• You cannot reply to this topic

what book do you dislike That everyone else seems to love

#241 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

Never.
Dragoncow was the moment I went from bored-but-trying-to-finish to actively disliking Name of the Wind.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#242 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

Im not sure what part was the final nail for me. The dragoncow or the string breaking mid performance. Book 2 went to fuck with the elvish love goddess and slid further into the abyss win the sex ninjas.

#243 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

So what kind of hicks go dragoncow tipping?

Very careful hicks, or this one:

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  Hicks.jpg (49.47K)
    Number of downloads: 1

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#244 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:16 PM

NAME OF THE WIND would have been massively improved by the addition of Colonial Space Marines.
And some facehuggers and xenomorphs.

#245 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Hell, the Mhybe would have improved Name of the Wind.

#246 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Yknow what would have made NAME OF THE WIND truly awesome...?

An Evil Chicken.

...riding a dragoncow.

#247 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

View PostMacros, on 24 May 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Book 2 went to fuck with the elvish love goddess and slid further into the abyss win the sex ninjas.

This is where the series lost me as well. I struggled for most of book 2 anyways...and then that sequence was so long and overwrought and needless I was like "I'm out."

So very much like Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards (speaking of which, I don't know if anyone noticed that a few days back Gollancz pushed back the 4th book release to September now) going flying off the rails...unless I hear STELLAR reviews of the final Kingkiller book, I won't be picking it up in anything but a used MMPB down the road.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#248 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 May 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 24 May 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Book 2 went to fuck with the elvish love goddess and slid further into the abyss win the sex ninjas.

This is where the series lost me as well. I struggled for most of book 2 anyways...and then that sequence was so long and overwrought and needless I was like "I'm out."

So very much like Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards (speaking of which, I don't know if anyone noticed that a few days back Gollancz pushed back the 4th book release to September now) going flying off the rails...unless I hear STELLAR reviews of the final Kingkiller book, I won't be picking it up in anything but a used MMPB down the road.

I cant compel myself to finish the third Bastards book. And I LOVED bk 1.

Kingkiller 2 mmpb has sat low in the TRP for ages. No particular likelihood of it surfacing soon, as nothing anyone has told me about it has stirred any need to read it vs so much else.

#249 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:20 PM

The thing about The Name of the Wind is that it does have big flaws standing on its own, moreso than the first, but its highs are also higher and, most importantly, the combination of the two really deepens and opens the series as a whole- the fragments of information and stories and myths and clues scattered over both volumes really start to come together into something really cool.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#250 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 25 May 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

The thing about The Name of the Wind is that it does have big flaws standing on its own, moreso than the first, but its highs are also higher and, most importantly, the combination of the two really deepens and opens the series as a whole- the fragments of information and stories and myths and clues scattered over both volumes really start to come together into something really cool.

What highs? Serious question, what in that book do you consider a high point?

#251 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

Wasn't the dragoncow high as fuck?

#252 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

About as high as any mad sod who gave Wank of Kings a positive review, yeah. Dragoncow be all 'it's lit fam'.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#253 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 May 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

What highs? Serious question, what in that book do you consider a high point?

In the first book, there isn't any specific moment that stands out as awesssssssssome (although I liked the silly music bit in the Eolian, fuck you haters), but basically I really liked the dialogue and character interactions on a Joss Whedon sort of level, and I really like his prose.

In the second book - Cthaeh, mateys. And the bit where Kvothe went terminator on the false Edama Ruh was cool too. And, again, all the character interactions and little stories and things.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#254 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:37 AM

Wow again you who dislike king killer you clearly missed the point.

Your really missing the whole point of the series, in skarpis stories...then re-read.. Remember that Kote is telling the whole narrative. The whole series is being told by narrator that maybe for one moment isn't being honest. Kote is talking about kvothe. Grander then life??

King killer is all about a untruthful narrative. And then when you start doing the re-reads.. The warnings, the ego, the underpinings start becoming aparent....

Then you see.. The fucking tragedy.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#255 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Nico.
Im going to say this politely.

Go read your opening sentence again, and catch a fucking grip.

Because people do not like something as much as you doesn't mean they "don't get it" you condescending..stop macros, you're being polite.

What if we get it, and don't like it or want it.

I want to go of on a rant here but its not the inn, Im trying to be a better person these days

#256 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 31 May 2016 - 04:37 AM, said:

Your really missing the whole point of the series, in skarpis stories...then re-read.. Remember that Kote is telling the whole narrative. The whole series is being told by narrator that maybe for one moment isn't being honest. Kote is talking about kvothe. Grander then life??

King killer is all about a untruthful narrative. And then when you start doing the re-reads.. The warnings, the ego, the underpinings start becoming aparent....

Nah. I generally disliked it because it was overrated and undeserving of the hype. 'Disliked' is too strong a word anyway. I came away feeling indifferent. Average prose, average story, average characterisation. It got a 6/10 from me. The extra point was for his family dying (good scene) and the magic system.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#257 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

The fucking tragedy is that an unreliable narrator with an untruthful narrative produced an uninteresting story.

#258 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostMacros, on 31 May 2016 - 08:55 AM, said:

Nico.
Im going to say this politely.

Go read your opening sentence again, and catch a fucking grip.

Because people do not like something as much as you doesn't mean they "don't get it" you condescending..stop macros, you're being polite.

What if we get it, and don't like it or want it.

I want to go of on a rant here but its not the inn, Im trying to be a better person these days

View PostMaark Abbott, on 31 May 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

Nah. I generally disliked it because it was overrated and undeserving of the hype. 'Disliked' is too strong a word anyway. I came away feeling indifferent. Average prose, average story, average characterisation. It got a 6/10 from me. The extra point was for his family dying (good scene) and the magic system.

View PostAbyss, on 31 May 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

The fucking tragedy is that an unreliable narrator with an untruthful narrative produced an uninteresting story.

Just wasn't sure if y'all were missing the point @ Macro. However, we shouldn't really need to explain something for someone else to like it..so that makes sense. I am into re-read *5!* of this particular series and theirs so much going on on the background that I really hope he does explore.

I can't wait tbh and hope he goes the direction I have clearly read into the series. I honestly love this particular world-building, magic system, and Aleph/Chandrian back/side story...

As with anything we all enjoy what we do for whatever reason. Just not understanding the exact dislike, and was prodding for it last night, for the exact reasoning. Interesting for sure and I hope book 3 really delivers on the promise.... I guess we will see
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#259 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Extreme Dislike--> Prince of thrones--Mark Lawrence.

I own it and haven't been able to finish the first book. This series has a huge following and have tried it now 3 x times. My buddy swears by it. Sometimes my mood calls for Fantasy, sometimes for Science Fiction. So I usually give a book a re-read later, but to not finish a book at all. Hardly ever...

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 31 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

#260 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:34 PM

Maybe you just don't get what the authors trying to do

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users