Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#561 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 October 2023 - 06:10 AM

Episode 8!

Overall I really enjoyed it. Some niggles as ever but as a finale it couldn't have been more different than the first series.

Spoiler

May the Dragon ride again on the winds of time!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#562 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 26 October 2023 - 12:23 AM

It's an interesting one. Reminds me of Rings of Power.

Spoiler

#563 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 November 2023 - 07:49 PM

Finally got around to finishing the season. No really big complaints, other than echoing what TRB said in that the seasons need a BIT more breathing room and 10 eps would do it....but otherwise it was solidly great.

Donal Finn is a REALLY good Mat.

We loved the last episodes stakes ramping up throughout the ep....and trying to guess at who would take out Renna in the end.

If I could change one thing, I'd have had Egwene and Rand embrace like Mat and Perrin did...just a rush and a hug...her defensive shield was NEXT level as was Ishy's gobsmacked reaction to it.

I didn't mind the Dragon banner, it served to be a pretty cool effect. The scene with Moiraine and Lan on the beach was...like a triumphant cheer-worthy moment in an episode filled with them.

I also agree that Aviendha, Bain, and Chiad didn't get much at all to do beyond being introduced and using Perrin to bounce exposition about the Aiel culture and homeland off to the audience through. That said, what we got was still awesome.

It's funny, during the episode my wife asked me which "strong woman" I liked better, Moiraine or Lanfear...and I was like "Well probably Moiraine, but Lanfear could probably smack me around in that bondage gear and I'd be okay with it?"....she LAUGHED uproariously. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#564 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 07 November 2023 - 06:28 AM

The show makes a strong case for joining the Dark... and that case is Lanfear Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#565 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2023 - 01:00 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 07 November 2023 - 06:28 AM, said:

The show makes a strong case for joining the Dark... and that case is Lanfear Posted Image

Natasha O'Keefe is killing it, both seductive and villainous in equal measure...were I Rand, I'm not sure I could ever rebuff her...LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#566 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 07 November 2023 - 05:46 PM

She actually makes it more believable than the awe inspiring beauty she is supposed to be in the book. That never really connected for me in the book in comparison to this.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#567 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 November 2023 - 05:52 PM

View PostCyphon, on 07 November 2023 - 05:46 PM, said:

She actually makes it more believable than the awe inspiring beauty she is supposed to be in the book. That never really connected for me in the book in comparison to this.

Yep, agreed.

#568 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2023 - 02:57 AM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 09 November 2023 - 07:52 PM

#569 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 08 November 2023 - 03:18 AM

View PostCause, on 08 November 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

Doesnt seem to get a lot of attention but didnt moraine break the three oaths when she destroyed the Seanchan fleet?

I had wondered about that myself. My thought was that because she had been cut off from the source the oaths stopped much like it did with Siouan and Leanne when they were stilled.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#570 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2023 - 04:28 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 08 November 2023 - 03:18 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 08 November 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

Doesnt seem to get a lot of attention but didnt moraine break the three oaths when she destroyed the Seanchan fleet?

I had wondered about that myself. My thought was that because she had been cut off from the source the oaths stopped much like it did with Siouan and Leanne when they were stilled.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 09 November 2023 - 07:52 PM

#571 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:25 AM

I spotted too and thought a plotting flaw.

The only way I could think you could retcon your way around it would be to define anyone who is against the Dragon as a dark friend and therefore a legitimate target. I don't know whether the oaths are fluid enough to cover people working at the behest of a dark friend... Moraine would just need it to be true.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#572 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 08 November 2023 - 04:54 PM

It's been so long since I read any of the books, and a long time since I gave up on the series, so I'm happy that I can't measure the series against the books. I don't recall that characterization was one of Jordan's strengths. I think Lanfear is quite well done.

Spoiler

#573 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 November 2023 - 01:27 PM

View PostCyphon, on 08 November 2023 - 08:25 AM, said:

I spotted too and thought a plotting flaw.

The only way I could think you could retcon your way around it would be to define anyone who is against the Dragon as a dark friend and therefore a legitimate target. I don't know whether the oaths are fluid enough to cover people working at the behest of a dark friend... Moraine would just need it to be true.

I've seen a fair few attempts to explain it, but to be honest I agree with you in that it's probably a flaw that wasn't picked up.

Daniel Greene, Matt from The Dusty Wheel and Brandon Sanderson did a live watch of the final episode (it's on Youtube, I think on The Dusty Wheel channel). Whilst I found Sanderson to come across as an absolute arse through most of it, I do think his critique that the writing seems to favour strong individual scenes over coherent arcs is fair - and I think inconsistencies like this creep in as a result.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#574 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 09 November 2023 - 07:49 PM

I saw that. it was very strange. He was involved in the production, doing a livestream where he complains about his colleagues decisions just seems unprofessional.

If the three oaths are that fluid, then they're worthless, any given Aes Sedai could lawyer their way to 'I'm just collapsing the building, if you happen to be hit by debris, it's not my fault.'

Spoiler

They're not overall being very cohesive as to what can and can't be done.

#575 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 November 2023 - 11:07 AM

View Postthe broken, on 09 November 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

I saw that. it was very strange. He was involved in the production, doing a livestream where he complains about his colleagues decisions just seems unprofessional.

It's reassuring to read somebody else got the same vibe! I'm in one of the FB fan groups and there was a lot of "You just can't take criticism" sort of nonsense when anyone mentioned Sanderson's attitude in the livestream.

He addressed it a few days later and to be honest it seemed to come down to "I was under the impression I was there to talk" and "I'm worried about how it reflects on me if the magic system has poor continuity" - which is a weird, tone deaf take on how he put himself across in my view. I've never read any of his work aside from the WOT books he finished, and it honestly put me in a "I don't think I'll bother" frame of mind seeing him be so seemingly unprofessional and petulant.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#576 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2023 - 12:09 PM

View Postthe broken, on 09 November 2023 - 07:49 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 November 2023 - 11:07 AM, said:

It's reassuring to read somebody else got the same vibe! I'm in one of the FB fan groups and there was a lot of "You just can't take criticism" sort of nonsense when anyone mentioned Sanderson's attitude in the livestream.

He addressed it a few days later and to be honest it seemed to come down to "I was under the impression I was there to talk" and "I'm worried about how it reflects on me if the magic system has poor continuity" - which is a weird, tone deaf take on how he put himself across in my view. I've never read any of his work aside from the WOT books he finished, and it honestly put me in a "I don't think I'll bother" frame of mind seeing him be so seemingly unprofessional and petulant.

I agree, and it's not just you at all, he did similar things in the livestreams he did after Season 1 and a lot of it boiled down to "they didn't do what I suggested, so I can't like that"...and the guy he talks to in those chats was way harsher on it. It very much comes across as petulant and fanboy-y.

It reminds me of when I initially ripped on Steven Moffat for some of his later DOCTOR WHO choices when he was show runner (around the second season of Matt's run)...I didn't realize how I was acting until I saw a video with him where he talks about his anxiety with regards to audiences and how they will see his work and how he tries his VERY best to do the very best stories he can come up with and how people think he intentionally tries to piss them off...and I had an epiphany where I realized that no matter what I thought of the final product, ripping on him was pointless as he set out to do his best work and if it didn't resonate with ME then that was a ME problem.

I ripped on Chibnall later on, but tried to keep it to ripping on the stories and how I didn't like them and not about the man himself.

Sando ripping on people he should consider colleagues is AT BEST bad taste, and at worst comes off as toxic fanboyism...did he rip on the sexuality in Lanfears character? I could seem his Mormonism rearing its head in that fashion.

#577 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 10 November 2023 - 01:33 PM

I'd have to watch it again (not inclined to) but I think the Forsaken were one of the only things he was overall positive about.

I have my issues with Moffat's writing of women generally, as well as plenty of problems with his writing specifically for Who, and have probably said my fair share of pretty mean things about him in the past. I do the same as you now though and try to keep it to just criticising the work itself.

Toxic fanboyism seems about right - he seemed to be personally affronted any time they brought up something he had given notes on and they didn't take up his suggestion. Lots of passive aggressive "Well I tried guys..." comments and the like.

To give some credit though, in the follow up posts he did point out that as show runner, Rafe Judkins is one person in a writers room and they can all have different opinions and feelings about what's important to include in a very contracted run time. He seemed to acknowledge Rafe personally isn't at fault and pointed out a couple of things that Rafe went back to the writers room to bat for (the inclusion of the Heroes of the Horn is the one that stands out in my memory), so there seemed to be a little awareness at least that he'd managed to paint the show runner as the villain of the piece.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 10 November 2023 - 01:34 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#578 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2023 - 01:51 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 10 November 2023 - 01:33 PM, said:

To give some credit though, in the follow up posts he did point out that as show runner, Rafe Judkins is one person in a writers room and they can all have different opinions and feelings about what's important to include in a very contracted run time. He seemed to acknowledge Rafe personally isn't at fault and pointed out a couple of things that Rafe went back to the writers room to bat for (the inclusion of the Heroes of the Horn is the one that stands out in my memory), so there seemed to be a little awareness at least that he'd managed to paint the show runner as the villain of the piece.

I think the thing that came across in the video I saw was that he fundamentally misunderstood the concept of a writers room and also the concepts of adaptation of a written work (especially one that's older with older sensibilities not necessarily worthy of direct adaptation in the 2020's)...the difference between a reader audience and a viewing TV or film audience is vaster than many authors are willing to accept. There is a deft line between what's presentable in a TV show (adaptation or not) and what's not presentable in that format. Many of Sandersons complaints simply came down to gripes about that difference and he could not understand why they chose the routes they did. Which to me, as someone who has close friends in the film/TV industry, just smacked of not doing the homework to find that line and that difference. I'll be fair and say that there immersed in this process he is MAYBE the more he figures it out as time goes on? But I would put VERY good money down on this behaviour being the very thing that's prevented any of the Cosmere works from being adapted the many times it's been suggested that they were "happening"...because he won't buckle on adaptions.

#579 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 November 2023 - 03:21 PM

To be fair, trusting the usual passel of sci Fi/fantasy Hollywood people is a very dumb move that several people have done to awful results.

Eragon, live action Avatar, dozens of straight to video efforts. I think Earthsea too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#580 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 November 2023 - 03:54 PM

View Postamphibian, on 10 November 2023 - 03:21 PM, said:

To be fair, trusting the usual passel of sci Fi/fantasy Hollywood people is a very dumb move that several people have done to awful results.

Eragon, live action Avatar, dozens of straight to video efforts. I think Earthsea too.

Shannara made my eyes bleed.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users