• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SHANNARA: THE TV SERIES From the SMALLVILE guys and John Favreau

#241 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

The trailer confused me. I don't know if it's because I'm familiar with the books and trying to figure out what they are doing, or if it's because the trailer was so disjointed.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#242 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

The actor playing Garet Jax is black. The right wing nerds are already rioting.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#243 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 29 August 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

The trailer confused me. I don't know if it's because I'm familiar with the books and trying to figure out what they are doing, or if it's because the trailer was so disjointed.

They are no longer attempting to adapt single novels, they are blending a few elements of WISHSONG, FIRST KING, and SWORD to come up with their own original season story that takes up the ELFSTONES characters remaining a year later.

This is why I feel like I may enjoy it more, since I don't have to be upset with the adaptation of the source material...since they've essentially thrown it largely out.

View PostAbyss, on 29 August 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

The actor playing Garet Jax is black. The right wing nerds are already rioting.

That's interesting. I actually saw him as black already when I read the novel (I don't know how closely Brooks ever described him).

And Right Wing nerds riot about everything. They are the worst of the worst.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#244 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 August 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

They are no longer attempting to adapt single novels, they are blending a few elements of WISHSONG, FIRST KING, and SWORD to come up with their own original season story that takes up the ELFSTONES characters remaining a year later.

This is why I feel like I may enjoy it more, since I don't have to be upset with the adaptation of the source material...since they've essentially thrown it largely out taken it, thrown it in the shredder, taken the shreds and added grass and meat byproducts, fed the resulting mash to a herd of diarrhetic pigs, collected the outflow, mixed it with clay, baked in a kiln, shattered the result, ground it down to sandlike consistency, used it to pave a stretch of parking lot, then driven leaky pickup trucks loaded with spare manure over it repeatedly, takne a few photos of the resulting blobs and used those as inspiration for the new season along with some random words like 'Shannara' and character names.

FTFY.

#245 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 29 August 2017 - 06:07 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 August 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

This is why I feel like I may enjoy it more, since I don't have to be upset with the adaptation of the source material...since they've essentially thrown it largely out taken it, thrown it in the shredder, taken the shreds and added grass and meat byproducts, fed the resulting mash to a herd of diarrhetic pigs, collected the outflow, mixed it with clay, baked in a kiln, shattered the result, ground it down to sandlike consistency, used it to pave a stretch of parking lot, then driven leaky pickup trucks loaded with spare manure over it repeatedly, takne a few photos of the resulting blobs and used those as inspiration for the new season along with some random words like 'Shannara' and character names.

FTFY.

Sounds like delicious hot dogs to me!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#246 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

I hope it sucks just as much. Few shows suck in this particular way, so it's interesting.

Season 1 threw in a prom somehow, so maybe Season 2 will include a fantasy football game (no pun intended). Like trolls play football with human heads or something.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#247 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

View Postworry, on 29 August 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I hope it sucks just as much. Few shows suck in this particular way, so it's interesting.

Season 1 threw in a prom somehow, so maybe Season 2 will include a fantasy football game (no pun intended). Like trolls play football with human heads or something.

Don't forget a FILMSTRIP of a Star Trek TOS episode that survived for 1000 years after the earth had a demon/plague apocalypse, a projector that could run it, and electricity that appeared to have been designed to be able PLUG IT IN inexplicably in a world with no electricity...

That whole episode is an affront to logic of any kind.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

#248 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 29 August 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 29 August 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

Don't forget a FILMSTRIP of a Star Trek TOS episode that survived for 1000 years after the earth had a demon/plague apocalypse, a projector that could run it, and electricity that appeared to have been designed to be able PLUG IT IN inexplicably in a world with no electricity...

That whole episode is an affront to logic of any kind.

The Amish Rave was epic.

#249 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

Vagnomes alert!

Season 2 of this heaping, burning pile of garbage (well hopefully not Posted Image) begins tonight on Spike tv.

Posted Image

#250 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 October 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

Vagnomes alert!

Season 2 of this heaping, burning pile of garbage (well hopefully not Posted Image) begins tonight on Spike tv.

Posted Image

OH NO...yea?!

#251 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Yeppers.

I dunno, I just think they need some industrial strength lip balm is all.

Spoiler

#252 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:24 AM

Managed about seven minutes. Was tempted to hatewatch. Decided laundry was a better use of my time.

#253 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

I thought it was a solid start to season 2, to be honest. Were there cheesetastic moments? Sure, but that's expected, right?

It didn't putz around and got right into the meat of matters. We catch up with familiar faces. The primary baddie is established. And hey, vagnomes!

It was enough for me to want to watch the next episode. Come on guys, for all the crappy television you watch (and you know you do), you gotta at least give the S2E1 a chance.

#254 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:33 PM

I watched last night, in light of gnomes getting more speaking roles, having stupid mouth makeup seems even dumber now. I think I'm checking out on the show.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

I've got it PVR'ed, was on too late for the parents of a 1+ year old to stay up for (our sleep is precious), and will watch tonight....and as I said, Malese Jow will get me to watch ANYTHING with her in it.

#256 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

Actually, the season opener was solid. I think I've adjusted to how BLATANT the touch stoning of "this is our world a thousand years after an apocalypse" now...enough so things like, say Cogline living in OBVIOUSLY overgrown San Fransisco doesn't bother me too much.

Sidenote: What I like about the Shannara books is how LITTLE the mentions and presence of things from our world are. Like there will be the odd thing here or there...someone finding an overgrown entrance to what was once a "building" from our time or some such....but otherwise it's entirely a fantasy realm. This feels much more like they WANT the callbacks to our time..where Eritrea is scavenging for computer circuit boards with her girlfriend in the rusted out hulk of an aircraft carrier. It's fine...I'm just REALLY having to adjust.

Love the Crimson. They are perfectly realized, and the leader is pretty badass.

Will being much more circumspect about himself and his dealing with people is a nice touch.

Bandon has progressed to the point where I actually BUY him as having gone dark.

The attempted resurrection of Brona, the Warlock Lord...is Shannara-lore candy, so that's a great point. I expect that is the goal of Bandon and his band of skull bearers (I assume that's what they are meant to be) who have mist powers now. I LURVED the mountain stronghold where the Warlock Lord's sarcophagus is, some great matte painting work there. All in all, I love plot lines where someone bad is trying to resurrect someone older and more powerful....especially what is essentially the Shannara version of Sauron/Voldemort.

Mareth. So Mareth is ACTUALLY a character from The FIRST KING OF SHANNARA (my fave Shannara book) which are events that take place 500 years PRIOR to ELFSTONES...and her late show revelation that Allanon is her father...have seemingly been ported from that book where she thought Allanon's predecessor (Bremen; Allanon is a 9 year old kid in that book) was her father...and I wonder if the same that happened there

Spoiler
Will come into play here?

At any rate, it's fine to port her from that book into this and make her Allanon's brood as opposed to Bremen's...it works.

No Jax yet...can't wait for him to be introduced. He's a great character.

Overall, you can TELL the production has switched networks. There is a slightly different approach this season. It's a little less cheesy, a little less hokey, and a little more concentrated on drama.

It's nice to not have to EXPECT the content of WISHSONG...and maybe we will get something fresh.

This premiere did a lot to alleviate my issues with the latter eps last season. I'm in for at least the next few eps for sure.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

#257 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

2nd ep was also good. The guy playing Garret Jax is great so far!

Also, did they UP the blood/gore-quotient this season? I mean, so much axe-based slicing and dicing on this episode...and de-fingering!

But yeah, I'm liking the direction this is going.

Also, the Kingdom of Leah!

#258 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

I watched up through the Garret Jax intro and then turned it off. It's just too cheesy.

#259 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

I stayed around for the whole 60 min. It wasn't as good as the opening episode, but good enough for me to check in next week.

But, boy, is the fight choreography pretty bad. That fight between Jax and the Rovers looked like it was drawn up by some 6th graders playing army in the woods. And how does getting your fingers sliced off = death that fast? I mean, I suppose you could eventually bleed out? But to just drop dead like that? Or maybe he just went into shock and fainted?

And whooo boy, the acting can be horrible too.

The Kingdom of Leah was a let down. Just a bunch of LED spires or some shit. Not too original with the bordello either. Cirque du Soleil/Pink ribbon dancing pared with various characters that foot the description of someone who would frequent a bordello. Not very creative.

But yeah, I'll watch next week. I see how they are setting things up and it sort of got its hooks in me now.

Do you guys think when a vagnome travels with the party the other guys have to hide their boners?

#260 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 October 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

Do you guys think when a vagnome travels with the party the other guys have to hide their boners?

More likely the opposite of that.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users