• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls II

#301 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostTraveller, on 24 December 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

Looks like a good deal. Still not sure how the new enemy placements will change the game.

I'm waiting until the dead of winter to fully finish my first playthrough of the vanilla game, then I'll upgrade to Scholars of First Sin. I know it came out a while ago, but I've gotten sidetracked on many things including a computer upgrade that I want to do in order to push this box to do better performance on games like this and eventually Witcher 3.

Re: the differences - There are more ninjas, more enemies, a new boss, a new NPC that invades you at random in every area (you can get his gear after beating him 5x), and so on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#302 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:35 AM

I don't have DS2 (yet) but got DS1 last year for free when it was on xbox games with gold promotion.

Absolutely loving the game so far, can get through Undead Burg and depths easy enough, however blighttown is a complete bitch. So far plugged about 6 hours max into a character, most of which has involved me exploring.

Does anyone still play DS1?
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#303 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

It's been a while, but I loved that game. I am very excited for DS 3
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#304 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

I don't have my xbox connected anymore, so no.

I would of they did an update to ps4 though, I loved that game.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#305 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostDeadHedge, on 12 January 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

I don't have DS2 (yet) but got DS1 last year for free when it was on xbox games with gold promotion.

Absolutely loving the game so far, can get through Undead Burg and depths easy enough, however blighttown is a complete bitch. So far plugged about 6 hours max into a character, most of which has involved me exploring.

Does anyone still play DS1?

I last played sometime in summer of 2015. It's still a tremendous game.

#306 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

I'm planning on picking up DS 2 for the 360 eventually and when I get an Xbone ill get 3 then

What is everyone's favourite thing about the DS franchise?
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#307 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:42 AM

I love the world building. The forlorn feeling of the world, the sadness of it all really struck a chord with me. Also, it's just so satisfying defeating a boss. It feels like an accomplishment.

I didn't enjoy DS2 as much as 1, but I loved Bloodborne. Thankfully the main guy, the mind behidn the wonderfull level design of DS1 is back for DS3 after having skipped DS2 for Bloodborne.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#308 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

It would be nice to return to the original DS mechanic and that anazing level design with so much depth to it that I just didn't find in DS2. I think DS 3 will be taking some of the advances Bloodborn made and mixing them in - hopefully for the better, but who knows yet.

I really liked the weapon upgrade system with the Embers from DS 1. My favourite thing about the franchise is the tension built through exploration.. creeping through a new area, ever further from the bonfire with an ever increasing number of souls, to level up with - or lose forever.

And the bosses. Nothing like eventually beating something that seemed utterly impossible at the outset, and even after numerous attempts.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 13 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#309 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

The tension filled exploration of areas with their own histories that can be slowly learned by reading bits and pieces of item descriptions alongside being really observant is my favorite thing.

It's not unique to Dark Souls, but the games take it to new heights. The story of Solaire, of Artorias, Havel, and so many more link and intertwine in deeply tragic ways.

#310 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for your thought guys.

As I said I have not long started and I'm probably about 1/4 the way through (beat the gargoyles, Quealag (beat her first try and died after the victory screen due to power within) and just about to beat pinwheel).

My favourite part of the game is probably that its very unforgiving which Is a breath of fresh air as so many games these days give you some form of a crutch, or scales with your level. I have grabbed snippets of the lore here and there but as its so spread out I may do a wiki read of it instead lol.

I also like the fact that you can go anywhere and do anything you want (so long as you have the master key) which makes it feel a bit more open world.

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#311 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

I've started on DSII again. I remember it taking me hours to reach the bonefire in Cardinal tower the first time. It took me 45 mins this time and I did not die once (though fuck the pigs in Majula, seriously ...)
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#312 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

Those pigs can eat shit.

#313 User is offline   BAD 

• Masher of HHT
  • Interests:Sleeping!

Posted 26 September 2022 - 02:15 AM

Just did a Soul Level 1 run of this (SotFS version). Much rage on the run up to Smelter Demon. Otherwise not so bad. Veldstadt was also pretty hard due to not being able to stonewall him with a shield. Not having any type of half decent shield meant I had to "git gud" with rolling. . . with 6 ADP. . .

Just ended up using Hand Axe, Mace, Dagger and Light Crossbow (all Raw). Only weapons I could use two handed without any stat increasing equipment. Heavy reliance on some alluring skulls, poison daggers heh.

Easily the best Dark Souls.
Forum needs more infopop.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users