• 46 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Destiny Bungie's FPS MMO

#21 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Also, Sparrows can be launched like rockets (and can kill other Guardians in PvE this way) - this is both hilarious and epic.

You can also do awesome tricks on them.

Honestly, I feel like I've spent more time in this game dancing/doing crazy things than playing it normally (though, I haven't). Getting into the forbidden areas, or using the only mission available to explore the entire Moon environment (none of which was barred off beyond a few leads-to-boss-fights-type doors) just for kicks was really cool. Still not sure why they bothered sealing off that area under the Refinery/beyond the Forgotten Shore with level ?? enemies - it just loops around, there was nothing in there that we shouldn't have seen (though there is an extra Dead Ghost to retrieve beyond the Forgotten Shore's limit - just goes to show Bungie fully expected people to get past).

Also, @Apt - have you been playing with friends? Or solo? This game is built for coop. Solo is nowhere near as fun.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#22 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

I read somewhere that the idea was to have a low cap so people wouldn't have to grind for a long time before they could play with their friends. The idea was to have a lot of end game item upgrades to keep people interested in finding / earning better armor and weapons, like any MMO. Makes sense. I hope there isn't too much dlc support in that area though, because that ps4 exclusivity would suck for the xbox players.

#23 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Ah, I'd only heard that regarding the future cross-generational content...might've been the same place you heard about it, and I just missed it.

It makes sense, except once I maxed out my character and could no longer increase my abilities (sadly, the best abilities were apparently artificially restricted beyond a certain point) there was very little left to do. I hope they've got a *lot* of end-game upgrades and items to hunt, because end-game content in most MMOs is typically weak. I can see the potential for variety with the specific Crucible gear and stuff, I'm just not sure there's enough in the PvE to keep me interested without a lot of events/unique things to get. I'd rather they give an insta-leveller item out in six months or a year to get new players up to, say, level ten or something quicker, than have no progression other than items at such a low level.

I mean...seriously...it took less than a day of play to get to level 8. That's worse than CoD in terms of rate of progression! XD (Although I do suspect the leveling will be slower in the final build/beyond about level 10 at least...I hope...)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#24 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Tried to play the beta on my PS3, got disconnected every 5 minutes. Gave up after less than an hour.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#25 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostDefiance, on 27 July 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

Tried to play the beta on my PS3, got disconnected every 5 minutes. Gave up after less than an hour.

Wow. I think I got disconnected maybe five times over the whole week on the X1 side of things; it was ridiculously stable, really. Compared to the Reach beta, it was practically flawless XD. Wonder if that's a network/last gen issue, or just unlucky timing for you....

Shinrei said:

#26 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:39 AM

View PostSilencer, on 28 July 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Wow. I think I got disconnected maybe five times over the whole week on the X1 side of things; it was ridiculously stable, really. Compared to the Reach beta, it was practically flawless XD. Wonder if that's a network/last gen issue, or just unlucky timing for you....

They were doing stability/testing stuff today. They had a message up about it. I got D/Ced more today than I had the entire previous experience, and got booted out of a lot of PVP matches and stuff. That said, its a beta.

Also, the moon mission was interesting, as was exploring the moon. A friend and I roamed through it for an hour. Finding an Ogre we could kill (or 4 of them) was a lot of fun, as was finding the 'jade rabbit' chest and having 3/5 Golden Moon Chests done with only the first mission being available.

That said, did you notice that there were 2 level 7 missions? I would guess leveling up slows dramatically. Plus it appears there are going to be 2 (or more? maybe you can only have 2 slotted) 'subclasses' that you'll need to level.

I assume the beta characters are going to be wiped, but has anyone heard anything official either way on that?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#27 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

View PostObdigore, on 28 July 2014 - 05:39 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 28 July 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

They were doing stability/testing stuff today. They had a message up about it. I got D/Ced more today than I had the entire previous experience, and got booted out of a lot of PVP matches and stuff. That said, its a beta.

Ah, that might have something to do with it. I had just assumed Defiance had tried before the final day, was all.

Also, the moon mission was interesting, as was exploring the moon. A friend and I roamed through it for an hour. Finding an Ogre we could kill (or 4 of them) was a lot of fun, as was finding the 'jade rabbit' chest and having 3/5 Golden Moon Chests done with only the first mission being available.

Yeah, my buddy and I kept thinking we were going to meet more ?? level guys or block off areas, but getting to the bottom of the Hellmouth and finding the Ogre and the obviously-pre-raid-boss door was great. It was awesome that they didn't close any of it off.
Just makes it stranger the parts of the Old Russia map that they did restrict, given there was nothing back there. XD

That said, did you notice that there were 2 level 7 missions? I would guess leveling up slows dramatically. Plus it appears there are going to be 2 (or more? maybe you can only have 2 slotted) 'subclasses' that you'll need to level.

I think it will only be two. Based on the beta restriction of the second class being level 15, I would guess that you can only have two going at any one time. If they stick with the level limit on that, though, it won't be adding much to end-game, just start of game choices, I think. You'll probably have to Seal your first sub-class prior to getting a second one, though...

I assume the beta characters are going to be wiped, but has anyone heard anything official either way on that?

I don't think there has been an official word either way - but considering they already wiped the data clean off the Destiny app/Bnet pages, I think it's safe to say they're gone forever. I put a bunch of level 9 stuff in my vault though, just in case.

A lot of people seemed to be assuming the opposite, which is weird, considering that almost never happens. Having played the beta will give us a bit of an advantage anyway, already knowing most of the basics and the first couple of maps. Having level 8 characters to start with would just be silly.

Then again, my shared Glim total was at like 5k...after I bought two ships and a Sparrow. There was really nothing else to spend the money on, except Engrams, and you found those in the game too. (Then again, you got a free upgraded Sparrow for finding all 5 Golden Chests, too... ;))

I kept getting those Ether Seeds. Those things boost your money to some ridiculous heights. I still had like 3 of the things left over at the end - I'm pretty sure I could have made something like another 20k with a bit of careful farming. :S Nothing costs that much. Nothing. XD

Also, collecting stuff seems useful, but I hope it's greatly expanded in the future - I know a lot of the Legendary weapons require materials for their upgrades, but collecting Spinmetal and stuff was just a slow way to acquire money through the Material Exchange item with that Crucible Quartermaster. :S

Shinrei said:

#28 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yea I bought 3 ships and a new sparrow, and still had like 4k gold left over.

I had also reached level 1 vanguard, level 1 arena, and level 1 Iron Wolves (w/e they are called) reps...

PvP is... odd. snipers are super OP, its like waist and up 1shot kills. Hopefully that changes (at least for Titans) as we get more armor. It didn't feel like there was any real change when killing titans or warlocks or hunters.

Also, hunter golden gun is super OP in pvp.

Ugh I can't decide if I want them to wipe characters or not. I made a stupid looking robot face, so would probably delete it and re-roll anyway with something I like, but I don't know if other people should have to start over too.

I saved a couple level 10 pieces of blue gear I got, and I have a level 20 hand cannon I got from the Crucible.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 28 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#29 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostObdigore, on 28 July 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

Yea I bought 3 ships and a new sparrow, and still had like 4k gold left over.

I had also reached level 1 vanguard, level 1 arena, and level 1 Iron Wolves (w/e they are called) reps...

PvP is... odd. snipers are super OP, its like waist and up 1shot kills. Hopefully that changes (at least for Titans) as we get more armor. It didn't feel like there was any real change when killing titans or warlocks or hunters.

I didn't have that much problem with snipers. I know they're rebalancing the Interceptor (it was way OP) so I'm sure they'll work out the kinks a bit. I too felt like there was zero difference between the classes. That being said, one of the higher tier jump abilities for Warlocks is "Blink" - if that has no cooldown, it will be imba as all getout (teleport+shotguns+melee = instadoom and impossible to hit by anyone, ever). As will the Hunter's Bladedancer subclass, with it's short-range melee teleport ability...

Also, hunter golden gun is super OP in pvp.

This. So much this. It's not just OP, though, it's OP for people who are doing well in the game already. You get like three free kills as someone who has already charged your Super. That's not too bad if you're doing OK, but if you're already steamrolling the other team it's just sad. Similar problem to a lot of CoD perks, granted, but it is balanced between the Warlock and Titan who both have AoE, slow-moving/warmup required Supers. The Hunter gets a freaking Instagib. You can get a lot more kills if you happen across a squad of enemies around a Control point or something with the other two, but that rarely happens, even less so when you also have a Super charged ready to go, and there's the animation vulnerability which means you can die while in the middle of using it and get no kills.
The Golden Gun has no such drawbacks or vulnerabilities. ;)
I assume it might balance out with the other subclass abilities but it seems unlikely.

Ugh I can't decide if I want them to wipe characters or not. I made a stupid looking robot face, so would probably delete it and re-roll anyway with something I like, but I don't know if other people should have to start over too.

I saved a couple level 10 pieces of blue gear I got, and I have a level 20 hand cannon I got from the Crucible.

I'd rather be able to just keep my gear than my character. Even if you can't use it until you level a lot, at least you can deconstruct it for money or have some nice Uncommon or Rare weapons waiting for you once you get back up to speed.

Honestly, I don't think my beta character was much of an investment. I'd feel like a cheat if I got to skip the level 1-8 period if it's going to be harder than in the beta, and if it's not harder, it won't matter anyway because you can do it on day one with ease. XD

Shinrei said:

#30 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

I ran into a single sniper yesterday that was putting up 40+ a round, and we couldn't get anywhere near any control points. The only time he died one round (on Venus) was when me and 3 others rushed him. 3 of us died but the fourth killed him (probably because he had to reload). It was like he had a perm golden gun.

I feel like a 'fair' change to the hunter pvp ability is to give it 6 shots instead of 3, but it does 51% of an enemies health with each shot unless it is a headshot.

oh, I also went 29-0 in an interceptor on the Moon. That was fun. Halfway through the match the other team just ran away instead of even trying to fight me.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 28 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

#31 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, actually, I did notice that some matches could go really one-sided sometimes. It wasn't common, but when it happened it was bad. I'm far from one of the best players in the Beta, but at times I sure as hell felt like the other team all had their controllers on sensitivity -10 with their control scheme flipped. XD

Incidentally, below is a great summary of the pros and cons of the Destiny beta - I pretty much agree 100% with all of these. There isn't much on the PvP side of things, it's focused on the main singleplayer modes. Then again, the biggest flaws with the PvP were the Interceptor being unbalanced (already confirmed by Bungie as being fixed for launch), and the Golden Gun. I expect after launch more tweaking will be required to fully balance some of the other abilities, though, so nothing wrong with waiting for the full game to show us what needs to change there.

Game Informer on Beta pros and cons

Shinrei said:

#32 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

And a bit of expansion on end-game content from Bungie.

Not the most reassuring news in the world, but at least we know level 20 won't be the cap. Looks like they're expecting 0-20 to take about twenty hours (this would be fairly consistent with the Beta), and then for things to really kick off. Might even have the PvP locked out until level 20? Would explain all those Crucible weapons with level 20 reqs...

IGN article.

I'm not entirely sold on friends-only, no-matchmaking, must-have-6-players, but I'm gonna guess that Bungie aren't doing it like that for the lulz. Guess I'll just have to beg more of you lot to add me when the game comes out. :)

Shinrei said:

#33 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Yea I saw that before I got to work (Can't get to gaming sites at work and I'm to lazy to go around the firewall).

I like the no friends thing, but I don't at the same time because of my time schedule I doubt I'll be on when 6 of my other friends have a couple hours.

I'm wondering if 20 is the level cap at release, then as they release new (hopefully free?) content every month or two they will increase the level cap? That's what I'd expect.

#34 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yea I saw that before I got to work (Can't get to gaming sites at work and I'm to lazy to go around the firewall).

I like the no friends thing, but I don't at the same time because of my time schedule I doubt I'll be on when 6 of my other friends have a couple hours.

I'm wondering if 20 is the level cap at release, then as they release new (hopefully free?) content every month or two they will increase the level cap? That's what I'd expect.

Hah, my last boss gave me complete internet access so that I Google how to do stuff in Excel spreadsheets when we couldn't remember/figure it out ourselves. That's not really something I *need* for my base job description, it just happens because of the other responsibilities I have. :)

And hey, you never know, I might be online in your free time. XD
I guess the thing with it is that it's meant to be large-scale. Like, takes a couple of hours scale. That means it's a pretty big commitment to make right from the outset. For me, that'll probably mean weekends only. So then it's a case of "which weekend are six of my friends good to play a Destiny raid?", which sounds like it is going to be a pain in the ass to organise. *sigh*

Shinrei said:

#35 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Hah, my last boss gave me complete internet access so that I Google how to do stuff in Excel spreadsheets when we couldn't remember/figure it out ourselves. That's not really something I *need* for my base job description, it just happens because of the other responsibilities I have. :)

I guess the thing with it is that it's meant to be large-scale. Like, takes a couple of hours scale. That means it's a pretty big commitment to make right from the outset. For me, that'll probably mean weekends only. So then it's a case of "which weekend are six of my friends good to play a Destiny raid?", which sounds like it is going to be a pain in the ass to organise. *sigh*

Is this some kind of passive aggressive way of asking me to add you to my Friends on xboxlive?

:p

#36 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 31 July 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Is this some kind of passive aggressive way of asking me to add you to my Friends on xboxlive?

:p

Aggressively Passive, dammit! Get it right! :p

I was joking with one of my RL friends that Stalker, who I have on Live already, would be forced to join our Destiny clan thingy by virtue of me threatening to deny him access to Malazan. XD "Join, or no more forums for you! Rawr!"

>.>

Although I have no idea what your gamertag is. Mine is now (don't laugh):

KawaiiYetFierce

It's a roundabout joke with slight reference to Dresden ("Tiny, but fierce!") combined with what was at the time the most hilarious mental image. :p

Shinrei said:

#37 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

My Live GT is quite shocking. You'll never be able to guess it.

I've got to add Stalker back on mine too.

Edit: Is there a clan thing in Destiny?

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 31 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

#38 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I'll play with you Silencer. Honestly, I doubt my friends would be able to progress far in a raid due to skill and time constraints. The usual grind for better items in MMOs isn't something that they are familiar with either. The only reason my usual group of 4 wins in FPSs (on and offline) is because my brother and I can carry most of the time when we're both on.

And Obdi, we are still friends as of yesterday.

Interestingly, I didn't feel the golden gun was too OP compared to the other supers. The warlock and titan powers each activated faster, had an aoe, no time limit because they were one shot, and tended to get multiple kills. My experience as a lvl 8 hunter was that every super was better than mine. Maybe I was using the golden gun poorly but watching the gameplay, it felt like the weakest and I got killed more by everything else.

#39 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostStalker, on 31 July 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

I'll play with you Silencer. Honestly, I doubt my friends would be able to progress far in a raid due to skill and time constraints. The usual grind for better items in MMOs isn't something that they are familiar with either. The only reason my usual group of 4 wins in FPSs (on and offline) is because my brother and I can carry most of the time when we're both on.

Interestingly, I didn't feel the golden gun was too OP compared to the other supers. The warlock and titan powers each activated faster, had an aoe, no time limit because they were one shot, and tended to get multiple kills. My experience as a lvl 8 hunter was that every super was better than mine. Maybe I was using the golden gun poorly but watching the gameplay, it felt like the weakest and I got killed more by everything else.

We must never be on at the same time then, because I never see you.

I ended up, as I played more, using my HULK SMAAAAASH on 1 person at times, because if I didn't I'd go an entire match without using it, because I'd never see 2+ people together in range for it.

And I always just got randomly wtfpwned by the Golden Gun.

I've been killed (and killed people) while doing the lunge for the titan super, too. I know the hunter can die while using the golden gun, but it's just point and shoot instead of having to fly through the air towards your enemies who may have a charge rifle charging or a shotgun ready for you.

#40 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

My Live GT is quite shocking. You'll never be able to guess it.

I've got to add Stalker back on mine too.

Edit: Is there a clan thing in Destiny?

Yes, yes there is: http://www.bungie.net/en/Clans/Popular

Yay! Though to be fair, you are scarily good. :)

As for the Golden Gun, it's interesting - my friend who played Hunter primarily had the exact same experience as you. And yet I, as a Warlock, regularly saw Hunters racking up two or three kills by themselves using it. I wonder if it's one of those headspace things - sometimes it just clicks, other times you don't use it well because you're not expecting it to do well?

View PostObdigore, on 31 July 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

We must never be on at the same time then, because I never see you.

I ended up, as I played more, using my HULK SMAAAAASH on 1 person at times, because if I didn't I'd go an entire match without using it, because I'd never see 2+ people together in range for it.

And I always just got randomly wtfpwned by the Golden Gun.

I've been killed (and killed people) while doing the lunge for the titan super, too. I know the hunter can die while using the golden gun, but it's just point and shoot instead of having to fly through the air towards your enemies who may have a charge rifle charging or a shotgun ready for you.

Funnily enough, this was my experience too. And the more people there are, the more likely you are to die before getting the super to complete. So the AOE vs gun thing is definitely a double-edged sword.

My main target with my super was anyone on an Interceptor. :p On First Light, I tended to save it for anyone using that, or an opportune moment down by A if it came up (as that point seemed to be more prone to be people sitting in a group on the capture zone). Otherwise I just dropped it on anyone doing an admirable job of holding the control point I was aiming for. XD

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 46 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users