• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls II

#281 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:28 PM

Individually there not as large but combined they're longer, more bosses too. AoTA was more coherent but then there's more variety in areas and enemies etc with 3 smaller ones. In terms of DLC only I'd give my vote to DS2, there's a lot more content there. No individual moment compared to taking down Kalameet however. I'm pretty sure the season pass is PC only but I might be wrong.

#282 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

Why why why wasn't the main game as good as this dlc?

Crown of the Ivory King is a great level, one of the best I think. I just wish they'd put something comparable in the original release.

I've pretty much finished it now, I've found all four Knights to help in the Chaos. The last one I got was fun though, weapons degraded, health depleted, one last invader to deal with... fortunately I've got enough decent weapons to flip though as they get bashed up (the special attack from the Smelter Sword works wonders in this level).
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#283 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 October 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

Why why why wasn't the main game as good as this dlc?

A real shame the whole game wasn't like this. The so called "B" showing their potential and creativity right at the end.

Ivory King with the knights alongside you and Maldron the Assassin were particular highlights.

That said, expecting me to grind 50 Loyce Souls for the armour and soul was bullshit. Fair enough if they dropped one every time so you had to kill exactly 50. Nope. Low drop rate requiring a fuck ton of boring farming.

I got bored and just killed her after only having around 3 Loyce Souls to show for my efforts. I'd killed the rest of the queens so I just greatbowed her.

Each DLC has had a shite boss as well as the awesome ones, for every Sinh there's the gank squad, Fume Knight and re-coloured Smelter Demon, Aava and Ivory King and well... two Aava's.

If anyone's not already checked out Vaati Vidya on youtube I'd encourage you too. His talent for story telling goes over and above what the developers have put in and there's alot of cool things on the channel. The "Five Things" challenges are awesome, I rarely know anyone of them despite having sunk hours into both games.

Who would have thought that Blighttown's water wheel was powered by one of those red fire dogs running in it like a hamster wheel...

#284 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 15 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

Bloodborne delayed 2 months to avoid clashing release dates with another PS4 exclusive, The Order 1886. Gutted

#285 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

Might not be a bad thing.

The Order may be worth checking out, and Bloodborne will get a last polish.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#286 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

Looks like we're getting a release for next gen on April 7th, pretty much a DS2 Prepare to Die equivalent with all DLCs and some new content and NPCs/expanded story. Will definitely be getting this alongside Bloodborne!

This post has been edited by Wolfdrop: 25 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

#287 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

Yep, the dlc was easily good enough for a second go - it also includes improved gameplay elements... it will be interesting to see exactly what.

I really hope I get a ps4 for christmas...

#288 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

I wonder if the lighting system in the current generation version is going to be as good as what they showed at e3 and in trailers for last generation. If so, I'll definitely be picking up a copy.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#289 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I'm playing this now - I forgot to get the season pass so I'll add the DLC in the coming months. Been too busy to sit down and game for a while.

Currently SL 50ish, maybe 16 hours into the game, have beaten four bosses with the last two being the Heide's Tower of Flame bosses. Currently mucking about in the sunken pirate ships area.

My thoughts: I quite like this game so far - except those fucking pigs in Majula. The enemies are improvements on the first Dark Souls. I'm not using a walkthrough, so I'm fucking up constantly and losing a ton of souls, especially in the sunken pirate ship area because there's quite a few ambushes in there.

I don't know how to get my health back up from half though. I went to human twice and the bar didn't budge.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#290 User is offline   Wolfdrop 

• Fist

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Are you sure you used the human effigy as a consumable and didn't burn it in the bonfire? After playing the first DS for so long that took me a while to catch on to. Not played DS2 since moving from my 360 to ps4 but will probably pick up scholar of the first sin once the price drops. Bloodborne is out in a few weeks, will need to make a topic for it!

#291 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

You need to find the Ring of Binding, which reduces the amount of health lost in hollow form.

Is anyone going to check out the PS4 version, the Scholar of the First Sin? It does look stupidly good, with new enemy locations and dark areas that are actually... dark.. this time around, all running on updated frame rates with sharper visuals.

It's coming out just before Bloodborne though, so interesting as it looks, I don't think I'll have the time for a second playthrough of a game I've already completed, no matter how pretty.

I'll be all over it if for some reason Bloodborne is awful, but that seems unlikely at this point.

#292 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

Oh, I can use the effigy as a consumable? Dang. I thought reversing would be sufficient.

It might not be critical, as I'm doing ok without that much health. Pumped my adaptability stat up for the evasion and learned through fighting the Pursuer thirty times how to really fuckin evade.

#293 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 14 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

Just started this (Scholar of the First Sin), enjoying so far. Kind of lost, and dying a lot (not as much as I thought I would, though...). Just working through the Forest of Fallen Giants at the moment. Went to Heides Towers first and...yeah, no. Got 2k souls out of my excursion but definitely not the way they planned people to go.

Most deaths so far are from one of two distinct causes; the first is obvious, being hubris leading to lack of caution and an death. The second is a bit more frustrating - control quirks. When it's just me making a mistake it's not so bad (although the controls aren't perfectly logical to me which doesn't help), but when my camera does something weird or my attack randomly goes to one side with no discernible cause... Or in the tutorial when I emerged from one of the rooms and suddenly, boom, just walked hard right off the ledge? Yeah, that's annoying in a game that is already punishing in much more legitimate ways... So far it's pretty much 50/50 between these two ways and trial-and-error when I find new enemies.

But that little gripe aside, it's been great, and addictive. Also...it looks pretty fantastic. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#294 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

Are you using a wireless controller that has a dying battery?

#295 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 01:21 AM

View Postamphibian, on 14 June 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Are you using a wireless controller that has a dying battery?

Nope, fully charged (as evinced by the four hours of play after that incident XD). I think that one was just a glitch, the rest of it is just gameplay bugs (some of the weapons I've been using have notoriously bad targeting according to the internet and stabbing walls unintentionally is apparently common) and a generally finicky camera. It's not terrible, but in a game like this it's very frustrating, especially given how great the actual combat is otherwise.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#296 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostSilencer, on 15 June 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Nope, fully charged (as evinced by the four hours of play after that incident XD). I think that one was just a glitch, the rest of it is just gameplay bugs (some of the weapons I've been using have notoriously bad targeting according to the internet and stabbing walls unintentionally is apparently common) and a generally finicky camera. It's not terrible, but in a game like this it's very frustrating, especially given how great the actual combat is otherwise.

In 30+ hours of gameplay, I've had three cliff walk-off deaths. It doesn't happen much (for me).

There are certain weapon attack patterns that often miss if you don't use them right or the targeting reticule to more accurately orient yourself. I'm thinking of the diagonal slash of certain swords on prone/faking their death opponents here.

Stabbing walls is actually a thing you want to do regularly because there are hidden passages behind illusionary walls in certain levels.

I think this is kinda one person's gameplay experience vs another's different experience, so I hope things get better for you.

#297 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

No, look up the rapier and estoc weapons. They're known to be broken to some degree in terms of targeting. Wall stabbing is fine when it's intentional, not so much when it turns you partially side-on to your enemy. XD

I haven't had any more suicide walks, so like I said I think that was just a glitch, but the camera does still occasional swing without me even touching the stick - not as much, but enough to be annoying. These games have always been a tad glitch. *shrug*

Shinrei said:

#298 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostSilencer, on 15 June 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

No, look up the rapier and estoc weapons. They're known to be broken to some degree in terms of targeting. Wall stabbing is fine when it's intentional, not so much when it turns you partially side-on to your enemy. XD

I haven't had any more suicide walks, so like I said I think that was just a glitch, but the camera does still occasional swing without me even touching the stick - not as much, but enough to be annoying. These games have always been a tad glitch. *shrug*

Ahhh, I never use the rapier or estoc (not in Darks Souls 1 either). The playstyle required to use those isn't one I like, so I always, always go for other weapons. So I had no clue about that because this place is essentially the only place I talk about DS (apart from looking up lore stuff on wikis to better figure out storyline connections).

#299 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

Looks like dark souls 2: scholar of the first sin is on sale on steam. Includes all of the previous dlc's. Been waiting for something like this. Gonna buy it. Only 10 bucks as an upgrade.
No Touchy.

#300 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

Looks like a good deal. Still not sure how the new enemy placements will change the game.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users