• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Daredevil - The Netflix Show Season 2: March 18 2016

#101 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

Just watched the first episode. The writing is sloppy in this episode. A lot of things just happening, characters doing things that seem illogical or just acting to further the plot.

It doesn't have the edge that the first episodes had but let's see where it goes.

#102 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostApt, on 18 March 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Just watched the first episode. The writing is sloppy in this episode. A lot of things just happening, characters doing things that seem illogical or just acting to further the plot.

It doesn't have the edge that the first episodes had but let's see where it goes.

You gotta give them a chance, they are literally setting up a whole new season. It's going to be very scattered up front. The narrative demands it with an arc-based TV show.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#103 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

Just finished episode 4.

I was really underwhelmed by episode 1 and 2. Then I watched episode 3 and 4 and god damn was that great. Episode 3 and 4 make the first two episode good because they put them into perspective.

I didn't think they were going to pull it off but the Punisher and Daredevil play off each other very well in this series.

EDIT:

I love that they're using his staffs properly now but they keep forgetting or underplaying his powers. Numerous times they fail to take into account how sense of smell works, how his sense of hearing allows him to track heartbeats, movement, how his echo location paints a room in 360 degree awareness, etc. Daredevil isn't supposed to lose track of people or not "see it coming". Chalk it down to TV-writing I guess but it bothers me.

This post has been edited by Apt: 18 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

#104 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostApt, on 18 March 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

I love that they're using his staffs properly now but they keep forgetting or underplaying his powers. Numerous times they fail to take into account how sense of smell works, how his sense of hearing allows him to track heartbeats, movement, how his echo location paints a room in 360 degree awareness, etc. Daredevil isn't supposed to lose track of people or not "see it coming". Chalk it down to TV-writing I guess but it bothers me.

I haven't seen episode 4 yet but you have to keep in mind after the end of episode 1 his

Spoiler

Anyway, loved it so far. Didn't have any of your problems with the first two episodes, though they were fantastic.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#105 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

7 episodes in I am really impressed with the choice of actors for the Punisher and Electra. Their performances are spot on.

#106 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 March 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 18 March 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

You gotta give them a chance, they are literally setting up a whole new season. It's going to be very scattered up front. The narrative demands it with an arc-based TV show.

Writing is only sloppy with regards to Karen hinting at her past and with the DA coming in. Everything else in first three episodes is great writing wise.

The editing/setup is a little choppy in the DD takes out the thieves action scenes and with Foggy's talk to the bikers.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 19 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#107 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:01 AM

Just saw the stairway fight. It was brilliant.

I also know one of the bikers in that fight - the really big one that picks up DD for a bit. Dan Miragliotta. Interviewed him. Also interviewed the thug without the tattoos at the hospital. Jay Hieron, who I think was also on last season for one episode.

The MMA/BJJ world is so small, yo.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 19 March 2016 - 05:01 AM

#108 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

View Postamphibian, on 19 March 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

Just saw the stairway fight. It was brilliant.

I also know one of the bikers in that fight - the really big one that picks up DD for a bit. Dan Miragliotta. Interviewed him. Also interviewed the thug without the tattoos at the hospital. Jay Hieron, who I think was also on last season for one episode.

The MMA/BJJ world is so small, yo.

That's funny, cos those are two names I actually recognise from the world of MMA, and wouldn't have thought of them being in TV much. Will have to go back and look at those scenes.

I just finished watching it and I think they did extremely well overall. A few minor quibbles, like the Matt/Foggy arguing going on and on and on and on.... As well as a couple of 'oh so convenient not telling the other person what's going on moments', so that there can be some kind of drama unfolding a matter of moments later.

But overall... great. As mentioned by others above, they really nailed it with the casting of Elektra and Punisher. I like how they've strengthened some of the links between the MARVEL (netflix) shows beyond oblique references, such as the lawyer from Jessica Jones showing up, however briefly. Since they'll all be operating in fairly close proximity, it frees them up to have more interaction long before there is a DEFENDERS series or film.

I think this season was a big step up from season one (which i really enjoyed) and comfortably better than Jessica Jones as well, in my opinion. I'm actually quite excited to see what they'll do with the LUKE CAGE and IRON FIST series' now.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#109 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

I would haved like to see Jessica slap Elektra around in a cameo, but I guess you cant have everything
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#110 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 21 March 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

I would haved like to see Jessica slap Elektra around in a cameo, but I guess you cant have everything

Jessica Jones? Considering Jones apparently isn't invulnerable, I'd expect a match like that to end up with Jones getting two knives in her chest and that would be that. Jones never appeared to be much of a fighter besides brawling in bars.

I finished the season over the weekend. Really liked it. Better than season 1 by a longshot.

This season felt much more "superhero" than the first season. On the other hand though, it didn't have the same feeling of depth. Not the same amount of crime and politics. The whole "I am a lawyer" business seems to get short changed every season.

I wonder where they are going in season 3?

I could see the Kingpin returning for a very dark story but I'd prefer if they'd build up to it with more seasons in between.

Spoiler

I wonder if they are going to make a Punisher spin-off. The Punisher was an extremely fun character through out this season. Both sympathetic and utterly horrifying. That Diner fight with the stabbing... oh boy.

#111 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostApt, on 21 March 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

I wonder if they are going to make a Punisher spin-off. The Punisher was an extremely fun character through out this season. Both sympathetic and utterly horrifying. That Diner fight with the stabbing... oh boy.

I've seen conflicting things about a PUNISHER tv series. On the one hand, in january you had rumours of a spinoff series being planned, long before DAREDEVIL came back. But almost immediately you had an executive saying that it was all fan speculation, and he reiterated that in feb.

I'm guessing that considering how DAREDEVIL season2 went (especially how well they did Frank Castle), THE PUNISHER will either eventually get his own series, or be a significant participant in several of the other netflix series like LUKE CAGE, and IRON FIST. Although, since LUKE CAGE is coming out this year, it might be too soon for that, so maybe season 2 of JESSICA JONES instead.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#112 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

View PostApt, on 21 March 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

It feels like everything they would have done in a season 1 of Punisher they already did here.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#113 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Considering that:

End of Season 2 spoilers:

Spoiler

View PostNevyn, on 21 March 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

It feels like everything they would have done in a season 1 of Punisher they already did here.

Which is awesome because it means we don't have to go through all that origin bullshit and can get straight into the murdering of bad guys.

Just give us a "Criminal of the Week" series where Castle stabs, pummels and burns his way through the American crime landscape. Oh and shoots people a lot of course.

This post has been edited by Apt: 21 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

#114 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

He's going to be a hard character to use. If you put him in another show, there's a danger he'll overwhelm it - it almost happened here, but this show can carry it because of the way you can play the Punisher/DD compare and contrast relationship. Even so, as good as Elektra was in this season, it was at its best when it was about Frank and fizzled a bit when it wasn't. And on top of his glaring charisma, he's easily the most competent, action-wise, character we've seen in the Netflix-verse so far.

Going for a full series- now they know how well he's been recieved- would seem the logical step, but it'll need careful handling not to become repetitive.

#115 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

The Punisher is best in short doses. I don't think a full series focused only on him is the right move. He needs a contrasting character to play off of, to prevent the story from becoming a crappier version of Dredd/24.

Besides, as brutal as the violence got at times this season, I'm not sure Marvel/Disney is in for a full season of murder, especially with mass shootings happening so often in the US.

#116 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 March 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

The Punisher is best in short doses. I don't think a full series focused only on him is the right move. He needs a contrasting character to play off of, to prevent the story from becoming a crappier version of Dredd/24.

Besides, as brutal as the violence got at times this season, I'm not sure Marvel/Disney is in for a full season of murder, especially with mass shootings happening so often in the US.

The counter argument here, using TV-executive logic, is that an R rated movie about a stab happy mercenary just earned Fox a boat load of money in the cinema.

How well would another Marvel related shoot happy vigilante earn as a TV series?

#117 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostApt, on 18 March 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

7 episodes in I am really impressed with the choice of actors for the Punisher and Electra. Their performances are spot on.

At episode 5 myself. I couldn't agree more. Sadly, their lines and performances are a lot better than the main actor's, to continue the line established in season 1, where Foggy and Kingpin outdid him by a mile.
I like the show so far, but I will confess I absolutely hated the scene with the power tool in ep. 4 (or 5? the one with the Irish gangster), which otherwise was a high point in the Punisher part of the arc.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#118 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostApt, on 21 March 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

The counter argument here, using TV-executive logic, is that an R rated movie about a stab happy mercenary just earned Fox a boat load of money in the cinema.

How well would another Marvel related shoot happy vigilante earn as a TV series?

Except that being shoot and kill happy kind of hurts your chances at having a recurring foil for your 'hero' to play off of.

I don't think the violence would kill it. I just don't think Punisher is well suited to his own series. Best as a counterpoint to other heroes.

Which is awesome because it means we don't have to go through all that origin bullshit and can get straight into the murdering of bad guys.

That's not really true though. Who are the other recurring characters on his show?

You would still have to go through BS origin, but have it feel almost retread, because you would need to introduce his 'world'. Characters need to interact with people.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#119 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostNevyn, on 21 March 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

Except that being shoot and kill happy kind of hurts your chances at having a recurring foil for your 'hero' to play off of.

I don't think the violence would kill it. I just don't think Punisher is well suited to his own series. Best as a counterpoint to other heroes.

To an extent this is a fair argument (even here, we're gonna be wondering why Frank doesn't just kill Fisk at some stage), but his Punisher MAX (the original,less so the Jason Aaron one from what I know of it) series proves it's possible to do longer, solo stories with the character. He has to be kept fairly isolated from the others, but seeing as there's no reason for him to operate in just New York, that shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, for me, he shouldn't be in the next Daredevil, because Elektra has to be and Bullseye should be and Fisk will probably be so it would get too crowded. He shouldn't be in Jessica Jones or probably Iron Fist because he doesn't really fit the shape of those characters and how the series go (certainly Jessica Jones). So barring a role in The Defenders, chances are the best shot to see him soon is some kind of solo project, imo.

#120 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:17 PM

View PostApt, on 21 March 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Deadpool has a few crucial differences:

1) Has always had women characters as partners, antagonists, and/or love interests, while Punisher essentially has none beyond the dead wife and child

2) Is more of a dark humor-themed hero than a murders gangsters-themed anti-hero; there are many Deadpool issues where nobody dies or gets hurt

3) Deadpool doesn't shoot up places and claim he's never killed an innocent

These things combine to make Punisher a pretty thin (fascist, gun-abusing, wish-fulfillment) character in isolation. It's possible a Garth Ennis type mini series could run, but that may be contingent upon the success of Preacher over on AMC. I think it's not the easy or best idea to do when there are other and better characters in the Marvel archives to run a full series on (She-Hulk, Ms Marvel/Kamala Khan, Taskmaster, Moon Knight, Silver Sable, Hawkeye/Hawkeye [Kate Bishop] etc.).

I say all this while thinking Bernthal is probably the second best live action Punisher we've seen (Ray Stevenson being the best so far). His monologue in the cemetery went way further towards developing empathy for the character than Dolph Lundgren or Thomas Jane were able to do in the movies.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users