Malazan Empire: THings I might have missed... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THings I might have missed... just finished first read

#1 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:physics, math, basketball, fire, beer...etc.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:02 PM

Hey guys! As usual, I just finished reading one of the books and I have some questions. I apologize in advance if they have already been asked before. I didnt see them anywhere but I didnt look very hard either.

1.) Is it ever explicitly stated that Traveller is Dassem Ultor? I'm pretty sure it has to be him...that was my first thought when he appeared on Drift Availii and saved Crockus and thems, but I don't recall seeing it explicitly stated anywhere.

2.) Who the hell is the guy in the Imperial Warren killing all these folks and what the hell is his problem?

3.) Dessembae is talking to Hood at the end about someone that should have made one of the greatest generals ever to come out of the Malazan Empire. WHO IS IT? So many people died in such a short span I kinda lost track. Choss? Toc the Elder?

4.) Who the hell is the thing that killed Lasseen? Does it ever mention it or is this a big ol RAFO?

5.) I thought Kallor agreed to become the King in Chains, but now it is saying that Skinner is...wtf?

6.) Are we supposed to know who Yath is? I feel like I should for some reason...he is quite powerful...maybe he has been mentioned before or something?

7.) This goes way back to deadhouse gates...is the crazy warlock in the sky from DG related to the crew that escapes the mines somehow?

8.) The other 3 parts of Ho are the 3 brothers that were in Li Heng working with Silk right? What happened to them? Were they the 3 that tried to kill Tayschren?

9.) Who the hell is this Wildman or whatever? Sounds like he is a "old gaurd".

10.) The guy at the end asking about a girl...he is referring to the girl that was supposed have ancient blood or something right?

I know i have more, but this is all I can think of right now. THanks in advance and again I apologize if these have been aseked elsewhere.
res ipsa loquitor

#2 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:21 PM

Duikers, on 13 May 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

Hey guys! As usual, I just finished reading one of the books and I have some questions. I apologize in advance if they have already been asked before. I didnt see them anywhere but I didnt look very hard either.

1.) Is it ever explicitly stated that Traveller is Dassem Ultor? I'm pretty sure it has to be him...that was my first thought when he appeared on Drift Availii and saved Crockus and thems, but I don't recall seeing it explicitly stated anywhere.

2.) Who the hell is the guy in the Imperial Warren killing all these folks and what the hell is his problem? Topper - a claw, previously seen in GoTM

3.) Dessembae is talking to Hood at the end about someone that should have made one of the greatest generals ever to come out of the Malazan Empire. WHO IS IT? So many people died in such a short span I kinda lost track. Choss? Toc the Elder? Ullen

4.) Who the hell is the thing that killed Lasseen? Does it ever mention it or is this a big ol RAFO? Taya, a dancing girl, RAFO. Her last name (Radok) and city of origin (Darujhistan) found in the character list might give you some hints.

5.) I thought Kallor agreed to become the King in Chains, but now it is saying that Skinner is...wtf?

6.) Are we supposed to know who Yath is? I feel like I should for some reason...he is quite powerful...maybe he has been mentioned before or something? Nope

7.) This goes way back to deadhouse gates...is the crazy warlock in the sky from DG related to the crew that escapes the mines somehow?

8.) The other 3 parts of Ho are the 3 brothers that were in Li Heng working with Silk right? What happened to them? Were they the 3 that tried to kill Tayschren?

9.) Who the hell is this Wildman or whatever? Sounds like he is a "old gaurd". Ferrule - sword brother to Temp who fought alongside Dassem back when he was first sword

10.) The guy at the end asking about a girl...he is referring to the girl that was supposed have ancient blood or something right?

I know i have more, but this is all I can think of right now. THanks in advance and again I apologize if these have been aseked elsewhere.

Answers to the ones I know in bold. Pretty sure none of that is spoilers, as I saw the same info posted elsewhere in this forum.

This post has been edited by Dadding: 13 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

#3 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Dadding, on 13 May 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

It was not ever stated in RotCG.

2.) Who the hell is the guy in the Imperial Warren killing all these folks and what the hell is his problem? Topper - a claw, previously seen in GoTM

3.) Dessembae is talking to Hood at the end about someone that should have made one of the greatest generals ever to come out of the Malazan Empire. WHO IS IT? So many people died in such a short span I kinda lost track. Choss? Toc the Elder? Ullen

4.) Who the hell is the thing that killed Lasseen? Does it ever mention it or is this a big ol RAFO? Taya, a dancing girl, RAFO. Her last name (Radok) and city of origin (Darujhistan) found in the character list might give you some hints.

And for a while it was Rhulad. I suppose the Crippled GOd is fickle, but these are his choices. Kind of a shitty lot, if you ask me.

6.) Are we supposed to know who Yath is? I feel like I should for some reason...he is quite powerful...maybe he has been mentioned before or something? Nope

Seven Cities priest or Faladhan will do just fine.

That was just a random otataral crazed mage that was royally fucking shit up.

The three who faced Tayschrenn were Crimson Guard Veils, and later Shell says it was Isha, who is working with Team Skinner. I believe Ho assimilated the three parts during when Tayschrenn first appeared. It was off screen but after he's attacked by "three similar looking guys" some stuff happens and when he's seen again its noticed he has an "idiotic grin" meaning he did something he was proud of or something like that.

9.) Who the hell is this Wildman or whatever? Sounds like he is a "old gaurd". Ferrule - sword brother to Temp who fought alongside Dassem back when he was first sword

Yeah, Ghelel got away, but Moss is still trailing her.

Answers to the ones I know in bold. Pretty sure none of that is spoilers, as I saw the same info posted elsewhere in this forum.

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#4 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Spoilsport Stonny, on 13 May 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

And for a while it was Rhulad. I suppose the Crippled GOd is fickle, but these are his choices. Kind of a shitty lot, if you ask me.

The three who faced Tayschrenn were Crimson Guard Veils, and later Shell says it was Isha, who is working with Team Skinner. I believe Ho assimilated the three parts during when Tayschrenn first appeared. It was off screen but after he's attacked by "three similar looking guys" some stuff happens and when he's seen again its noticed he has an "idiotic grin" meaning he did something he was proud of or something like that.

hmmm...so that Yath guy could be the Faladhan that Quick Ben was assigned to or what have you, before the Malazan conquest of Seven Cities?

So why was Topper killing all them folks? It seemed like there was some kind of big picture to his motives but I never really figured it out.

Ohh and is there a difference between Temp and Temper? I thought Temper was like the gaurdian of the Deadhouse now or some such thing?
res ipsa loquitor

#5 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Temp is just an uninventive pseudonym Temper uses now that he's back on the field.

I'm pretty sure his "guarding" of the Deadhouse is more of a mutual agreement rather than being bound to it internally (Raest, Moby etc) hence his ability to leave.

#6 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Duikers, on 14 May 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

Spoilsport Stonny, on 13 May 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

hmmm...so that Yath guy could be the Faladhan that Quick Ben was assigned to or what have you, before the Malazan conquest of Seven Cities?

So why was Topper killing all them folks? It seemed like there was some kind of big picture to his motives but I never really figured it out.

Ohh and is there a difference between Temp and Temper? I thought Temper was like the gaurdian of the Deadhouse now or some such thing?

Yath is a high priest/mage to a Falahd (ruler of one of the main 7 cities) I think. There might be more RAFO info but thats the gist really (I think it might be in SW actually). QB wasnt assigned to a Falahd from what I remember but Kalam was a bodyguard to one which is mentioned in MOI if thats what your thinking of maybe.

Topper I think was culling the claw and denying anyone access to the IW while also getting himself back into shape. Topper surrounding himself with whores and sychopants is mentioned by Kalam I BH I think so he gets himself back in the game by becoming useful.

Temp is Temper and yes he is guardian of the Deadhouse, maybe just the outer deadhouse as inside already has a guardian.

#7 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

thanks guys!
res ipsa loquitor

#8 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:22 AM

Regarding Yath, isn't it already in HoC somewhere that the original name of Y'Gathan is written as Yath'Gathan? :wallbash:

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

NoOneExpectsThetiamishInquisition, on 14 May 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Temp is Temper and yes he is guardian of the Deadhouse, maybe just the outer deadhouse as inside already has a guardian.

Agreed Temper's role is a wee bit unclear, since unlike other guardians we've seen he just buggers off to the pub and/or war, but i thought he was the Deadhouse's only guardian since he replaced the last one in NoK?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

He replaced an old man who also sat at the pub all day except when duty called. The Jaghut inside is still inside, doing whatever it is the inside guardians do.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

worry, on 15 May 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

...doing whatever it is the inside guardians do.

Playing board games with the undead, collecting posthumous pets, running into Ganoes Paran. Just like my usual weekends.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:10 PM

worry, on 15 May 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

He replaced an old man who also sat at the pub all day except when duty called. The Jaghut inside is still inside, doing whatever it is the inside guardians do.

I'm pretty sure the Jaghut was rooted and buried by the Azath.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

Oh yah, you're right. But still, the impression I got was always that Trenech and Faro rather than Jhenna passed their outside duty onto Temper.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

Khazduk, on 15 May 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Regarding Yath, isn't it already in HoC somewhere that the original name of Y'Gathan is written as Yath'Gathan? :wallbash:

Yanath Ghatan and its a Dejihm Nebrahl POV from TBH I think. We learn who he is in SW when

Spoiler

Abyss, on 15 May 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

NoOneExpectsThetiamishInquisition, on 14 May 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Agreed Temper's role is a wee bit unclear, since unlike other guardians we've seen he just buggers off to the pub and/or war, but i thought he was the Deadhouse's only guardian since he replaced the last one in NoK?

I was being flippant your right its not necessarily clear but implied. As WW say Jhenna gets taken with a new guardian taking over with Temp being like an outer guard. This unusual system of guard we dont see at any other Azath House could simply be an added pre caution given the Shadow moon occurrence every decade or so. SO Deadhouse gets 2 guardians due to it being in the path of a migratory piece of KE or whateve the reason were given for the shadow moon.

#15 User is offline   BellaGrace 

• Witness

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:10 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask a few questions -

Why do people seem so shocked the Crimson Guard are back? They were back in GoTM - that was what? 5-6 years before this book? The Avowed were scattered across the world, so surely there were Avowed in Brood's army - ESPECIALLY since they were fighting against the Malazans.

I really liked Ereko he was prob my favorite character of the book along with Greymane - but I don't understand his storyline. Why did he want to go back to his homeland just to allow himself to die. I feel like that was never explained. What point did that serve? It just seemed really disjointed.

I also didn't "get" Osserc's part of the storyline - he's an elder god - no way a couple of Avowed mages could defeat him and force him to be stuck in a sword - and why was it the only way he could get out was to be in the Shadowkeep? That whole thing was just strange and just seemed to be a really convoluted way to get a sword to Kyle. The only good part of that storyline is the monkey mopping the floor and making Osserc move out of his way.
I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
Richard P. Feynman

#16 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:43 AM

BellaGrace, on 08 December 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

I didn't want to start a new thread to ask a few questions -

Why do people seem so shocked the Crimson Guard are back? They were back in GoTM - that was what? 5-6 years before this book? The Avowed were scattered across the world, so surely there were Avowed in Brood's army - ESPECIALLY since they were fighting against the Malazans.

I really liked Ereko he was prob my favorite character of the book along with Greymane - but I don't understand his storyline. Why did he want to go back to his homeland just to allow himself to die. I feel like that was never explained. What point did that serve? It just seemed really disjointed.

I also didn't "get" Osserc's part of the storyline - he's an elder god - no way a couple of Avowed mages could defeat him and force him to be stuck in a sword - and why was it the only way he could get out was to be in the Shadowkeep? That whole thing was just strange and just seemed to be a really convoluted way to get a sword to Kyle. The only good part of that storyline is the monkey mopping the floor and making Osserc move out of his way.

In GotM, the Crimson Guard were fighting the Empire on Genebackis, which was a contested area. The Malazan Empire wanted all of Genebackis and Brood's coalition was stopping them. In a scenario like this its hardly unnatural that the Guard would show up and fight. In RotCG the Guard come to the heartland of the Malazan Empire - Quon Tali and straight out march into Unta the capital. This was anturally a big shock as they were literally the sworn mortal enemies of the Empire. To put this interms of a realworld analogy, its not shocking if the USA fights ISIS in Syria, but I bet it would be pretty shocking if ISIS ships landed in New York and then they marched through Washington DC.

Moreover Quon Tali was also the Guard's original homeland so their return also signified that they were at long last ready to challenge the Empire to the final fight, overthrow it and return the continent to the pre-Empire political situation.

As for Osserc, well..... let me know if you ever find Osserc acting like an Elder God. I always thought that the only times he was not acting like an utter idiot were the times he was stuck somewhere. People might imagine Osserc as some sort of counterpart to Rake. Never in a milion years. (Literally)

This post has been edited by Andorion: 08 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users