• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Guns, control and culture.

#1401 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:02 PM

Gun crisis in Killadelphia has gotten so bad the city has effectively elected (Democratic primary but the Democrat always wins) a new mayor whose primary campaign issue is being tough on crime, promising to add more police and bring back stop and frisk (she's Black, and previously gave a speech about how the overall effectiveness of stop and frisk isn't supported by the empirical evidence).

Great way to spread norovirus, possibly covid too if they breath in your face.

There Is No Real Evidence that Stop-and-Frisk Helps Reduce Crime

[...] At the same time, there is substantial empirical evidence that police stops impose high psychological and physical costs on those who are stopped. These costs would fall largely on minority communities, the targets of most stops and frisks and ironically, the very communities most vulnerable to gun crime.

[...] Is a police force that relates to its public largely through the violence of stop-and-frisk one that inspires witnesses to come forward, so homicides are readily solved? In cities like Chicago, where the clearance rate for homicides is already perilously low, policing tactics that corrode trust in police likely make gun violence more difficult to solve.

[...] a return to stop-and-frisk is more likely to undermine than to improve our public safety. It increases the odds that someone can get away with murder because there are no cooperating witnesses. However much we concur with concerns about gun violence, we should reject solutions that fall most heavily on Black and Hispanic communities and that have no track record of efficacy.

There Is No Real Evidence that Stop-and-Frisk Helps Reduce Crime (governing.com)

NYPD's deployment of extra police to high crime neighborhoods contributed far more to the crime reduction than the use of stop, question, and frisk. Research [...] extra police deployed to high crime areas in New York was a major factor in the crime decline: a 12% to 15% reduction. The additional use of stop, question, and frisk made almost no difference. The stops only had a detectable impact on crime when the stops were based on probable cause, and these kinds of stops were very rare. Other research by Weisburd and colleagues also showed that stop, question, and frisk practices had only small associations with crime reduction (on the order 2%).

Does Stop-And-Frisk Reduce Crime? | Department of Criminology (upenn.edu)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 May 2023 - 05:02 PM

#1402 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:00 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1403 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2023 - 03:18 PM

ANYTHING but dealing with the guns.

I feel like a broken record saying how fucked up your country is and continues to be.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1404 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:23 AM

Gotta stand up to people like ...

Millions of Americans have recently. Stand up against the anti freedom crowd.

Americans stand against tyranny and the freedom oppressors.

To show this just how much we care about our freedoms the brace stabilizing ban went into effect against 40-50 million Americans.

About 255,162 guns were actually registered for free too. They were given free registrations, quick turnarounds super easy process. My bud got seven days turnaround for a gun he wanted to sbr for free.

However with this brace law in effect over 40 million Americans are now defacto FELONs. ( It’s underreported too)

This should be a clear sign to any of the anti-freedom crowd how we as Americans will stand against the injustices this particular crowd tries to lob at them.

It’s a pretty big deal the violators could be given a prison sentence and loss of guns rights permeantly. How long .. 10 years. 40 million Americans stood up. Should be a good test run .02 percent compliance.

(Look how the world, the righteous peddles all sorts of arms to resist Russia. The hyprocrisy knows no bounds…)

Good luck

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 16 June 2023 - 05:45 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1405 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 June 2023 - 06:43 AM

40 MILLION PATRIOTS have already received their 23K GOLD plated Stabilizing Brace COMMEMORATIVE COIN!!
Do NOT miss out on this LIMITED TIME OFFER to own perhaps the most important USA COIN ever minted!
ACT NOW to show your Colors Don't Run. Only three easy payments of $99.99 $79.99 to show you LOVE FREEDOM -- which can only go UP in VALUE!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1406 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:32 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 16 June 2023 - 05:23 AM, said:

This should be a clear sign to any of the anti-freedom crowd how we as Americans will stand against the injustices this particular crowd tries to lob at them.

Posted Image

I do often feel sorry for American satirists. They have been overtaken by US reality. Don't stick the gun too deep, Nico, I'm pretty sure that wasn't the original intent for it.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1407 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 09:57 AM

What? I have no clue what Nico said.

As for giving weapons to Ukraine, that is giving weapons to a government to resist an invasion not letting every random Joe have a gun and live out his John Wayne fantasy to the detriment of those around him.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1408 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 July 2023 - 12:10 PM

Amid celebrations and fireworks over the long Fourth of July holiday weekend, cities across America were left reeling from the scourge of gun violence as mass shootings occurred at block parties and other festive gatherings.

[...] 22 mass shootings

'Insanity': 4th of July mass shootings leave 20 dead, 126 injured - ABC News (go.com)

To be fair, mass shootings are very patriotic. (Given how fucked up the United States is... 'I'm just like the United States! Blam blam!')

As an added benefit, gunshots sound a lot like fireworks. Fireworks at random times, gunshots at random times.... Maybe some people hear fireworks going off and think: hey that reminds me...

Somehow I'd hoped that things like summer block parties and free holiday festivals might be spared; but no, of course not. Going to be vigilant about at least bringing a large rifle-proof plate in my backpack if I ever go to one of those again.

Philadelphia mass shooter was just a mile away from a park I frequent when it has large events. I was going to go to their summer arts and music festival this coming Saturday. Instead he chose to stroll around shooting random people near his home:

Residents were shocked to learn their neighbor is accused of this violence.

"He speaks to everybody. He helps out with everybody," one neighbor said. "If you parked on the curb and the cop comes, he'll knock on your door and tell you like they're about to give you a ticket or whatever [and then shoot you]."

Philadelphia mass shooting: Suspect Kimbrady Carriker charged with 5 counts of murder for Kingsessing rampage - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)

[His Facebook] profile picture showed Keanu Reeves in "The Matrix." Its top post, from the day before the mass shooting, was a YouTube video that shows a gun. [He] recently shared an article that was captioned, "How do you know if an evil spirit is following you?"

Kimbrady Carriker: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

"I told you he wanted your rights. GOD SAVE THE QUEEN SAYS BIDEN," [he] wrote on Facebook, [...] alongside a video of Biden titled "Biden turns red coat, in latest gun grabbing speech."

After first commending officers for arresting him, [he said] his gunfire was meant to help police address the city's gun violence crisis because "all these guys are out there killing people," [...]

Once pulled in for questioning, [he] told detectives that Yahweh, a Hebrew name for God, would send more people to help [perhaps by 'help' he meant 'shoot more people'? ...]

[he] had a previous gun conviction and had a "ghost gun," or an untraceable and self-assembled firearm, the night of the shooting.

Philadelphia Mass Shooting: Suspect Kimbrady Carriker Gave Baffling Motive (thedailybeast.com)

"Mass shooters study other mass shooters, so there is an element of having to have your mass shooting conform with the expectation of what a mass shooting looks like," [...]

As with any mass shooter, body armor is not so much protection as part of a spectacle. They know this is a final act that will end with them either dead or in jail for life.

[...] "Going out with a bang," Densely, the sociologist, notes. "Quite literally."

Philadelphia Shooting Suspect Kimbrady Carricker’s Bra Selfie Is Not the Problem (yahoo.com)

IDK, some may actually prefer to keep on living. He didn't try to shoot at the police.

But what a host of blindly partisan right-wing loonies focused on was a trio of selfies showing [him] wearing a bra and women's clothing four months ago.

"Another trans shooter," [...] Marjorie Taylor Greene [...] declared [...]

[...] [he] was not trans.

[...] [his] Facebook posts [...] of garments stenciled with various messages such as "I LUBRICATE MY AR-15 WITH LIBERAL TEARS" and "THE FIRST AMENDMENT DEFINES US - THE SECOND AMENDMENT DEFENDS US."

There was also "THE TRUMP .45" along with an image of a semi-automatic pistol of that caliber. And a Trump 2024 post with an American flag and the slogan "God, Guns & Trump."

[...]

While ignoring all that, the right-wing folks [...] declared him to be a "trans BLM activist."

Philadelphia Shooting Suspect Kimbrady Carricker's Bra Selfie Is Not the Problem (yahoo.com)

He started wearing body armor and guns around the house. God, he believed, was telling him to purge his community of violence with violence.

Police records [...] depict Carriker as a "biblical extremist" who had become increasingly agitated in the days before he walked out his Southwest Philadelphia rowhouse with an AR-15-style rifle and opened fire upon his neighbors and passersby at random.

[...]

"I have a twitter because of [Tucker] Carlson," reads a post on one of [his] Twitter accounts. "I thought I could avoid this platform. But for Tuck; I got you."

[...] In his final social media posts, Carriker described going on "patrols" through his neighborhood. He cast blame on elders in the neighborhood he believed were encouraging young people to commit crime[...]

"They are without a doubt promoting and participating in robbing, prostitution, scamming, and murder," [...] "When one of their monsters is killed they cry foul. Boohoo."

[...] Unlike his victims, [he] emerged unscathed, and was taken into custody by police.

Records, posts by Philly mass shooting suspect reveal an obsession with crime, guns, and vigilantism (inquirer.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 July 2023 - 12:11 PM

#1409 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 July 2023 - 06:15 PM

View PostGarak, on 16 June 2023 - 09:57 AM, said:

What? I have no clue what Nico said.

As for giving weapons to Ukraine, that is giving weapons to a government to resist an invasion not letting every random Joe have a gun and live out his John Wayne fantasy to the detriment of those around him.

Is this really about saving Ukraine ?

The left can never stand up anymore and say it’s for everyone’s safety. As they send more and more weapons getting civilians of another country killed again. They simply only care about their own *safety* is what is comes down too, not others. In doing this again the counterparty will keep their guns even closer. They know what these people stand for….

http://theeconomicco...-world-war-iii/

Yes they have been this way for decades too.. the peaceful side:

https://mondoweiss.n...-murderous-too/

The anti-freedom crowd is this way for a reason. It’s about control. They thrive on it and know a certain element will always be away until they get rid of guns.

This is how many many people in pro-gun camp think. Wrap your head around that when you’re going for guns. Giving them up in any sort of way results in giving away the control and ability to resist this parties ultimate aims ..

Remember they lied about Iraq and the wars, guess what they are lying again.

https://sports.yahoo...-160001611.html

The war against Eurasian must be permanent for the party!
https://www.abhafoun...ml/1984/24.html
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#1410 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 July 2023 - 07:06 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 09 July 2023 - 06:15 PM, said:

The anti-freedom crowd is this way for a reason. It's about control. They thrive on it and know a certain element will always be away until they get rid of guns.

This is how many many people in pro-gun camp think. Wrap your head around that when you're going for guns. Giving them up in any sort of way results in giving away the control and ability to resist this parties ultimate aims ..

They can keep all their guns, we'll just send bulletproof killer robots with tentacles to force them to be gay. (And to not murder anyone. Unless it's consensual....)

Win-win situation....

What they should really be doing is digging underground networks of fortified bunkers booby-trapped against the inevitable robot hordes. The deeper underground the better. And stay there. (Conveniently not shooting anyone on the outside....)

#1411 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:49 AM

Amid growing concerns about gun violence and mass shootings in schools, several companies are starting to offer [...] robots to schools across the country.

[...] Using artificial intelligence, the robot in Santa Fe learns the school's normal patterns of activity and detects individuals who are on campus after hours or are displaying aggressive behavior [...]

The school chose to disable the robot's weapons detection features during the pilot, although the security team is determining whether it might be added at a later time [...]

Trump said[:] "We need to make sure that we master kindergarten before we're looking for Ph.D. solutions to school safety." [Kenneth Trump, that is.]

Your School's Next Security Guard May Be an AI-Enabled Robot - The Wall Street Journal

[...] 400-pound[...] robot currently roaming Santa Fe High School can provide 360-degree video footage. [...]

[...] can confront intruders, although it is not armed[...] can allow a remote security team to speak to an intruder [and at least distract them with sound...].

[...] "[...] we're limited on human resources to be out and they also need breaks and lunches and so forth, so the robots are going to help us supplement the downtime for our regular staff," [...]

[...] plans to deploy four robots [...]

[...] can also take more proactive actions, such as pointing a laser beam or flashing a light to distract [or blind... making progress towards 'incinerate?'...] the intruder [...]

"When an intruder is detected, the security personal takes control of the robots, takes them out of the classroom, and confronts the intruder," [then explodes with sleeping gas?]

[...] video demo [...] shows how a quadruped robot can [...] bump into the suspect [and crush him under its hooves?]

Schools Deploy Robots to Surveil Campus, Confront Intruders (businessinsider.com)

So give it some arms (technically, that's what an octopus's 'tentacles' are called...)! At least some ideally 'nonlethal' weapons like tasers (or better). (Suction cups on the arms could administer shocks or injections (of nanobots?)....)

#CthulhuSingularityToTheRescue!

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2023 - 11:51 AM

#1412 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 July 2023 - 11:59 AM

This can't possibl-eye go wrong.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  ed209.jpg (16.83K)
    Number of downloads: 0

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1413 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 12:35 PM

So I got the FULL American treatment on my recent vacation to the States. The day after we arrived in Maryland, this mass shooting occurred south of where we were staying.

So that was fucked up. Worse was how messed up it was to see and hear people shooting off their guns into the air on July 4th a couple of days later...Americans are fucked up man.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 July 2023 - 12:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1414 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2023 - 02:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2023 - 12:35 PM, said:

So I got the FULL American treatment on my recent vacation to the States. The day after we arrived in Maryland, this mass shooting occurred south of where we were staying.

So that was fucked up. Worse was how messed up it was to see and hear people shooting off their guns into the air on July 4th a couple of days later...Americans are fucked up man.

Hotels and airports should start selling bulletproof clothing and accessories for tourists... if they aren't already.

They could have huge screens displaying videos of simulated shootings in which the clothing/accessories stop the bullets.

(Hopefully that won't encourage them to encourage mass shootings nearby... or shootings in general.)

Maybe even some weapons for people to carry for self-defense, since that's something you're not allowed to do in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc. (Specifically what you're allowed to carry as a weapon varies by local jurisdiction, but plenty of areas let you carry just about anything, and some potential weapons---like baseball bats or unweighted staffs---are legal everywhere afaik.) Tasers can have a range of 25 feet. Pikes should also be legal in many places, though you may have to aim them carefully to get past a mass shooter's body armor---stab in them in the face or (in the unlikely event that's armored as well) through the eye-holes. A spear-gun might be a more effective choice---they have a range of 7 meters. Though I imagine many people might enjoy the novelty of carrying a very long sword---it's better than nothing....

You can also legally buy a gun as a tourist, provided you first buy a fishing license online and rent a room for proof of residence; but you're only legally allowed to carry it on the way 'the hunting range'.

How to buy a gun in the USA as a tourist - Globalization Guide (globalisationguide.org)

View PostTsundoku, on 10 July 2023 - 11:59 AM, said:

This can't possibl-eye go wrong.

Before long one of these robots is going to witness a mass shooting and be unable to stop it because it isn't armed.

The 360 degree cameras will provide excruciating footage of the shooter gunning down children while all the robot can do is try to bump into him.

Then there will be a massive public outcry: Arm the robots! Arm the robots!...

With nonlethal weapons or the ability to restrain suspects (with tentacles or otherwise) at least.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2023 - 02:12 PM

#1415 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:11 PM

Yeah if I'm going to a hotel and they're like "hey you can buy bulletproof clothing so you can safely enjoy your stay!" I'm not going to that hotel. That's a dumb idea and not addressing the problem at all.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1416 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:27 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 July 2023 - 05:11 PM, said:

Yeah if I'm going to a hotel and they're like "hey you can buy bulletproof clothing so you can safely enjoy your stay!" I'm not going to that hotel. That's a dumb idea and not addressing the problem at all.

Exactly. As usual, Americans want to do everything that's NOT stricter gun control to help with their gun/killing/murder problem.

Honestly, in my post I literally stated that at the 4th of July gathering I was literally AT there were people shooting guns into the sky....like I don't think Americans get how incredibly weird that is to almost everyone else in the world...

Gun culture is so deep in the American psyche it's scary.

#1417 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:43 PM

I do think it's hilarious.

But if you wear bulletproof clothing or accessories, and you get shot in them (and they actually stop the bullets from puncturing you), well that will be addressing the problem pretty well. If everyone were well-armored it would be much harder to seriously injure a large number of people quickly. Of course there are drawbacks, especially with armor that's actually effective against rifles... though accessories like a rifle-proof plate in a backpack (what I usually carry) or briefcase etc. are also helpful. Or a large bulletproof shield (if that doesn't turn you into a bullseye / prime target for a shooter... if not a mass shooter, then perhaps if they just want to steal your shield).

It's true that it might scare some people away; but if in a location they'll want to (or have to) go to anyway that shouldn't be an issue (for example, people going to Philadelphia for a conference---lots of conferences are held here, mainly because it's cheap). Likewise if people are already well aware of the local gun violence. Might be better in airports, on the border, etc. It would make money.

Same goes for weapons at the airport or the border or some hotels:

Welcome to the United States, now select your weapons

Armor optional if you don't mind bullets penetrating you

And for QT, upon entering rural Pennsylvania, a disembodied voice could boom out at the official borders:

You are now entering Trump country, put on the hat or prepare to face the ire of the horde

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 10 July 2023 - 05:46 PM

#1418 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:50 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 10 July 2023 - 05:43 PM, said:

I do think it's hilarious.

But if you wear bulletproof clothing or accessories, and you get shot in them (and they actually stop the bullets from puncturing you), well that will be addressing the problem pretty well.

I don't think you understand "addressing the problem". The problem is not "bullet goes through normal clothing", the problem is guns are killing machines no one needs in their daily lives.

The term you are looking for to describe your suggestion is "band-aid".

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 10 July 2023 - 05:43 PM, said:

If everyone were well-armored it would be much harder to seriously injure a large number of people quickly. Of course there are drawbacks, especially with armor that's actually effective against rifles... though accessories like a rifle-proof plate in a backpack (what I usually carry) or briefcase etc. are also helpful. Or a large bulletproof shield (if that doesn't turn you into a bullseye / prime target for a shooter... if not a mass shooter, then perhaps if they just want to steal your sheild).

This is such a bad idea that you IMMEDIATELY had to start nitpicking and qualifying your own suggestion due to levels of protection...like....bruh....

Like I said, it's in your psyche so deep that you can't fathom that the rest of the world *gestures broadly at most/all other Western countries* doesn't deal with this stuff because they ACTUALLY addressed the problem.

#1419 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 July 2023 - 05:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 July 2023 - 05:50 PM, said:

Like I said, it's in your psyche so deep that you can't fathom that the rest of the world *gestures broadly at most/all other Western countries* doesn't deal with this stuff because they ACTUALLY addressed the problem.

Nah, I favor banning or very strictly regulating guns (among other things). It's just not going to happen in this country without a constitutional amendment, the deaths of at least two Supreme Court justices (not likely anytime soon---and I doubt even the liberal justices we have currently would be willing to completely abandon precedent and go for an outright ban outside of governmentally authorized militia use), or packing the Supreme Court (or the jettisoning of the constitution...). Then there's the issue of actually getting the guns---legal and illegal---away from people. Some of whom seem to really believe they'll fight to the death to keep their guns.

#1420 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 July 2023 - 06:03 AM

I assumed all of Azaths posts above were tongue in cheek leaning into absurdism as hard as possible.

Dark comedy, but comedy none the less

Share this topic:

• 73 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users