• You cannot reply to this topic

Growing irritations w Dresden series Spoilers ALL BOOKS SPOILERS

#201 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostCause, on 05 November 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

I understand that Dresden truly was successful in removing the curse and that the Chicago cubs have won?

I still think it's a Denariian plot.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#202 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

I feel bad for the Cubs. Finally break the duck and it's still only the second most unlikely feelgood sporting story of the year.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#203 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 November 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

I feel bad for the Cubs. Finally break the duck and it's still only the second most unlikely feelgood sporting story of the year.

OK, I'll bite: what's the first?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#204 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostCaptain Needa, on 06 November 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Leicester winning the Premier League, of course.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#205 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:05 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 November 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

View PostCaptain Needa, on 06 November 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

Leicester winning the Premier League, of course.

Ha! Fair enough. I had thought you were referring to something more American-centric.

Ireland beating the All Blacks would be up there as well.

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 13 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#206 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

I was going to say that it wasn't even the most unlikely major event that week. Trump won presidency less than a week later.

#207 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

I read to book seven and have set these books aside. I may come back to it but I got sick of all the shit Harry had to put up with, even from friends. I never liked Murphy and I hated her "I am woman hear me roar" attitude. If he saved her she was angry that he treated her like a damsel in distress. I'm sorry but even a tough person with her training is still a damsel in distress when it comes to a lot of the shit Harry deals with. Whenever Harry withholds information she immediately gets mad and pouts about how he can't trust her and that she is a big girl and can handle it. No matter how competent she is as a cop she is still bringing a gun to a magic fight. Since she can't do any magic and has no protection against magic then maybe it wouldn't kill her to admit that Harry might be protecting her not because she is a girl but because she is a nothing in the magical world. Michael's wife hates Harry for putting her husband in danger. I'm pretty sure that being a knight of the cross is what's putting him in danger. There have been many moments where I felt Harry held back and yet his friends still have accused him of being too mean. Basically any little thing that irritated me seemed to get worse even as the storyline grew more interesting so I felt it time to take a break.

#208 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Legit criticisms there RACHEL. Murphy is a character that I struggle with at times for precisely the reasons you outline. I know its a long way off, but in the last few published books that situation has improved somewhat, in that she seems to be a bit (a small bit) more accepting of her actual role in things.

Funnily enough though, the Charity situation does get some clarification in the coming books so you can at least understand her crankiness towards Dresden (and why its him she's gets mad at not Michael).

Since it was irritating you that much you're probably wise to have taken a break. But I genuinely think that the stories really starts to jump up in level from Book 7 (Dead Beat) on.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#209 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:44 PM

You're the second person I've seen who quit the series after book 7. Funny because I--and many others--think that's where the series really takes off. It was comfortably the best book in the series up to that point.

#210 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, while i agree with some of your concerns, all i got out of you post was "You stopped reading AFTER DEAD BEAT!?!?"

I think you would have had to gouge my eyes out to get me to stop reading the series after Dead Beat.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#211 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

The Murphy criticism is strange to me. She is often left in the dark (until later in the series) and as such, has little to go by and is clearly frustrated with Dresden, all though she understands him. If anything it's Dresden who is an ass for not sitting down and writing an outline of does and don't's for the officers or at least Murphy and her partner. Secrecy can get people killed just as well as too much information can.

Beyond that I LOVE the Murphy Dresden friendship. Like to the point that I would get seriously emotional just reading their exchanges, especially after you know what happens around Changes. Butcher has his faults as a writer but in terms of building relationships and writing dialogue I have always loved his characters. Like to the point that he could just write a short story about Dresden and Murphy hooking up, retiring and leaving Chicago and living happily ever after and I would be PERFECTLY fine with that.

#212 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

Yah, most of my criticisms of the series (none of which bother me enough to quit) are Harry- and Butcher-focused. I like Harry most of the time, but he is easily the most annoying character in the series -- and those moments usually come down to elements where I consider Harry a Butcher avatar (the excessive rationalizations of chivalry, etc.). Sometimes I fear Butcher has a fedora collection and a history of using the word m'lady in his instant messenger logs. Though I do think Butcher is more self-aware than most, and characters like Murphy benefit from being able to push back on that stuff.

So all told, if he is a fedora dude [lump in my throat, teary-eyed] ... he's one of the best who ever lived.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#213 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

I was thinking about my reading goal for the new year and realized that I finished book 7 in May and have not picked up the series since. While there are a lot of things to like about the series I remembered my irritations with the series quicker than the things I liked. Mostly it was the fact that this series was a "like" for me and not a "love" so I'm putting it on hold for awhile. I plan on picking it up again just maybe not this year.

#214 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

I'm very frustrated with Dresden! Its been like 2 years since my last fix

#215 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:28 AM

Yeah my frustration is 'where's the rest?'

I need!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#216 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:57 AM

So i just read/partway listened to working for bigfoot. I think, like side jobs this book does two things.

Firstly it slaked the thirst just a lil. Helped me cope with some minor withdrawal and helped me rewind a bit to Harrys more mundane role as a magical PI. The moral subtext about standing up to abuse helped me deal with a few personal issues so bonus points for that.

The second thing which I think i realize may be a common problem here, it took me back from the main plot and my investment in certain characters. I find reading Skullsworn did the same thing for its respective series. These small inbetweeners let me visit the dresden world with a lot less baggage. Not once did I roll my eyes thinking 'damn this guys in here?' It helped reset some opinions is my point.

So with a series this long I reccommend these snackers. It will help deal with the minor irritations.

This post has been edited by Dolmen 2.0: 15 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#217 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

This is a Brief Cases thing.
Spoiler

#218 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:34 AM

Did you finish that story?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#219 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:21 AM

I'm midway through that one right now. I mean I like this story too, which is why I put my gripe here instead of the main BC thread.

#220 User is offline   RACHEL 

• Captain

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:28 PM

Up thread I mentioned that I put Dresden aside and might come back to it later. I am officially done. I got the dangerous women anthology which has the Butcher short story "Bombshells" in it. I was irritated by so many things throughout the story and it reminded me of all my irritations with the series. I guess these books just aren't for me.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users