• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darujhistan in Minecraft Pictures & Progress

#61 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 22 July 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

I can already picture the marines reclining in the bar below!

A bar resplendent with wine and pastries for friend Kruppe one hopes!

Posted Image

#62 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:38 AM

Looks Great :D

#63 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

Things are moving along! Everything's still pretty rough because I'm just trying to fill up space and plan things out before I put the final details on, but I've added about 10 buildings since the last post. Here's an overview. It's a bit tough to get pictures of individual builds now because things are packed closer together and the height is all over the place.
Spoiler

I've finished K'rul's Hill, with K'rul's Belfry, the D'arle Estate, and I've decided to put Gareb's estate there too! (The moneylender that Torvald steals his money back from). I also built another couple random estate's that aren't yet associated with anyone in particular.
Spoiler

I've also finished the shape of Lady Varada / Vorcan's Estate, and added a civic building across the street that's mentioned briefly.
Spoiler

Then I built a few random buildings near Despot's Barbican to try to add some height depth to the district
Spoiler

And I redesigned Worry Gate to fit the surrounding building style
Spoiler

And finally I decided on a design for High Gallows Hill, but I'm still not sure how to blend it into the surroundings, nor where I'm going to end up putting Baruk's Estate. But I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.
Spoiler

#64 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

Updates to this are one of my favourite things!!!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#65 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostBlend, on 26 August 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

Seconded!

#66 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 26 August 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Seconded!

Thanks guys, that means a lot! The idea of fellow Malazan-fans one day exploring the finished city is what keeps me going.

I've added a few new buildings, including a re-work of Baruk's estate. The roof now matches, and there are a few more towers to be more faithful to the books.
Spoiler

Then I started working on some details, like the park around Majesty Hill, and View Street, one of the main streets in the Estate District. I really like the feel of this next picture.
Spoiler

Anyway, here's an overview shot. Pretty excited to say I'm done with all the buildings I want in the Estate District. There's still plenty to do. Monotonous tasks like finishing some detailing on some buildings, putting in some extra towers, landscaping, blending, and of course interiors. But all the bare bones are done now, and I have a plan for each building, just a matter of putting the time in! I'll probably end up branching out to Lakeside District soon, I've been wanting to work on some of the restaurants near Borthen Park for some time now. And being able to abandon the theme I've been using for the Estate District in favour of more variation sounds appealing.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 16 October 2016 - 07:09 PM

#67 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:05 PM

I dig the contrast of the spiraling towers in Baruk's estate to the crumbling decrepit one next door. Very nice!

#68 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:41 AM

Grad school is keeping me pretty busy, but I've found time to flesh out the area around Sickle Gate & Morul's Street of Jewels - the area that connects the Estate District to Lakefront District.
You can see the peak of Majesty Hall in the background.
Spoiler

And I've designed a Banner for Darujhistan using the in-game banner system. I chose the blue circle in the middle for obvious reason - the city of blue flame. The triangle coming up from the bottom represents the barrows and hills that led to the founding on the city. Then the background is split between grey, because the city is a breeding ground for morally dubious thieves and assassins, and white, because it is (was) the last & greatest of the free cities of Genabackis.
Spoiler

And here's a uniquely Malazan view. Moon's Spawn from a restaurant near Borthen Park.
Spoiler

#69 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:45 AM

Great concept for the banner. While I like the complementary scheme of the background, I doubt the council would have accepted "the city is a breeding ground for morally dubious thieves and assassins" as a rationale for it :p

Seriously, I love your persistence with this project. Every screenshot you post has more depth and meticulousness than the last.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 13 December 2016 - 02:46 AM

#70 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 13 December 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

Great concept for the banner. While I like the complementary scheme of the background, I doubt the council would have accepted "the city is a breeding ground for morally dubious thieves and assassins" as a rationale for it :p

Seriously, I love your persistence with this project. Every screenshot you post has more depth and meticulousness than the last.

Hah, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll leave it that in Darujhistan, not everything is black and white, it's more of a grey. I think the council could definitely get behind that.
Thanks for the feedback Whisperzzz, you're my biggest fan Posted ImageI'll have to dedicate a house to you or something Posted Image

#71 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

I hadn't seen this thread until today. Sooooooooo good. I must admit, I thought you'd never get as far as you had, having struggled to build a single house in the thing by my self. Hats off to you
Get to the chopper!

#72 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

View PostBattalion, on 13 December 2016 - 03:26 PM, said:

I hadn't seen this thread until today. Sooooooooo good. I must admit, I thought you'd never get as far as you had, having struggled to build a single house in the thing by my self. Hats off to you

Thanks Battalion! Judging from my latest overhead shot I'm about 1/3rd* done the bulk of the project, and it's only taken me 2.5 years so far. Check back in another 5 and I might be done!
*really more like 1/4th, but I'm getting faster and spending more time on the project so maybe I'll finish it in a couple of years.

Spoiler

#73 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

Holy shit Dadding that is some serious progress you've made.

#74 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 06 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

Thanks Apt - I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

Decided I should probably take a break from videogames and focus on some sciencey stuff, so I'm posting the progress I've made in the last couple of months. Got into Morrowind for a little bit, so I may have gotten distracted, but I've done some work on it.

I've been working on the area of Lakefront District right next to the Estate District. Here's a picture of the model for the docks I've settled on. A bit different from the docks along the Gadrobi District, but similar enough to be found in the same city.
Spoiler

So I've plotted out space for Borthen Park and made some of the terraced restaurants around the place. There's "The Terrace", "Kathada's", and "The Oblong Pearl." Magajal's Place is probably located nearby too, but I haven't built that yet. None of the buildings are completely done, once again I'm just working on planning out where everything goes before I finish them up.
Spoiler

I've also been working on the area that will become a market on Salt Walk. This may be the same market that Picker picks up some alcohol from in TTH (I think?), but it's only mentioned as a decrepit Rivi Market, whereas the first description of the market along Salt Walk is a pretty luxurious one. So this may be one of several markets in Lakefront. I mean the whole district is pretty Market-like in my head. Anyway here's some pictures of the square. A couple of the buildings are inspired by The Witcher's Novigrad.
Spoiler

And then here's a nice overhead shot showing all the rooves in the background, starting to look fleshed out.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 06 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

#75 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

That last shot Posted Image

Holy crap it is big. And that's just a fraction?! You, good sir, need a crack team or eternal life. Amazing stuff.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#76 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

View PostGorefest, on 06 February 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

That last shot Posted Image

Holy crap it is big. And that's just a fraction?! You, good sir, need a crack team or eternal life. Amazing stuff.

Glad you like it, thanks Gorefest! The size is still a bit daunting, there's so much to do but not enough time, it's just like doing an MSc.

#77 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

I'm back! I started working on Darujhistan again this weekend, and I made a bit of progress. I made eight more buildings next to Borthen Park, right up against the water in Lakefront District. Here are a few of them.
Spoiler

Then I got to work on a rather unusual building, The Philosophical Society of Learned Brethren. It's hardly mentioned in the books, other than by Ebbin in OST, who is a member, and I think he visits there once or twice. I thought it would be an old stone building, sort of like a school house. So I modeled it off Pictou Academy, an old school co-founded by my several-times-great Grandfather here in Eastern Canada.
Spoiler

Then I started working on Tarlow's Warehouse, where Kalam and Quickben take on the Tiste Andii night-hunters in GoTM. It's a big building compared to the surroundings, but based on the description of several roofs and a large clearing, it sort of had to be.
Spoiler

And then to end off, a shot of the city by night with blue shaders: The City of Blue Fire.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 29 March 2017 - 12:32 AM

#78 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:34 PM

Those shaders are so sexy! And great architectural choice for the Philosophical Society. I always look forward to your updates.

#79 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

Long time no post! I took a bit of a break from Minecraft for some other games / life stuff. But I threw myself into it again lately and had the most productive couple of weeks I've ever had working on this project. So without further ado, here's the updated overview! The Lakefront district is looking nearly full.

Posted Image

Like I've said before, a lot of the buildings are pretty bare-bones (which is why you'll see a lot of wattle and daub [the white blocks with brown trim] filling entire walls with no patterns, it's mostly a placeholder). I've expanded the very-lakefront-y part of lakefront, so I've got pretty much the whole shore line covered. I added a couple warehouses, and also made room for the market along Lakefront that stocks delicious Rhivi flatbread and Saltoan wine. Or so I'm told.
Spoiler

Then I moved on to Quip's bar. It's one of the only buildings I've built out of sandstone so far, and it's described as leaning against the Second Tier Wall, so I've worked it right into the wall, and I'll deal with that a bit later.
Spoiler

Close to Quip's is another Terraced restaurant - I think this one may become "The Terrace" because it has a pretty prominent terrace on both sides, one of which looks out over the whole bay. There's also a bookstore and a couple residential buildings nearby. Next to that is a multi-building complex sort of thing, one of the smaller buildings, the one with the brown roof, is Chal Grillol's woodwright shop . Except it's now closed and he's living under a wharf a few blocks away right next to where bits of a certain sword get dropped.
Spoiler

Then I made one building in the Daru District - the guild hall of guards, sentinels, wardens, and gatemen. I'm thinking it will be pretty close to the Malazan and Moranth embassy, as well as a few other military buildings and the Daru jail.
Spoiler

And finally I'm now working on the Bourse of the Dancing Girls - described as being close together, lots of apartment buildings and brightly coloured awnings. So I've built three fairly large buildings and put them together just at the border of the Lakefront district and the Gadrobi distict. Felt like Daru dancing girls would be high class enough to get out of the Gadrobi district, but they would still kind of be shunned into a corner of the district. To the left of that is the Arms quarter, where I've begun working on some shops for sword and armour selling merchants. And I'm thinking of sticking the Office of the Guild of Blacksmiths there too. But no actual smiths, because they're mostly stuck to the Street of Weaponsmiths and Strreeet of Whitesmiths in the Gadrobi district (and probably a few other unmentioned streets- maybe the street or armoursmiths?), and a select few in White Gold's Round in the Estate district mostly for jewelry. And probably even more Eldra Iron Mongers outside the city itself. Also makes sense to have no smiths here because the hoity toity guildsmen are described as never having worked a forge in their lives (and I have no more room shhhh).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 23 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

#80 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

I'd like to eat at The Terrace, then stroll over to Quip's Bar for a raucous night. Looks like they have good vibes :(

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users