Malazan Empire: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread - Malazan Empire

• 56 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Marvel Cinematic Universe Thread Awww yissssss!

#161 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

As I saw pointed out elsewhere, shot at 1:04 in the trailer: he stood alone at Gjallerbru.

I've ever read that particular work in full, but heck, if the film can capture the awesomeness you can feel even from those scan-ups, it's on to a winner. Better not just be a throwaway moment.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#162 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostCause, on 10 April 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

What is the difference between movie asgsrdians and comic asgsrdians.

Interpretation of the gods nature and their presentation.

The Asgardians have been featured in the Marvel universe since the Silver Age but it's been done in different ways. The way the Marvel films show the Asgardians is pretty similar to the old Stan Lee and Jack Kirby version, with weird utopian future castles and shiny armor and stuff. Cosmic/dimensional beings and not actual supernatural beings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the last decade or so, they did a new interpretation of the gods and emphasized the viking mythology much more, with everyone being more "elemental" and everything being more fantasy or fairytale. Old stone castles, warriors covered in chain mail and pelts, big beards, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

In reality the films are more of an amalgam of both ideas of course, we still see Thors companions looking medieval or viking like. I just don't like the execution and I do not like the idea of Thor being treated as an Alien and not an actual god. The super natural aspect has been downplayed and I think it fundamentally waters down the appeal of the Asgardian gods.

Also the Thor films are 75% garbage.

This post has been edited by Apt: 11 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

#163 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

The concept of Thor (in the Marvel Universe) as an actual God (capital 'g') is surely undermined as much by the actual comics as anything the movies have done? That is to say, the massive expansion of the Earth-616 universe since 1962 has seen the wrapping on multiple mythologies and their denizens into the wider Marvel mythos, relegating these figures from true 'God' status to one among an ever growing list of powerful immortal beings. The closest to a true god you will ever see in the Marvel Comics now - take now with a pinch of salt though, I haven't read anything more recent than about 2014/15 and even then sporadically since 2010 - is the Living Tribunal and even then The Beyonder - at least pre-retcon - and Molecule Man at his height are arguably even more powerful still. Though he is always referred to in comics as a 'god' - and I will admit there's less of the alien about him for sure - this has for many years meant less and less in practical terms.

The comics themselves are also responsible for establishing the idea that the Asgardians have had and continue to have contact with alien species, and did so long before earth heroes ever did. It's natural they would have extensive knowledge of other worlds, especially when one considers how their protection of Midgard would require a presence in the wider universe be felt.

I do understand what you are saying about a lack of focus on him and other Asgardians as gods though, especially seeing as the movies don't actually have all the other god level characters that the comics do as a distraction - Thanos, the Mad Titan being the obvious exception. Personally, I too would like to see more focus on the viking mythologies and medieval look - even though some of that old Kirby stuff is incredible :)

EDIT: Yeah the Thor films have been mostly rubbish, Thor was sooooo much better in The Avengers. I have high hopes for this film though, possibly that's because I never learn but dammit if I don't want to lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 11 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#164 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

I agree, the comics haven't done a great job themselves... UNTIL Volume 3 of the Thor comics, which I really loved, and which I think did a wonderful job of redesigning/rethinking the gods and their power. The stuff they published around the time Civil War was happening was really well written. And it in turn influenced my expectations for the films. Can't say they lived up to that comic book run at all.

#165 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:20 AM

Trailer shows a lot.
But it's a kicking tune

#166 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostApt, on 11 April 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

I agree, the comics haven't done a great job themselves... UNTIL Volume 3 of the Thor comics, which I really loved, and which I think did a wonderful job of redesigning/rethinking the gods and their power. The stuff they published around the time Civil War was happening was really well written. And it in turn influenced my expectations for the films. Can't say they lived up to that comic book run at all.

It's been a long time since I read those Thor comics actually, I do remember them being pretty good, will have to read them again at some point. Mostly been reading digital copies of old comics whenever I get any time for that recently.

You know what though actually, I realised after I posted that last comment that much of it is largely irrelevant to what you were actually saying. It is true that the comics are responsible for an over-saturation that led to the diminishment of what the Asgardians are supposed to be, and the direction of the comics often wasn't that great either in terms of pure characterisation, but I doubt a large enough percentage of the audience are familiar enough with the comics to already have such preconceived notions about Asgardians in general. Hence it's pretty irrelevant as far as the movies are concerned. Had the movies gone with less of an amalgam of the two 'Asgards' as you posted and stuck with Thor, Loki and crew as actual gods, used the mythology more as a cornerstone of their portrayal then we could easily have had something more like what you are looking for and I agree with that position. A bit of a missed opportunity for sure, considering the endless source material and essentially blank canvas on which to place the best parts.

I guess as well that it doesn't help that from the off the Hulk has been undermining pretty much everyone when it comes to power levels. Personally I love The Hulk, always have, always will, but his mere presence can cause issues in that way.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 11 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

#167 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:56 AM

Thor and The Hulk riffing back and forth might be the best thing I've seen today.

#168 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:46 AM

That was not a great trailer. It makes the film look like a complete clusterfuck of ideas. That might make sense in the story, what with Thor travelling around the 9 worlds or what ever but this just looked like chaos. Also don't like the notion of Hel just being this unstoppable force when she's facing other Asgardians but what ever.

Then again, I've never been happy with any of the Thor films.

#169 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

I tend to agree, Thor 2 -- while not a great movie -- was at least entertaining, while the first one sucked eggs all around. I kinda skipped around the trailer so not to catch too much content, but Ragnarok looks pretty fun and the Ruffalo Hulk is one of the best characters in the MCU. I also think Hemsworth is getting better (at acting in general), and especially getting the hang of the charming doofus hunk thing that Channing Tatum is so good at.

This post has been edited by worry: 23 July 2017 - 06:10 AM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#170 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

Wow, Thor 2 being better than Thor 1 is an opinion I'd expect out of Apt - it's crazy how people view things differently, isn't it? Differently and wrongly.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 23 July 2017 - 08:55 AM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#171 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

It's probably because Thor 1 was so shitty that it made Thor 2 look good. Yes, I think I figured it out.

#172 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

I'm actually really looking forward to Ragnarok, any MCU movie that actually gives me Ruffalo's Hulk I'm damn happy about, still annoyed he's not had a solo outing, but I guess it's tough to make believable villains for him that aren't super powerful and leave audiences wonder why other heroes aren't there too.

Was expecting Dr. Strange to show up somewhere in this movie, guess he might still do so, figured they might want him to be seen again at least once before Infinity War.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 23 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

#173 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 23 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

It'd be a bit weird if he didn't considering the set pictures of Thor at his house.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#174 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

Lol, I haven't actually seen those tbh, Thor is in his house in the post credits scene for Dr. Strange though, which is why I'm expecting it.

#175 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:59 AM

I like it. I'm not worried about the plot at all - some big bad coming, destroying the breakfast club, and the hero rounding up a ragtag bunch that don't quite get along is tried and true, and Hulk/Thor/Loki are already proven to have enough chemistry/interplay to keep it interesting and not too cliche.

I'm a bit baffled by the disco-tech aesthetics and how spacey it is. The two previous Thor movies were relentlessly fantasy-esque - even in the intro of Dark World the invaders at most have ballistic guns and the town is all wood and dark ages-like. So it feels weird to have all these Guardians of the Galaxy-looking spaceships and laser guns and whatnot. But you know, this could be good for Thor and Asgard - the Asgardians kind of feel "off" in the Marvel universe now that it has way bigger, more impressive magic from Doctor Strange than the Asgardian/Frost Giant/Dark Elf/etc magitech, and bigger flashier technology from NovaCorps, Thanos' army, etc. If the Asgardians' aesthetic could stop looking like just a bunch of well-trained humans fighting with swords and a few quirky devices, and instead become sort of Protoss-like high-tech warriors and techno-mages they might start actually fitting in better with the bigger MCU and actually be as imposing as they are supposed to be?

It could even be worked into the plot a la "now that we've beaten Hel, we need to rebuild Asgard, but this time we won't stick to the old traditions that weakened us while the rest of the universe caught up and surpassed us"

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#176 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostD, on 24 July 2017 - 03:59 AM, said:

I like it. I'm not worried about the plot at all - some big bad coming, destroying the breakfast club, and the hero rounding up a ragtag bunch that don't quite get along is tried and true, and Hulk/Thor/Loki are already proven to have enough chemistry/interplay to keep it interesting and not too cliche.

I'm a bit baffled by the disco-tech aesthetics and how spacey it is. The two previous Thor movies were relentlessly fantasy-esque - even in the intro of Dark World the invaders at most have ballistic guns and the town is all wood and dark ages-like. So it feels weird to have all these Guardians of the Galaxy-looking spaceships and laser guns and whatnot. But you know, this could be good for Thor and Asgard - the Asgardians kind of feel "off" in the Marvel universe now that it has way bigger, more impressive magic from Doctor Strange than the Asgardian/Frost Giant/Dark Elf/etc magitech, and bigger flashier technology from NovaCorps, Thanos' army, etc. If the Asgardians' aesthetic could stop looking like just a bunch of well-trained humans fighting with swords and a few quirky devices, and instead become sort of Protoss-like high-tech warriors and techno-mages they might start actually fitting in better with the bigger MCU and actually be as imposing as they are supposed to be?

It could even be worked into the plot a la "now that we've beaten Hel, we need to rebuild Asgard, but this time we won't stick to the old traditions that weakened us while the rest of the universe caught up and surpassed us"

I like this. This is a good idea. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#177 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Yeah that always bothered me about asgaurd

Theyou have these super advanced laser canon towers as city defenses but w
Their foot solders run around with swords and spears

#178 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

I'm going to chime in with that I also think THOR 2 is FAR superior to THOR 1. Like by a country mile better.

...and I think RAGNAROK looks like a blast!

And D'rek, I think the disco-vibe is a purposeful attempt to replicate some of GOTG's runaway success. And It think it works. Bright, almost garish colour scheme and space seem to fit the MCU well.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#179 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

I think the bright visuals work for the parts that are set at the crucible, It's clearly a hedonistic future society that gets its kicks from arena combat. while they carried the tone for the whole trailer I would be surprised if the Asgardian portion of the film gets the bright lights vegas treatment.

Besides, ultimately GoG and Avengers worlds collide don't they? so its all set in the universe, makes sense that getting away from Earth and Asgard that things tail more towards the GoG expanded universe as it were

#180 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

From what I've heard of the leaked Infinity War trailer, literally!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

Share this topic:

• 56 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users