• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what book do you dislike That everyone else seems to love

#201 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 March 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

Don't think I mentioned this before, but whilst it's not a dislike, The Name of The Wind.

I mean, yeah, it's ok. It's written pretty well, the prose flows, it was easy enough to lose myself in it. But it didn't really sideswipe me like I'd been led to believe. Kvothe isn't particularly likeable, neither is Denna, and the whole university vibe didn't do very much for me (until Auri, anyway). It's one of those books I'd probably have gotten on better with if not for Malazan, though I do plan to read The Wise Man's Fear and when it's released The Winds of... Wait, wait, wrong series.

EDIT: Ignore me, just realised I wrote the same thing a few pages back.

David Eddings' Sparhawk books - another one that hasn't stood the test of time since first reading them when younger. It has its moments, but the characters aren't as witty as Eddings thinks and they tell the same five jokes between them every sodding book.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 20 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#202 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 March 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

Don't think I mentioned this before, but whilst it's not a dislike, The Name of The Wind.

I mean, yeah, it's ok. It's written pretty well, the prose flows, it was easy enough to lose myself in it. But it didn't really sideswipe me like I'd been led to believe. Kvothe isn't particularly likeable, neither is Denna, and the whole university vibe didn't do very much for me (until Auri, anyway). It's one of those books I'd probably have gotten on better with if not for Malazan, though I do plan to read The Wise Man's Fear and when it's released The Winds of... Wait, wait, wrong series.

David Eddings' Sparhawk books - another one that hasn't stood the test of time since first reading them when younger. It has its moments, but the characters aren't as witty as Eddings thinks and they tell the same five jokes between them every sodding book.

I've still got The Tamuli on my TRP, however it did feel like a party of Knightbros going for a casual stroll for a lot of it.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#203 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

Pretty much anything written by Charlie Stross.
His books are genius from the concept point of view (he has beautiful ideas and awesome plotlines), but I absolutely abhor his humour and find his characters grating and boring.
Disclaimer: I've only read Singularity Sky and part of Accelerando and the initial chapters of The Atrocity Archives.
I would give a lot to read Singularity Sky/ Accelerando in either Peter Watts or Ryan Reynold's prose.

Edit: I can't figure out his obsession with horrible romance side plots either.

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 20 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#204 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

If you've read the Belgariad and Mallorean, don't bother with the Tamuli, or anything else Eddings has done.
You aren't 15 anymore and reading his work now will tarnish all those happy memories.

Name of the wind hadms defo been mentioned before, not on a hatred level, but a dragoncow level at least, great prose, bullshit story with arsehole characters, Elodin is the only remotely interesting thing in the series so far to me.

Grown me crying in the bar over a song.
Shut up rofhuss

#205 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 March 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I've still got The Tamuli on my TRP, however it did feel like a party of Knightbros going for a casual stroll for a lot of it.

Agree regarding Eddings, Maark given your reading preferences, I really cannot see you enjoying the Tamuli

#206 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

Dang now I want to reread Eddings. :) I used to have absolutely everything he ever wrote!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#207 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hah, well Eddings will always have a place for me because The Belgariad was my first fantasy series! The Elenium was decent enough - the pacing kept it from ever feeling like too much.

#208 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

Reminds me of the Rinkworks Book A Minute version of the Belgariad. And also, the Mallorean
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#209 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

Eddings is still fun when you are in the mood for a simple, fun, adventure. I also recommend you don't binge his whole body of work or the template he was following will distract you.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#210 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 21 March 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Eddings is still fun when you are in the mood for a simple, fun, adventure. I also recommend you don't binge his whole body of work or the template he was following will distract you.

And as a major plus point, it doesn't have Kaladin. Anything that doesn't have Kaladin can never be truly terrible!

#211 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

If you've read the Belgariad and Mallorean, don't bother with the Tamuli, or anything else Eddings has done.
You aren't 15 anymore and reading his work now will tarnish all those happy memories.

This.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 March 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

Dang now I want to reread Eddings. :) I used to have absolutely everything he ever wrote!

So did i, but i only ever reread the BELGARIAD/MALLOREAN. Everything else made my teeth ache.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 21 March 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

And as a major plus point, it doesn't have Kaladin. Anything that doesn't have Kaladin can never be truly terrible!

You shut up about Kaladin. Kaladian rocks (when he isn't whining or raising irritating moral issues or being all depressed about stuff so obviously not his fault that it makes me want to beat him to death with a hardcover copy of WAY OF KINGS....).
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#212 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 20 March 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

This.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 March 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

So did i, but i only ever reread the BELGARIAD/MALLOREAN. Everything else made my teeth ache.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 21 March 2016 - 01:20 PM, said:

You shut up about Kaladin. Kaladian rocks (when he isn't whining or raising irritating moral issues or being all depressed about stuff so obviously not his fault that it makes me want to beat him to death with a hardcover copy of WAY OF KINGS....).

Kaladin is basically the stereotypical asocial anime mecha super-pilot with the checkered past and personality issues. But I swear, if Sanderson tries to grind him down again, i'll probably drop the series until it's done
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#213 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

I tended to skim Kaladin's whining in the second book, but overall he's a pretty fun character and Brandon writes him well when he doesn't have him wallowing in angstsauce.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#214 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

I usually hate whiny characters, but I honestly never saw Kaladin as whiny. More of a self-loathing at not living up to his own very high standards. I seem to be the only one who never had a problem with him in WoR, and enjoyed him all the way through.

#215 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

No not really

#216 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

View PostBriar King, on 21 March 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

Wha? He's the txt bk version of a whiny bitch boy esp in bk 2.

More emo than anything. And they tend to get a pass sometimes.

Personally, I found him cringe-worthy, but tolerable for the most part.

But never again, Mr. Sanderson.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#217 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I tended to skim Kaladin's whining in the second book, but overall he's a pretty fun character and Brandon writes him well when he doesn't have him wallowing in angstsauce.

Which is never because he is literally MADE of angstsauce.

#218 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 21 March 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

I usually hate whiny characters, but I honestly never saw Kaladin as whiny. More of a self-loathing at not living up to his own very high standards. I seem to be the only one who never had a problem with him in WoR, and enjoyed him all the way through.

Bidithal is a more likeable protagonist than Kaladin. Hell, even Father Hugh is a more likeable man and I've made very clear how physically angry that character makes me.

#219 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

Dang it guys I started reading Pawn of Prophecy, thanks a bundle!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#220 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:45 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 March 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Dang it guys I started reading Pawn of Prophecy, thanks a bundle!

Say hi to Old Burned Face for me!

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users