• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Podcasts What are you listening to?

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

Just listened through episode 8 of Wolverine: The long Night. Out of 10 I believe.

I'm a bit disappointed in this show. It started out following some agents and only mentioning Logan through witness accounts, etc. I thought it would shift to following him directly but it hasn't.

It's still a good show but really, Wolverine isn't even an essential character. It's all about the murder mystery.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 28 October 2018 - 07:58 PM

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

Latest season of SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING is rocking along (season 5), and is as fascinating as anything that's come before.

This time it's about the unsolved murder of a young girl in the mid-1980's in a small northern Canadian town in Manitoba (that was essentially founded by a nickel mining company back in the day).

Dave Ridgen really knows how to podcast investigative stuff.

And the bonus being that I know of Thompson, and the Pas, Flin Flon and the other surrounding small northern towns...I used to hear stories about Thompson when I was a kid, the fabled second to last decently sized town the farthest north you could go (the #1 being Churchill, Manitoba). It always seemed like such a strange, and interestingly Canadian place to be since it was essentially a mine town, and most of the people who lived there and still do seemed generations of families from INCO seeking nickel way back when.

Sidebar: Thompson has since become a haven for crime though, and now stands as the SECOND worst city to live in for rampant all crime in all of Canada (the worst being North Battleford, Sask), but becomes #1 if you flip it to be measuring just violent crime...which is sad.

Also, the theme song is a Tragically Hip song I actually LIKE (Thompson Girl).

Anyways, if you've liked previous seasons, this one is no slouch.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 November 2018 - 04:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:17 AM

For all the 'Poddy Mouths' out there. Posted Image

#44 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 16 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

Very hit and miss but that bit about the advertisement was painfully true.

My award for worst ad placement is the Talk is Jericho podcast where he splices in fake conversation in the middle of an interview to segway into an ad and continues speaking about the product, like the interviewee is actually a part of the conversation.

"Ha ha that's too true Alice Cooper but you know what my poison is? DDP Yoga! DDP Yoga cures cancer and makes the blind see. I am magically fit because I do yoga all day anyway what were you saying about..." Cut to actual content.

I had to stop listening eventually because I was going to get an aneurysm.

#45 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:14 AM

I've been listening to that NXIVM podcast that someone recommended man that's fascinating stuff. Just heard the episode where they interview the lawyer for Keith, amazing journalism! Really compelling.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 December 2018 - 06:14 AM, said:

I've been listening to that NXIVM podcast that someone recommended man that's fascinating stuff. Just heard the episode where they interview the lawyer for Keith, amazing journalism! Really compelling.

That was me! Glad you are enjoying!

Yeah, you can tell that lawyer had fallen entirely for Keith's nonsense....as he spouts it freely.

Also, the second season of UNCOVERED is up now in its entirety, and is about the worst mass murder (bomb on a plane in the 1960's) on Canadian soil in our history. It's very good as well. Not quite as compelling as the NXIVM season, but still wholly interesting.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:29 PM

I'm not sure the Lawyer had fallen for it I think he is very clever and has created a party line and is sticking to it and will repeat the same in court. Also, did you listen to the Fright Experiments extra episode? Terrifying.

I've finished the NXIVM one now and wasn't going to listen to the plane one but as they've done it so well I think I will.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#48 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:13 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 14 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

I finally found out about Critical Role and I've been catching up via their podcasts.

Voice Actors playing D&D, it's a lot of fun.

My D&D group put me on to CR recently - working my way through Campaign 2 at the moment, really enjoying it!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#49 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

I started listening to this podcast called Hey Riddle Riddle.

Positives: I like riddles, puzzles, and word games and they do all that kind of stuff. Three hosts, occasional guests, so it's not just two people who switch roles talking and going "hmm" and "ah". They give you adequate time to think over the riddles & puzzles yourself, so it's not just passive listening.

Negatives: There's one, but it's a doozy...those three hosts I mentioned are all
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#50 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

Serial season 3 was stellar. Though I wonder how much of my enjoyment came from my professional understanding. But wow, the US is a fucked up place.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 December 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

Serial season 3 was stellar. Though I wonder how much of my enjoyment came from my professional understanding. But wow, the US is a fucked up place.

Didn't know there was a season 3 - what's the subject?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 December 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

The City of Cleveland Courthouse. It's about, I don't know how to summarize it well, people's relationship to the courts, the police, the prison system and so on. It's deeply fascinating and very depressing.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#53 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:21 AM

Sounds good! The CBC Uncover podcast about the plane explosion isn't really gripping me...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#54 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 December 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

View Postacesn8s, on 14 September 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

I finally found out about Critical Role and I've been catching up via their podcasts.

Voice Actors playing D&D, it's a lot of fun.

My D&D group put me on to CR recently - working my way through Campaign 2 at the moment, really enjoying it!

Nice!

I'm on Season 1 episode 93. It's been a lot of fun. It's a nice way to cope with my work commute. Being stuck in traffic isn't as bad when there is an entertaining story going on.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#55 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

A teaser dropped for the second season of the wolverine podcast. Sorta pumped. I wasn't completely happy with the first season, Wolverine mostly appeared tangentially, but it was very good quality.

From the trailer it sounds like more superheros and villains will appear in the second season so I'm excited.

#56 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

So, I’m pretty much addicted to Critical Role. Since I played my first DND game I wanted to learn more about playing. Having actual voice actors playing is awesome. And Matt Mercer is phenomenal as the DM.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#57 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

For the other people in the thread who like CR, I recommend the Between the Sheets series for the main cast. I haven't listened to them all yet but Matt Mercer's and Marisha Ray's are particularly affecting, and Brian Foster is a really gifted interviewer.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 28 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#58 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 28 May 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

For the other people in the thread who like CR, I recommend the Between the Sheets series for the main cast. I haven't listened to them all yet but Matt Mercer's and Marisha Ray's are particularly affecting, and Brian Foster is a really gifted interviewer.

I've been saving those for when I've caught up to the show. I've got about 20 episodes and a number of one shots left.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#59 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 14 December 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 December 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

The City of Cleveland Courthouse. It's about, I don't know how to summarize it well, people's relationship to the courts, the police, the prison system and so on. It's deeply fascinating and very depressing.

So I listened to this a while back. A deeply unsettling and anger inducing series. Fascinating, of course, but hard to digest.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#60 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

I'm listening to Potterless. My first podcast and I'm enjoying it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users