Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#581 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 November 2023 - 04:02 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 November 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

To be fair, trusting the usual passel of sci Fi/fantasy Hollywood people is a very dumb move that several people have done to awful results.

Eragon, live action Avatar, dozens of straight to video efforts. I think Earthsea too.

And yet THE EXPANSE, DUNE, SHADOW & BONE, THE MAGICIANS, HIS DARK MATERIALS (Tv), OUTLANDER, GOOD OMENS, JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORELL, PRIDE & PREJUDICE &. ZOMBIES, ARRIVAL, BLADE RUNNER, THE PRESTIGE, ARCANE, SILO, PAPER GIRLS, STARDUST....the list can go on.

And when we let adaptations skew too close to the source material they become incomprehensible like SMILLAS SENSE OF SNOW....
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#582 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2023 - 04:02 PM

I ain't watching some nerd sit around watching something else and making jabs, unless he's stuck on the Satellite of Love with his robot pals. Any chance that's what BS thought he was there to do, and he just isn't that funny?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#583 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2023 - 05:12 PM

I skimmed the video with Sanderson becuase I was curious. He does come across as quite arragant. I didnt realise that he worked on the show and with that knwoelge it is also very unprofessional. Im suprised, never would have guessed that is how he is. First time I have ever watched him speak.

He has a strong sense of ownership for a work that isnt his. The line that struck me was when he mentioned he likes season 1 rand because they took what he did in the later books and brought it earlier into season 1. I think he means the fight with Ishmael.

#584 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 November 2023 - 05:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 10 November 2023 - 04:02 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 10 November 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

To be fair, trusting the usual passel of sci Fi/fantasy Hollywood people is a very dumb move that several people have done to awful results.

Eragon, live action Avatar, dozens of straight to video efforts. I think Earthsea too.

And yet THE EXPANSE, DUNE, SHADOW & BONE, THE MAGICIANS, HIS DARK MATERIALS (Tv), OUTLANDER, GOOD OMENS, JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORELL, PRIDE & PREJUDICE &. ZOMBIES, ARRIVAL, BLADE RUNNER, THE PRESTIGE, ARCANE, SILO, PAPER GIRLS, STARDUST....the list can go on.

And when we let adaptations skew too close to the source material they become incomprehensible like SMILLAS SENSE OF SNOW....

The good to great ones are maybe 2% of what goes into the grist mill.

I think Sanderson simultaneously doesn't understand how to make TV in terms of the daily nuts and bolts of being a writer + producer on the show and also has a better sense of story than them + a righteous distrust of the Hollywood process.

I don't know Hollywood that well, but I do work for a state government that has its own internal processes that are opaque enough and Byzantine enough that people outside all these processes can both be right about how it's crappy at times and also clueless about how to make the system work or alter the system slightly.

All I have to do is point at Krull.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#585 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 11 November 2023 - 08:12 PM

Ripping on individual people is just bad form in general, because you never know whether what they've done has been mandated from upstairs or not (or a massive amount of work has been dumped on them with not enough time to do it, etc, etc). To be fair to Sanderson, he doens't stoop to that level as to calling out individual members of the staff, but it's definitely skirting the line.

WOT is not without problems (it has a LOT of problems), but he probably shouldn't have done a live reaction if that was how it was going to go.

#586 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 November 2023 - 06:55 PM

Randomly got a 30 day trial of Prime so Mrs Tiste and I are going to watch S2. I think we might watch S1 again first though as a refresher. It'll be interesting for me because since watching S1 the first time I've read books 1 and 2 and am most of the way through 3 so I think it'll be a different experience this time round.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#587 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2023 - 07:40 AM

View Postamphibian, on 10 November 2023 - 05:53 PM, said:

... for a state government that has its own internal processes that are opaque enough and Byzantine enough that people outside all these processes can both be right about how it's crappy at times and also clueless about how to make the system work or alter the system slightly.

All I have to do is point at Krull.

As a good or bad example?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#588 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 November 2023 - 04:11 PM

As a mixed bag of "hey fantasy movies are doing great, let's get one going, but let's not allow anyone to create a coherent story by hiring a bunch of people who don't really know what they're doing plus studio interference".

Krull somehow beat the odds to be watchable, but it's still a great example of how the Hollywood process can work.

#589 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 26 November 2023 - 08:32 PM

I've got to wonder at some of the decisions made here. I get messing around with the sequence of events - to a point - but simple things like Thom having really drab clothes in the random mining village that Rand and Mat meet him in. I thought part of the gleeman thing is the bright coloured clothes etc.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#590 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 November 2023 - 11:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 26 November 2023 - 08:32 PM, said:

I've got to wonder at some of the decisions made here. I get messing around with the sequence of events - to a point - but simple things like Thom having really drab clothes in the random mining village that Rand and Mat meet him in. I thought part of the gleeman thing is the bright coloured clothes etc.

Reminds me of GoT... as if they think fantasy TV audiences can't handle men wearing bright colors (much less a purple beard---though to be fair they also nixed all the purple eyes...).

#591 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:39 PM

Finished it! Enjoyed S2 a lot more than S1 - new Mat is excellent. The Aiel are ligature just so cool. Loial continues to be the best thing in the show or the books (I'm sure I'll finish book 3 soon...) and I lived Elayne here (I like her in the books too but reading some of the comments up thread maybe I won't soon?)

Done of the changes from the books didn't make much sense but then everyone kind of got to where they're meant to. The Seanchan are great, so over the top evil it's quite entertaining!

Nynaeve is nearly as annoying in the show as in the books but the scenes in the arches were breathtaking and she should be applauded for how well she acted there.

Overall I'll definitely keep watching when S3 comes around.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#592 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:01 PM

Bonus trivia - new Mat is playing Orpheus when Hadestown opens in the West End in February! :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#593 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:05 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 December 2023 - 04:01 PM, said:

Bonus trivia - new Mat is playing Orpheus when Hadestown opens in the West End in February! :D

Based on the promo songs the cast has been doing on YouTube, he's going to be fantastic.

#594 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for that, I just had a look. He and the lady playing Hermes do an incredible Wait For Me!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#595 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 December 2023 - 10:47 AM

Finished Season 2. Definite uptick on season 1.
Still puzzled at some story choices but others made sense considering the extremely compressed amount of time they have compared to the books, and now some choices from season 1 make a bit more sense.

Nice to see Elayne and Aviendha weren't nearly as irritating as they were in the books. Gotta love a certain Forsaken bad girl as well. :w00t:

Seanchan were just as shitty as the books, so well done in translating that to the screen.
The solution to a certain Seanchan ter'angreal problem was solved a bit too quickly for mine, but it's understandable given the screen time available.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#596 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:17 PM

Do people generally find Elayne annoying? I'm enjoying her character in the books ATM.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#597 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:16 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 06 December 2023 - 05:17 PM, said:

Do people generally find Elayne annoying? I'm enjoying her character in the books ATM.

As w Nyneave and Egwene and every single other pov female character, some people find them annoying at some point. I think Min may be the only one who somewhat avoids this mostly by keeping a low profile and just stabbing people now and then.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#598 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:35 PM

Plus the whole tight trousers thing

#599 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:59 AM

I would say the problem isn't so much their individual characters (Faile aside, who is just genuinely terrible), it's Robert Jordan's limitations when writing women showing through - he relies a lot on what would today be considered very tired tropes.

What you'll start to get a lot of repetition of is them all thinking that the men around them can't possibly do anything without their guidance/nagging/yelling, and any time women are together (with the exception of Egwene, Elayne and Aviendha as the series progresses) it turns into a bitch fest, or they get competitive over a man and want to scratch each other's eyes out. It's tedious.

Whilst the show has it's flaws, what it's done to elevate Liandrin and Lanfear in particular cannot be overstated, and I hope the same sort of thing will apply for the main ladies going forward too. I like the little we've seen of Elayne and Aviendha, and I like show Nynaeve predominantly for the actress. Based on what she did with the damane scenes, I expect show Egwene is going to be brilliant if the series survives to the later books.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#600 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:24 AM

Yes I have noticed a lot of these things and already there has been a bit of "Ooh who can marry Rand" between Elayne, Egwene and Min but it hasn't been too annoying. I really dislike Nynaeve as I've mentioned in the thread I started in the other literature forum. I've not really found anything to disabuse me of that notion either.

I've only just met Faile but already I'm beginning to see why she's annoying.

And I agree with you TRB, the actress playing Liandrin in the show is marvellous. In fairnessost of the cast are very good even if I don't like the characters much.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users