• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SHANNARA: THE TV SERIES From the SMALLVILE guys and John Favreau

#261 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

It's basically middle-of-the run XENA style TV.

I'm okay with that.

And actually, the best acting in this episode was Bandon...who was arguably the worst actor last season. Maybe he got lessons.

I wonder if the King of the Silver River will show up on this show?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#262 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

@Quick Tidal, what about Malese Jow as Sorry?
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#263 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostMorgan Lefay, on 21 October 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

@Quick Tidal, what about Malese Jow as Sorry?

Perfect.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#264 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:30 AM

I'm 15 min into S2E1 and I'm not sure I can do this anymore. Now that TWD is coming back my hatewatch energy reserves are already going to be stretched thin, and this is even worse.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#265 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 29 August 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I hope it sucks just as much. Few shows suck in this particular way, so it's interesting.

Season 1 threw in a prom somehow, so maybe Season 2 will include a fantasy football game (no pun intended). Like trolls play football with human heads or something.

Don't forget a FILMSTRIP of a Star Trek TOS episode that survived for 1000 years after the earth had a demon/plague apocalypse, a projector that could run it, and electricity that appeared to have been designed to be able PLUG IT IN inexplicably in a world with no electricity...

That whole episode is an affront to logic of any kind.

It's right up there with Harrier jets in working order 1000 years later in Battlefield Earth, along with working simulators. But as we all know that was just a small dent in that particular freeway pile-up of a movie.

@Worry
You can do it, the Hate is strong with you. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#266 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:08 AM

Graymark was pretty cool looking.

She said: "hide these where they won't search you". That means up the butt. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Butt bombs. Exploding taint nuggets.

Better fight choreography as they were escaping Graymark. They must have watched the last episode and said "guys, we can do better, MUST do better".

#267 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:29 AM

That was a pretty solid episode, I gotta say.

Uh, did they lift that from GoT? You know, the part were Bandon says to Tamlin: "when it comes to the Warlock Lord, debts are always paid"

Did anyone else lol when Jax said: "well, I'm gonna go polish my sword".

Boy that first meeting between Allanon and Mareth sure was awkward, but I think they are going to iron out their differences eventually. They're gonna have to.

Yes! And the Sword of Shannara in this episode.

Also, guys, next week not one, but TWO new episodes. SQUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

#268 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

So we had TWO new episodes this past week. Woot! woot!

Any of you guys still on this ride with me? It's still good enough, imo, to keep watching.

* Whoa, queen asshole Tamlin's deal with the Warlock Lord was to allow him to drink from Heaven's Well!? What the!
* Wil, Allanon and Mareth travel to Paranor to save Flick.
* Quite the reveal about Eretria. Hope she can control it. "Armageddon's Children" ? hmmmmmm...
* That seals it. Will's and Mareth's required cooperation to travel to the past, to Shady Vale, confirms she is Allanon's daughter.
* Shady Vale in the past is rather beautiful. And the women! hubba hubba!
* Well, Jax's aid to the cause is solidified after that Crimson atrocity.
* Uh oh. Wil messing with his dad (Shea Ohmsford) in the past is not wise. But they have to find that damned Warlock Lord's skull, dammit!
* And then he just goes right ahead and tells him he's his son. Oh boy.
* Wow, King Ander is laying it on think with asshole Queen Tamlin. I guess he realizes the importance of the alliance.
* Heh. In past Shady Vale, solstice/scarecrow raves must have been a thing.
* The quest for the Warlock Lord's skull seems like it was lifted right out of a video game. blerg.
* Aw. That was such a touching moment between Wil and his Mom in past Shady Vale.
* Since this moved to Spike TV, it's definitely upped the blood, gore and violence factor.
* NOOOOO! Ereitrea likes the feeling of evil!
* Aw shucky ducky! Mareth and Wil are totally falling for one another. You sly dog you.
* Ha. Allanon riding into past Shady Vale and running into young Flick and asking him direction to Ohmsford farm. Pretty cool.
* Awww. Flick's selfless act was heartbreaking. So sad.
* Nice illusion by Mareth. Which one is the real Warlock King's skull?!

* WHAAAAA !!!! THE SWORD OF SHANNARA SHATTERED !!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

*Uh, Allanon poisoned by Bandon's sword?! Uh oh! Wil can heal him, right?!

* NOOOOOO!!! "The Red Wedding" comes to The Shannara Chronicles! Damn, everyone wants to be GoT these days it seems. blerg.

Man, seeing a vagnome's face up close is off-putting!

Holy crap, TIL the actress that plays Eretria played the little girl in Pan's Labyrinth. Man, her acting in Shannara is pretty horrible, I gotta say.

Does anyone else think the score/soundtrack is kind of crappy?

Oh, and guys. Two new episodes coming up this week! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

#269 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Still watching, and thought the last two eps were pretty amazing.

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 November 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

* Whoa, queen asshole Tamlin's deal with the Warlock Lord was to allow him to drink from Heaven's Well!? What the!

This was the first reference the show has made to the Silver River (AKA the heart of all magic) which makes me wonder if an appearance of the King of The Silver River is in the cards in the near future. I'd love for that role to be played by Brooks himself to be honest.

* Wil, Allanon and Mareth travel to Paranor to save Flick.

The switcheroo that Allanon and Mareth pulled to ensnare Bandon was well done.

* Quite the reveal about Eretria. Hope she can control it. "Armageddon's Children" ? hmmmmmm...

This is a DIRECT reference to the bridging trilogy that takes the Knight of the Word (Nest Freemark) books from our world, and sees it through the apocalypse that one day sees the saved portion become the world of Shannara in 1000 years. This is a COOL easter egg for Brook's fans. ARMAGEDDON'S CHILDREN is actually the name of the first book in that trilogy, and this means that Eretreia is the direct bloodline descendant of one of the major people who survived that trilogy to eventually found the place that would become Shannara.

* That seals it. Will's and Mareth's required cooperation to travel to the past, to Shady Vale, confirms she is Allanon's daughter.

Eh, it only confirms that she's a DRUID's daughter. I would not count that particular chicken as hatched yet. She may not be Allanon's. Pyria was not exactly one for telling the truth, she was a secretive elf.

* Well, Jax's aid to the cause is solidified after that Crimson atrocity.

Yep, this is canon-accurate for Jax. It was done nicely too.

* The quest for the Warlock Lord's skull seems like it was lifted right out of a video game. berg.

I'm glad it's not being treated as an end-season finale macguffin though. It's just a waystop to where they are going.

* Since this moved to Spike TV, it's definitely upped the blood, gore and violence factor.

100% They are not afraid to let this be gorier than it was last season. And that's a good thing. Bloodless shows with swords make you suspend a LOT of disbelief.

* NOOOOO! Ereitrea likes the feeling of evil!

I would not worry too much.

* Aw shucky ducky! Mareth and Wil are totally falling for one another. You sly dog you.

I like, this plot line better than the books (where Wil ended up with Eretria after Amberle sacrificed herself because reasons).

Holy crap, TIL the actress that plays Eretria played the little girl in Pan's Labyrinth. Man, her acting in Shannara is pretty horrible, I gotta say.

I think she's pretty good to be honest.

Oh, and guys. Two new episodes coming up this week! SQUEEEEEEEEEE!

Yah, I like the two-episode weeks. It seems they are catching up for a mid-winter break with the other shows that are hiatus-ing now.

Anyways, this show is SCADS better this season. And I have zero complaints about it.

Also, Bandon is an absolutely amazing villain...so much better than the Dadga Mor was last season.

#270 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

I like your replies. I've not read the books so it's nice to get a perspective from someone who has. But, wasn't the shattering of the Sword of Shannara an important thing? You didn't comment on it. Maybe you have some insight (from reading the books) that prevents you from commenting on that? (no spoilers?)

#271 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 November 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

I like your replies. I've not read the books so it's nice to get a perspective from someone who has. But, wasn't the shattering of the Sword of Shannara an important thing? You didn't comment on it. Maybe you have some insight (from reading the books) that prevents you from commenting on that? (no spoilers?)

The sword is only present in the first book (unfilmed series that features Shea Ohmsford, Season 1 skipped over it in favour of the second book, ELFSTONES)...and doesn't reappear for hundreds of years...so shattering it seems fine as it might not be needed...or perhaps this is why Mareth and Cogline (both characters from the FIRST KING OF SHANNARA prequel series which takes place hundreds of years before Wil is born) have been added to the more modern Shannara characters in the show's re-write...they will reforge the sword for use against the Warlock Lord (the Dark Druid Brona)?

Either way.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

#272 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Ah, I see. Makes sense I guess. They seemed to put a lot of emphasis on how important in was when Wil and co. found it, so when it was shattered when he was fighting Bandon, I thought it was a seminal moment that would definitely put them at a disadvantage for things to come.

#273 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:52 AM

Hey guys, I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

Guys, if you were asked to do a face to face staring contest with a vagnome, how long do you think you'd last? And I'm not talking across a table type deal, I mean you have to get right up face to face with one of them. How long could you go?

#274 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Cancelled like a vagnome root canal.

http://www.tvguide.c...icles-canceled/
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#275 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

There IS a bit of light in the tunnel though (for those of us who thought it improved a lot in S2)....as the production company IS shopping it around to other networks to see if someone wants to grab it for a season 3.

It also sounds like the decision stems from Spike becoming Paramount TV now and not due to anything ratings-wise.

#276 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 January 2018 - 08:20 PM, said:

Spike? I thought it was on MTV?

I need to retry once S2 goes on Netflix

MTV first season and Spike the second....both are owned by Viacom...and it seems like they shunted it to Spike to maybe garner more of an audience than they got on MTV?

Anyways, I'd be curious what another network would do with it.

#277 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 January 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

Cancelled like a vagnome root canal.

http://www.tvguide.c...icles-canceled/

Noooooo! This was one of my guilty pleasure watches. It did get edgier when it moved to Spike (and better), but still was pretty crappy at points (especially the acting, across the board, was bad). Damn, I still have three episodes to finish up season 2.

Hopefully someone picks it up though. I think they should fire everyone and start with a new cast and let the handsome, sexy, genius and all around great guy Scott Gimple run it.

#278 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

Was season two better or worse than season one?
Overall

#279 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostMacros, on 18 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Was season two better or worse than season one?
Overall

I mean it was generally better. There was more blood to the fights (the first season was pretty bloodless), the story went off-book and was allowed to be written with a looser adaptation which made it less predictable overall.

It's still not amazing or anything, but it was better.

#280 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 June 2022 - 05:58 PM

Thread necro Posted Image

Holy crap, did anyone see that Elvis biopic trailer? It's the dude from the Shannara show playing Elvis! What-tha-whaaaa! Supposedly he puts in an Oscar winning performance.

I guess they have taken some creative license though. For example, the lyrics to the song Hound Dog have been altered:

You ain't nothin' but a vajgnome
Creepin' all the time.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users