Malazan Empire: Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF - Malazan Empire

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Watch-and-read through of Game of Throne and ASoIaF Gradual Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:36 AM

Game of Thrones, Season 3, Episode 3

1. Tyrion absolutely rocks this episode. He has now gotten rid of one Joffrey loyalist and thrown another one in prison. He has a tentative alliance with Varys and Little finger is being manipulated. Tyrion's only weakness that I can see is the girl but he is using her pretty cleverly as well getting her close to Sansa. But I think his main channlege will be to control Joffrey without antagonising him too much as Joffrey's reflex action is "kill, kill kill!" and he still has the Hound and the Kinsguard. Cersei has been completely wrong footed for the moment.

2. The Greyjoy thing is progressing along lines i predicted. This is where Rob messed up. Baelon Greyjoy rebelled. he was defeated, not destroyed. There is no reason to think his ambitions disappeared. The only thing guaranteeing his good conduct was his son, so sending Theon was a horrible idea. This is where Robb's inexperience shows. He thinks of Theon as a brother, but Theon is a hostage.

I get the Starks problem. They have to defeat the Lannisters and capture Kings Landing in order to get the girls back. To do this they must proceed south and keep the North vacant. But now with the Greyjoy betrayal Robbs flank is exposed. Frankly the best thing he can do isretreat to the neck and sit in dfence, sending some men to the coast.If the Vale had joined them, they wouldn't have had this problem.

3. Renly.....has th emost understanding wife a man could hope for.

When Renly proclaimed himself king did he not think that his unwillingness to sleep with his wife and produce an heir would cause future problems? He didn't really think the plan through, did he?

4. Regarding Arya and Gendry ...they are still in trouble I guess, but why did that blond kid havel the bull helmet? Was he trying to steal it?

#122 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostAndorion, on 17 September 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 15 September 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Why can't I get any info about Ashai at all??Posted Image

Melisandre is from there. That is info. You are now up to date.

We never get to see that place, do we?

Not yet.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#123 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

View PostNevyn, on 17 September 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 17 September 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 15 September 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 15 September 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

Why can't I get any info about Ashai at all??Posted Image

Melisandre is from there. That is info. You are now up to date.

We never get to see that place, do we?

Not yet.

Posted Image

#124 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

To be frank I don't know. I think I should see the shows first though. I liked the book detail so much I will have trouble coming back to the shows

#125 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostAndorion, on 17 September 2015 - 01:36 AM, said:

Game of Thrones, Season 3, Episode 3

1. Tyrion absolutely rocks this episode. He has now gotten rid of one Joffrey loyalist and thrown another one in prison. He has a tentative alliance with Varys and Little finger is being manipulated. Tyrion's only weakness that I can see is the girl but he is using her pretty cleverly as well getting her close to Sansa. But I think his main channlege will be to control Joffrey without antagonising him too much as Joffrey's reflex action is "kill, kill kill!" and he still has the Hound and the Kinsguard. Cersei has been completely wrong footed for the moment.

2. The Greyjoy thing is progressing along lines i predicted. This is where Rob messed up. Baelon Greyjoy rebelled. he was defeated, not destroyed. There is no reason to think his ambitions disappeared. The only thing guaranteeing his good conduct was his son, so sending Theon was a horrible idea. This is where Robb's inexperience shows. He thinks of Theon as a brother, but Theon is a hostage.

I get the Starks problem. They have to defeat the Lannisters and capture Kings Landing in order to get the girls back. To do this they must proceed south and keep the North vacant. But now with the Greyjoy betrayal Robbs flank is exposed. Frankly the best thing he can do isretreat to the neck and sit in dfence, sending some men to the coast.If the Vale had joined them, they wouldn't have had this problem.

3. Renly.....has th emost understanding wife a man could hope for.

When Renly proclaimed himself king did he not think that his unwillingness to sleep with his wife and produce an heir would cause future problems? He didn't really think the plan through, did he?

4. Regarding Arya and Gendry ...they are still in trouble I guess, but why did that blond kid havel the bull helmet? Was he trying to steal it?

4. I can't remember what happened on the show. So, one of the other wall recruits had Gendry's helmet? What happened then?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#126 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

When the recruit camp was raided, one blonde kid grabbed the helmet and ran. He died and because of the helmet was supposed to be gendry

#127 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, I don't recall if he wanted some armor, wanted to steal it, or wanted to protect Gendry. It's one of those.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#128 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:16 AM

Why would he want to protext Gendry? He barely knew him!

#129 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:54 AM

Nah. People hear attackers coming. Lommy grabs the bull helmet to protect himself.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#130 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

Lommy grabs the helm because reasons.

He is young and selfish and stupid, and wants protection.

Or for the fourth wall answer, they need a reason for the guards not to find out Gendry, so someone has to be dead and there has to be a plausible lie why he's Gendry, but they don't want to waste much airtime setting that lie up, because it would be a boring expositional side trip with minor characters and no boobs.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#131 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:55 AM

View PostNevyn, on 18 September 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Lommy grabs the helm because reasons.

He is young and selfish and stupid, and wants protection.

Or for the fourth wall answer, they need a reason for the guards not to find out Gendry, so someone has to be dead and there has to be a plausible lie why he's Gendry, but they don't want to waste much airtime setting that lie up, because it would be a boring expositional side trip with minor characters and no boobs.

Your answer makes me think that this area is better explained in the books. Am I correct?

#132 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:13 AM

It should be enough to say the book features longer travel time together, relationships more thoroughly built, and some different throughlines/outcomes as a result. Book2/Season2 are where the real divergences start to fan out and that kind of question becomes harder to answer.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#133 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:14 AM

View PostAndorion, on 18 September 2015 - 02:55 AM, said:

Your answer makes me think that this area is better explained in the books. Am I correct?

The way it goes down in the books makes more sense, but the scene is not the same. That is the least spoilery way I can put it.

One of the challenges with the way you've chosen to approach this, that you will find increasingly as you go along, is that the show needs to be far more focused because of its medium. It has fewer characters (and they still have trouble keeping track of them), and spends a lot less time on side-plots along the way. So when you read the books after watching the show, it still feels more or less the same, and the bullet points are generally in line, but the details will differ along the way, sometimes significantly.

For now, I'd say stop worrying and carry on. You did not miss an important detail.

#134 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

Got it. I blitzed through a lot last night, summary and reactions coming up

#135 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:07 AM

Game of Thrones, season 2, Episodes 4-6

1. Greyjoy and Winterfell: I really don't understand how Theon thinks he can hold Winterfell. Even with his sisters men, holding it against northern armies, (Robb will send somebody) would be a pretty tough job. Also how did he get their so fast? Winterfell is pretty far from the sea. Any way with Bran and Rickon escaping he has lost some of his most valuable hostages. And Theon botched the execution of Sir Rodrik.

Main question: Bran is getting prophetic powers through his dreams?

2. Jon Snow: I found this storyline to be rather silly and predictable Of course Snow wouldn't want to kill her. And they are lost together. Please no romance, please? Its so hackneyed!

Question: If the girl is a wildling, why is sho so clean and well groomed? None of the wildlings and most of the Watch are dirty and scruffy.

3. Daenerys: I was wondering when somebody would target the dragons. Also Daenerys should wait until her dragons are bigger than chickens before she trash talks everybody.

4. Arya: This storyline I really liked. Tywin is such a magnetic character, and Christopher Lee would have been even more awesome here. I honestly thought Count Dooku was bak a few times. Many questions here

Questions:

1. What is this brotherhood the interrogator was so interested in?
2. The guy who Arya rescued. Why is he armed and in Lannister service as opposed to being a prisoner? Also why is he killing peopel for Arya? I am a bit hazy on this.
3. Why do the Lannisters have illiterate poeple in their service? In senior positions?
4. Littlefinger recognised Arya didn't he? There was no way he could have missed her.

5. Tyrion: Joffrey is a sadist maniac. Who has no freaking idea what he is doing. But Tyrion is rocking it again, especially the way he truned Lancel.

Questions:
1. Wildfire is Greek Fire right?
2. I am having a hard time getting a grip on the Hound. Why did he rescue Sansa? When nobody ordered him to?

6. Stannis: Ok, lots of people have said how the gore, nudty/sex, violence of GoT wee harring for them So far I have taken all of these in stride and nothing really put me off but.... I draw the line at pregnat women giving birth to monstrous sadow assassins on screen. That really really put me off. So Stannis owns the Baratheon faction. The Tyrells are fleeing, probably to raise an army of their own.

Questions
1. Why does Stannis need an army or anything really? Taht creature could infiltrate the Red Keep, kill the royal family, the genrals, the officers, the councillors and then Kings Landin would probably surrender to Stannis without a fight.

2. I am going to ask the question I think Davos was trying to ask Stannis. What guarantee is there that Melisandre won't turn her pcreature against Stannis if they ever disagree?

3. At first I thought that the Lord of Light is an analogue for Christ, but things seem way darker now. Also why did they go into that cave?

Forgot to include earlier: Robb-Talisa segment was sooo cringy. Warrior intrigued by beautiful healer-lady who dislikes him because of his violent ways has been done.

#136 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:43 AM

1) Taking Winterfell was as much about proving something to Daddy as any kind of sound tactical plan. But if you remember from S1 and the books, there are only so many ways armies can get to the north, and most of the power of the North is not there. So while someone could probably be sent, with the right backup from his dad it is plausible that Theon could hold, and its not so easy for Robb to retake while still trying to fight the war.

4.1 WAFO .... more on the brotherhood to come. You will get this answer, and you did not miss anything. Store the reference away and wait.
4.2 You'll get more detail on this as we go. But do you know that he is working for the Lannisters? Did he agree to help her? What words did he actually use? Does he speak like the other characters?
4.3 GOT is loosely based on european middle ages. People who can read and write are pretty rare. That is what Maesters are for.
4.4 Maaaayyyybe

5.1 Yes, and no. Similar idea, but perhaps more mystical and more volatile.
5.2 Maybe he's a more complicated character than you think. Maybe not. Watch and judge on.

6.1 Who says the creature lasts long? I wonder what it takes out of characters to do that, and whether it could realistically be done again. We're talking magic. It has limitations and it has costs. WAFO
6.2 There is an answer for this, but it may take more watching and reading to get a complete picture. For now, ask yourself why Melisandre would choose to help Stannis in the first place.
6.3 I don't recall the details

#137 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

View PostNevyn, on 18 September 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

1) Taking Winterfell was as much about proving something to Daddy as any kind of sound tactical plan. But if you remember from S1 and the books, there are only so many ways armies can get to the north, and most of the power of the North is not there. So while someone could probably be sent, with the right backup from his dad it is plausible that Theon could hold, and its not so easy for Robb to retake while still trying to fight the war.

4.1 WAFO .... more on the brotherhood to come. You will get this answer, and you did not miss anything. Store the reference away and wait.
4.2 You'll get more detail on this as we go. But do you know that he is working for the Lannisters? Did he agree to help her? What words did he actually use? Does he speak like the other characters?
4.3 GOT is loosely based on european middle ages. People who can read and write are pretty rare. That is what Maesters are for.
4.4 Maaaayyyybe

5.1 Yes, and no. Similar idea, but perhaps more mystical and more volatile.
5.2 Maybe he's a more complicated character than you think. Maybe not. Watch and judge on.

6.1 Who says the creature lasts long? I wonder what it takes out of characters to do that, and whether it could realistically be done again. We're talking magic. It has limitations and it has costs. WAFO
6.2 There is an answer for this, but it may take more watching and reading to get a complete picture. For now, ask yourself why Melisandre would choose to help Stannis in the first place.
6.3 I don't recall the details

Thanks for the answers. I get that Theon has very big inadequacy issues. I am waiting to see how this is developed later.

4.2 The chap was in a Night Watch cage, but now he is walking around in armour and has a sword in a Lannister stronghold. he had to have taken service with them. I think I need to rewatch that scene
4.3 I get the medieval analogy, but these people are tasked with sending important communications. He actually sent Lannister internal comms to a Stark faction. Tywin should have beheaded him

6.2 Why Melisandre is supporting Stannis: Best Guess: She thinks she can make him king and through him control all Westeros with her religion?
6.3 The cave: Davos rows Melisandre to acave which is barred part way in by an iron grate, and she births the shadow assassin there. Why did they need that cave?

#138 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:05 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

2 Ygritte is kissed by fire and sought after by Widlings. Simple way to look at it is that she is an exotic prize and who would want a dirty prize? Basically Martin is just showing her as being a step above the other Widlings.

Plus it's TV. When you read it ll be a bit different

Kissed by Fire as in Blond?

#139 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 September 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 September 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

Red

oops. Thats the color blindness kicking in again

#140 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 September 2015 - 07:39 AM

There's some degree of deconstruction/playing around of/with the noble savage archetype with the Wildlings' cleanliness and the Watch's grubbiness. One group is much, much better prepared to survive out there than the other, but the other has the advantage of huge systematic efforts many decades ago.

Also, keep in mind that the realm as a whole is only 17 years removed from a huge civil war and a smaller conflict before the civil war, which wiped out an entire major house (the Darklyns). Before Aerys the Mad, there was occasional strife during his father's reign and constant strife during his grandfather's reign. The nobility, the literate, and the best fighters are a dwindling crowd in Westeros. War has weakened most.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users