• You cannot reply to this topic

THE EXPANSE TV series Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck's books hit the small screen

#21 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 March 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostPrimateus, on 26 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

I see that this series will also feature Chad Coleman, aka Tyreese (TWD) and Jared harris aka David Robert Jones (Fringe) This is good news as both are excellent actors who can lend weight to their parts.

Also Mike from BB/Call Saul

As who????????????

#22 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

WTF! Somehow I didn't know that they had released a trailer! Just watched it, and wow, I'm even more excited!

#23 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

I too am both excited and scared. Excited that it'll be bloody awesome and scared that it'll be bloody awful. Now I know that SyFy really isn't the same channel as it was back when it was SciFi. But I prefer to look at it like this; This show will be brought to us by the same channel that brought us Farscape. And Farscape is beyond awesome!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#24 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:00 PM

The authors seem to be very confident that it will be good, so I put my faith in them.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

SyFy lost my faith in original content a long time ago. Here's hoping this is a return to form from their early days.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

Just watched the trailer... seems kind of weird that not a single line of dialogue really jumped out at me as "oh yeah, that must be at *this* part from the books". Maybe that doesn't matter, and it is just a trailer after all, but pretty much all the dialogue in it seems like it is talking about things that didn't really happen in the books (particularly all the warmongering talk). Seems odd. Anyone else feel like that?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

View PostD, on 27 March 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Just watched the trailer... seems kind of weird that not a single line of dialogue really jumped out at me as "oh yeah, that must be at *this* part from the books". Maybe that doesn't matter, and it is just a trailer after all, but pretty much all the dialogue in it seems like it is talking about things that didn't really happen in the books (particularly all the warmongering talk). Seems odd. Anyone else feel like that?

Totally. I got that vibe too.

To be honest, as far as trailer construction goes for whetting the whistle, I'd have much rather have it start with the discovery of the protomolecule creature in the bathroom from the beginning. Like a slow, quiet opening...whatshername walks to bathroom, sees the thing, reels back in horror....THEN jump into the space stuff and the factions ect...it peaks the interest of those non-book reader possible viewers that this is more than just a space opera about different factions of humans vying for space....but something altogether bigger and more cosmic....but maybe they are saving that?

The trailer is cool to me...but that's because I've read the books. I wonder how it reads to a completely oblivious average viewer. Do they just think "Oh look, another space opera show"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

SyFy lost my faith in original content a long time ago. Here's hoping this is a return to form from their early days.

SyFy made a clear decision to abandon the sci-fi stuff that made them them about the time they changed their name, but have recently made a clear decision to go back to it in a serious way (what with Ascension and 12 Monkeys showing clear ambition and getting decent reviews and with this and Childhood's End still on the way and something called Hunters apparently cued up for next year as well) so I'm hoping this will find the mark.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#29 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:28 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 March 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

The trailer is cool to me...but that's because I've read the books. I wonder how it reads to a completely oblivious average viewer. Do they just think "Oh look, another space opera show"

Yeah, I saw the trailer, then started reading the books, but only because the trailer reminded me that I wanted to read them. Having now read 1.5 books into the series, I think the trailer is total shit.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#30 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:17 PM

Does anyone have any clue as to when this will air? I can't find ANYTHING anywhere about it.

#31 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

Apparently they did a surprise showing of the pilot and then a Q&A at NYCC. This review is pretty positive.

http://www.tor.com/2...ty-space-opera/

#32 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:48 PM

HOT DAMN!

http://deadline.com/...ies-1201604928/

#33 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

The Expanse’s first episode can be viewed via Syfy On Demand, Syfy.com, the Syfy Now App, Hulu, Amazon, Google Play, Vudu, iTunes, Playstation, Xbox, Facebook and YouTube.

Additionally, Syfy has partnered with Twitch, Wikia, IGN, IMDb, Good Reads, Crave Online and Roku to host the series premiere with original custom content.

That's how you do a fucking release. None of the one-service-only bullshit.

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 04 November 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

The Expanse’s first episode can be viewed via Syfy On Demand, Syfy.com, the Syfy Now App, Hulu, Amazon, Google Play, Vudu, iTunes, Playstation, Xbox, Facebook and YouTube.

Additionally, Syfy has partnered with Twitch, Wikia, IGN, IMDb, Good Reads, Crave Online and Roku to host the series premiere with original custom content.

That's how you do a fucking release. None of the one-service-only bullshit.

I think the goal (since this is one of SyFy's more expensive shows) is to get that shit out to EVERYONE who can watch. That's fully how you build a quick fanbase. No bullshit paywalls, or specialty nonsense...just "hey, check this out right here free". Good stuff.

I expect the same things from similar outings from other networks dipping their toes into pricey productions, like MTV's SHANNARA.

#35 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

I ll probably pass on it. I want to see it on my 49 in tv vs 5.5 phone. I'm pumped for this show.

You don't have any way to get internet content onto your TV? HDMI? Chromecast? Roku?

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

It's a smart tv with HDMI but that other stuff is foreign language to me. Ha remember who your talking to here?

I connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable ($20), which is the way I find easiest to watch stuff from the net on my TV.

#37 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 November 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

It's a smart tv with HDMI but that other stuff is foreign language to me. Ha remember who your talking to here?

You should be able to hook up your computer with an HDMI cable to the tv.

You may also be able to download Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, or whatever app on the TV. You should be able to do the same for what current gen console you have.

Basically, you have all the important pieces to watch internet stuff on your big tv already. Just gotta figure out what approach you like.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#38 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 12 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

Tor.com review of the first ep:

http://www.tor.com/2...fy-the-expanse/

#39 User is online   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostSerenity, on 12 November 2015 - 05:41 PM, said: