 2023 - 07:43 AM

Gorefest, on 26 October 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

Another mass shooting in Maine. This time the shooter has been identified as a firearms instructor who was trained by the US military. So would this be one of those supposed "good guys with a gun"?

But Gore! If guhgooguwuhs aren't guhgoo, the entire system falls to pieces!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1446 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 October 2023 - 07:46 AM

Must be another day ending in "-y". :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1447 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 October 2023 - 08:48 AM

Gorefest, on 26 October 2023 - 07:36 AM, said:

One of those "Responsible Gun Owners"?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#1448 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:38 AM

Here's our little secret: A good guy with a gun is anyone who buys a gun. A responsible gun owner is anyone who comes back for more. A bad guy with a gun is anyone who gets shot, whether they had a gun or not.

Think of these more as economic slogans than ethical ones.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1449 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 October 2023 - 11:56 AM

... shot up two locations (bowling alley and bar), and he's still on the run.

Maine Gunman Opened Fire During Children’s Bowling League

[...] law enforcement said Card “recently reported mental health issues to include hearing voices and threats to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, ME.” It also claimed that Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks this summer before being released. NBC noted it had not independently verified the claims in the bulletin.

Shelter in place orders have been issued for residents in Lewiston, Lisbon, and Bowdoin as the manhunt continues. Several municipal offices and schools in Maine are also closed

Maine Mass Shooting: Gunman Opened Fire During Children’s Bowling League (thedailybeast.com)

#1450 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 11 November 2023 - 07:48 PM

Why am I not suprised?

https://www.news.com...c0dbb31c0ee6ac5

US airconditioning company giving away free AR-15s with every purchase
An American tradie said by “stirring the pot” his company has generated more than $100,000 in less than a week.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1451 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:24 PM

Gift link from thread (in case you meet a paywall)

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1452 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 November 2023 - 05:34 PM

Every time. This stuff needs published every time it happens.

You want to honor the dead? Keep it from happening again
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#1453 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:13 PM

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if the motive for the shooting in KC was Taylor Swift, because that’s how fucked up the US is.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users