Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 6 - Malazan Empire

• 61 Pages +
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 6 BOOK SPOILERS through early TWOW chapters Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:42 AM

Last year I started the season 5 thread right after season 4 was done, since that's usually when they begin casting announcements. This year I was inspired to start the season 6 thread because we finally have something close to proof (after several less-decisive clues) that Jon Snow will be back in season 6, as he was caught on set in costume:

http://www.dailymail...social-facebook

Not that book-readers are surprised. Huffington Post noted that he's not wearing black, which is interesting, though they went a little far when they implied that his clothes suggest he is the new King of the North. It's not implausible, but it's a wobbly theory.

Casting highlights:

This audition video is very revealing. Apparently Dany will be taken to Vaes Dothrak. That in itself is very unsurprising, though there were other options for what the Dothraki might have done with her. It's interesting because the new character in question is a relatively young dosh khaleen, and there are hints that Dany will do her revolutionary magic from within Vaes Dothrak.

Another audition video (since removed, but the commentary remains) gives insight into what we can expect from the Mereen plot.

The Tarly family has been cast. Character names and actors (confirmed by HBO) at the link.

Danish actor Pilou Asbæk cast as Euron Greyjoy.

More casting bits here.

Finally, B&W have confirmed that the show will run for at least 8 seasons. Of course, that was also unsurprising after it became clear that they were casting Greyjoys for season 6. Without confirmed casting for Victarion, though, it seems the kingsmoot will be boring, if they don't skip it altogether.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#2 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

It was always going to be a big ask to cover all the remaining story (at least two novels) in seven seasons I think. The Dothraki/Dosh Khaleen plot looks pretty interesting!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#3 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

I dont like the fact that TV series overtakes books. Thats just wrong.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#4 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 27 September 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

We all wish Martin had written faster. I can't think of any other instance where the filmed version moves ahead of the book. I basically agree with you, but I'm also interested in how it will feel when I go to the next volume. I am not one who cares all that much about plots -- it's the execution of them (double-meaning intended) that move me.

Thank you, Terez, for your detective work.

#5 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

Well GRRM should have thought of that before he signed the deal when he did.

There it is.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:22 AM

I'm not sure he cares. Who on earth wouldn't make a multi-million dollar deal with HBO? It's the smartest move in the world.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

in anime its a frequent occurence for the seires to catch up to an on going manga. You know what happens when the anime catches up to the manga? I'll tell you.

Fillers. An ENTIRE YEAR'S worth of fillers in some cases.

So yeah it beat the alternative

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:00 AM

I still think that he'd got to a point where he was unsure where to take it next, and when he found himself being offered a team of writers willing to finish it, and pay him for doing so, he went for it. This way the threads he's started get continued and untangled for him, and he can then follow what they've done, but refine it and continue the plots that have been omitted from the show, without the stress of trying to bring it all together somehow.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

I had planned to go into the idea of "the show will finish first" with an open mind. But last season I just felt dirty watching shit that hasn't happened yet in the books. And the fact that the show is getting more inconsistent quality-wise, I don't even want to watch the next season. But I know I will. I'll just feel dirty doing so.

#10 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

View PostTraveller, on 29 September 2015 - 07:00 AM, said:

I still think that he'd got to a point where he was unsure where to take it next, and when he found himself being offered a team of writers willing to finish it, and pay him for doing so, he went for it. This way the threads he's started get continued and untangled for him, and he can then follow what they've done, but refine it and continue the plots that have been omitted from the show, without the stress of trying to bring it all together somehow.

Sneaky bastard! :p

I'm not too concerned of the show overtaking the books after seeing Season 5. Before season 5 I was certain that I'd stay out of the internet and hide under a rock until the book was released, but I somehow lost that mentality at some point. Really actually enjoyed S5 as I didn't know what was going to happen next. Somehow I'm now able to accept the show as a completely separate thing from the books, something I never was able to do with Harry Potter, so the changes don't bother me, they actually interest me. Make me think about how it's going to change things and make all new theories.

#11 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 29 September 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

in anime its a frequent occurence for the seires to catch up to an on going manga. You know what happens when the anime catches up to the manga? I'll tell you.

Fillers. An ENTIRE YEAR'S worth of fillers in some cases.

So yeah it beat the alternative

Not all the time. In fact, it's more frequent for the book and TV show to go off in different directions. IIRC, the author of FULL METAL ALCHEMIST refused to give the TV writers any guidance at all when they caught up and suggested they make their own stuff up. So the story went off in a completely different tangent to what she was doing. Apparently she was quite impressed that they managed to pull her storylines together in a way that still made sense but was completely different.

In this case, GRRM has given the TV producers a roadmap to the ending and they may or may not follow it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#12 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

First promo image for season 6:

Posted Image

There it is.

#13 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:24 AM

I'm ok with there being filler seasons. Esp. if they are Dunk and Egg stories, or Targaryen, First Men, Valyria histories, etc. things like that. But I think the TV show and the books are going to go in two VERY different directions. Maybe its unprecedented, I don't know. But many important characters and scenes have been changed, condensed, tweaked or outright cut from the show and some things just aren't jiving. At least to me. I'm happy with both the show and the books and do not hold GRRm to blame for anything.He can take his time or whatever. I'm cool. Plenty of other shit to do until then anyway.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#14 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

With shots from the set being leaked every week it's not much of a secret now anyway.

It will be interesting to see where they take it. Is Jon now free of the Watch if they killed him?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 November 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

Well that poster if it's 100% legit...

The image is linked from the HBO Facebook page.

There it is.

#16 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostTraveller, on 24 November 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

It will be interesting to see where they take it. Is Jon now free of the Watch if they killed him?

That's always been my assumption - that and since Martin said that Winds of Winter would go "further North" than the previous books, I can only assume a newly-released Jon is the POV thorugh which we see that.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 24 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#17 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Don't forget Bran, who can observe all of time through the weirwood trees.

TV show will have a Fire win, books will have an Ice win. That's still my 2p. Also, the tv series will end in a big final stand-off battle between the powers of good/fire and the powers of evil/ice. The books will end without a big war, but instead with some sort of renewed truce between the two factions where the 'ice' side turns out to be the more sensible and Zen side, the Wall being a testament to their desire to keep wars and competing factions at bay. So an ending more like Assail than like the Crippled God. George Martin hates war, really.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

... Is Jon now free of the Watch if they killed him?

'ee's just resting!!!!!! [/python]
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 November 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

... Is Jon now free of the Watch if they killed him?

'ee's just resting!!!!!! [/python]

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#20 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

My brother just finished watching Season 5 and he and I were discussing Jon. I told him about the Mel resurrection theory and he responded with - "What if he is raised by the Whitewalkers instead?"

I had not thought of that

Share this topic:

• 61 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users