• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kanye West & Hip-Hop at Large

#261 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:43 PM

Here's an interesting little video essay on why the triplet flow -- think Migos, etc. -- is so interesting and started to dominate in hip-hop recently.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#262 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:21 AM

Okay, that's pretty cool. And they say that hip hop has nothing to it, eh?

I've been on a Run The Jewels kick for a bit now, and I just got hold of their cat-themed remix album (yes, such a thing does in fact exist) Meow The Jewels. The triplet thing reminds me of of one of the standout tracks: the 3D (from Massive Attack) remix Creown. I honestly prefer it to the original.

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#263 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

What an interesting story! Long-ish, but a good read. Dr Rapp, culture and a bit of neurophysiology.

https://www.theatlan...or-rapp/579634/

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 19 January 2019 - 01:48 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#264 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

Lowkey's back! Preparing for his first album in 8 years.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#265 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:52 PM

MF DOOM: also known as your favourite rapper's favourite rapper. The man's a lyrical genius - I mean, he's been known to spit rhymes where every word in one line rhymes with its equivalent in the next. Along with Czarface, the hip-hop supergroup prominently featuring Inspectah Deck from The Wu Tang Clan. What's not to love?

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 30 March 2019 - 11:55 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

....and I'm obsessed with this track.

Wiley is already great, then Stefflon Don comes in and makes it better, and then Sean Paul shows up and makes it even better, and then Idris comes in and covers the whole thing in gold sauce.

Also, can we talk about "And I write for myself, no ghosty" line? Love it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#267 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 April 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Wiley is already great, then Stefflon Don comes in and makes it better, and then Sean Paul shows up and makes it even better, and then Idris comes in and covers the whole thing in gold sauce.

Also, can we talk about "And I write for myself, no ghosty" line? Love it.

Also: the editing in the video is insanely good.

#268 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 30 March 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

MF DOOM: also known as your favourite rapper's favourite rapper. The man's a lyrical genius - I mean, he's been known to spit rhymes where every word in one line rhymes with its equivalent in the next. Along with Czarface, the hip-hop supergroup prominently featuring Inspectah Deck from The Wu Tang Clan. What's not to love?

MF DOOM teaming up with one of my personal faves, Mike Eagle, for his new show (which sadly I haven't been able to watch yet). Great song great video.

#269 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:29 PM

I mean, this could probably go in the kick ass vids thread, but ima put it here, cause that's how I roll <<<<< said in the voice of Kanye Posted Image

Twerking is probably at minute 14:45 of its 15 min of fame window, but dayuuuum, the asses bouncing in this vid. It takes some talent to get each cheek moving seperatly, sorta akin to rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time, cept a lot harder then that.Posted Image

#270 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

ok so this came across my feed.

My question to people here is, is opera/hip hop or opera/rap a thing? if so i'd love some directions to new music.

#271 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

To my knowledge, not really in the way that video presents it, with typical operatic voice. But there's Carmen: A Hip Hopera from 2001 (an essentially serious take) as well as R. Kelly's Trapped In the Closet (a comic opera -- mind you, with a deservedly disgraced composer).

One of my favorite Kelis songs uses an opera sample to great effect:

And of course there's space opera: Deltron 3030!

#272 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

Just saying, UK rap has been going HAAM this year.

#273 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:18 PM

(double post it's been that good)

#274 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:52 PM

Ok kids, time to get some learnin' and watch a real talent and not some schmuck who just push buttons and considers that being a DJ.

Behold the genius that is DJ Shadow w/ (bonus!) De La Soul!

#275 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Full leaked phone call with Kanye and Taylor Swift came out...and it turns out (as I'd always assumed) Taylor was telling the truth and Kim and Kanye lied through their teeth in an edited version of the call they originally released and sent Swift needlessly into a year of isolation and depression...all because Kayne could not tell the truth about lyrics in his song.

If it wasn't clear already...FUCK Kayne West. This guy started this whole thing by interrupting a 17 year old woman winning an award way back when because he could not keep his stupid mouth shut about how he thought Beyonce should have gotten it.

Fuck this guy into eternity. He is scum.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#276 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:16 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 November 2019 - 11:52 PM, said:

Ok kids, time to get some learnin' and watch a real talent and not some schmuck who just push buttons and considers that being a DJ.

Behold the genius that is DJ Shadow w/ (bonus!) De La Soul!

I saw DJ Shadow many years ago when he was touring for his album The Private Press, the man had mad skills on the decks, no doubting that. Yet he also somehow manages to be boring as all hell. He actually stopped his set to make us all watch a documentary about turntablism made by one of his friends. It wasn't a terrible documentary; and I might even have enjoyed watching it in another setting, but Damn dude, there's a time and a place!

#277 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:35 AM

#278 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:52 AM

Oh dear, that latest footage of Kanye... dude is nuttier than a chipmunk turd.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#279 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

Does anyone know what the deal is with Ice Cube? Did he do something more 'ye' than Kanye?

#280 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2020 - 05:16 PM

Came across that news item about Kanye West creating a hologram version of his wife's father for her birthday. Yikes.

Posted Image

Kanye appeared on the Joe Rogan podcast and I saw a clip from that and later Joe Rogan said Kanye is misunderstood. That's such a lazy catch-all. Nuh bruh, Kanye aint a misunderstood artist, he's nuttier than a chipmunk turd.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users