• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

Where I'm from, bastards are given the role of official bacne popper for their noble parents so if you say one has "my blood" it means they're doing a good job squeezing all those zits, and you're acknowledging it's messy work.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#102 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:20 AM

The nobles do a ton of steroids back home, eh Worry?

You aren't from that aggressive military industrial nation bent upon making us conform to the satsuma standard, are you?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#103 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

With the changes they've made away from the books, I'm starting to wonder what Littlefinger's true intentions and long term goals are. He's always making those sleazy deals in dark corners. I wouldn't put it past him to be setting in motion an attempt at joining up with the 'king' of the white walkers.

There's definitely more up his sleeve than whatever ruse he has concocted with Roose Bolton, and he's running out of places to go/major houses to screw over.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#104 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

I'm figuring he intends to have the Northmen oust the Boltons in favour of Sansa, then he marries Sansa... Presto, the North and the Eyrie are united and he has enough power to give no fucks about anyone else. A few more careful alliances and next thing y'know it's King Baelish.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#105 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:01 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 May 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

I'm figuring he intends to have the Northmen oust the Boltons in favour of Sansa, then he marries Sansa... Presto, the North and the Eyrie are united and he has enough power to give no fucks about anyone else. A few more careful alliances and next thing y'know it's King Baelish.

'Twas pretty much my thoughts, which I thought I posted here, but apparently it was on Theoryland. Also, in the show he still has the Tyrells. I don't remember how well he maintained that alliance in the books.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#106 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:41 AM

Wow, goodbye books.

I liked the scene with Stannis and his daughter, but I fear that the producers are trying to make him too lovable. Kind of like what happened to the American Office.

#107 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

Pretty awesome. I'm not sure a dad loving his daughter is particularly nerfed out though, especially if she ends up being the wedge between him and Melisandre, since that seems to be a book trajectory too. I guess the only thing I didn't like was the final fight feeling a little too one-at-a-time kung fu movie by the end (though it started out pretty nicely). Kinda thinking one (or more) of the Sand Snakes are gonna replace the Darkstar, if that happens.

This post has been edited by worry: 04 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

#108 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

I just hope it's not a "Look, he's such a nice guy! Oh, now he's dead." thing. I really like Stannis in the show.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#109 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

That final fight was utter horseshit. A bunch of rich ponces in masks that block out most of their FOV vs. dudes trained practically from birth to be brothers and soldiers. If the Unsullied had just stayed in formation, then they would have wrecked the Harpies. Shields up in a wall and spears poking through to shred the Harpies. Instead, they were made to look like a bunch of buffoons.

#110 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 04 May 2015 - 02:42 PM, said:

That final fight was utter horseshit. A bunch of rich ponces in masks that block out most of their FOV vs. dudes trained practically from birth to be brothers and soldiers. If the Unsullied had just stayed in formation, then they would have wrecked the Harpies. Shields up in a wall and spears poking through to shred the Harpies. Instead, they were made to look like a bunch of buffoons.

I'm glad someone else noted that. It was really irritating to watch...especially with Selmy going down and possibly Grey Worm too...to idiots like that. Pitiful. That said, seeing Barristan in action, and the heroic music that played in the scene was cool. Otherwise, meh.

The whole ep was only okay....even the Sand Snakes scene was meh...I think the only stuff I outright enjoyed was Jaime and Bronn in Dorne, that was all gold and I could have watched a whole hour of them traipsing across the countryside and bantering.

EDIT: Oh, and the Stannis and Shereen scene did more for me to like Stannis as a human than GRRM has ever done in the books. Bravo HBO.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 May 2015 - 03:50 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#111 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

I really would have liked to see a better showing from the Unsullied, tho admittedly its been said from the start, they're infantry, not cops, and not urban warfare trained. The Sons got them in alleys and courtyards where they couldn't really hold formation or use long spears to best effect... even the large group Grey Worm was with was only six Unsullied and they were surrounded on both sides... so three in each direction and not enough to keep from being attacked on the sides. Also, keep in mind large numbers of the Sons were pit fighters, not spoiled nobles, ie experienced killers used to fighting in close spaces. Mereen nobles wouldn't do their own killing. Bummer about Selmy, his plotline was about the only thing i truly enjoyed in DANCE.

I completely agree with you QT on the Stannis and Shereen scene.... better than everything GRRM has done with Stannis and a total case of the feels.

The Sparrows purge was a little hard to accept in the sense that they faced no opposition at all.. the Brothel had guards, Loras is a badass, but a bunch of untrained monks march around like the fucking SS and everyone just buckles.

Jaime and Bronn's Excellent Dornish Adventure is shaping up to be pretty awesome.

Ser Meryn is off to the same city where Arya is living with a death cult, chanting his name on her list... oh, that should be fun.

Sansa... if half the stuff they're setting up with her pays off, she could be the sleeper hit plotline of the season.

#112 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 April 2015 - 06:12 PM, said:

Oh, and to those that may have seen all the leaked eps...is it true that...

Spoiler

Nope, and I did not know that, so should have been more careful what I clicked lol.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#113 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

View PostNevyn, on 04 May 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Spoiler

Nope, and I did not know that, so should have been more careful what I clicked lol.

Also, on that same point...

Spoiler

#114 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:05 PM

Y'all, the leaked episodes have all aired now. No need to spoiler anything.

I believe Ned had a flashback in GOT about Lyanna saying that she knew Robert would never be faithful to her.

There it is.

#115 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 May 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

View PostNevyn, on 04 May 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Spoiler

Also, on that same point...

Spoiler

That would make sense since the one thing I DID notice from the leaked episode is the look Littlefinger has on his face when Sansa mentions her aunt being kidnapped and raped.

Plus it doesn't totally jive with other characterizations we've heard of R.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#116 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

So this show is veering so far from the books now I'm no longer sure it could be called an adaptation. It's like an alternate universe ASOIAF. I'll spoiler stuff now (book spoilers, all of them)

Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#117 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

View PostGothos, on 06 May 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

So this show is veering so far from the books now I'm no longer sure it could be called an adaptation. It's like an alternate universe ASOIAF. I'll spoiler stuff now (book spoilers, all of them)

It's not necessary to spoiler book stuff. All of us have read the books, and for the few who might not have, I put warnings on the thread.

Posted Image

I can't quite forgive them for cutting out the kingsmoot in the iron isles. I'm probably one of the few to say so but I really liked that storyline, how they ultimtely sailed for the Reach and how awesome a player Euron could be in the future. This completely plays down the Iron Men in the grand scheme. I don't like it.

I'm not entirely sure they've cut it. They might be saving it for next season along with the Riverlands stuff.

Arya in Braavos - is my memory failing me, or was it specifically NOT Jaquen in the temple? Jaquen should be halfway across the world in Old Town. Sam should be halfway across the world on HIS WAY to Old Town. Why cut out Old Town completely? Grrr.

It was definitely not Jaqen in the temple; they just used him because he is a familiar and popular character, and there was no reason not to use him, really. I suspect that Aemon and Sam will take off this season. It was one of the first things Jon did as Lord Captain in the books; he just got elected in the show. So they still might encounter Arya in Bravoos.

I'm digging the representation of Sons of Harpy, though I'm not sure how accurate the clash involving Barristan is - I don't remember much of book 5, sadly...

Barristan was still alive and preparing for a battle in Mereen at the end of the book.

Come to think of it....... they cut out quite a few locations. Volantis...

Jorah captured Tyrion in Volantis. It's one of the few places they didn't skip, though they changed a lot of the details.

There it is.

#118 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

Well, they sure are spinning us round and round as we try to follow the story as written whilst they have for the most part just decided to basically rewrite the story for tv as they see fit.

I can see how and why they've had to make many of the changes, as the book tended to drag on and on at points, so the quicker, simpler story is easier to portray on tv.

Up.until now I have loved watching them bring the words alive by giving them color and depth, passion and pain. I enjoyed seeing Winterfell through the directors eyes and craftsmanship.

The latest example of seeing them build a scene for.tv that I'd only been able to imagine in the books and then was able to see it with my own eyes was just that simple scene where arya arrives at let at the house of the faceless men, and the giant black and white doors, however simplistic in nature, still invoked a feeling that I can't put my finger on.

I also remember whilst reading as arya traversed the poor side streets of bravos of how I didn't realize until the tv scenes that I always pictured the sky gloomy, overcast, as if always right on the verge of rain. It was something unexpected to see those same streets in the bright of day.

For 4 seasons we've pretty much known what was going to happen. We only wanted to see the story breathed to life, but now I've found that although I'm unhappy with many major changes, I do like not knowing what to expect, and still enjoy watching it the same as before.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#119 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

I like where most of it is going. My big disappointment is that (as far as I can tell) Brienne won't be running into Randyll Tarly, which was one of the best sections of the later books both because of Brienne's history with the younger nobles there and because Randyll very much lives up to his reputation via Sam. Her Brienne the Beauty story was still affecting here (as was her reflection of Renly), but I'd just like to see it play out in the present and not just her past. Oh well.

#120 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

I'm enjoying it.

I'm happy to keep the books as a separate entity, and see where they go with the tv version. I'm certainly not railing at the tv because it's different - in fact, they seem to have cut a lot of the dead-ends out.

Seeing Sansa back in Winterfell, lighting candles was very evocative after waiting so long to get a Stark back there.
(Even if Littlefinger could have taken her directly to Stannis if he's so certain that Winterfell will fall - without risking her life. Unless he's planted her there to take out Bolton from the inside.)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users