• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Words of Radiance (SPOILER THREAD)

#41 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

I'm rereading* Way of Kings and I hadn't remembered the guy Amaram is writing to at the end is also namedropped by Gavilar as a possible assassin-sender in the beginning.

*skipping all the Shallan and flashback Kaladin and mostly skipping the present day Kaladin chapters cause god damn
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.

#42 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

I am worried about how much crossover there might be in this series. Nightblood showing up seems more significant than just an easter egg. If you end with too many shiny toys at once you don't know which one to play with. So if every significant character, tool or magic system suddenly appears on Roshar they will all become less special.

#43 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Hoid/Wit is the only one I remember passing through, and he's never really piqued my interest in the other novels. So, I think for casual fans there'll be no problems.

Nitpickers/Obsessers will always be problematic in these things. Hell, the DT Compendium proves that.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#44 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

There's also three other characters from other Cosmere books (the guys hunting Hoid in Book 1, and another much more prominent character) on Roshar, one from the MISTBORN planet and the other from ELANTRIS. Sanderson is definitely ramping up the Cosmere connections with each book.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 23 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#45 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Just finished the book yesterday, and wow, what a great read!

To those questioning Jasnah's powers, it's stated early on that she shares Soulcasting with Shallan, but that she doesn't have the Lightweaving ability, so where Shallan is a Lightweaver, Jasnah is not. In the last chapter when she reappears, Wit says she was Elsecalling, so I'm assuming she's going to be an Elsecaller.

So far we've seen a Surgebinder (Kaladin), a Lightweaver (Shallan), an Elsecaller (Jasnah), a Bondsmith (Dalinar), and then whatever the cobbler and the little girl are - they have the overlapping regrowth ability, but I don't think we get official names for what kind of Radiants they are. There's also Renarin, but I'm worried about him because his ability apparently is to 'see,' which to me implies he's going to have visions of the future, and we've been told throughout the book that seeing the future is of the Voidbringers.

I'm excited to see what kind of Radiant Lopen is going to be, as well as the other Bridgemen who were hinted at having powers (someone mentioned offhand that they saw some bridgemen glowing during the big final battle).

Dalinar being a Radiant was hinted throughout the book, but for me, it was made very clear when he was in the hospital tent during the last battle and the person checking his cut comments on how many scars he has and how he should, by all rights, not be able to even use his arm anymore. Seems to me like that means that he's got something healing him, which must mean stormlight. I'm certainly interested to see what it means to be a Bondsmith.

Re: the Parshendi who did not want to take on Stormform - Thude basically took off with them, and they went down into the chasms. I think they're going to pop back up later, though whether they end up on the Alethi side or not is going to be interesting. I have a feeling that Rlain will end up bringing them into the fold to fight the Voidbringers. I certainly think the Voidbringers and the Everstorm are going to be a little more complex than 'all Parshmen/Parshendi will become Voidbringers as soon as an Everstorm passes.'

Re: Taravangian and the Diagram - I really enjoy the idea that they've become somewhat of a religious order. I get the impression that the Ghostbloods are part of this group, but I'm not sure whether I read that correctly or not. It's certainly piqued my interest, and I look forward to that story developing more.

Then there's Amaram's crew, which tied to Gavilar, and they were trying to bring on a Desolation (or something close to a Desolation) in order to bring the Heralds back. I'm interested to see where that's going, but their motives are still pretty murky to me. I mean, why risk a Desolation just to bring the Heralds back? What do they expect having the Heralds back will do?

Re: Szeth at the end - I haven't read Warbreaker, so I don't know about Szeth's sword, which you all seem to think is the sword from that novel. When I read that, what with the sword being black and glowing with dark energy, I assumed that this was an Odiumblade. It's been mentioned, I'm pretty sure from an interview with Brandon Sanderson, that there are Honorblades, Shardblades and Odiumblades, and that we had seen all three types in Way of Kings, though it wasn't spelled out for us. I did not get a good feeling from what was going on with the guy with the Crescent-shaped scar on his cheek that claims to be the Herald of Justice (Rin?). The guy spent the whole book going around and killing potential Radiants (the cobbler guy, and he tried to kill Lift too). I think that he's likely been corrupted by Odium, and that although he's going to have Szeth believing that what they're doing is good, it's going to turn out to be evil evil evil (poor Szeth)!

Another thing that I'm interested in are these Ancient Spren, like the Stormfather, the Nightwatcher, and the other two that Taravangian mentions (the one that makes people say things when they die, and the one that gives people the Thrill). It seems like Taravangian is interested in the two that seem most evil - both Dalinar and Adolin say they feel sickened by the Thrill eventually, and the death utterings seem similar to visions of the future, and seeing the future is of the Voidbringers.

That's all the commentary that I can think of right now!

This post has been edited by Blend: 25 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#46 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

I really enjoyed this 2nd book although it was another 1k setup novel like the 1st.

SPOILERS!!!!

My fav character HAS to be Lift though. She's gonna be important for sure. I was quite bummed out with Ym. He had some Cosmere info for sure and should be noted that Cresent Marked guys are different people. Ym's was a Makabi and Lifts was an Azish and they seemed to connected to the Herald Nin who gives Szeth Nightblood.

I had a feeling Jasnah survived but was expecting Yalb and some of the ship crew to be with her.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#47 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:24 AM

View PostBlend, on 25 March 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

Just finished the book yesterday, and wow, what a great read!

To those questioning Jasnah's powers, it's stated early on that she shares Soulcasting with Shallan, but that she doesn't have the Lightweaving ability, so where Shallan is a Lightweaver, Jasnah is not. In the last chapter when she reappears, Wit says she was Elsecalling, so I'm assuming she's going to be an Elsecaller.

So far we've seen a Surgebinder (Kaladin), a Lightweaver (Shallan), an Elsecaller (Jasnah), a Bondsmith (Dalinar), and then whatever the cobbler and the little girl are - they have the overlapping regrowth ability, but I don't think we get official names for what kind of Radiants they are. There's also Renarin, but I'm worried about him because his ability apparently is to 'see,' which to me implies he's going to have visions of the future, and we've been told throughout the book that seeing the future is of the Voidbringers.

I'm excited to see what kind of Radiant Lopen is going to be, as well as the other Bridgemen who were hinted at having powers (someone mentioned offhand that they saw some bridgemen glowing during the big final battle).

Dalinar being a Radiant was hinted throughout the book, but for me, it was made very clear when he was in the hospital tent during the last battle and the person checking his cut comments on how many scars he has and how he should, by all rights, not be able to even use his arm anymore. Seems to me like that means that he's got something healing him, which must mean stormlight. I'm certainly interested to see what it means to be a Bondsmith.

Re: the Parshendi who did not want to take on Stormform - Thude basically took off with them, and they went down into the chasms. I think they're going to pop back up later, though whether they end up on the Alethi side or not is going to be interesting. I have a feeling that Rlain will end up bringing them into the fold to fight the Voidbringers. I certainly think the Voidbringers and the Everstorm are going to be a little more complex than 'all Parshmen/Parshendi will become Voidbringers as soon as an Everstorm passes.'

Re: Taravangian and the Diagram - I really enjoy the idea that they've become somewhat of a religious order. I get the impression that the Ghostbloods are part of this group, but I'm not sure whether I read that correctly or not. It's certainly piqued my interest, and I look forward to that story developing more.

Then there's Amaram's crew, which tied to Gavilar, and they were trying to bring on a Desolation (or something close to a Desolation) in order to bring the Heralds back. I'm interested to see where that's going, but their motives are still pretty murky to me. I mean, why risk a Desolation just to bring the Heralds back? What do they expect having the Heralds back will do?

Re: Szeth at the end - I haven't read Warbreaker, so I don't know about Szeth's sword, which you all seem to think is the sword from that novel. When I read that, what with the sword being black and glowing with dark energy, I assumed that this was an Odiumblade. It's been mentioned, I'm pretty sure from an interview with Brandon Sanderson, that there are Honorblades, Shardblades and Odiumblades, and that we had seen all three types in Way of Kings, though it wasn't spelled out for us. I did not get a good feeling from what was going on with the guy with the Crescent-shaped scar on his cheek that claims to be the Herald of Justice (Rin?). The guy spent the whole book going around and killing potential Radiants (the cobbler guy, and he tried to kill Lift too). I think that he's likely been corrupted by Odium, and that although he's going to have Szeth believing that what they're doing is good, it's going to turn out to be evil evil evil (poor Szeth)!

Another thing that I'm interested in are these Ancient Spren, like the Stormfather, the Nightwatcher, and the other two that Taravangian mentions (the one that makes people say things when they die, and the one that gives people the Thrill). It seems like Taravangian is interested in the two that seem most evil - both Dalinar and Adolin say they feel sickened by the Thrill eventually, and the death utterings seem similar to visions of the future, and seeing the future is of the Voidbringers.

That's all the commentary that I can think of right now!

Lift is an Edgewalker (wrong series) Edgedancer. Don't remember what the cobbler was right now.

#48 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Judging from this handily updated annotated verson of that surge list, either the same as Lift or as Renarin.

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isnít me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like heís me. Look down, back up, where are you? Youíre in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. Whatís in your hand, back at me. I have it, itís an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. Iím on a quorl.

#49 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

I believe Ym was supposed to be a Truth-seer.

#50 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

I just got to the part near the end where Kaladin pulls one of these:

and ohstormfathermypulseisracing.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 31 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

#51 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Finished yesterday. Fantastic. Seriously one of my favorite books of all time.

#52 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Is the next book out yet?

EDIT: Seriously, is it out yet?

EDIT2: Now?

EDIT3: What about now?

EDIT4: I'm jonesing for my Stormlight Archive fix!

EDIT5: Just saw a post on the Sanderson fan forums that said the last book in the series (book 10) is expected around 2025. I don't know if I can wait that long — I might be dead by then!

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 31 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

#53 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

I think that right after that comment was made, someone else commented something that made me think that, instead of them all becoming Radiants, they would have some sort of support capacity (ability to give a Radiant stormlight from their body or something).

I did not get a good feeling from what was going on with the guy with the Crescent-shaped scar on his cheek that claims to be the Herald of Justice (Rin?). The guy spent the whole book going around and killing potential Radiants (the cobbler guy, and he tried to kill Lift too). I think that he's likely been corrupted by Odium, and that although he's going to have Szeth believing that what they're doing is good, it's going to turn out to be evil evil evil (poor Szeth)!

He's Nalan'Elin, one of the Almighty's Heralds. So was that person who Amaram spirited away at the end from Dalinar's warcamp — he was Talenel'Elin.

EDIT: I'd rather link to the Coppermind wiki, as I think it's a bit better and, instead of being limited to just the Stormlight Archive, encompasses all of Sanderson's cosmere. Unfortunately, it's been experiencing downtime the past few days.

EDIT2: Oh, and that sword that Nalan gives to Szeth? It may be Nightblood from Warbreaker.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 31 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

#54 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

It totally is, as in originally Vasher as himself rather than Zahel was meant to train Kaladin in Shardblade combat in the original Stormlight drafts from years ago. Warbreaker is an introduction to the Stormlight Archive characters Vasher and Nightblood, basically.

Also I read some of Sanderson's tweets, listing the names of the main characters for each of the first five books - Kaladin for book 1, Shallan book 2, Szeth book 3, Eshonai (did you really think someone in stormform and shardplate was going to die from a little fall like that) for book 4 and Dalinar for book 5. Then there's some kind of timeskip, and guess who's one of the bookbased characters for one of 6-10? Lift will be, ideally while never saying awesomeness again. Please stop trying to be funny Brandon, you are very much not.

#55 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Lift was the best thing in that book lol. I didn't mind her terms since she's what 12? Also I guess having a 10 yr old daughter saying the same type stuff everyday IRL coulda made it more tolerable??

#56 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 31 March 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

It totally is, as in originally Vasher as himself rather than Zahel was meant to train Kaladin in Shardblade combat in the original Stormlight drafts from years ago. Warbreaker is an introduction to the Stormlight Archive characters Vasher and Nightblood, basically.

Also I read some of Sanderson's tweets, listing the names of the main characters for each of the first five books - Kaladin for book 1, Shallan book 2, Szeth book 3, Eshonai (did you really think someone in stormform and shardplate was going to die from a little fall like that) for book 4 and Dalinar for book 5. Then there's some kind of timeskip, and guess who's one of the bookbased characters for one of 6-10? Lift will be, ideally while never saying awesomeness again. Please stop trying to be funny Brandon, you are very much not.

Yes when either Wit or Shallan talk and people praise their wit I am confused!

#57 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PostCause, on 01 April 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 31 March 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

Yes when either Wit or Shallan talk and people praise their wit I am confused!

Shallan is more punny, and Wit only sounds witty because we know what he's talking about, but none of the characters do.

#58 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

"Awesomeness" makes me cringe as well. Hopefully by the next set of 5 books where Lift will supposedly be more of a main character, she'll be old enough that she'll stop saying it.

Still a good chapter though. But Taravangian had the best interlude.

#59 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:42 AM

View PostSussex Months, on 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Still a good chapter though. But Taravangian had the best interlude.

Some days I wonder if the Nightwatcher put the same curse on me that she put on Taravangian...

#60 User is offline   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

I read somewhere that BS said we won't see a Mistborn vs Surgebinder fight but if I was an author I wouldn't let many tidbits out on future books. He has yrs to change his mind though unless he made it where powers only work on the characters home planet. I would be really cool down the line though for Galladon or Demoux to bust out some Runes and Burning.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users