• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kanye West & Hip-Hop at Large

#281 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:22 AM

This thread has long since turned into just talking about how much of an arsehole Kanye is, and he is, but since MBDTF released 10 years ago today let's take a moment to acknowledge

just

how

fucking

good

that album was.

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#282 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 May 2021 - 04:33 PM

#283 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 August 2021 - 04:41 PM

What's Kanye up to? Going to run for president 2024 or something? I saw his name jumping up in news feed but didn't check to see what it's about. What did he do now?

#284 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:22 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 30 August 2021 - 04:41 PM, said:

What's Kanye up to? Going to run for president 2024 or something? I saw his name jumping up in news feed but didn't check to see what it's about. What did he do now?

He divorced Kim Kardashian, released/streamed a few versions of his latest album, and has been kinda doing weird stuff for the last year and change in between clothing/shoe releases.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#285 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:20 PM

I'm resurrecting the 'hip-hop at large' aspect of this thread because I just got linked a fucking awesome freestyle by a young group and we should celebrate it. The last guy (Eric Jamal) in particular, but all of them slap.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 30 March 2022 - 07:38 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#286 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 March 2022 - 12:32 AM

Search "Hip Hop Awards" AND "Cypher". Here is an example from 2021

Not all that great tbh, compared to past years. I recall the one from the year Kendrick Lamar participated was next level stuff.

In other news: How does it end with Kanye? His sitch with the Cartrash and Pete "big dick energy" Davidson. This ends with ye taking some personal time (i.e. mental ward), right?

#287 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:07 PM

Up next, a new segment called "Doocy on the Nines", where former president Donald Trump calls in and rails about the 2020 election being stolen, while Steve Doocy looks on and nods.

#288 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 11 October 2022 - 10:41 PM

'Watch the Disturbing Kanye Interview Clips That Tucker Carlson Didn’t Put on Air

[...] footage of Ye making bigoted statements about Jewish people [...]

[...] numerous antisemitic sentiments [...] a strange and lengthy digression about “fake children” he claimed were planted in his house to manipulate his own children, and a statement that he’s vaccinated against COVID-19.

[...] Ye has recently displayed an intense negative fixation on Jews; both his Instagram and Twitter accounts have been locked in recent days because of Ye’s antisemitic statements. [After the Tucker Carlson interview] he appeared to suggest in an Instagram post that the rapper Diddy is controlled by Jews. Not long after, he promised in a tweet that he would go “death con 3” on “JEWISH PEOPLE.”'

Watch the Disturbing Kanye Interview Clips That Tucker Carlson Didn’t Put on Air

#289 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:58 AM

'Kanye West’s appearance on talk show The Shop will no longer air [...] Company CEO Maverick Carter [...] said West had been booked months ago and that he seemed ready “to address all his recent comments.” However, [...] “he used The Shop to reiterate more hate speech and extremely dangerous stereotypes. [...] Hate speech should never have an audience.” [...] “sources close to the production say West doubled down on his recent anti-Semitic remarks during the episode.”'

Kanye Booted From Talk Show ‘The Shop’ After More Antisemitic Comments

#290 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 October 2022 - 01:37 PM

Kanye won't rest until he's alienated every single moderate and progressive community on the planet and he ends up married to a right wing Karen.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#291 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 October 2022 - 03:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 October 2022 - 01:37 PM, said:

Kanye won't rest until he's alienated every single moderate and progressive community on the planet and he ends up married to a right wing Karen.

Not just moderates and progressives...

'Fox News Does Awkward About-Face on Kanye West [...]

[...] Fox & Friends Weekend hosts [...] spent an early morning segment characterizing West’s Instagram suspension—for claiming that rapper Diddy was being controlled by Jewish people—as “totally totalitarian,” “totally anti-American,” and “just wrong.” They also suggested that West never would have been censored on social media had he not appeared on Tucker Carlson’s show.

But apparently, the hosts made those comments before seeing the subsequent tweet that led Twitter to lock his account. [...] “I’m a bit sleepy tonight but when I wake up I’m going death [sic] con 3 On JEWISH PEOPLE The funny thing is I actually can’t be Anti Semitic because black people are actually Jew also You guys have toyed with me and tried to black ball anyone whoever opposes your agenda.”

Just two hours after declaring West a victim of unfair censorship, the Fox hosts were forced to make a sharp reversal. After learning what he had actually posted, Cain called the comments “shocking” and “pretty ugly,” while Hegseth said called them “unfortunate.”

“We talked about it earlier without knowing about these tweets and saying of course they’re going to put a target—after what he said with Tucker, there’s going to be a target, no doubt,” Hegseth said. “But in this particular case, I mean he brought the target with that.”

Cain then made the roundabout argument that if you really want to “expose” racism and antisemitism, then society should not “constantly silence, censor and cancel” those who espouse it. Doing so will leave us unaware of what is lurking “under the surface.”'

Fox News Does Awkward About-Face on Kanye West After Antisemitic Rant

... though 'moderate' is relative....

#292 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:44 PM

Libertarian coverage (from 'Reason'):

'"If you ever find yourself thinking, *We acquired and will now publish footage that Tucker Carlson found it irresponsible to air* that might be a sign that the world would be better off if no one published the footage," suggested The Atlantic's Conor Friedersdorf on Twitter.

[...] "Kanye comes off so crazy in this that I don't have a problem with Tucker cutting most of it. I feel like he actually should have gone further & not aired any of the interview at all. Like, this is clearly a mentally ill person going through a manic episode."

[...] "I think the point is that the [out-take] footage makes clear that the person being discussed is actually in the midst of a mental health crisis, which is explicitly not how his appearance on the show was framed," commented Jane Coaston of The New York Times.

[...] Andy Craig of the Cato Institute suggested that in this case, "the harm to Kanye is minimal (his condition is already very public and has been for years), but it substantially bolsters the purpose of exposing Tucker's mendacity and scummy exploitation of an unwell man."

[...] "There's a meme that's arisen in the past few years, found prominently on social media: 'mental illness doesn't do that.' [...] Now we have Kanye West, known to have bipolar disorder[...] flirting with the right-wing, engaging in anti-Semitic tropes, and generally operating outside of the boundaries of what people imagine mental illness to look like when they define the mentally ill for political gain. He can't be doing these things because he's sick, according to many. He just can't.

Because to consider the other possibility, that his serious mood disorder has indeed played some role in his tempestuous behavior, is to invite that which modern political culture can't abide: moral complexity. In this era of social justice, everyone is divided between the perfectly unblemished victims and the permanently discarded oppressors. If West's erratic behavior was influenced by his bipolar disorder, we might feel compelled to extend sympathy to someone who's guilty of saying some unfortunate things; we would sully the perfect distinction between goodies and baddies. We would not be able to sit back in perfect judgment of West and comfortably assign him a place in our binary moral universe. We would be compelled to invite complication, equivocation, uncertainty. And we can't have that. So we must insist that West's bipolar disorder, a condition that can provoke extreme impulsivity and lower inhibitions, could not have played any role in his recent behavior."

[...] "Mental illness will not make you a bigot" is just not a true statement. I am a bipolar person who has been institutionalized for it and spent lots of time with other mentally ill people.

The fact is mental illness won't necessarily make you do those things, but it could!"'

Tucker Carlson's Ye Out-Takes Spur Debate About Mental Health and Media Ethics

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 12 October 2022 - 04:58 PM

#293 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2022 - 06:06 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 12 October 2022 - 04:44 PM, said:

[...] "There's a meme that's arisen in the past few years, found prominently on social media: 'mental illness doesn't do that.'

When I see this"mental illness doesn't do that" take I absolutely scoff at it.

My uncle dated a woman for 12 years whom I called Aunt...for 11 of those year she was a calm, collected, soft-spoken and genuine and caring person who would not harm a fly or even swear...but for the final year she went from the "depressive" state she was in for the previous 11 years into the "manic" one and she was like a completely different person. She actively engaged in bizarre daily activities that made no sense, spouted racist stuff (she was 100% Japanese Canadian) usually aimed at her own race, ranted conspiracy theories that often spiralled off into word-salad nonsense, and did things like told my mom that she was going to get gang members she knew (she didn't know any gang members) to attack her, and kill my uncle...all of these things came unprompted, and out of the blue.

BiPolar (or what used to be termed Manic-Depressive), fucks you up into a completely different person with the wheels entirely off and ZERO filters. Anyone who says otherwise, has never encountered a case of Unmedicated BiPolar in that 'manic' state in the wild.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#294 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:22 PM

I don't follow what he's up to that closely, except catching headlines that percolate up in the 24/7 news cycle. So I guess he claims to have never read a book. And yet has started a school, and identifies as a Christian and started a church with Sunday services. Sounds like a grift.

#295 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:53 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 October 2022 - 07:22 PM, said:

I don't follow what he's up to that closely, except catching headlines that percolate up in the 24/7 news cycle. So I guess he claims to have never read a book. And yet has started a school, and identifies as a Christian and started a church with Sunday services. Sounds like a grift.

'Kanye West Accused of Saying He "Loves" Hitler, Nazis'

... but he hasn't even read Mein Kampf?!

'Higher Learning podcaster and former TMZ staffer Van Lathan called out [...] West for [...] comments [...] in 2018, saying he wasn’t surprised by the artist’s recent antisemitic outburst. In a since-deleted portion of Ye’s notorious TMZ rant, Van Lathan claims that Ye professed his love for Hitler and the Nazis[...] “I’ve already heard him say that stuff before,” [...] “[...] I knew that that was in him because when came to TMZ, he said that stuff and they took it out of the interview.” “If you look at what I said at TMZ, it goes from me saying like, ‘Hey Kanye, there’s real-life, real-world implication to everything that you just said there.’ [...] ’12 million people actually died because of Nazism and Hitler and all of that stuff,’ [...] He said something like, ‘I love Hitler, I love Nazis.’”'

Kanye West Accused of Saying He ‘Loves’ Hitler, Nazis at TMZ

#296 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 October 2022 - 03:49 PM

'Ye Calls Cuomo's Show to Rant About Jewish "Media Mafia"

[img]https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/gwjst3vuxpU.mNnQXpYTRQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTU0MDtjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/9Cp_Ny5skAA4zjbeiZryLA--~B/aD02NTg7dz0xMTcwO2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/thedailybeast.com/3b57e1726470a4f0baec797052958e35[/img]

[...] claiming that the "Jewish underground media mafia" has it out for him and that he doesn't "believe in" the term antisemitic.

[...] calling into Cuomo's NewsNation show from the poorly lit back seat of a car.

[...] Ye also discussed his purchase of failing social-media site Parler, claimed he did not vote for Donald Trump, and criticized Cuomo for asking if he is taking care of his health. "Did you work out this morning?" [...]

[...] Cuomo called it "a lot" and [... said ...] he is not a "hater" of Ye'

Chris Cuomo Confronts Kanye West Over His Health and Antisemitic Comments on NewsNation

'Drink Champs Under Fire for Allowing Kanye West's Antisemitic Rants to Go Unchecked

[...] extended interview on Revolt's popular interview show Drink Champs. Joined by hosts and hip-hop legends N.O.R.E. and DJ EFN, Ye used the near three-and-a-half-hour conversation [...] to double down on his antisemitic views on why he, a billionaire, is being held down, as well as share factually incorrect conspiracy theories about George Floyd's murder, the media, and the movement against police brutality.

[...] antisemitic conspiracies about "Zionist Jews" controlling the media. He compares Planned Parenthood to the Holocaust. Ye even pushes the idea that George Floyd wasn't killed by police'

Drink Champs Under Fire for Allowing Kanye West's Antisemitic Rants to Go Unchecked

#297 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 October 2022 - 04:35 PM

Again, this is what unmedicated an BiPolar episode looks like. If he was medicated for it, this would not be happening.

#298 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 October 2022 - 05:15 PM

I think he holds a substantial chunk of these as actual beliefs and is trying to desperately leverage any radical right wing money into money for himself (these are conveniently timed around product releases). There is a run of 90s era hip hop Black Israelites thought that this is similar to and he's both doing this as a shock thing and a recursion to a time when he knew what was up in the scene.

He's close to cash broke because he spends money like it's going out of style on things like ranches, fashion production, trips etc. I think he's run out of creditors too, so his attempt to buy Parler etc is just hype.

The mental illness shapes the way his beliefs are communicated and how his choices are presented to him/others, but he's the one making these choices over and over.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 October 2022 - 05:16 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#299 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 October 2022 - 01:42 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 12 October 2022 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 October 2022 - 07:22 PM, said:

'Kanye West Accused of Saying He "Loves" Hitler, Nazis'

... but he hasn't even read Mein Kampf?!

'“[...] West spoke openly about reading ‘Mein Kampf,’ [...] and expressed his ‘admiration’ for the Nazis and Hitler for their use of propaganda.”'

'[...] wanted to name his 2018 album “Hitler,” [...]

[...] created a hostile work environment, in part through his ‘obsession’ with Hitler.” He “reached a settlement with West and some of his companies over workplace complaints, including harassment, which CNN has reviewed.”'

Kanye West had Adolf Hitler 'obsession' and praised his genocidal achievements and power

#MessageMusic

#300 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:40 PM

If Kanye's (at least) 'decade-long' history of antisemitism were the result of temporary insanity during his periodic manic episodes, there would almost certainly be reports of him having recanted or apologized when not manic, even when not under any significant pressure (rap culture might discourage apologizing, but Kanye has been notable for being willing to deviate from the 'never admitting weakness or error' style machismo of rap culture...).

As far as I've been able to tell so far, there are none.

His bipolar disorder is most likely emboldening him to openly embrace unhinged right-wing conspiracy theory 'culture' and making the negative consequences seem inconsequential.

He chooses to go unmedicated partly because he likes being manic, and to an extent it has probably benefited him overall... until recently.

Hitler's heavy drug use (and probable brain damage from being gassed, among other possible mental illnesses) almost certainly contributed to his anti-semitism (and that of the many Nazis who he encouraged to use meth and other drugs---that did have some benefits (for them), at least early on)....

Though tbh if he weren't inspiring or emboldening anti-semitism (as in Los Angeles, where they hung a banner from a bridge saying 'Kanye Is Right' while doing the Nazi salute) I might find it viscerally amusing if Kanye did a music video called something like 'Black Hitler', starring Kanye as ('heroic') Black Hitler, leading the 'revolution' with music....

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users