Malazan Empire: World Cup 2014! - Malazan Empire

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Cup 2014! Best Sporting Tournament in the World!

#361 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

First up, much as I dislike his antics on the field, I'm sorry to see Neymar get injured like that. It was such an unnecessary challenge, clearly borne out of the poor discipline allowed throughout the game. Could have all be sorted by a stern ref issuing a couple of warnings in the first 10 mins, and then a few cards after that.

It was a definite foul, and should have been a yellow at least for Zuniga as he knew he couldn't reach the ball, and yet took the man anyway. But i must admit, I had the same feeling as Khellendros above, where i thought he was milking it as first, since even the slightest contact on Neymar usually results in the same screaming and writhing on the ground. When a similar injury happened to me on a soccer field I went absolutely still, and was in such shock I could barely breath, let alone scream and roll around. hence my lack of sympathy for "men" throwing themselves on the floor and screaming looking for free kicks. But I'll give Neymar a pass in this instance, since a broken vertebrae could be pretty painful., but won't thankfully threaten his career.

As for today's games, I know it won't happen, but I'm hoping for Costa Rica and Belgium to go through, which of course means we'll see a Netherlands-Argentina semi instead. The way it's been going so far, we've had the nicer team football being played by the smaller teams, but in the end the big powers win out.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#362 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Wilmots' last throw of the dice is to take off Hazard for Chadli. ;)
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#363 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 05 July 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

To be fair, Hazard mostly did nothing. Too bad Chadli couldn't do better. DeBruyne, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld and Kompany were the best Belgians imho and it's telling they're all but one defenders, and that in a game in which Argentina shot on goal twice.

Fucking Argentina.... Time wasting and playing walk around, lie about football for 82 minutes regular time and 7 minutes extra.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#364 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Belgium should have just begun the match with those long balls pumped into the box. In fact, during all their matches that always seemed to be their most effective play. Which is ridiculous considering the talented pool of players they have. I don't know if the manager is to blame or what, but that Belgium team never reached its full potential during this WC. Not even close.

Edit: With the small caveat that Kompany played very well today.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 05 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

#365 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

True.I watch all matches on the Belgian TV and the analysts there are as baffled as you and I. So many quality flank players.... And all they do is long balls. They were super good against USA though. Meh.

#366 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostTapper, on 05 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostKhellendros, on 05 July 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

To be fair, Hazard mostly did nothing. Too bad Chadli couldn't do better. DeBruyne, Vertonghen, Aldeweireld and Kompany were the best Belgians imho and it's telling they're all but one defenders, and that in a game in which Argentina shot on goal twice.

Fucking Argentina.... Time wasting and playing walk around, lie about football for 82 minutes regular time and 7 minutes extra.

Yeah, but...Chadli! I'd have thrown Januzaj on if a dynamic player was needed.

#367 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

But Januzai is a lightweight eith a questionable work ethic. Witsel off, Dembele on to make the play was way more logical. And wtf with waiting until the 60th minute to bring Lukaku...

#368 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Tapper, I've got Costa Rica in the sweepstake, so I hope you don't mind me hoping Holland lose next ;)

#369 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I do. A tiny bit. Just an itty bit. Also because I don't want Argentina in the final and I don't think Costa Rico can do that.

#370 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostTapper, on 05 July 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

But Januzai is a lightweight eith a questionable work ethic. Witsel off, Dembele on to make the play was way more logical. And wtf with waiting until the 60th minute to bring Lukaku...

Well by that point they didn't need players who'd track back and defend but someone who was willing to attack head on. I do think Chadli gets quite a bit of unfair stick in England, but he added nothing when he came on - as anonymous as Hazard was.

Edit: As for Lukaku - that's the manager doing the classic 'wait for the 60th minute to make a change.' Poor.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 05 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

#371 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Lukaku was already warmin up during the entire break. If you wait, keep him inthe dressing room for tactical instructions, right?

With Dembele, I meant more to finally quit the long ball and give passing oulets.

But as Kompany says now; they're the youngest team around. They'll be great ina few years.

#372 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Belgium were quite disappointing in that game. A real lack of composure when it came to their attacking play.

The worst offender from their starters was Hazard, who looked devoid of ideas, and deserved to be subbed. Origi was pretty bad too, in that he made poor runs, and failed to hold the ball up at all.

But Mertens was the most annoying for me, when he came on. Brought on to provide a creative outlet, he gave away silly frees, gave teammates hospital passes and was terrible in his delivery from set-pieces. I'd have been tempted to re-substitute him when he decided to go for goal from the free kick, when they had sent up several defenders to be targets, and potentially left his team open to a counter attack. He was really rubbish in his attitude as well, and made you think what if Januzaj had been on instead on that wing.

the analysts on Irish TV made the comment about maybe Dembele instead of Chadhli as well, to replace Hazard.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#373 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostTapper, on 05 July 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

But Januzai is a lightweight eith a questionable work ethic.

There's nothing wrong with his work ethic, and there's nothing wrong with his ability to take a lump even though he's relatively small. The only question mark against him is that he's so inexperienced, but that didn't hurt Origi.

Origi's been a bit miss-served in that (and Wilmots even said this after the last game so quite why he did it again is anyone's guess) he's not really a proper front-man, and he'd be far more useful partnered with Lukaku than playing a whole game instead of him (it's a different story with the fresh legs of a sub). He has the abilities of a number 9, but all his movement is that of a support striker. Quite an unusual player.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#374 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Heh, the commentator just mentioned that Holland are the lowest-ranked team (15th) that Costa Rica have so far faced!

#375 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Which just shows how awful FIFA rankings are. ESPN's SPI are marginally better.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#376 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

Has Lens been NOT offside on a single play?

#377 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

I think Costa Rica have put a hex on RVP. I haven't seen him miss those types of chances in about five years.

Krul on. Wow. I half-suspect that's LVG wanting to write a story for himself.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 05 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

#378 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

That's some karma right there. Costa Rica beat Greece in penalties, and now they lose in penalties. Well done Tim Krul.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#379 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

Vaya con dios Los Ticos.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#380 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Gutted really but I would quite like to see Van Gaal take the Dutch on to win now, it gives me a bit of hope for the upcoming PL season.

Brazil: missing something now Neymar is out? Wouldn't mind if they won purely as I would get some money for it.

Argentina: terrible performances so far, saved over and over by Messi, I really don't want them to win.

Germany: feels kind of wrong to say it as an Englishman but I love watching Germany and wouldn't mind if they won either.

So basically I have not made my mind up yet except that I don't want Argentina to win. Having a European Team win a South American tournament would be nice!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

42 User(s) are reading this topic