• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Destiny Bungie's FPS MMO

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Don't know if there's enough buzz about this game that it deserves its own topic yet but I just saw a video compiling all the information available around the product so far:

Destiny is probably my most anticipated game this year. It had sort of fallen off my radar but this video reminded me of why I was so excited originally.

Since there won't be a PC version, I reckon that this will be the game that makes me buy a PS4.

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I am very excited for this game but who is this guy? He is drinking the cool aid hard!

Briar King you know this game is available on everything right

#3 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

My most anticipated game is definitely Final Fantasy X HD for my vita and PS3 (cuz i love it!) and then Watch Dogs, which will look amazing on my new 144HZ Ben Q Monitor! I would love to play Destiny, but its an MMO style game isn't it? I played WOW alot a few years ago and it took WAY too much time to do anything. This is the thing that puts me off Destiny :-(
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostCause, on 12 March 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

I am very excited for this game but who is this guy? He is drinking the cool aid hard!

"Everything" is a bit loose. Consoles only. No PCs, and (of course) no handhelds. :)

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 12 March 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

My most anticipated game is definitely Final Fantasy X HD for my vita and PS3 (cuz i love it!) and then Watch Dogs, which will look amazing on my new 144HZ Ben Q Monitor! I would love to play Destiny, but its an MMO style game isn't it? I played WOW alot a few years ago and it took WAY too much time to do anything. This is the thing that puts me off Destiny :-(

This is not really a typical MMO. It's a shooter, for a start, and it's by Bungie. While I'm sure time and dedication will speed your character's progress, it's not the "sink endless money and time into it to get anywhere" type of MMO, from everything revealed so far.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I also just hope it's a little more like Halo than borderlands. Is Borderlands fun? Hell yes!But Destiny graphics look hyper-real, I would find it strange to shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle and do 10% damage instead of seeing his head explode. Of course there must be a balance between the RPG mechanics and a shooter but except for bossess or strong units that visually look like they can take it I hope the game behaves somewhat like a shooter and less like a pure statistic calculator.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 12 March 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

Yep I'm trying to sell one of my cars so I can buy the PS4 myself.

This game and The Order 1886 are console decides for me.

I am looking forward to The Order as well but it really only looks like a more perty generic third person shooter to me. In that regard, when talking shooters, I am far more interested in Wolfenstein. I love thats series. I never get tired of mowing down droves of cartoon Nazis.

View PostCause, on 12 March 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

No doubt this guy is a big fan (Bungies has about a million of those) but he also seems to simply be relaying the exact same message that the trailers and press releases have given us. So to that extent it's clear that his presentation is going to be very pro-destiny.

I knew it wasn't coming out on PC (otherwise I would have bought it for my PC instead) but I didn't realise that it was also coming out on the PS3 and 360. That's actually a bit of a letdown because it means they will have had to design the game to be able to run with the lower ressources of the old generation.

View PostTarthenal Theloman Toblakai, on 12 March 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

Like Silencer mentions this is an MMO FPS not an MMO RPG like for example WOW or SWTOR. MMO just means that a lot of people will be able to play the game together, simultaneously via the internet.

There will probably be some kind of grinding, loot gathering and quest related story gameplay, but it is going to be all about shooting things, and that is something Bungie is good at.

View PostCause, on 12 March 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I also just hope it's a little more like Halo than borderlands. Is Borderlands fun? Hell yes!But Destiny graphics look hyper-real, I would find it strange to shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle and do 10% damage instead of seeing his head explode. Of course there must be a balance between the RPG mechanics and a shooter but except for bossess or strong units that visually look like they can take it I hope the game behaves somewhat like a shooter and less like a pure statistic calculator.

I am hoping for the same. There will probably be some degree of bullet spongyness where you have to whittle down an opponents shield or armor but I certainly hope it's more ala Covenant elites and less like a Bandit with a health bar over their head.

#7 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Did anyone here manage to get access to the Destiny Alpha on the PS4?

Im swithering to buy it or not when its released and i was hoping for some reviews from members.

Ta

DH
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#8 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Don't know if y'all know this, but a few years back I went to a interview with SE (James Barclay Q&A) in Hull.
I told us that he'd been approached by Bungie to write for a up and coming SF FPS RPG type affair. He was very tight lipped about it, but I had an inkling that it was destiny.
I hope he took them up on the offer, I'm pretty sure he did. Might be worth checking out the game credits and looking for one Steven Lundin!
Thought I'd share.
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#9 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:23 PM

There was a more recent interview - I forget which one - where he said the stuff he was doing with Bungie fell through.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#10 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostDeadHedge, on 26 June 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Did anyone here manage to get access to the Destiny Alpha on the PS4?

Im swithering to buy it or not when its released and i was hoping for some reviews from members.

Ta

DH

I'm in the Xbox One beta starting on the 23rd... I'll have impressions sometime this weekend. I'm sure its going to feel like a Co-op Halo mixed with Instanced MMO Content, but w/e.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

1. Destiny is awesome.
2. A friend and myself beat the Devil Walker by ourselves. It took a while, but it was soooooooooo worth it!
3. This game is going to be sooooo good. There are a few artificial walls/invincible enemies blocking the ways forward in the Beta, but man it's going to be so awesome once the whole thing is available.

Also, did I mention we killed the Devil Walker? And played on a fan in the Tower. That was fun too.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#12 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Yup I've been enjoying it too.

I also duo'ed a devil walker. Have been enjoying the 'defend the war-sats' things, those get really hairy at the end.

Waded into PvP, feels odd. Not bad, but odd.

Also I got a new ship, so suck it!
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#13 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

I haven't paid much attention to this game. It sounds great, but I hate how much AAA games reveal before release - people basically know everything by the time the game comes out.

Anyway, I do have a few questions. How much does this game support exploration? Is level design linear, or is there a lot of freedom to go anywhere you want? Do you guys think there will be enough content to keep people seeing new stuff even 50-100 hours in, or are we going to be replaying the same stuff after the first 30 hours?

I know it's probably tough to judge some of these things from the beta. I'm most interested in how much freedom I'll have to wander across different planets and explore new places.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#14 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Glad that its so far looking liek a good game.

Im trying to convince my wife and a few friends to buy it as we regularly play in a group of 4/5 of us, which leads me onto how many of us can play in a single mission/instance.

Are there any restrictions on 'party' size for missions at all. I know that there are some instances where its max of 3 players, however are there larger instances where you can play with a group of your friends only?

If not i feel i may end up passing on this ^_^.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#15 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Seems like your PVE strike teams are set to 3 with the max, and the one pvp mode they have available has 6 as the max.

That said, you can see where your friends are playing and just show up, although I assume its instanced so I don't know if you would get in the same instance as them or not.

#16 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostDefiance, on 24 July 2014 - 05:25 AM, said:

I haven't paid much attention to this game. It sounds great, but I hate how much AAA games reveal before release - people basically know everything by the time the game comes out.

Anyway, I do have a few questions. How much does this game support exploration? Is level design linear, or is there a lot of freedom to go anywhere you want? Do you guys think there will be enough content to keep people seeing new stuff even 50-100 hours in, or are we going to be replaying the same stuff after the first 30 hours?

I know it's probably tough to judge some of these things from the beta. I'm most interested in how much freedom I'll have to wander across different planets and explore new places.

I don't think it's hard to judge. There is a dedicated exploration 'mission' for each map - no story missions, basically.

You get vehicles which move really fast. And the devs have said you can, always, travel to what you can see.

This is going to sound ridiculous, but it would take hours just to traverse the entirety of the beta environment by foot. I know this, because just on the parts I've been to? There are areas barred by invincible, super-powered enemies, and invisible walls, just to keep us in our level range for the beta. Beyond those points, is more map. The map is already large.

Secondly, what I'm talking about is one environment, on one planet. This game is going to be gigantic. And infinitely expandable - they could just keep adding more parts of earth for a year and still end up with more room than we can explore. And I can already see the moon, and then there's the rest of the solar system.

Content most likely will not be an issue. XD I'm also not sure what their plan is, but there's no reason for them not to allow you to travel directly between environments on the same planet.
I recall an early interview where they said something to the effect of it taking too long for you to go the whole way on foot, so most players would opt to use their spaceship for fast-travel, but it being entirely possible to go on the ground if you want.
Not sure how far that holds now, but Bungie are serious about the scale. This thing has the potential to end up like EVE in terms of scope, basically.

Shinrei said:

#17 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostObdigore, on 24 July 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

Seems like your PVE strike teams are set to 3 with the max, and the one pvp mode they have available has 6 as the max.

That said, you can see where your friends are playing and just show up, although I assume its instanced so I don't know if you would get in the same instance as them or not.

Could be a beta limit, too.

Still, more than three in the current instances seems like it would be too much. But I think they should have larger squads for some stuff - they talked about events which would need more than 3 people to win - but whether those are open-world events where people can just drop in or actual large-scale instanced raids...not sure.

Off to play more shortly. The shooting mechanics are pretty solid, and everything has a good feel/sense of impact to it, which is nice.
Riding the Sparrow feels awesome!

PvP should be interesting. I'll agree with Obdi that it's a bit weird...only jumped in once though.

Also, all of this is with a level cap of 8. That locks out heaps of silks and stuff, obviously. There are weapons which do ten times what mine currently are. (Not sure how that will work in PvP given that's what those guns are for...I assume there is some scaling/hefty matchmaking though.)

Shinrei said:

#18 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Is this Borderlands with Halo engine? I really enjoy both but really liked the rpg elements of Borderlands compared to Halos fairly linear single campaign.

Im glad its multi platfrom so I can continue not to decide what to get

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

Been playing this yesterday evening and some this afternoon.

I am not really feeling it. I've of course been following the various news surrounding the game and I thought the actual gameplay looked kind of bland. Playing this demo has not changed my opinion. It just feels so middle of the road. Pedestrian almost.

I am playing it on a PS3 and the game looks old but hey that is to be expected, I am used to playing on PC. However the environments, the structures and the tower city hub seem really uninspired. None of what they are showing is nearly Sci-fi or Fantasy enough for my liking.

The gunplay and the enemy AI is okay but why am I fighting with assault riffles, revolvers and LMGs in the third millennium? Why is my grenades on an extremely long timer? Generally I think the shooting is good but I have yet to encounter a weapon I was truly in love with.

I hope they are keeping something back about the story because so far it is nearly non-existent. What am I fighting for? Who am I? They talk of a city but I have no connection to it. The ghost companion is terrible. Why does an advanced AI from a robot moon sound like it speaking via a 1950s short wave radio?

Generally, what bothers me is that nothing about this game seems cutting edge or game changing. Maybe it will come. Maybe the beta is deceptively low key. How ever, as the game stands, unless the reviews reveal that there is much more coming later in the game, I don't really feel a need to buy this on day one any longer.

This post has been edited by Apt Hoc: 26 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

#20 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostApt Hoc, on 26 July 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Been playing this yesterday evening and some this afternoon.

I am not really feeling it. I've of course been following the various news surrounding the game and I thought the actual gameplay looked kind of bland. Playing this demo has not changed my opinion. It just feels so middle of the road. Pedestrian almost.

I am playing it on a PS3 and the game looks old but hey that is to be expected, I am used to playing on PC. However the environments, the structures and the tower city hub seem really uninspired. None of what they are showing is nearly Sci-fi or Fantasy enough for my liking.

The gunplay and the enemy AI is okay but why am I fighting with assault riffles, revolvers and LMGs in the third millennium? Why is my grenades on an extremely long timer? Generally I think the shooting is good but I have yet to encounter a weapon I was truly in love with.

I hope they are keeping something back about the story because so far it is nearly non-existent. What am I fighting for? Who am I? They talk of a city but I have no connection to it. The ghost companion is terrible. Why does an advanced AI from a robot moon sound like it speaking via a 1950s short wave radio?

Generally, what bothers me is that nothing about this game seems cutting edge or game changing. Maybe it will come. Maybe the beta is deceptively low key. How ever, as the game stands, unless the reviews reveal that there is much more coming later in the game, I don't really feel a need to buy this on day one any longer.

In general I felt similarish while I've been playing. I was especially a bit dubious about the likely level cap of 20 - given it took less than a day to get to level 8 in the Beta, either the rate needs to slow (in which case they're risking a bit of a grind) or the level cap will be reached long before the content is exhausted, given the amount of content they've promised/implied. Either way, there is a problem there.
It's entirely possible of course that level 20 is not the actual cap, or is a temp cap like they did with Halo Reach and Lt. Col. in multiplayer. Who knows.

As for the gunplay, I actually quite enjoy it. You're not supposed to fall in love with the weapons too much - you do level up and they become outdated quickly. Plus, as far as I'm aware, none of the weapon customisation options are in the game yet save for a few upgrades. Same with armor. That should add considerable depth.
As for why we're using old style guns...c'mon, is that really a complaint? For a start, the explicit Golden Age of humanity at least implies a large degree of cooperation and harmony, and a lack of wars leads to reduced progress in weapons technology. After the various alien species started kicking our asses, well...it's implied it didn't take long for us to get beaten pretty badly. Doesn't leave a lot of time for millennia-scale weapons advancement, coupled with such severe tech regression we can barely build any of our other stuff to Golden Age levels anyway (like ships).
Plus, it's a Bungie game. They like designing near-future weapons. Just look at Halo. The most advanced human weapons go in five hundred years is apparently one rather large shoulder-fired laser and maybe a rail gun. So it was hardly likely that we'd get exotic future weapons in Destiny.
And your grenades...aren't grenades. They're magic. Pay attention.

But I love the pacing. The multiplayer is just a bit slower than CoD and maybe a fraction faster than Halo, and that seems about spot-on, for me. Single-player is fairly easy if you're fighting things up to and +1 or 2 to your level. Beyond that it gets hard, which seems about right. That being said, lower level mobs can sap your health if you're too bold. Not enough to kill you, 99% of the time, but enough to make you pay attention again.

As for the story...dude...it's an MMOFPS. The story isn't meant to be incredibly mindblowing, it's meant to drive your level progress along a logical route...if you want to. I'm sure there's a lot more there - at least, in terms of side stories and worldbuilding, because Bungie love that stuff.

The robot was deliberately re-voiced to sound "more robotic" because of fan feedback. He used to sound a lot more like his VA, Peter Dinklage. So that one is on the fans, my friend. Besides, have you ever heard the Monitor speak? This stuff is pretty standard Bungie fare and there's no particular reason the Ghosts - created by the Traveler - should sound anything other than like they're talking through a 1950s radio. Who knows how the Traveler actually works, or what it understands of humanity?
Perhaps the Ghosts choose their own voices?

As I said, I'm not sold on the game - though I will be playing it because cooperative shooters are rare enough as is - but a lot of your critiques seem a bit...predisposed to negativity/pedantic. There's a lot about the game that is middle of the road, but I'm pretty sure based on what I've heard (I've not been following the game closely - just on the periphery/indirectly via friends) that there's a lot more depth to be had in most of the areas you're concerned about.
My main worries are about the leveling and quantity of content. This game is supposed to last for quite a while in terms of content. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 46 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users