• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Destiny Bungie's FPS MMO

#41 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Funnily enough, this was my experience too. And the more people there are, the more likely you are to die before getting the super to complete. So the AOE vs gun thing is definitely a double-edged sword.

My main target with my super was anyone on an Interceptor. :) On First Light, I tended to save it for anyone using that, or an opportune moment down by A if it came up (as that point seemed to be more prone to be people sitting in a group on the capture zone). Otherwise I just dropped it on anyone doing an admirable job of holding the control point I was aiming for. XD

I have a video of me just jumping in front of this guy in an interceptor, and he was backing up shooting missiles at me (instead of the ground under me when I landed) and he kept backing up and he backed off the level.

That's right. I'm more OP than an Interceptor.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#42 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Funnily enough, this was my experience too. And the more people there are, the more likely you are to die before getting the super to complete. So the AOE vs gun thing is definitely a double-edged sword.

My main target with my super was anyone on an Interceptor. :p On First Light, I tended to save it for anyone using that, or an opportune moment down by A if it came up (as that point seemed to be more prone to be people sitting in a group on the capture zone). Otherwise I just dropped it on anyone doing an admirable job of holding the control point I was aiming for. XD

I have a video of me just jumping in front of this guy in an interceptor, and he was backing up shooting missiles at me (instead of the ground under me when I landed) and he kept backing up and he backed off the level.

That's right. I'm more OP than an Interceptor.

:)

That is pretty awesome. Some people really did suck with that vehicle. XD

The funny thing was, you could go an entire match where no-one got on it. Though, again, some people never figured out that you could summon your Sparrow on that map, either. >.>

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#43 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

The funny thing was, you could go an entire match where no-one got on it. Though, again, some people never figured out that you could summon your Sparrow on that map, either. >.>

Did you guys figure out how the scoring system actually worked?

It wasn't like 'normal' domination, where holding points slowly ticks off the enemy score or adds to yours. Rather the 'score' was based on points gotten from kills. And you got extra points the more points you held. So a kill was 100, headshot was +15, other stuff was + whatever, then if you have 1 point, its +50, 2 points is +100, 3 is +150.

It was kind of a hybrid of deathmatch and domination.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#44 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

Did you guys figure out how the scoring system actually worked?

It wasn't like 'normal' domination, where holding points slowly ticks off the enemy score or adds to yours. Rather the 'score' was based on points gotten from kills. And you got extra points the more points you held. So a kill was 100, headshot was +15, other stuff was + whatever, then if you have 1 point, its +50, 2 points is +100, 3 is +150.

It was kind of a hybrid of deathmatch and domination.

Yeah, I knew that the control points modified the kill scores, (and that Bungie were going away from "pure" gametypes of yore), but I never figured out the exact mechanics. It was quite disconcerting at times to be holding all the control points for 90% of the match, but still be neck-and-neck with the scores because the other team were racking up a lot of kills and ignoring the captures a bit. :S

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#45 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yea we had a game we barely won because my friend got off his warlock ulti into a group of enemies as they were leaving A, and they had all 3 control points. The points from the kills and the bonuses from the 4 kill streak put us just barely over the top.

Got messages after that game that we were cheaters :)

#46 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

I do get the feeling that a lot of people didn't know how it worked. XD I guess that might show that the balance needs a bit of tweaking to favour the team with the control points a bit more, but at the same time, I'm not sure; I think being able to win through kills shows just how much more kills you got than the other team. At the same time, if you got heaps of kills but the other team still held the objectives...hmm...

How about you? Did you think it was the right balance in that regard?

Shinrei said:

#47 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

I think if the modes are explained better, it would be fine. I was getting really frustrated when my team was owning 2/3 nodes for entire battles and almost losing/losing, until I figured out how the actual scoring was done in that mode.

#48 User is offline   jonny_anonymous 

• Blind Jester of High House Shadow
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Comics, Horror, Games, Movies, Reading.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

Loved the Beta, I was glued to it the whole time. Can't wait till the full game is out.
“You make worlds, worlds inside your head and worlds outside,
but only the one inside counts for anything.
It’s where you find peace,
acceptance.
Worth.”

#49 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

So this is coming out tomorrow. Had no plans to purchase it, but I guess there are a couple of deals running that are making me reconsider. Best Buy and several other retailers are running promotions to get a free game with the purchase of any type of Xbox One system. No restrictions on the game you can choose (other than it can't be put toward a pre-order). Also, I heard you get into their gamer club or some such free if you buy a One/PS4, which gives you 20% off all game purchases at Best Buy for 2 years.

Still not entirely convinced, though. Destiny has had some laughable PR, but despite the naysayers it still looks pretty good. My real concern is with purchasing the console itself. This generation really hasn't impressed me, and there's been a very notable lack of interesting games.

EDIT: Well, I did it. Got the $400 Kinectless version that was also bundled with Madden 15. Not big on Sports games, but hey a free game is a free game. And for my actual free game I went with Wolfenstein - I've heard some good things about it and someone on these forums was gushing with praise for the game.

I still plan on purchasing Destiny, but I learned there's a digital deal where if you purchase it on last gen you get a current gen digital version for free as well. I figure it'll be nice to have two copies as this will allow my girlfriend to play it on the 360.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 08 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#50 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

See, I was going to say that this generation is going to be around long enough that lack of impression so far is kind of meaningless. But seeing as you've come to that conclusion yourself... XD

Shinrei said:

#51 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

...you don't do credit or EFTPOS? XD

Shinrei said:

#52 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:53 AM

Really? I played for more than 7 hours last night with zero disconnects or problems. My mate only dropped once, too. :p

Shinrei said:

#53 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

Briar. Seriously. I don't know if you're new to online videogames but this happens every time a new online game is launched. Only exception I can think of is probably COD.

The infrastructure made for this stuff just isn't capable of handling 5-10 million people simultaneously slamming their server. No matter how much surplus power they buy for launch, something eventually always goes wrong, if not globally then locally.

Take a deep breath, realise that buying a game (especially and online one) on day one is a gamble and come back tomorrow.

#54 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

Well, now you know and knowing is half the battle. (GI JOE!!!)

#55 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Are you still getting disconnected from the server on the PS4 side of things? I've played for about 4 hours today on the Xbox One and have had 0 issues.

That said, it's really not all that surprising that there are some issues, as others have said. There's only so much a company can realistically do in order to prepare for so many people trying to access the game at the exact same time. Think of it as a grand opening for a new restaurant that everyone wants to try. They're not going to hire waiters/cooks and construct the restaurant based on how many costumers they're going to have on the very first day. As a result, there's going to be some hiccups and long wait times to start off with, but after the initial craze everything is going to (more or less) run smoothly.

I'm a level 7 warlock. I like the progression and skill system. I was worried that it would be like Borderlands, where each class is really only separated by a single ability and some stat bonuses, but it's a bit deeper than that. Also pleasantly surprised by the map size so far. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up after a few weeks of playing, but there seems to be a good amount of space for exploration. Ran into quite a few caves/basements full of ?? level guys that my weapons couldn't even touch.

Story-wise it's a bit lacking at the moment. I feel like the game could use some more exposition. I'm just not all that immersed in the world yet. Who are these different enemies I'm fight, what's their background? I know I can read about it online, but I'd like it if the game actually explored that.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 10 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

~Steven Erikson

#56 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

You know what irks me about this game's story (or lack thereof) so far? That Steven Erikson said he was working with something on Bungie, but that ended up falling through. Given that Destiny is the only thing Bungie has been doing for the past several years, it seems likely that he was being commissioned to help work on the story. I can't help but wonder if things fell through because the people at Bungie have a very elementary idea of storytelling. Just speculation, but regardless, I thought there'd be more substance to the world. The Tower is a great example. It's the hub for the game, yet not a single NPC there means anything to me.
~Steven Erikson

#57 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

O.O

That's weird. Google it? XD

Again, I've played for more than six hours straight today on the Xbox One, zero issues. Not even a single issue with my friends disconnecting.

Then again, I do believe there are regional servers, so Australia probably has more capacity per player than the US might. Plus, Xbox live has always been better than the PSN in terms of stability.

I'm liking it. Not sure how much longevity it will have, but so far so good. Obviously there's locked off areas in the maps for post-20 content, too.

I think my biggest issue at the moment is the lack of options to punch above your level a bit. There aren't any items to boost your output or armour, and most all items are level locked within their effective range, so you can never have an 'oh shit' moment that you can pull through via skill - if the enemy is more than a couple of levels above you, it's going to kill you. If it's any more than that, you literally can't defeat them because you do no damage to them. I find that a bit frustrating, because I think you should be able to win some of those fights (with great difficulty) by playing smart and using valuable resources.
And it's quite a narrow band too - we were in a level 12 strike mission at level 10 near the end, and couldn't even damage half the enemies, let alone make meaningful headway (especially seeing as the enemies spawned continuously - there was no respite to be had where we could actuality start damaging the boss).

But that's just one minor issue. Otherwise it's been fun so far, if nothing spectacular.

Shinrei said:

#58 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:45 AM

Actually, the world building is my biggest complaint. Not so much the story per say, but the lack of exposition.

Your character has every excuse to need a bit of explanation around the place, and you have a Ghost who's perfectly placed to provide it.
Instead, you get nothing. Terms and concepts get thrown around like your character should know them. But they don't. Neither do we. So why is there no explanation?

This is a large world, which everyone is new to. I don't like to be force fed this stuff, but I think some of it needs more detail. Even if it was optional in the game. Your character has been dead for who knows how many centuries? It is noted in the first five minutes that your character will need to get on top of the new stuff. From then on, you're treated as if you have been up to speed from the start.

Not sure if it gets better, but so far the story is meaningless.

Shinrei said:

#59 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

A quick Google shows that the Centipede Error code arises when your access to the servers is being blocked, which would be an issue on your end. Do you use your own personal network, or are you playing on a college campus or somewhere that multiple non-household users are all using the same internet?

Here's a possible solution I found online: http://www.bungie.ne...p/Article/11875

It won't do much for you if you don't have control over those settings, though.
~Steven Erikson

#60 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

That's what my brother is getting at university, which really sucks. No control over it and has no idea about how to get around it.

Share this topic:

• 46 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users