• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Destiny Bungie's FPS MMO

#61 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'm a level 3 Titan, only played a couple of hours so far on the Xbox One, but really enjoying it. Especially punching Fallen in the face....awesome!

I'm Sgt N00baroni on xbox live if anybody wants to play Destiny or Titanfall :p

This post has been edited by Grimjust Bearegular: 10 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#62 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Did you open your ports and reset your modem and router? This really sounds like a problem on your end at this point.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#63 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

Sounds like a case of PEBKAC. Posted Image

#64 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

I don't think it's an issue with the servers. I can't speak for the PSN side of things myself, but I have two friends with PS4s and they've both been playing the game all day.

Opening ports will make sure the servers can access you. Do this through your router settings and firewall.
~Steven Erikson

#65 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:04 AM

So I see Obdi is already post level 20. I'm nearly there at level 19 and 90% experience.

Game is fun. Story is actually pretty terribad. I didn't exactly expect a great tale here, but this is actually nonsensical. At times it really feels like they've played roulette to pick three random words and stuck them together. XD

Music is awesome. Not quite a Halo score, but pretty good.

Multiplayer is ok. Not sure how some of the balance is handled in terms of skills though. Some abilities from second class can be easily OP I think...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#66 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

@bk - there is no way that's a server issue. The internet would be on fire with complaints.
Try redoing your ps4 internet setup. Then reinstall Destiny. See if that helps. See if you can connect to anything else online with the ps4 also - like the ps store or something.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#67 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

@BK, this is what Bungie is saying on the issue (with regard to some people on university campuses not being able to play it, but the issue seems very similar to yours):

The issue seems to track back to the "centipede" error code which apparently has to do with a networking problem.

According to the Error Code: Centipede page, Bungie is doing some testing to resolve the issue. They also recommend opening a series of ports, detailed on the page, on institutional networks.

College students running into the issue are less than pleased with the day-one bump in the road.

"After installing the game twice and thoroughly testing my connection I have deduced that if you are getting the centipede error code like I am that Bungie has not adjusted for University hubs or server connection," wrote user John on the official Bungie help forums. "No one on my floor can play and are getting the same error code. My brother is not at University and is getting the Cattle error. I'm not sure what is going on but I hope these issues are resolved as soon as possible because I'm already weary of this purchase. I love Bungie but mass server issues and error codes on the first night sends a bad message. Furthermore there is no support to assist. I will see what happens tomorrow but my guess is that these issues will not be fully resolved any time soon. It also seems odd that one specific code is designed for University hub/server errors. Who else are having these issues? What is happening elsewhere?"

We've reached out to Bungie and Activision for an update on the issue and how widespread it is and will update this story if they respond.

Update: Bungie officials posted an update this afternoon about the issue to their website:

Hey, Bungie Community.

Day One of Destiny is behind us. We're still hard at work to make sure all of you have a great experience.

Thanks in part to chatter on our forums, we're aware of some networking issues being experienced on college and university campuses. Our team is engaged in diagnosing the cause, but you might also be able to help.

Members of the Bungie team will be contacting some of you directly to troubleshoot. Keep an eye on your Bungie.net inbox to see if you've been drafted as a test subject. If you don't hear from us, we still love you and we're still working to get you into orbit.

Please continue to report any issues you experience on this forum.

Watch this space for updates.

So it seems like maybe waiting a little longer until Bungie resolves this might be the way to go? Unless of course your PS4 simply can't connect to the internet at all, which would be a wider issue.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 11 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#68 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

In the comments below the article which I posted above (from Polygon), there are also people saying they have the issue but aren't on a campus.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#69 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

Try getting in contact with Bungie customer service. On their forums and reddit they've said their only priority at this time is getting everyone affected by issues online.

Anyway, just beat the "story" and figured I'd share my thoughts.

Destiny is a fun game. There was no way it could ever live up to the hype surrounding it, but it's definitely an enjoyable experience. At the same time, it's nothing special. Too often, I find myself thinking "this is cool, but if they just did this it would be so much better..."

Let's start with the story. It's fucking awful. Holy shit. It's not like the Halo games were anything special in that regard, but comparatively Steven Erikson to some girl's Twilight fanfic. The game does absolutely nothing to immerse you in its world. I don't care about the setting. I don't care about the city. I don't care about the Traveler. I don't care about the enemies. I don't even know why the hell I'm fighting. I don't care, because I don't know anything.

Yeah, there are the grimoire cards you unlock throughout the game, and I'm sure they add a little flavor to the world. But I shouldn't have to go to Bungie's website just to experience some semblance of world building. Not to mention the equivalent of wiki entries do nothing to get me interested in the world.

Mission structure is about as creative...actually, no. I can't even say the word creative, that gives the game too much credit. Run from point A to point B, use Ghost, fight off waves of enemies, repeat. That's it. Thankfully, the combat is enjoyable and the enemies can be fun to fight. That said, they're nothing compared to what Bungie has done in the past. If you've played a Halo game, you know the enemies have personality. Not the case here.

And what the hell is with the complete lack of microphone communication? I have to be in a Fireteam? Who's awful idea was that? This means that, in PvP, you can't even fucking communicate with your own team. When I'm in the open world, or just chilling in the Tower, I can't strike up conversation with people. This is supposed to be a social game, so why is it so god damn hard to communicate with people?

Armor/weapon skins are all too similar so far, but I have a feeling things will be a little better at max level with the different gear sets and being able to dye your armor.

Once again, I will say that I'm enjoying the game. Most notably, the Strikes have been a lot of fun. But in terms of creating a long-lasting and memorable experience that I'm going to want to return to months, even years, from now, I think Bungie really dropped the ball.
~Steven Erikson

#70 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

Yup. Admittedly my friend and I are usually in Party chat anyway, but even we've noted the lack of communication. The few times we had to use in-game chat because Party chat was broken (lol), it was still basically the same thing, because no-one else could hear us anyway. :p

Amrour dyes are awesome, though. :p

Other than that, end-game is a freaking grind. Not only do you have to basically play raids constantly to level up, there is a weekly earn cap on the amount of Vanguard Marks you can get - so you can't even buy awesome stuff very easily if you grind the shit out of said raids.

On top of that, you need Vanguard Rank to buy the stuff AS WELL, and you don't earn that very fast, either.

It's a great gating mechanism for keeping the Legendary gear rare, but man, it's such an artificial grind. Level stops mattering because it's all about gear (basically, better gear levels you up, experience is useless for this (still ups your abilities, though)) and Glimmer (who named it that? What a terrible name for currency...) becomes meaningless. Ugprades cost at most a couple hundred, the only other things you'll ever spend it on now are those ammo restocks.

I have to say, I can't see how this game is the product of the same team that built Halo. Halo wasn't perfect, but at least I felt like I wanted to play the same missions all the time. These ones are just meaningless...and the absolute lack of in-game investment because nothing is explained is really disappointing. Even Mass Effect managed some really cool worldbuilding with those Codex entries. Why the Grimoire cards aren't in-game boggles my mind.

That being said, it's definitely fun. It's a good shooter. It just really, really drops the ball on the MMO/"Persistent Online World" aspect. Like...big time. I hope those two expansions are coming soon and fix some of this. O.o

Shinrei said:

#71 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:14 AM

Sounds like something to do with your Wifi network settings then, which makes sense given the issues with universities and such. It's probably a port/address issue. Hopefully Bungie comes up with a fix for it (though given Guild Wars 2 still won't run on NetGear D6300 routers without crashing, and how long NC Soft have had to look into that, it could be quite complicated for them to solve...).

Shinrei said:

#72 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

Oh; it should also be noted that playing in the Crucible is by far the most efficient way to level up. You get waaaaaaaaaay more experience over time than you do playing the Strike missions, and the random post-game loot can be pretty awesome (think Rare items and up). Compared to the time investment for Strikes...well...

The only downside is that you only earn Crucible Marks and Reputation. So while you get access (eventually) to the Crucible Gear, if you want something Vanguard you need to play the Strikes.

Also; not only is the hit detection/kill reporting a bit slow (it feels like lag, but it's not lag), the map design is sub-par for Bungie. Some of the maps are fine, others are just a nightmare (looking at you, First Light). It's worse in Control, where maps like Firebase Delphi have massive bias against one of the teams, but even in Clash it's pretty average. Almost like the need to design for verticality has been too difficult for them to pull off. (Which is silly, because Reach had jetpacks, and most maps worked well).
There's also the fact that you don't know the map ahead of time. In Reach, you could see the map, and then select your loadout accordingly. In this, you get dropped on the map and then start playing with no chance to really adjust your gear. This means that while I might love me some shotguns on, say, Firebase Delphi, I'm not going to want one so much on First Light (being as it's a sniper's paradise).

I'm wondering if this game needed more time between Beta and release. It feels a bit...like it needed some more dev time after a couple of rounds of full criticism. A lot of it comes back to what Defiance said earlier - you find yourself going, "if they just did this, it would be so much better". And it's not complicated stuff, either. It's little things.
Even something as simple as the UI design - who thought it would be a good idea to wipe out the top third of your screen with "LEVEL UP!" when there are even odds that you're in the middle of a heated firefight and kind of, you know, NEED your motion tracker?

Also doesn't feel like there are enough maps at the moment. I think I've played on five so far. One Moon, one Mars, one Venus, and two (maybe three?) Earth. Most of them are interesting locations that I might like to know more about, but I can barely remember the names of three of them. XD

It's disappointing, but at this point I'm REALLY glad I did not over-hype for this. My first real exposure was the Beta, and that was enough to temper my expectations accordingly. So I'm enjoying it, but it's more a conceptual, "Bungie is better than this" disappointment.

...I blame Activision. >.>

Shinrei said:

#73 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

ERS Gunslinger if anyone wants to add me on Xbox Live.

I've done a little more PvP, seems pretty fun so far. I wonder what class balance is like, though. It seems like some of the super abilities (aka Titan) wouldn't be very good on any of the big maps.

Minor complaint: what the hell is up with the announcer? Could they have chosen anyone more lame?
~Steven Erikson

#74 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

Played a bit with stalker today. Good fun!

Shinrei said:

#75 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Yup! We did some pvp, some strikes, and I spent a lot of time reviving Silencer...

He switched to a new subclass in one of the hard strikes and was getting hurt without the training that gives extra armor and stuff. But then we destroyed the boss and had a blast anyway. Next time we want Obdi too, with all the insane gear to carry us to victory!

#76 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostStalker, on 14 September 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Yup! We did some pvp, some strikes, and I spent a lot of time reviving Silencer...

He switched to a new subclass in one of the hard strikes and was getting hurt without the training that gives extra armor and stuff. But then we destroyed the boss and had a blast anyway. Next time we want Obdi too, with all the insane gear to carry us to victory!

Destiny has an interesting endgame mechanic where it doesn't really work like that. All the gear (and light levels) just allow you to do your 'normal' damage to enemies that are the same 'level' as you are or below, or you start dropping 25% of your damage (it multiplies) by each level you are below the enemies, and you take more damage from higher level enemies (by the same amount) that you are levels below. So looking at that 28 heroic strike, and me at 27, I take 25% more damage, lose 25% of my damage just straight up, before counting all the modifiers. However, it seems that something like a level 27 doing a level 24 raid doesn't have such an advantage over those level 24 enemies.

But yea, if I'm on and you guys want to play just send me a message.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#77 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

We are xbox people, and have been for years and years. I remember playing modern warfare 2 with obdi and halo 3, reach with silencer.

#78 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostObdigore, on 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Destiny has an interesting endgame mechanic where it doesn't really work like that. All the gear (and light levels) just allow you to do your 'normal' damage to enemies that are the same 'level' as you are or below, or you start dropping 25% of your damage (it multiplies) by each level you are below the enemies, and you take more damage from higher level enemies (by the same amount) that you are levels below. So looking at that 28 heroic strike, and me at 27, I take 25% more damage, lose 25% of my damage just straight up, before counting all the modifiers. However, it seems that something like a level 27 doing a level 24 raid doesn't have such an advantage over those level 24 enemies.

Ah interesting. I wasn't sure exactly how that worked yet. I'm still trying to find the best way to gain light now. I did a little farming on earth and got a ton of blue engrams (three ships too!) but no real upgrades for my gear. Did some pvp without much armor success (though good weaps) and still need to get into the strikes more.

Any advice on what works best?

#79 User is offline   Defiance 

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

I've been farming high density enemy areas and doing chest runs in Old Russia. Have yet to see a legendary drop yet, whereas I've heard of people getting one or more in just an hour. That's RNG for ya.

I've heard leveling up the Engram Decipherer dude (I forget what his actual title is) can lead to some good gear. You spend your money on his green engrams (which can result in white, green, or blue gear; probably purple stuff too, but I haven't seen any). This gets you 10 rep per time with him. Deciphering blue engrams gives you 150. Every time you level up, you get some items from him in the mail, and I've heard there's a pretty good chance these can be legendaries.
~Steven Erikson

#80 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostStalker, on 15 September 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Ah interesting. I wasn't sure exactly how that worked yet. I'm still trying to find the best way to gain light now. I did a little farming on earth and got a ton of blue engrams (three ships too!) but no real upgrades for my gear. Did some pvp without much armor success (though good weaps) and still need to get into the strikes more.

Any advice on what works best?

I've seen it floated that the higher your light, the higher level/light gear drops for you in the world. I can't say if that is true or not, but I would recommend upgrading your blue gear when you unlock it because it often adds some light. its only like 10-12 light per level. As for getting legendaries, all of my legendary engrams have come up blue. What I did is get Vangard Rep to rank 2 and buy a piece of gear with 65 vanguard marks, then one of the pvp factions (I did dead orbit for story reasons) to rank 2, and you can use crucible marks (65 again) to buy another piece of gear. I then used motes of light to buy an exotic chest engram off Xur and was lucky enough for it to roll Titan. Then I got my helmet off a random blue. (I also have found a bunch of warlock and hunter blues/purples in my travels). I could have bought the legendary arms off Xur, but I had just bought the Vanguard Arms because it was the biggest upgrade for me.

I assume Xur will be back on Friday Morning this week and leave on Sunday Morning again. Save up your Strange Coins (armor is 13/weapon was 23) and Motes (exotic chest engram was 23) to purchase your legendaries.

I was doing a chest circuit on Mars this morning and finally found a rare ship, still haven't found any kind of different ghost skin though.

Anyway my main problems right now are Ascendant Shards/Energy. I need 24 to upgrade my exotic chest and 18 to upgrade my legendaries (each), and I've found 7, total, so far. You are supposed to get them for 'winning in the crucible, raids, and other things'. Best way I've found to get them is to destroy legendaries.

edit: yes, leveling up your engram guy and he will send you a 'care package' each time you level him up with a chance of 1-4 legendary engrams in it. I've got him at 13 I think so far...

TL:DR - You can assure yourself a couple purps each week if you put the time in with vanguard/crucible marks and reputation. You can buy exotics with strange coins/motes of light. I don't know which way is the 'best'. I would suggest you also, if you hit 24, try to get into a raid this week. There is a whole new 'tier' of gear called 'raid gear' that can only be gotten there, so I guess we will see how good it is.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 16 September 2014 - 03:57 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

Share this topic:

• 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users