#41 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 20 November 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

They should get this kid to play a Belter: http://imgur.com/a/Zr0eB

SUFFER NOT THE ALIEN TO LIVE!

But seriously though, that seems like a serious problem?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#42 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:41 PM

For some reason that link doesn't show the gallery's title, which is "Chinese teenager Fu Wengui has Marfan syndrome, scoliosis, and three extra vertebrae in his neck."

#43 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:02 AM

GUYS GUYS GUYS. Syfy is gonna be releasing the pilot episode tomorrow night!

http://www.threeifby...-expanse-early/

#44 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:03 AM

57 minutes until the episode is release. :(

#45 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:56 AM

I hate SyFy and their stupid "You have to live in America to see this nyah nyah nyah" bullshit!

Very well then, you leave me no choice! I shall procure it by other means.

DISCLAIMER: Other means does not necessarily mean illegal means!

#46 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

You can watch the first episode now via SyFy's Facebook page. That works in the UK at least as well.

Pretty damn good. The best first episode of a space opera series since BSG ended. Solid script, great acting, a nice shooting style that goes for realism without settling for BSG-style shakey cam and some fantastic effects. I also liked the subtle ways they made it clear that Ceres has lower gravity than Earth or Mars (the bird only having to flap its wings intermittently, the guy falling into the airlock fairly slowly).

The pacing was also good, given how much they had to establish. Overall, a great opening and I'll be watching the rest of the series.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#47 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

I'm starting the episode now. Here we gooooooooo...

The opening theme is quite inspiring, if I do say so myself. It's pretty effective too, in that it shows humanity's advances on Earth and then throughout the solar system in a manner that gets the message across — this is the future.

Welp, the protomolecule stuff looks dope. All the VFX has been pretty well done so far. Not the best I've ever seen, but a damn sight better than Syfy's usual VFX. I love that they went all in with the Belter patois, though I have no idea what they're saying.

That accident with the ice was pretty unexpected! One thing I'm noticing is that the music is a little too loud when people are speaking and some of the voice just sound mushy. I'm really hoping they do some work to improve the sound mixing. Holden! Naomi! Alex! Amos!

I'm loving all the high G precautions that they show. That's the type of thing you never see on TV.

Overall, I thought that was a really enjoyable first episode, but it wasn't an amazing episode. I'm hoping that's due to it being the pilot.

Also, lol at some review calling it "Game of Thrones in space" when it's nothing at all like that.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 November 2015 - 08:34 PM

#48 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:09 AM

I liked it!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#49 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 24 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

View PostWerthead, on 23 November 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

The link doesn't seem to be working anymore :(

#50 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

The first episode seems very promising thought I'm not sure about a couple of the casting choices. Easily the best SF-series first episode I've seen recently also looks like they had the budget to perhaps pull of something as ambitious as this project.

#51 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

Just saw the pilot and i must say I'm impressed. My expectations were quite low for a SyFy channel production, but despite a few minor gripes it looks really good. The pilot could have done with being feature length in my opinion, as the story was really only just getting started when the credits rolled.

I will be tuning in to see how it goes, but having a delay until episode 2 is really fucking annoying

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#52 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 27 November 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

Just saw the pilot and i must say I'm impressed. My expectations were quite low for a SyFy channel production, but despite a few minor gripes it looks really good. The pilot could have done with being feature length in my opinion, as the story was really only just getting started when the credits rolled.

I will be tuning in to see how it goes, but having a delay until episode 2 is really fucking annoying

When the show actually starts airing, they're doing the first two episodes on back-to-back nights before it moves to a weekly timeslot, so that will help.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#53 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

Holy shit wow. Loved it.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#54 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostChance, on 24 November 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

The first episode seems very promising thought I'm not sure about a couple of the casting choices. Easily the best SF-series first episode I've seen recently also looks like they had the budget to perhaps pull of something as ambitious as this project.

It looked like the casting was nailed.

Shohreh Aghdashloo will be a fantastic Avarsala. Introducing her this early is a very good idea. I love the voice staying ciggy-fiend raspy.

The entire Rocinante crew looks and acts right. Holden (Steven Strait) in particular looks like he really does have star quality. Decker (Thomas Jane) is also well done.

Cutty as Fred Johnson is great casting.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#55 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I've been putting watching the first episode off for a while now because despite my eager expectations I've been afraid that it would suck.

I just finished it and it was bloody awesome. Great casting, great acting, great effects and just overall great atmosphere.

Where there a few things that I thought could have been done better? Sure, but they were minor and of less importance. There were really only one thing I would raise a finger at. At times it was a bit confusing, especially the belter language. I can understand not putting in subtitles or even have Miller translating directly simply to underscore that this is basically a wholly different culture on an asteroid deep into space, but still...

Oh yeah, another, albeit smaller, raised finger, perhaps a raised pinky. Have they scrapped Jared Harris? He's not mentioned on the cast list. If so, that would be shame because he's a brilliant actor who would definitely contribute positively to the show.

In any case, 1 awesome scifi miniseries (Ascension), two great scifi series (Killjoys and Dark Matter) and now the The Expanse, which shows all the hallmarks of becoming really good, in two years? This is a good time for SyFy.

This post has been edited by Primateus: 02 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

#56 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 02 December 2015 - 09:24 PM, said:

Oh yeah, another, albeit smaller, raised finger, perhaps a raised pinky. Have they scrapped Jared Harris? He's not mentioned on the cast list. If so, that would be shame because he's a brilliant actor who would definitely contribute positively to the show.

I think he's still in. His part will come in when Miller starts getting deeper into the Julie Mao case.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#57 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

Watched it, liked it.

Am a little further along in the book and I think they did a nice job with what they kept and changed.

Minor nitpick maybe, but not sure why they`re bothering with a handful of tall belters when the mass of crowd scene extras and one of their leads aren`t.

I`ll be watching the series (airing on Space channel in Canada, thankfully) ...depending on where im at with the book I may let it stack in the dvr til i`m done.

I cannot wait to see how the tv series does

Spoiler

because that scene in the book was riveting.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#58 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Minor nitpick maybe, but not sure why they`re bothering with a handful of tall belters when the mass of crowd scene extras and one of their leads aren`t.

Better than nothing? I guess they don't quite have the Lord of the Rings hobbit-height budget, and there are only so many uber-tall extras to be found. I do wish they had more of it so it was a bit more in-your-face, but I'll take what I can get, and the bar scene that they added where Miller and Havelock are discussing it was a good way to go at it from another angle.

Maybe they should have cast someone shorter as Havelock though to make all the other Ceres characters look taller? But then again, the actor playing Havelock is not that tall - 5'9" / 175cm (and Miller is 5'11" / 180cm). So if you imagine that Miller and all those extras are 6'4" and Havelock is a 6-ft Earther, it works. Problem is, unlike the LotR hobbits, the people of Ceres are surrounded by things that are built for them, so why should their doors or railings be too short for them? It all ends up looking "normal" because, well, it should look "normal".

It makes sense to me, anyways - the Belters that don't look any/much taller than normal are the ones who grew up in the 0.8G gravity of Ceres while the super tall and lanky Belters might have grown up in a space station or on a ship where the gravity wasn't constant or was usually only about 0.2G.

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:52 PM

View PostD, on 04 December 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

Better than nothing? I guess they don't quite have the Lord of the Rings hobbit-height budget, and there are only so many uber-tall extras to be found. I do wish they had more of it so it was a bit more in-your-face, but I'll take what I can get, and the bar scene that they added where Miller and Havelock are discussing it was a good way to go at it from another angle.

Maybe they should have cast someone shorter as Havelock though to make all the other Ceres characters look taller? But then again, the actor playing Havelock is not that tall - 5'9" / 175cm (and Miller is 5'11" / 180cm). So if you imagine that Miller and all those extras are 6'4" and Havelock is a 6-ft Earther, it works. Problem is, unlike the LotR hobbits, the people of Ceres are surrounded by things that are built for them, so why should their doors or railings be too short for them? It all ends up looking "normal" because, well, it should look "normal".

It makes sense to me, anyways - the Belters that don't look any/much taller than normal are the ones who grew up in the 0.8G gravity of Ceres while the super tall and lanky Belters might have grown up in a space station or on a ship where the gravity wasn't constant or was usually only about 0.2G.

The tall public speaker and the guy on the hook practically looked odd for being so tall when everyone else isn't, and that scene at the bar explaining Miller's height just felt tacked on. I suspect non-reader viewers wouldn't have even noticed if they hadn't tried to make it a thing.

I suspect it will be one of those things in a scifi show where they just drop the point after a while and hope no one notices.

It's a nitpick, i enjoyed the premiere a lot.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#60 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 December 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

View PostD, on 04 December 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

The tall public speaker and the guy on the hook practically looked odd for being so tall when everyone else isn't, and that scene at the bar explaining Miller's height just felt tacked on. I suspect non-reader viewers wouldn't have even noticed if they hadn't tried to make it a thing.

I suspect it will be one of those things in a scifi show where they just drop the point after a while and hope no one notices.

It's a nitpick, i enjoyed the premiere a lot.

Yeah, it was unnecessary and I agree, it's a small enough nitpick that it doesn't really matter.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users