• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darujhistan in Minecraft Pictures & Progress

#81 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:37 AM

One day you'll be able to Whisperz... I hope. I'm starting to think one day I may actually finish this project. But still quite a long way to go.

I've been thinking a lot of things I could have done better at the start of the project. For one I would have liked more height differences between the different districts (as it is, it's only around 5 blocks). Another, I feel a bit like I'm white-washing / westernizing the city. Lots of western "medieval" buildings with gabled roofs rather than middle-eastern architecture with domes and spires and flat tops. But it's tough to do the latter since there's less reference material out there, and doesn't lend itself to blocks as well. I'm also taking a bit of liberty in the spacing (everything's supposed to be so cramped you can barely see the light - but then how do carriages and carts get around?) and descriptions of certain buildings.

Anyway, I spent a good chunk of time filling up Lakefront district with various buildings. I've fleshed out the Arms Quarter, added a few tenement houses where Circle Breaker lives, and updated a part of the second tier wall to look a bit in-style with the surroundings. Eventually I'll probably have to redo both the city walls and the second tier wall. I'm not super happy with my first version of them, but first I'd like to worry about filling up space. On that note I added a couple of bridges connecting Lakefront to the Gadrobi District, I like the feel of them. I'm about 4-5 building away from packing Lakefront chock-full, but I think I'm going to move on to the Daru District for a bit.

Posted Image

Spoiler

To that end, I'm starting out with the Circle of Faiths. I finished the Temple of Chains (Small - like a sepulcher), Temple of Burn (brown, run-down, and ramped, flooded entrance) and the Temple of Shadow (octagonal, lots of niches, shrouded in darkness, bronze doors - also added Hound statues because why not). While the latter two aren't explicitly stated to be in the circle of faiths, I'm sticking them here since it makes sense.

Spoiler

I stumbled across this rendering program called Chunky. It takes about 16hours to render a photo so I've only tried it once, but I imagine it will be useful getting around Minecraft's render distance once the city is complete. Here's my first test shot (it's pretty big). Aspect ratio is a bit weird.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 12 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

#82 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

It's been a while since I posted here. A whole year! It hasn't been my most productive year, I've been busy with my MSc, but I've got a few updates to share, if only just to say I'm still working on this.

Posted Image

I've been focusing on Majesty Hill for the last little while. I've expanded the Hall to include several outbuildings, and added some details and towers to make it more majestic. I've also worked on the steps to the main entrance which are described as winding back and forth and flanked by little monuments to various families. Likewise I've make an artificial park around the hill which is only described as park-like and with paths & acacia trees.
Spoiler

As I mentioned in my last post, I haven't been super happy with the city wall lately, so I've been working on a new design. Here's my latest one that I'm relatively happy with. This bit is intact, but the walls are described as unfinished in some places and dismantled in others, so it will look a bit more dilapidated than this in the end.
Spoiler

Buildings-wise I started working on the Spice Seller's Square which is located right next to the gate to Raven Town (the small shanty town south of the city). To that end I also redesigned the Raven Town Gate itself.
Spoiler

And finally I redid the terrain around the city to make it more in-keeping with the Gadrobi Hills. There are more barrow-like mounds, smaller & less abundant & better looking trees, and a bit more variation in general to the terrain.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 11 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

#83 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Time for my annual August 11th update! I've made good progress on the Daru District this year, I'll soon be able to move across the river to the Gadrobi District, which should go a bit faster because the houses are smaller and less complex. And then I get to work on some more iconic buildings like the Duelling/Fencing School, Torvald's House, The Trench (the slummiest part of the city, where Harllo grows up), Aman's Shop, the Blue Ball Tavern, Humble Measure's Warehouse, all sorts of stuff! So here are a couple of overview shots, no shaders this time, I can't get them working:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Anyway, here are some more pictures
Spoiler

See you next year! Still lots to do. To give you idea here's what my desktop currently looks like - organizing over 9,800 photos for reference. And here's also a slightly outdated GIF of my progress. MCEdit is broken on the current version of Minecraft, so getting overview shots like this is tougher now.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 27 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

#84 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Bloody awesome, as always. I'd loved to have a stroll through the finished product.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#85 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:12 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 August 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Bloody awesome, as always. I'd loved to have a stroll through the finished product.

Thanks, I'll definitely be putting up a download when I'm done! Probably when I'm done the exteriors of all the buildings. I figure doing the interiors of all the buildings will take me the rest of my life, but I'm willing to accept that challenge.

#86 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

Looks fantastic. And thanks, I have installed minecraft again Posted Image

#87 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:20 AM

Haven't posted here in a loooooong time! Not a whole lot of progress on this project in the past couple years, but I figured I'd revive the thread with something a little special: Moon's Spawn!

Posted Image
Spoiler

Really happy with how it turned out! Very different from my usual builds, and required my first huge hand-made tree, so that was fun. I've got a new computer now that can actually run Minecraft nicely, so I'm hoping to work on this a bit more.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 13 December 2021 - 04:55 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users