• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

I'm tempted to take the Jorah change as a nod to the fact F/Aegon (delete as appropriate) isn't important in the overall endgame. As much as the show needs to make changes (and I agree, so far they seem very sensible) I tens towards assuming they're not going to drop anything integral.

Solid episode for me. The ruins of Valyria looked gorgeous.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#142 User is offline   Kartoolian Spider Squisher 

• Recruit

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:18 PM

@Terez: Daenerys saves Tyrion and Penny from being ripped apart by lions in the fighting pits of Mereen. So they do make it to her, it's just that she no longer happens to be there.
There is a line before me that demarcates where you stop being treated as citizens and start being treated as soldiers. It is a line only I can see and I swear until all of you--once you cross it you have declared War. Against your city, against your government, and against Me. And make no mistake: I Love to fight Wars.

Ares, God of War

#143 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

View PostKartoolian Spider Squisher, on 14 May 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

@Terez: Daenerys saves Tyrion and Penny from being ripped apart by lions in the fighting pits of Mereen. So they do make it to her, it's just that she no longer happens to be there.

Yes, but there are screenshots from the show that have Tyrion sitting by Dany's side as an advisor.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#144 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 13 May 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

Possibly. It could also just be a budget issue as well. Other people haven't made it when they normally would have as well. Lady Stoneheart, Cold Hands. I don't think we will see any of them in show but the show has branched so much farther in S5 then past 4 and has become an Alternate Universe imo.

I'm fairly certain we'll see Lady Stoneheart eventually, but it will be towards the end of the series, and it will be HUGE.

It's too good a twist for the reader/viewers and massive treat for the tv-only crowd for the showrunners not to do it if they at all can and the actress is willing, even for just a couple of episodes.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#145 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Anybody see a Stannis/Brienne confrontation ahead? Maybe just as Winterfell is retaken,and it looks like Stannis might actually be a real contender for the Iron Throne..

(Which, thinking about it, would make her a Kingslayer, something that might be interesting if she ever meets up with Jaime again.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#146 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:58 PM

That's VERY interesting. Maybe she'll have to make a choice between Stannis and Roose (ie between Renly and Cat).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#147 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:39 AM

Word at the end of ADWD was that Stannis was dead by the Boltons. Assuming that word was true, I wouldn't be surprised if the show gives the role to Brienne, since she's obviously on a revenge mission in the show.

There it is.

#148 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:01 AM

I like the notion that Brienne's on a revenge mission, but she would have to ally herself with the Boltons, who killed Cat, to get a shot at Stannid, who killed Renly.Seems unlikely. More likely her focus is truly on helping Sansa to redeem her failing Cat and losing Arya.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#149 User is offline   Melnibonean Wanderer 

• Recruit

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:20 PM

I'd like to see Stannis point out that Brienne's helping Catelyn Stark's killer if she kills him. Then Shireen runs up to Brienne, grabs her around and waist and says "Please don't kill my daddy."

This post has been edited by Melnibonean Wanderer: 15 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

#150 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

How about Brienne KILLS THEM ALL.

There it is.

#151 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostTerez, on 12 May 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 12 May 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 11 May 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 11 May 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

The Night's Watch split, and I think this set Olly up to be the one to do the deed to Jon in the end maybe. If I were a betting man.

That theory surfaced at Theoryland last week. It might have surfaced at Westeros even before then.

Though I see why people would think that Oly will be the one to kill Jon, I still think it'll be the same guy as in the books.

They've made a point of having him pointedly disagree with Jon's decision to try to work with the Wildlings for a reason, don't you think?

Apparently they have cast Bowen Marsh for this season, but he hasn't spoken yet, I don't think. Whether Olly does the deed or not, I'm sure his position as Jon's steward will play into it somehow. Either way, it will probably happen in episode 10.

I just noticed the other day that we don't have any off-weeks this season.

Isn't it Edd that does the deed in the books? I thought it was Edd. And he's the one in the show that was vocal about how the wildlings killed Grenn, etc. wasn't he?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#152 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

View PostBlend, on 15 May 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 12 May 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 12 May 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 11 May 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 11 May 2015 - 10:17 AM, said:

The Night's Watch split, and I think this set Olly up to be the one to do the deed to Jon in the end maybe. If I were a betting man.

That theory surfaced at Theoryland last week. It might have surfaced at Westeros even before then.

Though I see why people would think that Oly will be the one to kill Jon, I still think it'll be the same guy as in the books.

They've made a point of having him pointedly disagree with Jon's decision to try to work with the Wildlings for a reason, don't you think?

Apparently they have cast Bowen Marsh for this season, but he hasn't spoken yet, I don't think. Whether Olly does the deed or not, I'm sure his position as Jon's steward will play into it somehow. Either way, it will probably happen in episode 10.

Isn't it Edd that does the deed in the books? I thought it was Edd. And he's the one in the show that was vocal about how the wildlings killed Grenn, etc. wasn't he?

Nope, it was Bowen Marsh. Grenn and Pyp are still alive in the books.

There it is.

#153 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

View PostTerez, on 15 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Ah, faulty memory then.

Well, Edd is the one who said he'd never stand next to a Wildling in the show, so my guess is he'll do the deed if it's not Olly as you suspect.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#154 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostBlend, on 15 May 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

View PostTerez, on 15 May 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Ah, faulty memory then.

Well, Edd is the one who said he'd never stand next to a Wildling in the show, so my guess is he'll do the deed if it's not Olly as you suspect.

For the record, I don't want it to be Olly. I was just noting that the theory is a thing. I do think it's likely he'll be involved because of his position as Jon's steward, but I'd rather he not be the one to do the deed. He already killed Ygritte to save Jon, but Ygritte was the one who killed his father.

There it is.

#155 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

I don't remember any news about Stannis being dead.. but then I only read DwD once. I remember the Iron Bank heading off to back Stannis, as they couldn't reclaim the debt from the crown; it would seem a bit unlikely that with new allies and funding, Stannis gets killed by the Boltons, especially as they are the ones under seige.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#156 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

Ramsey sent a letter to Jon at the Wall saying that Stannis had been defeated. I'm not sure what good the funding could have done for that particular battle, but in the book they were dying of starvation. They had gotten some assistance from some mountain clan if I recall, but they were down to eating horses by the end. I don't recall much of the details beyond that. I need a reread.

There it is.

#157 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

I guess I do too. I thought the money would enable Stannis to pay for more soldiers - but I'm vague on the timeline concerning the snow storm, Theon's escape, Asha showing up, and where it all ended.

#158 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

I just did some digging around. Apparently Theon I from TWOW occurs before Ramsay wrote his letter (according to GRRM, it happens during the ADWD timeline), but it's the last stop in the Stannis timeline. The envoy from the Bank has just reached Stannis at that point. The battle hasn't happened yet, so all we have on the outcome is Ramsay's word. Also, Ramsay does say Stannis is dead in the letter.

This post has been edited by Terez: 15 May 2015 - 08:44 PM

There it is.

#159 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the links Terez.

Yes, I'd forgotten that letter. It could still be a ploy to draw out Jon I guess. Also, in the tv version, Melisandre has left for Winterfell. I was pretty certain that, in the book at least, she will have saved Jon from his stabbing somehow - the blade that stabs him comes out smoking? But if she's out of the picture, I'm not so sure anymore.

#160 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, I believe we discussed Melisandre earlier in the thread. It's possible she'll return somehow; she definitely seems set up to save Jon somehow, though I don't think there was any real hint of that in the books. (In the show, they've sent her to meet Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr, which seems a big hint.) If there was a smoking blade (which I don't recall, but I don't really doubt you) then who's to say it doesn't have something to do with his Targaryen blood? In ADWD we get our first Melisandre POV and she's starting to see Jon in her fires a lot. Perhaps she will see something on the show that causes her to return to Jon.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users