Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#541 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 September 2023 - 10:50 PM

Episode 4:

Spoiler

#542 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 September 2023 - 11:21 PM

I’m watching episode 4 now and the bird’s eye view shot of two characters kissing was a real choice.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#543 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 September 2023 - 07:10 PM

Glad to see the prosthetics artists behind the Coneheads are still getting work.

#544 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 September 2023 - 07:27 PM

View Postthe broken, on 09 September 2023 - 10:50 PM, said:

Episode 4:

Spoiler

They already established that
Spoiler

Show's pacing has remained good IMO, though some might feel like the twists are coming too fast. Too bad it might have lost a lot of viewers with the slow pace of the first episode.

Yet more fight scenes in the dark where it's hard to see what's happening... which again could be good if done well---but so far they haven't been... maybe it's a mix of the color contrast and the choreography? Since I can't tell what it's going on, these parts actually do tend to end up being slightly boring when they drag on too long. Especially since I assume the main characters have plot armor +
Spoiler

#545 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 September 2023 - 02:25 PM

Spoiler

#546 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 September 2023 - 03:40 PM

Episode 6... I feel like Amazon's Wheel of Time arrived. Easily the best episode of the whole thing so far.

Perfect? No, there was one thread I still feel is letting the others down - but there was so much to like if not love about it that I can easily put it aside.

Spoiler

Roll on episode 7!

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 26 September 2023 - 12:26 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#547 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 September 2023 - 04:11 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 25 September 2023 - 03:40 PM, said:

Episode 6... I feel like Amazon's Wheel of Time arrived. Easily the best episode of the whole thing so far.

Perfect? No, there was one thread I still feel is letting the others down - but there was so much to like if not love about it that I can easily put it aside.

Spoiler

Roll on episode 7!

Madeleine Madden was great, but IMO Xenia Mendes-Jones only almost nailed it. Xenia's vocal delivery was slightly off in places. But overall it's probably the best episode so far. I'd say it's less like 'Amazon's Wheel of Time'---because that made me think of 'Rings of Power'---and more like HBO's Wheel of Time....

[Edit: correction, I accidentally referred to Xenia as 'her', but the actor is nonbinary.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 25 September 2023 - 04:12 PM

#548 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:08 AM

Spoiler

#549 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:01 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 25 September 2023 - 04:11 PM, said:

Spoiler

Roll on episode 7!

Madeleine Madden was great, but IMO Xenia Mendes-Jones only almost nailed it. Xenia's vocal delivery was slightly off in places. But overall it's probably the best episode so far. I'd say it's less like 'Amazon's Wheel of Time'---because that made me think of 'Rings of Power'---and more like HBO's Wheel of Time....

[Edit: correction, I accidentally referred to Xenia as 'her', but the actor is nonbinary.]

Correction to my correction: Xelia's pronouns are 'he, they, she'. (... And the name is Xelia, not Xenia. No relation to Xena....)

Xelia (@xeliamj) • Instagram photos and videos

#550 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 September 2023 - 12:26 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 September 2023 - 12:01 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 25 September 2023 - 04:11 PM, said:

Spoiler

Roll on episode 7!

Correction to my correction: Xelia's pronouns are 'he, they, she'. (... And the name is Xelia, not Xenia. No relation to Xena....)

Xelia (@xeliamj) • Instagram photos and videos

Ah thanks - completely missed I'd mispelled it!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#551 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 September 2023 - 09:01 AM

Apologies for the double post.

Episode 7

Spoiler

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#552 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 September 2023 - 03:47 PM

Some of these story changes are just bizarre.

I mean I assume someone read the books.

#553 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 29 September 2023 - 08:54 PM

View PostCause, on 29 September 2023 - 03:47 PM, said:

Some of these story changes are just bizarre.

I mean I assume someone read the books.

Is the second season any good?

Asking as someone who finished the last season with a fairly great determination not to watch anymore mostly because it was obvious that the writing team did not read the books or didn't like what they read in them.

This post has been edited by Chance: 29 September 2023 - 08:54 PM

#554 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 30 September 2023 - 12:25 AM

It's a big step up from Season 1, but at this point they are following the books only very very loosely. I don't even know how to explain it. The characters are heading to Falme, but how and why they get there as mostly different. Some of it works, some of it doesn't. Egwene's plot is mostly the same as the books, Moiraine, Lan, and Mat have almost entirely new ones, Nynaeve's plot is somewhat new, Rand's plot is mostly new, Perrin's plot has elements of book 1 and Book 3 put together with some of book 2, and some new things. It's complicated to explain.

Latest Ep:

Spoiler

#555 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:26 PM

Spoiler

#556 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 October 2023 - 05:36 AM

Maybe they read the chapter summaries on wotepdia.

Having characters say some lines from the great hunt word for word but miss out on so many important story beats is just bizarre. Looking at you Ingtar!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Cause: 06 October 2023 - 05:43 PM

#557 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 07 October 2023 - 12:57 AM

I don't know how to think about this. It's such a mix of brilliant and awful. It's just baffling.

Spoiler

Overall reaction summary -whuh?

I'm just... confused.

#558 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 October 2023 - 08:30 PM

Final two hours: most of it was pretty good, but in some places it was overly cheesy, incoherent, insufficiently set up, or badly done... including several pivotal moments.

Spoiler

The pacing was pretty good though, as was most of the acting.

Amazon sent me a marketing email it for saying 'Watch how it ends' which made me wonder if it was actually going to return for a third season, but apparently it's already been renewed. Hopefully it will continue to improve....

#559 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2023 - 06:05 AM

Haven't caught up on the thread for eps 7 and 8, but personally I thought they were the best episodes of the show so far. There's a lower ceiling for how good the show can be, perhaps, given the source material, but those were both pretty entertaining and actually felt like a climax to the season that came before them.

#560 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 October 2023 - 11:34 PM

View Postworry, on 08 October 2023 - 06:05 AM, said:

There's a lower ceiling for how good the show can be, perhaps, given the source material, but those were both pretty entertaining and actually felt like a climax to the season that came before them.

Perhaps (they could always add quality material (maybe hire GRRM? it's not like he's in any rush to finish ASoIaF... obvs decided the show writing was good enough for all eternity), and they haven't been shy about changing the plot, etc.), but a lot of the cheesy/corny/crappy and/or incoherent parts weren't even in the books... still, they were entertaining. And frustratingly close to being high quality throughout... except at some very important parts.

Some other things that disappointed me in episodes 7-8:

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users