Malazan Empire: 2015 UK & Europe Trip - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 UK & Europe Trip In which Shiara & Luci fly a very long way...

#41 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 04 June 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 04 June 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 04 June 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Come up North! :p We can meet up with Brood and some other guys too!

How far up North? I would be interested in a Malazan meet up!!

There are a groupd of us who live in the Manchester area (or close enough for an easy train journey across) I meet up with Brood and Stone Monkey from time to time (and Dag when she is visiting) Cougar lives fairly close as does Grumble. We used to do a Malaz Manc Meet up every year but I think a few people have moved away. It would be an ideal stopping point on the way up to Scotland... :p

We were planning to restore the Christmas Meet-up to Manchester this year after a couple of years in London, but maybe we could move Christmas to spring? Only downside for Hetan would be no Christmas fair (and a consequent sausage absence)

#42 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostFid, on 23 June 2014 - 05:57 AM, said:

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 04 June 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 04 June 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

View PostTisteon Simeonus, on 04 June 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Come up North! :p We can meet up with Brood and some other guys too!

How far up North? I would be interested in a Malazan meet up!!

There are a groupd of us who live in the Manchester area (or close enough for an easy train journey across) I meet up with Brood and Stone Monkey from time to time (and Dag when she is visiting) Cougar lives fairly close as does Grumble. We used to do a Malaz Manc Meet up every year but I think a few people have moved away. It would be an ideal stopping point on the way up to Scotland... :p

We were planning to restore the Christmas Meet-up to Manchester this year after a couple of years in London, but maybe we could move Christmas to spring? Only downside for Hetan would be no Christmas fair (and a consequent sausage absence)

Yeah them sausages are good...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#43 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

I cannot stress how much better London is than the rest of the UK, and if you need any tour guiding or pub/eating recommendations I will volunteer myself forcefully. FORCEFULLY.

That said, people always underplay Belfast, which is an amazing town with great restaurants, history, drinking spots and the friendliest (if also maddest) people you're likely to meet.

The lake district is great as long as you steer clear of Windermere, which is horrifically jammed with tourists. I went up there for the first time a few weeks ago and was shocked that scenery like that actually existed in England.

York is also lovely, as of course are Cambridge and Oxford. Do not under any circumstances bother with anything in the east Midlands, it's just pointless on many levels I'm afraid.

In Spain, Granada (for the old Arab quarter and the Alhambra palace) and Madrid are both musts. Rome you can do in a weekend, it's all easily walkable; if you're doing venice then you're right by Slovenia and the wonderful lake bled, which is worth popping to. Berlin is immense too, btw.

This concludes my hungover recollections of European places for now.

#44 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on 04 July 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

That said, people always underplay Belfast, which is an amazing town with great restaurants, history, drinking spots and the friendliest (if also maddest) people you're likely to meet.

Just don't go there during Marching Season. ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#45 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Toby! I knew if someone started a thread about going to places in England you would pipe up with a plug for London sooner or later! How the devil are you, you cheeky urchin scamp?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#46 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I am very well thank you sim! Pretty much fully recovered, brain lesion free so can't complain! I'm also changing jobs, which means I will no longer be doing 60-70hr weeks as standard and will thus have more time to come here and persuade you all to come to London more often to get pissed in the only city in the UK (less than 5m period and it isn't really a city, let's be honest). Someone needs to be on here to counteract the advice of you heathen northern bastards!

#47 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

That should say people, not period. 5million periods sounds like a horrendously messy affair

#48 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

Okay so, we have a draft schedule up on Google Drive (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing)! This is still a draft, so any recommendations would be most gratefully received :(

This post has been edited by Shiara: 15 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

*casting the shaved knuckle*

#49 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

Dang it I'm away on holiday that very week you're in the UK. :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#50 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

I should absolutely be free to meet after noon that day, boo yah.

E: the Plymouth day

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 15 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 15 January 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

I should absolutely be free to meet after noon that day, boo yah.

E: the Plymouth day

Don't let that alter your plans though Shiara... :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

Argh, I'll be on rotation that week with zero chance of getting off work.
Barring a lottery win which enables me to chuck my job I wont be able to meet you on your European odyssey

#53 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

That's a lot of driving! Cambridge to Plymouth to Manchester to Edinburgh in 3 days, i'd probably do that over 4 if I was you as you are looking at spending more than 5 hours a day in the car (maybe for you australians though thats an easy drive).

Cambridge to Plymouth on the bank holiday Monday shouldn't be too bad traffic wise, as most of the traffic will be going the other way too London, anyone down south got any experience of what the M4 would be like?

Plymouth to Manchester you would have to be careful of the traffic, there's a lot of roadworks on the M5 at the moment, but hopefully they'd be done by the time you drove that way. Certainly don't plan to be on the road anytime between 5 and 7 as you'll be adding an hour or more to your journey.

Manchester to Edinburgh again shouldn't be too bad if you don't plan on being on the road between 5 and 7.

You are visiting some of the best cities in Europe though so I'm sure you'll have a great time.

#54 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

Don't forget, they're from Australia. A 6 hour drive is just popping over your mates for a brew for those guys...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#55 User is offline   Studious Lock 

• Whore of the State
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Playing sexy, sexy mandolin.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:47 AM

You're spending 3 days in london. This is all that matters to me. Posted Image
Hi, I'm Tom, and I put the Man in Mandolin.

#56 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

View PostShiara, on 15 January 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

Okay so, we have a draft schedule up on Google Drive (https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing)! This is still a draft, so any recommendations would be most gratefully received :(

Five days in Vienna is too much. It's a beautiful city but you can see it in one and see the living fuck out of it in two. Sure, spend another entire day at the Biergarten because Biergarten, but then go somewhere else.
Zurich, similar... Two days max. Expensive, boring. Check out Chamonix or Interlacken.
And a week in Rome is a horrible horrible idea when you have the rest of Italy to see. Florence, The Cinque Terras, Sienna, Orvietto, Civita n Bagnorregio and a few thousand other awesome places are mere hours or less away. Rome is two days, one for the cityy, one for the Vatican, and gtfo.
In Milan, pay the fee to go hang out on the roof of the Duomo. It's like visiting an alien city.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#57 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:34 AM

The thought of Abyss roaming Europe at will is somewhat disconcerting...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#58 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Admit it, you love the idea.
It's like swimming in the ocean and knowing sharks are out there somewhere. Or yetis. Or herpes.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#59 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 January 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

Admit it, you love the idea.
It's like swimming in the ocean and knowing sharks are out there somewhere. Or yetis. Or herpes.

Or yetis with shark herpes. :(
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#60 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

Hu - I've just seen your itinerary.
If you guys were coming to see us in Cambridge I should let you know that we're not going to be here, which is such a shame as I would love to see you both.
We're in Canada from 1st to 18th April.
Looking at your itinerary though, you might want to rethink visiting Cambridge and go to Oxford instead - which is more or less on your way (or could easily be on your way) from London to the West Country. From Stonehenge to Plymouth doesn't look a long way, but some of those West Country roads can be a real pain in the arse over holiday periods, so having an extra day might prove useful if you are no longer coming to Cambridge :(

I hope you have a great trip and again, I'm sorry we won't get the chance to meet.

This post has been edited by Hetan: 17 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users