• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Darujhistan in Minecraft Pictures & Progress

#1 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:59 AM

Hi all. I recently created a thread asking for geographic details of Darujhistan in order to begin its creation in Minecraft (I'm still looking for as many details as possible), but I wanted to create a different thread in a more relevant sub-forum in order to simply record my progress.

Updates & more pictures in replies to the OP
Check out FLICKR DARUJHISTAN PROJECT ALBUM for all the pictures I've taken.

Here's an overhead shot with the map for comparison. I had to straighten some parts of the wall because it's difficult to make gates on a diagonal wall.
Posted Image

And an updated version:

Posted Image

Here are some pictures of the walls themselves.
Spoiler

Here's the gate to the Daru District
Spoiler

Here's the Two-Ox gate. I assumed it was named because of some carving / likeness, so I included two oxen heads. Not really satisfied how it turned out though.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 13 December 2016 - 03:25 PM

#2 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:45 AM

Looking good there Dadding.
No Touchy.

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:17 AM

Finished the last major gate on the outer wall. It leads to the estate district, so I tried to make it a teensy bit more posh. It's a bit too blocky for my liking right now though.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Looks great! I like all the upper-areas that aren't just more wall but are functional rooms as well as defensively useful - seems like a realistic way of having it to me.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

I got bored of gates, so I'm moving on to the docks. Took a while to terraform the slope of the shore to my liking, but now I can begin in earnest. On a side note, does anyone know where Barathol's shop is in Darujhistan?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dadding: 05 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

#6 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

Barathol? Depends if he's had the place from Kruppe yet. I'm not sure I recall where his smithy in Daru is, TTH re-read needed for sure.

These are looking pretty impressive - which texture pack are you using?
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#7 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

View PostMessremb, on 05 June 2014 - 08:26 AM, said:

Barathol? Depends if he's had the place from Kruppe yet. I'm not sure I recall where his smithy in Daru is, TTH re-read needed for sure.

These are looking pretty impressive - which texture pack are you using?

I imagine I'll be rereading both GoTM and TTH before I'm done.

As for the texture pack, that's a complicated question. It's mostly based upon Dokucraft: Light. It's got a handful of blocks from Westeroscraft, a handful from the assorted unused textures on the Dokucraft website, and a few of my own creation. Pretty much every block that I don't regularly use for building structures has been replaced with something useful. I've got gravestones, fish drying racks, netting, clothes lines, fancy windows, more types of crates than you could imagine, recoloured cobblestone and wood, etc.
Spoiler

I've also switched up the paintings, I've got a claw banner, bridgeburner sigil (thanks to Urb) and a couple maps
Spoiler

If you want to try it out, here's a download link. Let me know if it works, google drive has been problematic in the past.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 05 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

#8 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

I finished my first buildings. Exciting. This is the waterfront of the Gadrobi district. Most of the buildings here are going to built with primarily wood. The roofs will be primarily black or red wood, with the exception of industrial buildings (like the warehouse shown below).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Dadding: 06 June 2014 - 11:29 PM

#9 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:31 AM

I caved and got myself e-book versions of GotM, TTH, and OST, and I've spent the last couple days searching through them. I've now planned out where the majority of the buildings are, and where and what the major streets are named.

Here's a google doc with most of my research if anyone is interested.

Posted Image

And here's a complete list of locations that I could find mentioned by name. Let me know if you notice I've missed anything major.

Spoiler

Ideally I'd also like to make the gas caverns under the city, and connect them up to all the redstone lamps in the city. I'd also like to get around to making Moon's Spawn hovering over the bay, and some sort of Assassin's Guild shortcut system / hidden areas all around the city, ideally marked by some sort of retextured block with a hidden symbol. But this project is ambitious enough as is, and I don't see me finishing any time soon.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

This all looks really good. I'm sure you've noticed it but it will be really cool to get the tiered aspect right, with the higher districts looking more high status. And gardens!

It's all tight alleys and cramped quarters low down, like dockside and the mouse; shanty huts and such; and wide paved well lit streets the higher you go, with gardens and big houses.

Also, you have way too much spare time :)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

This looks incredibly awesome! I don't play Minecraft, but I love seeing some of the crazy creations people make using this system.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Holy crap dadding...big project. It's going to take so long to fill that colossal area with such small buildings. I wish you luck

It would be a real good idea to record at very low frame rate (1 frame / 10 sec or something). Put together a time lapse video when you're done.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys!

View PostTraveller, on 10 June 2014 - 07:24 AM, said:

This all looks really good. I'm sure you've noticed it but it will be really cool to get the tiered aspect right, with the higher districts looking more high status. And gardens!

It's all tight alleys and cramped quarters low down, like dockside and the mouse; shanty huts and such; and wide paved well lit streets the higher you go, with gardens and big houses.

Also, you have way too much spare time :)

Yes, between my job and doing nothing, I have a ridiculous amount of spare time Posted Image I saw a picture yesterday of Darujhistan that you drew that really reminded me of the tiered system (and was a very nice picture in and of itself). My tiers aren't that pronounced, but there's about a 4-6 block difference in height between the levels. I tried 10+ blocks at first, but it looked a bit unnatural.

There are a couple exceptions to the rule, but your suggestion of lower class houses the lower down you go is spot on. For example, the duelling school is found in the Gadrobi District. I imagine it as a fairly nice building, but the neighbour its in is basically a slum. And then there's Hinter's Tower in the Estate District, and Lakefront is full of all sorts of differing types of buildings.

Also completely unrelated side note: In TTH it says Hood dies at an intersection in Lakefront, then OST tells us its in the Gadrobi District. That bothers me, but I'm going to trust SE on this one.

View PostBlend, on 10 June 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

This looks incredibly awesome! I don't play Minecraft, but I love seeing some of the crazy creations people make using this system.

Once you start you'll never stop Posted Image

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 June 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

Holy crap dadding...big project. It's going to take so long to fill that colossal area with such small buildings. I wish you luck

It would be a real good idea to record at very low frame rate (1 frame / 10 sec or something). Put together a time lapse video when you're done.

Tell me about it, I may have to resort to copy-paste at some point. But I think the Estate District and Lakefront District should be within my capabilities without copying.

Timelapse would be a great idea, though I'm not sure if my computer could handle recording and building and the dozen or so windows I generally have open. I also think the timelapse plugin I'm familiar with is not up to date, and using another person to do the 3rd person shots would be a hassle. I may be able to do it for one district or something that I leave until last.

#14 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

hmm...yeah. I was thinking along the lines of what dudes use for lets plays and lets-builds on youtube. FRAPS or something?

I think there are a few utilities out there. My thought was that it might not be too memory-intensive if you've got the frame capture rate set really slow. Most of the folks that complain about memory/storage issues with fraps are trying to record FPS games at 1080p quality.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#15 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 June 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

hmm...yeah. I was thinking along the lines of what dudes use for lets plays and lets-builds on youtube. FRAPS or something?

I think there are a few utilities out there. My thought was that it might not be too memory-intensive if you've got the frame capture rate set really slow. Most of the folks that complain about memory/storage issues with fraps are trying to record FPS games at 1080p quality.

I've used FRAPS with Minecraft in the past, and it wasn't too horrible, but there was an issue with crashing frequently. What I'm really concerned about is how to get the right angles. Nobody wants to see a timelapse in first person view, or even third person. They want the view from far away so they can see what's happening. The only way to achieve that is through the use of a plugin (which, from what I can see, is out of date) or using another account / character to record yourself.

#16 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

ah, I see the problem. 1st person would be confusing as heck in a timelapse. You should talk to Messremb when you get it finished. Slide him the world file and maybe he can load it up on the realm so that we can all fly around in it.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#17 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 June 2014 - 04:50 PM, said:

ah, I see the problem. 1st person would be confusing as heck in a timelapse. You should talk to Messremb when you get it finished. Slide him the world file and maybe he can load it up on the realm so that we can all fly around in it.

Will do, but don't expect it finished any time soon Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

Here's the basic shape of Lady Simtal's / Coll's Estate. Haven't fleshed it out, roof is still wonky, and it's pretty barren at the moment. Always imagined it as a gothic-type manor. This will most likely be the largest plot and building in the estate district because I have to fit in a forest / Azath behind it. Seems a bit big to me anyway, so I might have to redo it later.

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

Haven't spent a lot of time on this lately, as I've been working through The Witcher series. But here's a bit of detail on the façade of the estate.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Dadding 

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I'm still working on it! Here's my third or so mock up of Hinter's Tower. Not sure if I like the roof yet though. You can also see the beginnings of White Gold's Round (Krutte's Shop)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dadding: 13 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users