Malazan Empire: So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony I am still not even remotely making this up

#41 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:57 PM

B-dogg himself has commented on his opinion of the show's progress recently: https://www.tor.com/...v-show-changes/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#42 User is offline   BfuckinK 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

They best get to stepping it up. Only 2 scripts (1 in rough condition) that he read in late May. Damn whats the hold up? No cast yet.

Get on it people.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#43 User is offline   paran falcon 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, music, birds of prey (especially falcons), bladed weapons (especially swords), woodworking, being outdoors.

Posted 05 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

For very personal reasons, The Wheel of Time may still be my very favorite fantasy series, despite some of its issues. I know I've become crotchety in my "old" age but I haven't been thrilled with a lot of fantasy-series-to-tv/movies adaptations. (RE: stretching The Hobbit into 3 movies, the complete bastardization of The Elfstones of Shannara, etc). I get that I may be in the minority and that some of these things are necessary for the visual transition. But I REALLY may not be able to take what can/will happen to WoT. I may have to avoid it completely. If I'm able to. I also really want to share this series with my daughter, who has become a fantasy reader, to my complete joy. And I DO NOT want a subpar tv series to be her first exposure to this world.

This post has been edited by paran falcon: 05 June 2019 - 01:09 PM

#44 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

I apologise for being contrary in this thread, but after having read the first three books back in the late nineties and losing interest, I again tried it this year. I am currently on the 10th or 11th book (who can keep track) and to be honest, it is a bit of a slog. I'm persevering because I got this far and there definitely are some interesting story threads, but dear gods there is a lot of unnecessary filler and repetition in this series. Half the time I feel as if I'm reading some young adult fiction due to the painful amount of superficial puppy love and nudity hints (hihi boobs). I cringe more heavily every time that one of the Special Ones (Rand, Perrin, or Matt) muses on how much more the other two know about women than they do. There is a bizarrely high level of spanking and whipping that takes place throughout all layers of society (cuz, you know, spanking/whipping is appropriate punishment, especially for women.....really?) that especially the girls/women in the series seem more than happy to be subjected to. The amount of times that we see the likes of Egwene and Elayne think that they deserve their naked punishment runs or extra floggings is bordering on the perverted (mister Jordan?). The whole series is also tropey as fuck, but I can appreciate that WoT is itself the creator/'populariser' of a lot of those tropes, so that is probably an unfair judgement when reading it 20 years after its inception.

Nevertheless, it is enjoyable enough and there is enough merit in the world building and concepts that I want to slog it out until the end. But I would hope that a TV series would cut out a lot of the dead wood. Seven or eight seasons, like GoT, it really doesn't need. As I said, I haven't finished the series yet by a long way, but I imagine you can easily do without all the Seanchan conquest/return stuff, several of the Forsaken, the whole kinswomen subplot, the tiresome sea folk and the elusive weather bowl, most of the city uprisings and tedious politicking (give Elayne the Caemlyn throne already FFS) and those pesky Shaido Aiel. Pffffff. It just goes on and on and on and on without an ending in sight. My understanding is that I am getting to the stage where the Sanderson crew takes over, so I am hoping that it will pick up the pace a bit and actually works towards a convergence instead of just throwing more unnecessary plot threads into the mix. But yeah, a TV series sounds interesting but it will need a firm script-writing/editing team on board.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 05 June 2019 - 03:26 PM

She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#45 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Interests:Gaming, Reading, Science, Climbing

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:02 PM

View PostGorefest, on 05 June 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

I apologise for being contrary in this thread, but after having read the first three books back in the late nineties and losing interest, I again tried it this year. I am currently on the 10th or 11th book (who can keep track) and to be honest, it is a bit of a slog. I'm persevering because I got this far and there definitely are some interesting story threads, but dear gods there is a lot of unnecessary filler and repetition in this series. Half the time I feel as if I'm reading some young adult fiction due to the painful amount of superficial puppy love and nudity hints (hihi boobs). I cringe more heavily every time that one of the Special Ones (Rand, Perrin, or Matt) muses on how much more the other two know about women than they do. There is a bizarrely high level of spanking and whipping that takes place throughout all layers of society (cuz, you know, spanking/whipping is appropriate punishment, especially for women.....really?) that especially the girls/women in the series seem more than happy to be subjected to. The amount of times that we see the likes of Egwene and Elayne think that they deserve their naked punishment runs or extra floggings is bordering on the perverted (mister Jordan?). The whole series is also tropey as fuck, but I can appreciate that WoT is itself the creator/'populariser' of a lot of those tropes, so that is probably an unfair judgement when reading it 20 years after its inception.

Nevertheless, it is enjoyable enough and there is enough merit in the world building and concepts that I want to slog it out until the end. But I would hope that a TV series would cut out a lot of the dead wood. Seven or eight seasons, like GoT, it really doesn't need. As I said, I haven't finished the series yet by a long way, but I imagine you can easily do without all the Seanchan conquest/return stuff, several of the Forsaken, the whole kinswomen subplot, the tiresome sea folk and the elusive weather bowl, most of the city uprisings and tedious politicking (give Elayne the Caemlyn throne already FFS) and those pesky Shaido Aiel. Pffffff. It just goes on and on and on and on without an ending in sight. My understanding is that I am getting to the stage where the Sanderson crew takes over, so I am hoping that it will pick up the pace a bit and actually works towards a convergence instead of just throwing more unnecessary plot threads into the mix. But yeah, a TV series sounds interesting but it will need a firm script-writing/editing team on board.

I'm in the same boat, read the first few several years back now I'm trying to tackle the series once and for all. I'm only on book 4 though, so I only half-read your second paragraph through squinted eyes. But that's pretty much the best summary of my biggest issue with the series so far. The Elayne-Egwene-Min love story stuff, the "I don't get girls", women and men are unknowable to each other, and the 'women are naggy' stuff. Ugh, it just skeeves me out. I haven't got to the whipping and spanking yet though ... though the fact that you're bringing up all these issues means they don't go away as the series progresses. I would have thought the whole "Rand is better with girls" thing would get old pretty quick.

I feel like I'm reading bad teen fan fiction sometimes. It does have its redeeming moments though. And a good friend of mine insists it's the best ending to a Fantasy series of all time. I haven't convinced her to read MBotF yet.

#46 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:25 AM

I take what Ole Sandy says with a pinch of salt as he thought everything that went into way of kings were excellent choices.

However I am hopeful that any changes they make cut the chaff out of the story.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#47 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Emperor

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:45 AM

View PostDadding, on 05 June 2019 - 11:02 PM, said:

I feel like I'm reading bad teen fan fiction sometimes. It does have its redeeming moments though. And a good friend of mine insists it's the best ending to a Fantasy series of all time. I haven't convinced her to read MBotF yet.

Best ever is a stretch for me but it does have a good ending - I actually think the series improved when Sanderson took over the reins because he wasn't wedded to all the fluff Jordan padded the rest of the series out with. From memory (it's been a while) you do get less of Jordan's weird fascination with certain punishments for the female characters. I don't think it disappears but there's definitely a lot less of it!

As others have said, I'm hopeful the cross to TV as a medium will trim the unnecessary nonsense and leave us with what hopefully will be a decent fantasy series.
- Wyrd bi ful ard -

#48 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 June 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

View PostDadding, on 05 June 2019 - 11:02 PM, said:

Best ever is a stretch for me but it does have a good ending - I actually think the series improved when Sanderson took over the reins because he wasn't wedded to all the fluff Jordan padded the rest of the series out with. From memory (it's been a while) you do get less of Jordan's weird fascination with certain punishments for the female characters. I don't think it disappears but there's definitely a lot less of it!

As others have said, I'm hopeful the cross to TV as a medium will trim the unnecessary nonsense and leave us with what hopefully will be a decent fantasy series.

That's the weird thing, WOT14 is absolutely fucking brilliant. It's a wild ride through that entire tome.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:39 PM

My fear is that the tv series will be far more SHANNARA than GoT.

Judkins has an actual decent TV writing cv post SURVIVOR, with things like CHUCK, HEMLOCK GROVE, and AoS... he can do genre, and he can do sf/fantasy in the tv medium. None of those shows strike me as close to what WoT needs to be, so I'm on the fence about his involvement.

I'm sceptical as fuck with Sony's. It's Sony... look at their track record with superheros and it's not wildly encouraging.
PUST: Go forth, Hounds of Life! Go forth and do my bidding!
CHASE: (quietly) I dunno pups... he seems to be bidding us to hurt a bunch of people.
MARSHALL: So? I mauled Mayor Humdinger's face and set him on fire that one time and he was totally fine the next week.
CHASE: Good point. (louder) OK pups, Paw Patrol is on a roll!
PUST: WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol

#50 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 June 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

I'm sceptical as fuck with Sony's. It's Sony... look at their track record with superheros and it's not wildly encouraging.

Mwoah. Spiderman: Into the Spider-verse, Venom, the first two Toby Maguire spideys, all not too bad. Spiderman 3 was a bit of a mess, but both Venom and the Spiderverse animated film are quite edgy.
She went and she left me like litter. She took all future summers with her. I lost all my money cuz I tried to bribe her. Now I can only afford an amateur sniper.

#51 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Emperor

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 06 June 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

That's the weird thing, WOT14 is absolutely fucking brilliant. It's a wild ride through that entire tome.

Agreed! It was never a series I got remotely emotionally involved with but boy, felt some of those deaths!
- Wyrd bi ful ard -

#52 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

I think it's gonna come out perfect and everyone is gonna be satisfied. *shrug*
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:31 PM

View Postworry, on 06 June 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Communist.
PUST: Go forth, Hounds of Life! Go forth and do my bidding!
CHASE: (quietly) I dunno pups... he seems to be bidding us to hurt a bunch of people.
MARSHALL: So? I mauled Mayor Humdinger's face and set him on fire that one time and he was totally fine the next week.
CHASE: Good point. (louder) OK pups, Paw Patrol is on a roll!
PUST: WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???
-The Malazan Book of the Paw Patrol

#54 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:39 AM

View Postworry, on 06 June 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Lemme tell ya folks

#55 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

I just hope they pull back from the identity politics rather than leaning into it. I don't want to watch a TV series about the battle between the sexes but one sex has magic!

#56 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostCause, on 18 June 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

I just hope they pull back from the identity politics rather than leaning into it. I don't want to watch a TV series about the battle between the sexes but one sex has magic!

Except then there's Randy Thor, who has sexy magic.

#57 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Emperor

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

I agree. It got old in the books and I don't need to see it get old even quicker on TV.
- Wyrd bi ful ard -

#58 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 June 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

Except then there's Randy Thor, who has sexy magic.

His theme music needs to be a slowed down strings version of JT "Sexyback". :thumbsup:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 June 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

I agree. It got old in the books and I don't need to see it get old even quicker on TV.

But how else will we get all that crucial braid-tugging? If you get rid of all that, you've just reduced it to a bunch of women trying to out-sneer each other. Plus some ... you know ... extraneous actual plot.
14 books cut down to 6 in a stroke! :doh:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 June 2019 - 08:07 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesnt work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#59 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• Emperor

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 18 June 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

But how else will we get all that crucial braid-tugging? If you get rid of all that, you've just reduced it to a bunch of women trying to out-sneer each other. Plus some ... you know ... extraneous actual plot.
14 books cut down to 6 in a stroke! :thumbsup:

Ha!

Unconfirmed rumour Rosamund Pike has been cast: https://twitter.com/...UCeNaFCMl6TbFoE

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 18 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

- Wyrd bi ful ard -

#60 User is offline   Cause 

• God

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 June 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Not to mention the current social climate. The internet will go nuts, It goes to far, it doesn't go far enough. Would a trans-women use saidar or saidin.

I just want to watch the dragon fry a million trollocs in the stone of tear with heat seaking lightning.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users