Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 5 - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First

Game of Thrones Season 5 BOOK SPOILERS THROUGH ADWD Rate Topic: -----

#441 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

Stannis's was the only death that really didn't need to be shown - so they didn't. It was totally inevitable; no way out, anyone watching Brienne knows her resolve.

I don't know why there's any question about it really.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#442 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

Because in the books it is left massively ambiguous what happened and Stannis' and his army's fate has been one of the main discussion topics for the past 3-4 years (pink letter discussion). Seems a bit blunt to have the TV series put so final a point to it. If you are going to make such a big statement, then at least make it final and unambiguous to both viewers and readers. Show a rolling head or even some blood spatters, no need for CGI.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#443 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostNevyn, on 17 June 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Furthermore, his story is wrapped up nicely. He let Melisandre talk him into more and more things he knew to be wrong, giving up more and more of his nobility, ending in him sacrificing his daughter, having his wife commit suicide, and Melisandre and his army abandon him. Having him lose that last battle, come face to face with a past sin of his and accept his fate is a fitting a poetic end. To have him live would lessen the impact of all that came before, and require a feeble explanation.

I'd agree but they did this with Theon. I remember assuming he was dead at the end of ACoK, but GRRM had more in store for him.

#444 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostGorefest, on 17 June 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

Because in the books it is left massively ambiguous what happened and Stannis' and his army's fate has been one of the main discussion topics for the past 3-4 years (pink letter discussion). Seems a bit blunt to have the TV series put so final a point to it. If you are going to make such a big statement, then at least make it final and unambiguous to both viewers and readers. Show a rolling head or even some blood spatters, no need for CGI.

Well, the tv show cut short the Stannis storyline whether he lives or dies, and had his army defeated whether he lives or dies. There was also not Mance in Winterfell so it seems pretty clear there will be no pink letter in the show.

I get the resistance as it is likely one of the first factoids that the show has truly spoiled for the books (that Stannis' army indeed loses). But that is the only reason it feels like a "big statement"

As for making it unambiguous, it WAS unambiguous. His army is slaughtered to a man. They gave zero hint that he might live or even that he particularly wanted to. They just didn't show you a close up of the killing stroke.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#445 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

He doesn't necessarily lose in the books, but he most certainly will die soon enough either way. Is Lady Stoneheart heading North or South? I think she makes a B-line for the Freys, mows through what's left of them, and then heads to Winterfell. Maybe even picks up Howland Reed et al along the way. I guess it might be more apt if Winterfell has the Boltons inside still, but she's gonna snack on whoever's there and shouldn't be.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#446 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

I agree. Im not convinced this is a case of the Show spoiling the books. We are starting to see some serious divergence. Will Stannis Win? I'm guessing no. Will he die? I'm Guessing yes. Still in the books there is no Sansa in the north, no Brienne. There is however a very upset Lord Manderly (Whose whole plot line has been disappeared), there is a Mance Rider, there is a fresh wildling army, there is a reborn theon and his Sister Asha (Whose whole plot line has been disappeared).

For those of you who are familiar with the fullmetal alchemist Anime I feel what we are seeing is going to be similar. The TV show has outrun the original material is based on and Divergence will escalate until at last the next few seasons might hold hints to the original work but will ened up being its own animal.

#447 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostCause, on 18 June 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

For those of you who are familiar with the fullmetal alchemist Anime I feel what we are seeing is going to be similar. The TV show has outrun the original material is based on and Divergence will escalate until at last the next few seasons might hold hints to the original work but will ened up being its own animal.

Oh, I do subscribe to that. That in itself doesn't exclude a Stannis survival, though Posted Image

I still like the idea of having 'fire' win out in the TV series, and 'ice' in the books. If it happens, I expect major rep!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#448 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

Word from finale director Nutter's mouth. Stannis IS dead.

Stannis is dead. “It would have been gratuitous,” Nutter told Variety about his reasons for cutting away before Brienne’s sword separated Stannis’s head from his body. “You really got a sense that Stannis had nothing else to live for. Brienne’s lifelong mission had come to an end. It’s a situation in which Stannis was ready to die and prepared to die.”

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#449 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

Well, that's what they claim about Jon Snow as well :)

#450 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:09 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 June 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Well, that's what they claim about Jon Snow as well :)

Well, he isn't really lying about either. Both characters are dead.

Its just that presumably one of them is going to be brought back from the dead. And we could always be wrong about that anyway.

But anyway, lying about Snow makes sense. They probably want to protect the integrity of the WOW moment of bringing him back. Stannis is both less important to the show, and having Brienne stopped offscreen would be less a wow, and more a "well, that's stupid".

Then again, it is tough to take a GoT director seriously when he says he did not do something to not be gratuitous.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#451 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

My thinking is that Jon is the primary character in the White Walker story arch. Which makes his permanent death a bit of a stretch. If not him to head that story line, then who? Ser Alliser? Not likely, though possible I suppose. Samwell has gone off to Old Town and I really doubt that there's too many people who'd be interested in the show turning into a college kid show. Benjen coming back? What, we've seen him only a few episodes and I doubt most people even remember who he is.
Jon's remaining "friends" in the Watch? None of them are really that interesting. The only remaining Night's Watchman of any interest is Ser Alliser. I kinda like him, despite him being the antagonist of Jon's execution. But as I said, I doubt he'd primary that story.

No, Jon Snow is going to come back, I'm pretty certain of it.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#452 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:24 PM

Jon Snow is certainly coming back, but that doesn't mean Kit Harrington will play him. #SnowdorIsReal

#453 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:37 AM

Here's something: http://io9.com/how-t...ones-1712355749

#454 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

http://www.cracked.c...er-fans_p2.html

"Because peer review can get ridiculous, another scientist suggested that no fewer than three major stars can account for the planet's orbital weirdness, or that it might actually be an exomoon orbiting a gas giant. We're sure we'll get a definitive answer when A Dream of Spring is released in 2047 by the son of Brandon Sanderson."

#455 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 23 June 2015 - 03:48 PM, said:

"by the son of Brandon Sanderson."

Sandor Branderson

#456 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

http://www.cracked.c...er-fans_p2.html

"Because peer review can get ridiculous, another scientist suggested that no fewer than three major stars can account for the planet's orbital weirdness, or that it might actually be an exomoon orbiting a gas giant. We're sure we'll get a definitive answer when A Dream of Spring is released in 2047 by the son of Brandon Sanderson."

Im pretty sure its been confirmed to magical in nature.

Still I want to know how they survive. Even a year long winter, with lets say 6 months of darkness only. What will the deer eat? What Will the Direwolves eat? I understand that humans can stockpile food but the ecosystem should be dying.

#457 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 June 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

"by the son of Brandon Sanderson."

Sandor Branderson

"YES! YES! YES!"

#458 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Interesting casting call for next season. Reading this, my guess would be its Arthur Dayne - thoughts?

“A man in his thirties or forties who is a great swordsman and a paragon of knighthood. He carries a hugely famous sword on his back. The show is seeking a very impressive swordsman for the role—the best in Europe, for a week of filming fight scenes for a season 6 role. His ethnicity/race isn’t specified, unlike many other roles.”
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#459 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

Clearly Rake.

#460 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:36 PM

View PostGorefest, on 25 June 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Clearly Rake.

I did think that originally before double-taking which series I was in Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users