• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

THE EXPANSE TV series Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck's books hit the small screen

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

SyFy has ordered a 10-episode first season for The Expanse, a new space opera TV series based on the novels of the same name by James S.A. Corey.

Set 200 years in the future, The Expanse is set in a colonised Solar system where power is divided between Earth, Mars, the asteroid belt mining settlements and massive megacorporations.

James S.A. Corey is a pen-name for the writing team of Daniel Abraham, one of the best fantasy authors of the past decade, and Ty Franck, a SF writer. Both of them are collaborators of George R.R. Martin (writer of the novels Game of Thrones is based on): Abraham has written for his Wild Cards setting and is currently penning the Game of Thrones graphic novels, whilst Franck is Martin's assistant.

The Expanse series is expected to last for six volumes. The first three (Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War and Abaddon's Gate) are out now. The fourth, Cibola Burn, is out in June and the series is expected to be completed within two years. There are also several spin-off novellas and short stories set in the same universe.

Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby are the producers, head writers and likely showrunners for the TV project. Their previous work includes the scripts for Children of Men and the original Iron Man.

From the press release:

"The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy's most ambitious series to date," Syfy president Dave Howe said. "Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Co. is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer lineup of high-concept, high-quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion."

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Could this be the prophesied return of the one true Syfy?

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hmm, might be time to finally dip into the Expanse series, all though if it is going to be completed within a year or two I will probably wait until then.

Werts reviews of the earlier books have certainly peaked my interest.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

It's a great series, but the best bit about it being adapted is that it's a PERFECT fit for TV. Multiple characters, and multiple grey variations on right and wrong, good and evil ect. Can't wait for it!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

God, if there is any justice in this world, Nathan Fillion must play Jim Holden. Not sure who'd be Miller, maybe Harrison Ford (Blade Runner style).
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#6 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Fillon fits perfectly , even if he had grey hair and a cane.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Syfy who brought us the gems that are Warehouse 13, Eureka and the Sanctuary? I will wait very cautiously

#8 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Baco Xtath, on 12 April 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

God, if there is any justice in this world, Nathan Fillion must play Jim Holden. Not sure who'd be Miller, maybe Harrison Ford (Blade Runner style).

I don't remember the exact ages of the characters in the book but IMO these are both perfect fits. But Ford is probably too high profile for this.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Just realized something about this being aired on Syfy....Avasarala isn't going to be the foul-mouthed masterpiece that she is in the books due to it being on regular network TV and not a specialty network.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Briar King, on 16 July 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

I been wondering how they ll show Bobby in her suit also. I have my fingers crossed they can pull this show off but there is a lot of bomb potential as well. They re gonna have to be on top of their game with this.

I think all the networks are trying to come up with their own BREAKING BAD, GOT, WALKING DEAD ect....something that makes ppl flock to them...and this seems like SyFy's bid.

#11 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

http://www.danielabr...on-the-tv-show/

Read this. Abraham posted it yesterday, and it gives a bunch of good info. (comments have some interesting stuff too).

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

TRAILER!

Looks nothing like what I pictured when I read the books, but the cast seems right and I can adjust to the look.

I hope to hell that they haven't gotten rid of Avasarala's potty mouth.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 15 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

#13 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

Huh. Looks interesting. Still haven't read the series, need to address that. And hey, it's got Mike from Breaking Bad! Looking forward to this.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#14 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

QuickTidal, on 15 January 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

I hope to hell that they haven't gotten rid of Avasarala's potty mouth.

Shohreh Agdashaloo probably won't do the full potty-mouth thing. She's shown a liking for avoiding profanity in her earlier career.

I have full confidence that she'll do the will-of-steel thing well though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:01 PM

amphibian, on 15 January 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

I have full confidence that she'll do the will-of-steel thing well though.

That will be good enough for me. She's just my fave character is all.

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

Damn, this looks great! There's hope for Syfy yet!

Spoiler

#17 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

Not available in my country....well fuck them too and fuck their mothers!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#18 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Primateus, on 16 January 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Not available in my country....well fuck them too and fuck their mothers!

Ditto. What the fuck is the point of that shit? It benefits no-one. :(

EDIT:

Just found on youtube, ignore the Spanish subtitles.

I have ... reservations. Will wait to see what the reaction is to the first couple of episodes.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 16 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

Briar King, on 16 January 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

I dont remember if Ave was even in book 1 though. Thought she was bk2 with Bobby but we know that TV changes are bound to happen.

Yeah, she is Book 2 and Bobby...fleshing out thr world means that stuff that happens with their characters in book 2 can happen in S1 of the series I'd guess, overlappping at least SOME of the events in book 1...or perhaps new stuff was written for them (what they were doing during book 1)?

#20 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

I see that this series will also feature Chad Coleman, aka Tyreese (TWD) and Jared harris aka David Robert Jones (Fringe) This is good news as both are excellent actors who can lend weight to their parts.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 26 March 2015 - 07:26 PM

Screw you all, and have a nice day!

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users