#301 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 June 2022 - 04:32 AM

View PostCause, on 04 February 2022 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 February 2022 - 03:16 PM, said:

This. Show. Is. Fucking. Spectacular.

Like honestly, I almost missed my bus stop watching it...

Also, I MAY have a crush on Drummer. Apparently I have thing for Belters.

I love this show, its fantastic!

It amazes me but not one person I have recommended it to has liked it.

I had this same problem. I recommend it to a few and no luck. The pacing is a little erratic season one that’s about my only theory.

I have seen the whole show and already completed a rewatch.

Amos is still my favorite sci-fi character and beat out G’kar.

Amoism all dead pan like:
“ I am that guy”
“ he is my best friend in the whole world”
Amos on Fear.. you know what I’m talking about /tear
“Shit did I miss it”
“ what .. the f is that”
“ I would .. do anything to protect you “

“You Breathe in, you breathe out...eat, shit, sleep. You take what they give you.....and give nothing in return.

On Tribes.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 09 June 2022 - 04:34 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#302 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 13 June 2022 - 05:01 PM

Cara Gee's Drummer is just as good. I also love Bobby and Avasarala. What an amazing cast. I've read all the books too -- solid stuff.

#303 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

Is this show worth continuing? I'm over halfway through the first series and while normally I'm happy to let differences between shows and books lie, there seems to be quite a few here that don't make any sense. Like there's a whole bunch of fabricated drama between the crew of the Rocinante that doesn't really add anything to the plot IMO.

Adding Avasarala to S1 is an interesting choice as well though I like her as a character (only read to near the end of Caliban's War so no spoilers)

Debating whether to watch S2 tbh.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#304 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 July 2022 - 11:22 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 July 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

Is this show worth continuing? I'm over halfway through the first series and while normally I'm happy to let differences between shows and books lie, there seems to be quite a few here that don't make any sense. Like there's a whole bunch of fabricated drama between the crew of the Rocinante that doesn't really add anything to the plot IMO.

Adding Avasarala to S1 is an interesting choice as well though I like her as a character (only read to near the end of Caliban's War so no spoilers)

Yes.

#305 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 July 2022 - 01:32 AM

Well I finished S1 and it seems to stop about 3/4 of the way through Leviathan Wakes. It was pretty good by the end and I want to see the whole Eros thing and how they do it on the show. I'll keep watching.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#306 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 22 July 2022 - 02:47 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 July 2022 - 01:32 AM, said:

Well I finished S1 and it seems to stop about 3/4 of the way through Leviathan Wakes. It was pretty good by the end and I want to see the whole Eros thing and how they do it on the show. I'll keep watching.

I do not think you will be disappointed. The adaptation is really good. I'm just frustrated that the the series probably won't cover the last three books. So many great characters to come.

#307 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 July 2022 - 06:46 PM

I’ve never read the books, so I can’t comment on source material. But the show is solid.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#308 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 23 August 2022 - 07:48 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 July 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

The authors have actually explained that they intentionally made a lot of the changes from the books to the show because TV is a different medium, and they felt that they had to tell the story a little bit differently. So at the very least, both Ty and Daniel were in the writer's room when the changes were made, and it was generally done for the way they were trying to tell the story. The examplkes I can remember are that a couple characters were given larger roles because the actors were so good (Errinwright being the one you would've encountered in seasons 1/2).

#309 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 October 2023 - 12:47 AM

I started the books. First time I have see. The show before the book is based on.

I’m halfway through book 1 and so far I think the tv adaption beyond just being a cooler medium for space than text (the hard sci-fi aspects of the tv adaption always impressed me), the story changes so far appear to all be solid.

The TV version of the Donager sets up mars and the stakes and the world building a lot better. The visuals of the focus drug interrogation were better than the text. The way the interrogation sets up the bios of the characters in the show. She’d in the TV show also seemed more solid so his death was more of a shock, here I obviously knew beforehand so it’s hard to say but his character felt small in the books.

Normally I rage when adaptions change things, almost always for the worst I feel like. I wonder if it’s a case of swing the tv show first or was this just an amazing adaption. Curious how the west of you felt.

#310 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 October 2023 - 02:16 AM

Bringing Avarsarala forward in time is such a massively good change that the show made.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#311 User is offline   Tavvar 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 October 2023 - 03:00 PM

They did a great job re-doing the series for TV! Ty Frank and Daniel Abraham were both writers on the show, and have been very open about why they made certain changes. I think it was great to have them writing the story and characters, but they also knew changes needed to be made and were open to the idea; they didn't insist on 100% fidelity to the books. In season 1, they felt they needed Aversarala earlier, and Errinwright's actor was so good they gave him a bigger role. It is still the same story, but all of the changes were made for a reason, and work well in the context of a TV show, and having to work with the availability of actors.

I think this is the only series where I have not seen complaints about book vs show changes, and I think it is due to how good both are, and that Ty and Daniel have clear explanations behind any change.

#312 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 12 October 2023 - 01:39 AM

Did the rewatch and added a show prop. To my prop collection!

Right next to my hero Babylon 5 ppg. Nice.

This was my 3rd rewatch so time to reread the series after finishing the last of WOT.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#313 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 October 2023 - 07:10 AM

Started this, about 5 eps in.

Solid so far, nothing waow yet but will stick out the first season

#314 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 19 October 2023 - 08:28 AM

I stopped this show and I can't for the life of me remember why. Maybe I just wasn't vibing with it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#315 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 October 2023 - 01:17 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 October 2023 - 07:10 AM, said:

Started this, about 5 eps in.

Solid so far, nothing waow yet but will stick out the first season

I think it was about an ep or two into S2 that it REALLY truly started to show me something special.

And if your fave character by Season 2 isn't Camina Drummer, then you're wrong and lying.

Enjoy! Great show!

View PostTiste Simeon, on 19 October 2023 - 08:28 AM, said:

I stopped this show and I can't for the life of me remember why. Maybe I just wasn't vibing with it.

Season 1 is a BIT aimless as the books were better at piping in the mystery aspect of the first arc than the show is....and there's a lot of set up with the main crew characters that feels like it's stretched too far out...but by seasons end it hits its stride, and I felt Season 2 and 3 were great. I have no progressed beyond that as I'm not caught up in the books yet and I prefer the books to the show a bit.

Season 2 also introduces the Belters properly and they become SO amazing to follow as a people.

Oh and I think that everyone is solidly cast EXCEPT Colonel Fred Johnson....I think Chad L. Coleman is a TERRIBLE casting for him. When you read the books Fred comes across as sly, calculating, and wearied....Coleman presents none of this....I'd much rather if it had been someone like Denis Haysbert or Giancarlo Esposito....their gravitas as leaders juts outweighs what Chad puts on screen.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 19 October 2023 - 01:25 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#316 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:17 PM

Amos is the best character, I dont know why but I love his vibe. He is a loveable sociopath. I am looking forward to see how he is portrayed in the books. Book Amos seems to have for more agency than early TV show Amos. He respects Naomi but doesnt just defer his every decision to her.

#317 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:32 PM

View PostCause, on 19 October 2023 - 04:17 PM, said:

Amos is the best character, I dont know why but I love his vibe. He is a loveable sociopath. I am looking forward to see how he is portrayed in the books. Book Amos seems to have for more agency than early TV show Amos. He respects Naomi but doesnt just defer his every decision to her.

Wes Chatham absolutely NAILED what I feel Amos was like in the books. The beefy, often quiet (until he's needed) muscle who's opinion is usually the most straightforward, if politically incorrect.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#318 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2023 - 07:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 October 2023 - 04:32 PM, said:

Wes Chatham absolutely NAILED what I feel Amos was like in the books. The beefy, often quiet (until he's needed) muscle who's opinion is usually the most straightforward, if politically incorrect.

I love him. In his own words he doesnt always know what to do. He cant distinguish between right or wrong which seems to be the definition of sociopath. He seem to only distinguish between what is in his own interest and what isn't. However he is not vindictive or a sadist or even someone who goes out of his way to bully anyone. He just clearly says where the line is and wont let you cross it. Not sure if such a psychosis exists int he real world or not but I find his character fascinating. Also uclear if that is just who he is, or if its a trauma response to his childhood. Could be either, could be both.

#319 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2023 - 11:53 AM

View PostCause, on 19 October 2023 - 07:35 PM, said:

I love him. In his own words he doesnt always know what to do. He cant distinguish between right or wrong which seems to be the definition of sociopath. He seem to only distinguish between what is in his own interest and what isn't. However he is not vindictive or a sadist or even someone who goes out of his way to bully anyone. He just clearly says where the line is and wont let you cross it. Not sure if such a psychosis exists int he real world or not but I find his character fascinating. Also uclear if that is just who he is, or if its a trauma response to his childhood. Could be either, could be both.

Yeah, that's a fairly good summation. I would add that he's not exactly a sociopath in that he DOES have feelings and he can express empathy and often does when someone is downtrodden (a true sociopath would not be able to do that)...but sociopathic tendencies? Absolutely.

#320 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 October 2023 - 03:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2023 - 11:53 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 19 October 2023 - 07:35 PM, said:

Yeah, that's a fairly good summation. I would add that he's not exactly a sociopath in that he DOES have feelings and he can express empathy and often does when someone is downtrodden (a true sociopath would not be able to do that)...but sociopathic tendencies? Absolutely.

Brilliantly written character brilliantly adapted to the show.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

20 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users