Malazan Empire: World Cup 2014! - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2014! Best Sporting Tournament in the World!

#241 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

View PostDolmen Weeks, on 26 June 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Gyan and Ayew are amazing forwards, Dauda is an exceptional goalie. Something just goes wrong in the space between defence and Midfield.

That's where the other Ayew was supposed to step in for KPB - to link the attack, but he didn't have a good game and wasn't a starter this time out. Muntari was already going to miss this game due to yellow cards.

View PostKhellendros, on 26 June 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Algeria remind me of Arsenal...

They are mostly French trained...
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#242 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

That goal was coming from Algeria. But I do feel a bit sorry for Akinfeev, you could see someone in the crowd was shining a light into his eyes as the free kick came in.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#243 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Four months fair enough

regarding all the he should ne in prison claims.
did cantona go to jail when he fly kicked a fan?
did zidane go to jail for head butting somebody?
did Pepe the contemptable little fuck go to jail for kicking a man on the ground then punching another?
did roy Keane go to jail for DELIBERATELY trying to break another players leg?

no. So lets get this in perspective please.

however, if FIFA can ban from domestic leagues, then domestic leagues should be able to ban from international.

Also, LFC will lose a bunchload of EPL tickets, are you for real? The waiting list for season tickets is closed, because it stands at 9 years, that WITH the new stadium plans accounted for. Regardless of the love or hate of Suarez, no player is bigger than the club, and unless we start hiring paedophiles and rapists who pulls on the jersey wont diminish support one jot.

#244 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Lol at Kerzhakov's stats when he came off. In 80 minutes, he completed 3 passes, or 23% of all attempted.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 26 June 2014 - 09:42 PM

#245 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 26 June 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

Lol at Kerzhakov's stats when he came off. In 80 minutes, he completed 3 passes, or 23% of all attempted.

yeah, saw that, it was great, :p

I've honestly spent the last 20 min siiiting in front of a big screen TV at work, singing one very simple song... it seems to have worked. I can say I've accomplished something today.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#246 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Macros - no, but they should have and my point remains. Also I kind of expect the Liverpool fans to stand behind him. Who cares about cheating if he wins you the game right?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#247 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

The two Liverpool fans I am good friends with readily say that Suarez is scum. They're talking more of a mix of the biting, fouling, diving and the racism rather than just the biting.

#248 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

Well interestingly enough there's speculation both madrid and Barca have placed a bid in for Suarez:

What does latest Suarez storm mean for Liverpool amid Barcelona & Madrid transfer talk

Lots of talk including suggestions he may be traded for the likes of Alex Sanchez a player that may shine just as well in the EPL... so perhaps the footballing world really doesn't care much about character anymore. Evidently its the bottomline that matters. Even if Suarez wasn't causing a commotion it'd be a tempting offer.

Not too clear if the offer still stands post ban.

I actually stand corrected, EPL Tickets won't be as effected as I'd expect. You're absolutely right Macros. Too strong a tradition of support to be dented by one player. I Still think Liverpool should consider the trade, Suarez delivers the right stats but its only a matter of time before he goes too far. Thoughts?

This post has been edited by Dolmen Weeks: 27 June 2014 - 04:10 AM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#249 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:43 AM

He's a brilliant soccer player and he'd fit in tactically and physically at pretty much any club in the world.

The problem is that there's no real impetus for a Donald Sterling-style ouster. There's not really a strong set of precedent in soccer for getting harsh on racists and cheaters that aren't clear Nazis/Fascists or ultras being suuuuper racist or violent. Fans in blackface are tolerated, the bananas keep getting thrown, the monkey chants continue, the lasers in the eye scum-bubbles aren't really tracked down and so on.

It takes honest courage for people like Balotelli, Evra and Kevin Prince-Boateng to stand up to fans and media people to talk about racism. It hurts their endorsement value and many people hearing them won't understand what they are saying (due to not understanding societal/sports racism much). I'm glad most of the stadium fans applauded KPB for walking off after the monkey chants, but this stuff keeps happening now, today, not 30 or 50 years ago. It's worse in the lower leagues, where the cameras aren't, and it's happening everywhere - not just Italy or England.

It happens in the US too. And there are millions who refuse to accept it's happening. People who don't believe in this crap need to quietly confront individual people who say and do this crap. I'm starting to do it more and stumbling many times in that, but it's a worthwhile pursuit. Soccer/football should be freer than it is. To free it more from corruption and racism is possible, but it starts with telling anyone who is actually a Suarez fan that he's a racist scum-bubble who cheats and bites people.

http://espn.go.com/e...game-turns-ugly

#250 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:58 AM

So some woman in America is now blaming football for the countries moral decay...
http://www.anncoulter.com
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#251 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

Oh sell him for sure, he's to volatile and is a liability. Any further transgressions and it will be a year ban, how many games has he missed for us already? Loyalty only stretches so far. My problem is Fifa and the FAs double standards, if racism is an 8 match ban (Imo at least) how come Englands philandering posterboy Terry only got 4?

Suarez to leave is good for us, yes he is a phenom on the pitch but we can win without him now, and players are replaceable, Sanchez plus money? Most certainly would take it, fire the money at a world class right back to replace that donkey Johnson and a back up striker

#252 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostMacros, on 26 June 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

however, if FIFA can ban from domestic leagues, then domestic leagues should be able to ban from international.

Why? FIFA is the overarching body in international footbal. It makes sense that they can regulate the national leagues, whereas it hardly makes sense that national leagues can regulate FIFA.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#253 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostMacros, on 27 June 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

Oh sell him for sure, he's to volatile and is a liability. Any further transgressions and it will be a year ban, how many games has he missed for us already? Loyalty only stretches so far. My problem is Fifa and the FAs double standards, if racism is an 8 match ban (Imo at least) how come Englands philandering posterboy Terry only got 4?

Totally agree with that. Terry is an utter disgrace. Seems like a lot of the time the FA/FIFA/whoever just make it up on the spot like "erm 4 games? Sure why not... shut up and give me money."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#254 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

I was under the impression that nowdays FIFA is in a middle eastern pocket, what with setting the 2022 (2026?) Mundial in Qatar or Bahrain or something...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#255 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostGothos, on 27 June 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

I was under the impression that nowdays FIFA is in a middle eastern pocket, what with setting the 2022 (2026?) Mundial in Qatar or Bahrain or something...

Implying that FIFA and the Olympics aren't up for sale to the highest bidder for city selection, and haven't been for years?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#256 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

View PostObdigore, on 27 June 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Implying that FIFA and the Olympics aren't up for sale to the highest bidder for city selection, and haven't been for years?

Just implying it's starting to get so ridiculous it endangers the entire event. What next, equal opportunity olympics in Palau?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#257 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostGothos, on 27 June 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 27 June 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Just implying it's starting to get so ridiculous it endangers the entire event. What next, equal opportunity olympics in Palau?

Requirements for women to wear Burqa's while competing in the Olympics? So long as the people who choose where the Olympics are held get enough money, they don't care.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#258 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 26 June 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Hmm let's take this off the field. He assaulted someone quite badly (possibly a section 47 assault in this country but I always get confused about the different versions of assault we have here so not 100% on that). The point is this: he freaking assaulted someone and if he did that off field with that much evidence (unlikely I know but bear with me) he would probably be looking at jail time especially with his previous (same M.O. even) then he wouldn't be able to play for anyone anyway!

So yeah because he did it on a field he only gets a ban from the game (and half the ban he's not playing for his club anyway). I think he is lucky and actually he has kind of got a pretty light sentence.

The ban either does not start straight away and it affects Liverpool selling him.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#259 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 26 June 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 June 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

His previous punishment for a separate biting assault was less severe, therefore this one should be just as obviously ineffective a deterrent?

It's the way punishment works in most countries. The punishments get more severe regardless of how good a deterrent they are. By rights he should be in prison.

We'd it I'm not saying it's right or good just that is how it is.

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 June 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

Oh I was responding to Tattersail with that one. Ideally everyone could have Suarez's lawyers.

Just a quick point.

Do you think of this as a punishment for Suarez?

It is not. He gets a 4 month paid holiday.

When all is said and done, he gets to relax for 4 months away from football, letting his knee heal as he has recently had an operation on it. So is there a punishment to the player? No.

If they say, banned him from playing for his country for 2 years AND made him wear a muzzle, that would be an appropriate punishment. Imagine, having to wear a muzzle when you play football, how embarrassing would that be? I think that would be more of a punishment to the player.

Did Bendtner not get more of a fine for wearing paddy power underwear than Suarez for biting an opponent?

No player has been banned for his club when playing for his country, and I don't think it is Suarez who is punished, or that suffers. Like I said, 4 month paid holiday.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#260 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would have suggested mandatory sessions with a psychiatrist to help him find a way of keeping his emotions in check (there was an interview with his grandmother - aside from defending him there was an interesting bit where she mentioned that he's always been unable to control his outbursts). And because psychiatry can only work if the person undergoing therapy is willing to give it a chance, state that he's not allowed to return to football until the psychiatrist believes they've made significant progress.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users